PDA

View Full Version : If you could hike only one small section of the AT--what would it be?

prain4u
01-20-2012, 20:51
For a variety of reasons--the majority of hikers will never become AT thru hikers--or even become persons who hike the entire AT in a series of annual section hikes.

Therefore, what are some of your favorite shorter sections of the AT? (For bonus points: What would you consider to be some of the "must see" sights, attractions, restaurants, hostels, shelters, cabins, and experiences along the AT?)

It would be helpful if you also listed a nearby town--or some other way--for "newbies" to find the place that you are recommending.

prain4u
01-20-2012, 20:54
One more thing, if there is a "better" time of the year to visit a particular place--you could maybe mention that too.

brian039
01-20-2012, 20:59
Rangely, Maine to Caratunk, Maine which would take you over the Saddlebacks and the Bigelows or the 100-mile Wilderness from Monson, Maine to Katahdin. Do it in mid-late September for fall colors and mild-cool temps.

Blissful
01-20-2012, 21:03
I mean I can suggest parts of the AT in every state that are a "must" to hike. I know for a fact others have listed already here on WB favorite places to see, favorite eating places and towns. Really the whole AT is great, and it also depends on one's physical stamina, experience and time.

brian039
01-20-2012, 21:07
Rangely, Maine to Caratunk, Maine which would take you over the Saddlebacks and the Bigelows or the 100-mile Wilderness from Monson, Maine to Katahdin. Do it in mid-late September for fall colors and mild-cool temps.

Oh, and for bonus points Rangely is a cool town and Caratunk has a microbrewery, restaurant, hot tub, live bands, and whitewater rafting center. From Pierce Pond Shelter (arguably the best shelter location on the trail), you can take a short detour and get a pancake breakfast in the morning but this has to be pre-arranged. You also get to take the canoe across the Kennebec River right before coming to the road that takes you to Caratunk.

Monson has Shaw's and the Lakeshore House. Then Whitehouse Landing is a resupply point and camp in the 100-mile Wilderness where the owner picks you up on a boat and you are fed really well. Then you end at Katahdin.

Jeff
01-20-2012, 21:09
Vermont...Bennington to Manchester. It's 40 miles with no paved road crossings, two firetowers and Stratton Pond.

Papa D
01-20-2012, 22:06
This is very hard - it would be easier to list the ho hum areas of the trail but I'm trying for some highlights here:

South to North

NOC to Fontana Dam - late Spring / Fall
GSMNP late Spring / Fall
Erwin, TN through the Roan Highlands still cool in summer
Damascus, VA through Grayson Highlands - maybe to Partnership Shelter (shelter w/ shower) summer is fine
Punchbowl Shelter to the Priest, VA summer is fine
Shenandoah National Park and North to Harper's Ferry - Roller Coaster late summer or fall
Bear Mountain NY , Hudson River through CT later summer / fall
Vermont - Stratton Pond, Little Rock Pond late summer to fall
New Hampshire - Glencliff to Gorham - Franconia Notch and Mt. Washington -hardest hiking on AT August / Sept
All of Maine - it's amazing - esp, Monson North - Southern Maine is 2nd hardest hiking on trail July-Sept

Plodderman
01-20-2012, 22:10
Greyson Higlands

Smooth & Wasabi
01-20-2012, 22:11
I have to agree on Rangely to Caratunk (or vice versa) in september. This is a spectacular area and time of year.

jbsbestfan
01-20-2012, 22:17
to papa D. If S. Maine is second hardest part....what is hardest?

Slo-go'en
01-20-2012, 22:17
Anywhere but PA, NJ, NY and CT. :rolleyes: Though the first 75 miles of PA up to Boiling Springs isn't too bad and NY from the Hudson to Kent, CT is a nice walk in the woods, but the rest you could do without and not miss much. Okay, well there are the Blueberrys in NJ and NY in July and a few nice swiming holes along the way, so I guess it ain't all bad. But Maryland, we could do without Maryland. Good thing it's a short state and most don't even notice they walked through it.

I do like North Carolina from Hot Springs north in the spring. That's one section not to be missed. And of course, anywhere in New England in the fall. There is a reason I live where I do - so I can go hike during the 3 nice days in the fall. The trick is finding those 3 days in a row.

Papa D
01-20-2012, 22:20
to papa D. If S. Maine is second hardest part....what is hardest?

I'd say it's a toss-up between that and New Hampshire - depending on weather and trail conditions - what do you think?

fiddlehead
01-20-2012, 23:05
If you could hike only one small section of the AT--what would it be?
Anywhere in Maine would be fine.

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2012, 23:11
Probably the Franconia to Gorham section - because to access the AT in that section from other than the few roads it crosses, you would have at least 100 other different trails to choose from as part of a hike. The downside is that our "3 seasons" are called July, August, and September.:rolleyes:

Don H
01-20-2012, 23:12
I'd like to do the 100 Mile Wilderness again and climb Katahdin on a day where I could see farther than 50 feet!

Jim Adams
01-20-2012, 23:14
Roan Mountain to Elk Park, IMO the prettiest hike of spring in the south.

geek

BigHodag
01-20-2012, 23:52
So far my favorite section has been the Michaux State Forest in S. PA. Cool, quiet solitude on a smooth undulating trail. Being rattled at by a timber rattler was icing on the cake. (If you're going to warn me then I need to experience one.)

My don't miss is Bellvale Creamery (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bellvale-farms-creamery-warwick#hrid:I5ZDNOXH9Wnkad70z_rR-w) on NY17A just uphill from Greenwood Lake, NY. Nothing like sitting there looking own on the valley and the hawks soaring with homemade ice cream and a birch beer.

Hoofit
01-21-2012, 08:23
Grayson Highlands where I had an intimate moment with a pony..........or two.

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 08:28
franconia to gorham. never get tired of it.(except in storms).

DLANOIE
01-21-2012, 09:42
For me any of the AT in NH. I live in Maine and am sorry to say Im getting bored with it! With the exception of the OMW, how many times can you hike Avery or Sugarloaf or Old Speck....I was born and raised in NH and I miss the WMNF alot. I personally love anywhere in Crawford Notch, not just the AT.

mirabela
01-21-2012, 11:12
You don't specify how much time you've got ... but let's suppose you've got a week or so to play with.

It depends a lot on the season, of course -- but some sections I'd definitely enjoy doing again include the Standing Indian / Albert Mountain area (Nantahala NF, basically from whatever the northernmost Georgia road access is, to the NOC in Wesser, NC) or the Mt. Rogers / Grayson Highlands area in VA (springtime would be nice for these, or I suppose they'd probably be fun in later autumn too, once it cools down some); or, in the north, anything from Glencliff, NH to Andover, ME would be great, or anything at all from the Rangely/Stratton area to Baxter SP. You really can't go wrong in there.

Kerosene
01-21-2012, 14:07
Without thinking about it too much, I like Papa D's list (Post #7). I'm partial to September hikes in New England, and October hikes south of there. If I had to pick one, the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus is a nice intro with lots of scenery for the effort.

Papa D
01-21-2012, 14:30
Without thinking about it too much, I like Papa D's list (Post #7). I'm partial to September hikes in New England, and October hikes south of there. If I had to pick one, the 75 miles from Atkins to Damascus is a nice intro with lots of scenery for the effort.

Thanks - yep, you get the Grayson Highlands, nice views, green tunnel, farmer fields and a super trail town to finish in - you should also get a bike and ride around on the Creeper Trail.

lemon b
01-21-2012, 14:41
Kent, Ct to Great Barrington, Ma. in the fall sleeping in a tent. Good people, good views, good finish.

Calculator
01-21-2012, 15:43
It's not my favorite, but a good one that rarely gets much mention is Pearisburg, VA to Villeville(Troutville/Daleville), VA. You get Dragon's Tooth, Mcafee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs for scenery, as well as some ridgewalks for a good variety of walking. You have 4 pines hostel in there, and the homeplace restaurant (which I haven't been to, but other folks last year wouldn't shut up about it), and the all you can eat menu at the TA truck stop in Troutville. And of course there's some good old moonshiner history in those hills.

runt13
01-21-2012, 18:33
new jersey from the gap to ny, think its around 75 to 80 miles, actually may do it this sept / oct with my son. why...its were i live, been walking around those woods since 1976. just never did it end to end. why in sept / oct...small game season starts, gonna try to live on squirrels, rabits and birds.
RUNT

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 18:37
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa14969

BradMT
01-21-2012, 19:32
Kent, Ct to Great Barrington, Ma. in the fall sleeping in a tent. Good people, good views, good finish.

I've done that... nice.

However for me, anything north of the VT/MA border... NH is about as good as it gets.

Papa D
01-21-2012, 19:34
I've done that... nice.

However for me, anything north of the VT/MA border... NH is about as good as it gets.

nothing wrong with skinny dipping in Little Rock Pond, getting out, standing by a campfire and sleeping listening to Vermont owls all night - what an absolutely amazing place

kevperro
01-21-2012, 19:46
My memory is skewed by my personal experience but if I could only do one section again it would probably be New Hampshire. This is even though I got crabs in the hostle up on Mt. Washington.

Cookerhiker
01-21-2012, 22:33
...Pierce Pond Shelter (arguably the best shelter location on the trail), ...

+1 on this one - said so in my '05 journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115466).

aaronthebugbuffet
01-21-2012, 22:47
climb Katahdin on a day where I could see farther than 50 feet!That would be my #1 do over.

Cookerhiker
01-21-2012, 23:11
There are so many nice stretches it's hard to prioritize. Everytime I'm asked, I give 2 answers:

1. Any stretch in Maine mid-August to end of September - just keep in mind Maine is very challenging and rugged, especially from NH through the Bigalows so adjust your schedule accordingly.

2. North Carolina 1st 2 weeks of May - Hot Springs over Roan Mountain to Rt. 19E. (Also recommended by Slo'goen in Post 11). I thoroughly enjoyed this part, especially the profusion of wildflowers.

jlo
01-22-2012, 03:16
For me, I'd have to say the Mt. Rogers area of southern VA in early June. Beautiful fields, wild horses and rhodandrans (sp?) all in bloom. Just a beautiful area.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 09:16
For me, I'd have to say the Mt. Rogers area of southern VA in early June. Beautiful fields, wild horses and rhodandrans (sp?) all in bloom. Just a beautiful area.

Rhododendron - yep - the Highlands make the highlight reel for sure.

slowandlow
01-23-2012, 17:46
Erwin to Grayson Highlands.

SassyWindsor
01-24-2012, 00:06
Depends on what is meant by "small section", if a few miles I'd say Katahdin on a clear day.

Zim
01-24-2012, 14:48
This thread is feeding right into my current dilemma. I was planning an 8-weeker from Erwin to Fayetteville, then hitch my way over to Gettysburgh and end my trip with a charge across the battlefield. PA is my home state and I am a giant civil war nerd, so that seemed perfect. But now I have to cut my trip down to 6.5 weeks, and I can't decide whether to start up in Damascus or let go of my silly fantasy ending and finish in Harper's. I was leaning towards the former, but seeing how much people loved Roan is driving me nuts. AHHHHH!!!

I'm starting in early April, btw....

stranger
01-24-2012, 18:36

...and the Lyme Disease is FREE!

stranger
01-24-2012, 18:42
I guess knowing approximate mileage would be good, are we talking 100 miles? 50? I know alot of people love New Hampshire and Maine, I'm no different...but I don't know if I would send a 'newbie' there. I can't explain it but for me there is something incredibly amazing about the Nantahalas in North Carolina, in particular from Dicks Creek Gap to NOC, about 65 miles.

Kerosene
01-24-2012, 18:53
This thread is feeding right into my current dilemma. I was planning an 8-weeker from Erwin to Fayetteville, then hitch my way over to Gettysburgh and end my trip with a charge across the battlefield. PA is my home state and I am a giant civil war nerd, so that seemed perfect. But now I have to cut my trip down to 6.5 weeks, and I can't decide whether to start up in Damascus or let go of my silly fantasy ending and finish in Harper's. I was leaning towards the former, but seeing how much people loved Roan is driving me nuts. AHHHHH!!!

I'm starting in early April, btw....Finish at Harper's Ferry, where there's still a lot of Civil War history to be found. I'd pick Erwin-to-Damascus anyday over Maryland. However, you might run into a touch of weather over Roan and Grayson Highlands in April. Bring your 15-degree bag (or warmer)!

d.o.c
01-24-2012, 19:02
VA311 to my home just off the blue ridge parkway near salt pond road.. my heart and hiking shoes will forever be there

Tinker
01-24-2012, 20:16
Oh, and for bonus points Rangely is a cool town and Caratunk has a microbrewery, restaurant, hot tub, live bands, and whitewater rafting center. From Pierce Pond Shelter (arguably the best shelter location on the trail), you can take a short detour and get a pancake breakfast in the morning but this has to be pre-arranged. You also get to take the canoe across the Kennebec River right before coming to the road that takes you to Caratunk.

Monson has Shaw's and the Lakeshore House. Then Whitehouse Landing is a resupply point and camp in the 100-mile Wilderness where the owner picks you up on a boat and you are fed really well. Then you end at Katahdin.

Cooper Brook Falls Shelter is a close second to Pierce Pond shelter in my book.

Def. Northern Maine (coming from a "halfer").

lemon b
01-24-2012, 21:04
Some of us folks are imune to the lyme thing.

Blue Wolf
01-24-2012, 21:18
Erwin to Damascus hands down...

lemon b
01-24-2012, 22:23
Also like That there side of Va about 30 miles South of Front Royal and before that there goin back for a week. Very fine views plus plenty of feed.

Zim
01-25-2012, 14:22
Finish at Harper's Ferry, where there's still a lot of Civil War history to be found. I'd pick Erwin-to-Damascus anyday over Maryland. However, you might run into a touch of weather over Roan and Grayson Highlands in April. Bring your 15-degree bag (or warmer)!

Thanks for the advice. That's what I'm starting to lean to at this point.

Seatbelt
01-25-2012, 15:17
There are so many nice stretches it's hard to prioritize. Everytime I'm asked, I give 2 answers:

2. North Carolina 1st 2 weeks of May - Hot Springs over Roan Mountain to Rt. 19E. (Also recommended by Slo'goen in Post 11). I thoroughly enjoyed this part, especially the profusion of wildflowers.

Might keep in mind that the trail will be quite populated along this stretch at this particular time--just sayin' in case you are wanting solitude.

Zipper
01-25-2012, 20:43
I have to agree with most of what I'm reading.
I've returned to Mt. Rogers area, and to the Three Ridges area in VA. Both great for short trips. Planning to return to the area around McAfee Knob and north - Tinker Cliffs - this spring. I dream about going back to Maine in September. i dream of taking two weeks to hike the 100 mile wilderness, since I won't have trail legs! With a zero at White House Landing. And long lunches at Rainbow Ledges and Rainbow Lake and all of the ponds. Ahhhh. . .

stranger
01-25-2012, 21:50
Hey Zim if I had 6.5 weeks and hadn't hiked the south I would hike from Springer to Pearisburg over say Damascus to Harpers Ferry, hands down. Civil War aside of course. Georgia has some great sections, the Nantahalas are great, NOC areas is beautiful, the Smokies rock (crowds to prove it haha) then the Roan Highlands, down into Dennis Cove and Laurel Falls, across Watuga Lake and the Tennessee Turnpike into Damascus, up the Grayson Highlands, down acrosss I 80 and a swim in Dismal Falls before reaching Pearisburg.

I might be hiking central Virginia this year, haven't decided yet, doing the Long Trail first, should be done by early August, then thinking about 3-4 weeks somewhere.

CrumbSnatcher
01-25-2012, 22:40
roan highlands
virginia
springer to erwin
whites
maine
vermont
mass
deli to deli hikes thru NY/NJ
ANYWAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT :-)

BlackCloud
01-26-2012, 01:18
This is very hard - it would be easier to list the ho hum areas of the trail but I'm trying for some highlights here:

South to North

NOC to Fontana Dam - late Spring / Fall
GSMNP late Spring / Fall
Erwin, TN through the Roan Highlands still cool in summer
Damascus, VA through Grayson Highlands - maybe to Partnership Shelter (shelter w/ shower) summer is fine
Punchbowl Shelter to the Priest, VA summer is fine
Shenandoah National Park and North to Harper's Ferry - Roller Coaster late summer or fall
Bear Mountain NY , Hudson River through CT later summer / fall
Vermont - Stratton Pond, Little Rock Pond late summer to fall
New Hampshire - Glencliff to Gorham - Franconia Notch and Mt. Washington -hardest hiking on AT August / Sept
All of Maine - it's amazing - esp, Monson North - Southern Maine is 2nd hardest hiking on trail July-Sept

THE ROLLER COASTER! That's one of the WORST sections.

Wizard 2009
01-27-2012, 20:31
CT/NY boarder to Greylock any time of year. Its never the same hike twice!

lemon b
01-28-2012, 01:24
Jeff the Bennington to Manchester thing is cool except it now takes me 3 plus days. Well with my age and knees and work and all that I gotta set aside 4 days. In the overall picture of working for a living and having brought up three boys. I do try and hike in week off things as of late. Heck did the Long trail in two in my 40's. But damn it 40 up north is hard in a long weekend, But hey the rush of doing it brings me back.

lemon b
01-28-2012, 01:27
Blackcloud my daddy called em the wee wee's. That sectin south of front royal is difficult but a lot of fun. In my head.

Cookerhiker
01-28-2012, 15:17
THE ROLLER COASTER! That's one of the WORST sections.

Blackcloud my daddy called em the wee wee's. That sectin south of front royal is difficult but a lot of fun. In my head.

The Roller Coaster is north of Front Royal. Where are the "wee wees?"

Graywolf
01-28-2012, 18:23
The Roller Coaster? I did this section back in June. Actually from the James River to Harpers Ferry. And loved every bit of it. By the time I got to the Roller Coaster, I actually found it kind of fun. Having water after each PUD, made it more enjoyable and the climbs were not as difficult as many claimed to be. And the beauty was great. JMHO..