PDA

View Full Version : Trail shoes and toes

hawkeye
03-15-2005, 20:37
Has anyone had any problems with using trail running shoes and jamming their toes going downhill? I do a lot of hiking in the Whites and wonder if they will hold up to some of the steep downhill parts. Right now I use Montrail boots that weigh about 4 lbs.

SnakebiteSurvivor
03-16-2005, 05:01
I started out with New Balance hiking shoes and had terrible problems with blisters, toe-jamming on downhills, and general foot woes. Lost two toenails. After a few months of agony, I switched to Cresta boots... sheer comfort! (This sounds like a commercial, hehe, but it's my experience). But lots of people swear by low-cut hiking and trail-running shoes. Try them out on a day hike or overnighter and see what happens. Everybody's feet are different.

SGT Rock
03-16-2005, 07:50
It sounds like they are not the right size, sounds like they are too tight in the toe area.

Alligator
03-16-2005, 09:50
I just switched to trail runners and have only had them out once, so I won't give an opinion about there effectiveness on the downhills. However, one thing I did do was transfer my Superfeet from my boots to the trail runners. I believe one of the functions of Superfeet is to cup the foot, so having them in the shoe might be helpful to avoid sliding. If you do have Superfeet and have not fit the trail runners yet, it would be helpful to have the Superfeet on hand when fitting. I bought my trail runners over the web, but I was more confident that since the runners are like sneakers that I could get a decent fit. I would not do this with boots.

icemanat95
03-16-2005, 10:38
It's all in the fit. A shoe that fits well and holds your foot from sliding forward into the toebox, whether it is a running shoe or a hiking boot, will protect you from toe-jam. I still prefer a bit more protection than running shoes offer and have gone to a lightweight boot from my old-faithful Montrail Moraine's, but I still return to the Moraine's for some conditions.

minnesotasmith
03-16-2005, 10:47
Works well for you? I'm still deciding on one for myself, and the Crestas just look too heavy for south of PA.

D-Con
03-16-2005, 11:24
Agree with Sgt. Rock, try buying trail runners 1/2 to 1 size larger than you normally wear. I started the AT in 01 with boots but switched to Five Tens (Mountain Masters) at the NOC. Wore the Five Tens all the way to New Jersey with zero problems. The great thing about these shoes was the sticky rubber on the sole. I was going up and down rock surfaces where others were sliding and falling. Highly recommend. I believe La Sportiva also has a sticky rubber similar to Five Ten.

MileMonster
03-16-2005, 14:02
I've been a trail-runner wearer (hard to say that, glad I only typed it) for many years now. Haven't had a dead toenail since I switched from boots and I've hiked all over the country, all types of terrain. Nearly all trail hiking, though, and very little bushwhacking. No problems on the AT in the Whites with Montrail Vitesse. I agree that it's all in the fit. Make sure the shoes are big enough. Toenail problems on downhills usually are a result of shoes that are too small. Work on your pack weight, too. You don't want to be toting 60 lbs in trail runners.

Just one hikers opinion...

cabeza de vaca
03-19-2005, 22:16
One thing I have found helps if you have big toe jams, no matter what the reason, is The Really Big Tip by Bunheads. These are soft, flexible toe sacks with a cushiony gel lining that (believe it our not) ballet dancers and other tip toers like Irish dancers and cloggers use in their dance shoes to lessen toe injuries. They can be had at good dance supply shops for about $8.00 a pair. If you are interested, check them out at http://www.bunheads.com/producttext/bigtip.html. I also recommend "toe wraps" as a blister and chafe protector; again, something to be had at dance shops. These may be an alternative to mole skin and because of the padding, offer some jam protection too. I really banged up my big toes on a Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon but after using the Bunheads, I have not had any jams in the same Asolo boots causing bruising or nail loss since, and I have been up and down some knarly trails along the West Rim of Zion as well as some steep, long ones on the AT.