PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil vs Alcohol Stove

shelb
01-21-2012, 00:44
I have only used a Jetboil in the past. This requires me to "freezer bag" cook.

Please advise on how an Alcohol stove works and the merits of one. What model would you suggest for a solo? (I realize I could make one out of a pop or tuna can, but I prefer to purchase one so I don't screw it up..)

Thanks in advance!

blackbird04217
01-21-2012, 01:52
I made a pepsi can stove myself, without any confidence mind you. I just watched some youtube clips, and then set off on my own project. Watching it light the first time (at home) was an amazing experience and I knew it was the stove I'd be taking along with me. If it were to get destroyed, I had everything needed to rebuild one except the cans- and pretty much weightless minus fuel. You will likely want to continue freezer bag style cooking with it to conserve fuel and, at least with a self built model, the heat isn't really adjustable.

Nitrojoe
01-21-2012, 02:23
Ive used a VARGO alcohol stove on my thru hike and was very happy with it. Check out alcohol stoves on line and you will come across a wide assortment of them. The only draw back on them is the slow process of setting up the stove,pouring the alcohol and waiting 3 to 5 minutes to boil your water. Its somewhat lighter than a jetboil if your weight conscious,but the new jetboil sol ti comes very close to near even weight. One other draw back is the availbillity of buying fuel for the jetboil. During my PCT thru a couple of hikers could not buy any fuel for there jetboil in some of the towns along the trail, but the denature alcohol was readily availiable.

wwbriggs
01-21-2012, 02:49
I have both an alcohol stove and a JetBoil. I use them differently. If I want to lighten my load I either go without a stove (hardly ever), or I go with the alcohol stove. However, I find that 95% of the time I really like the speed and convenience of boiling with the JetBoil. There is now a lighter Titanium version too. It is a little pricey, but I have to say this is a solid setup with no complaints from me.

SmokeEater
01-21-2012, 09:37
I love my JetBoil Ti. Not as light as ur small stoves but but it boils water so so fast. No wind screen needed. Most simple stove I have used.

Papa D
01-21-2012, 09:45
I have a bunch of stoves: liquid fuel, canister, alcohol, esbit, even a little wood burner - my least favorite is the jet-boil. I use it in my office for making soup and coffee and it's ok on a road trip or to loan to someone but I think it is really limiting as compared to other stoves.

Grinder
01-21-2012, 09:57
I have alcohol stoves and wood stoves. I get "jetboil envy" every time someone fires one up in camp.

Pack on the back, I don[t miss it nearly as much.

the road to light(er) weight is littered with such decisions.

q-tip
01-21-2012, 10:43
I have a Jetboil--moved to a Soto Stove (3 oz.) using canister gas. My favorite--my Jetboil now collects dust.

RWheeler
01-21-2012, 10:51
Making a soda can stove (pennystove persuasion) isn't all that difficult. If you use a full can to stretch the bottom cup and take your time while fitting the halves together, it's a very quick and simple process.

Also, I found it to be much more beneficial if you score deeply while the razor is in the book. Then all you have to do is press along the line and everything pops apart cleanly.

For holes, I used a pushpin. The size seems perfect, it's not too long, so I don't need to worry about puncturing anything else, and the plastic knob really makes it easy to pop the holes where I need them.

I see you're from MI, so the whole "they're free to make" isn't as true for you as it is for many others due to the deposit on the cans. Being from CT, I had the same issue - each can I tear apart is effectively 5 cents. For you, it'd be 10. But you only need 2, so that's still pretty darn cheap.

amac
01-21-2012, 11:17
take a look at the SuperCat stove. IMO, it's the easiest of the alcohol stoves to make. I've been using one, exclusively on all my hikes for over 2 years. My hiking buddy has a jetboil, it is very loud. Mine is nearly silent. Yeah, it takes about a minute longer to boil, but it takes no time to setup or take apart. The only con I'm aware of is that it doesn't simmer or cook. It's really only good for boiling, although there are designs to make a SimmerCat, I haven't made one.
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

BrianLe
01-21-2012, 11:26
+1 to the supercat type of stove; costs almost nothing to make, easy, effective. I like Skurka's description of this; the supercat article above is great, but Skurka summarizes it well, a lot less to read through to get something that's just dead easy to get right the first time (unlike, for example, a pepsi can stove, which might or might not work out well for you on the first try):

http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

Papa D
01-21-2012, 12:14
I did a section hike (about 100 miles) with a jet-boil a few years back - being a jet-boil novice then, I did a few things wrong - like expecting to be able to actually cook things vs just boil water. Another mistake that I made (hilarious) was that I brought a short spork so I couldn't reach the bottom of the pot. I ended up finding a tent stake that I duct taped to my spork to reach the bottom of the jet-boil. I really think that a pocket-rocket and a 1 qt TI pot is much more useful.

bamboo bob
01-21-2012, 13:34
I really hate liquid fuel so I switched to the Jetboil. No muss no fuss.

Papa D
01-21-2012, 14:35
I really hate liquid fuel so I switched to the Jetboil. No muss no fuss.

There is no doubt that if you JUST want boiling water to pour into freezer bag style meals or a mug of coffee, tea, etc., that the JetBoil is the tool - I like boiling water and cooking IN my pot - I also use my pot for water collection, and other stuff so having it as a separate unit is important to me - I guess before you settle on a stove, the most important thing to define is what you like to eat / drink and how you like to go about preparing it.

get wayaway
01-21-2012, 15:39
Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2012, 15:51
Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.To recycle them as recycleable steel, hook them up to your stove, open the valve to make sure there is no gas left in the canister, and puncture with a can opener(<$1.00). 14966Or you can buy a can opener tool from the canister maufacturers for $6.00 plus.14967

PaperCrane
01-22-2012, 22:25
It really depends on what you want to cook with your stove. Whether its a jet boil or an alcohol stove you'll probably just be boiling water. I would start by just making a few of the simpler alcohol stoves being that they are almost free to build, then buy a jet boil if your not happy with the results. The number one thing I like about alcohol stove is the cost and availability of the fuel. If the apocalypse were to come tomorrow the first place I would go would be the Meijer gas station up the road and grab as many bottles of heet and th Meijer equivilant as possible.

dalemc
02-09-2012, 13:49
How about outside temps?? Is there a certain temp where you ditch the alcohol stove and bring the jetboil?

sheepdog
02-09-2012, 14:06
I have both an alcohol stove and a JetBoil. I use them differently. If I want to lighten my load I either go without a stove (hardly ever), or I go with the alcohol stove. However, I find that 95% of the time I really like the speed and convenience of boiling with the JetBoil. There is now a lighter Titanium version too. It is a little pricey, but I have to say this is a solid setup with no complaints from me.
plus one....

Hoop
02-09-2012, 15:22
"Please advise on how an Alcohol stove works and the merits of one. What model would you suggest for a solo?"

Merits include unpressurized fire, quiet, and ease of set-up. Not as fast as a JB but what's the rush. Take a look at Caldera Cones / Kegs by AntiGravityGear for an efficient well-engineered kit.

Spokes
02-09-2012, 15:24
The merits of one? Well, almost every other thru hiker you met will be using one. You'll be jealous and prolly end up using one too.

PaperCrane
02-10-2012, 15:09
Hybrid maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHfsRTnRSg&list=UUrXDXL8MiQTmRM5H5tU7iWA&index=33&feature=plcp

this is a very complex alcohol stove, but it gives you an idea as to how versatile an alkie can be. As for "real" cooking whether its an alcohol stove, or a jatboil your going to more then likely get stuck fbcing. if you want to simmer go with a canister.

Tinker
02-10-2012, 16:40
User friendly alcohol stove: http://www.packafeather.com/xlstove.html

This is a simmering alcohol stove with some nice features.

I may buy one once I get back to work.

I've been using a Supercat for the past five years. It takes some tinkering :) to figure out how much fuel you'll need. It can simmer with a simple ring cut out of a soda can (see my pics.).

No pot stand means low height which makes for less windscreen material to carry (should fit most cooksets when nested against the outside wall, but I use a titanium foil screen, which rolls up small as a pencil stub and is held together with paper clips, making it adjustable for smaller or larger pots). As mentioned earlier, no pot support means reduced weight as well. I rarely start a cookig fire, but will gladly use an existing fire to save fuel and expense.

My stove and cookset:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/picture_378_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43664)

Speed and convenience are overrated. Simplicity, function, and weight rule. (That's why I use ti pots and cookware - and no plastic utensils to accidentally step on and break).

Astro
02-10-2012, 17:22
I love my Jetboil with the speed and convenience. For me it is well worth the weight.

dalemc
02-15-2012, 12:40
I have been eyeing that packafeather myself.

Tinker - Where do you get the ti windscreen?

turkeywayne
02-15-2012, 22:10
getting ready for my first at trip in june. bought my first alcohol stove from white box stoves. it arrived today so i had to try it. simple setup, took wifes old two quart pot, 1.5 oz heet. water started to boil in 4min and 35 sec. flame lasted a bit longer. what could be easier, especially for a rookie. thanks all you white blaze posters for the great educational comments for us rookies. ps my grandson and i are taking the damascus to wautauga lake trip from north to south. thanks for all the tips and advice

cabbagehead
02-19-2012, 01:58
I sell alcohol stoves at bottlestoves.com for $7 to $8. They weigh less than 30 g (less than 1 ounce), you can stand on them, and they prime/burn well. In cold weather, I recommend putting your stove on an upside down can.

Drybones
02-24-2012, 16:52
I have a canister stove, Jetboil, and various other options but what I have settled on is a homemade alcohol stove I made from the bottom section of an aluminum spray can. I use it in conjuntion with a 24 oz beer can for a pot. Stove, pot, and a very nice wind screen weigh 3 oz. If you go with alcohol use Heet instead of alcohol, burns much better, is cheaper, and has less odor.

turtle fast
02-24-2012, 17:12
On the AT denatured alcohol is easily available. I was an alcohol skeptic until I used an Etowah alcohol stove. It did what I needed and never gave me any clogging problems or mechanical failure. A downside to alcohol is the longer time to get a boil on but when you are talking a another minute or two from say a white gas stove the difference is mute. So you really need that piping hot coffee two minutes faster?

Spokes
02-24-2012, 17:29
....but I prefer to purchase one so I don't screw it up...

If you can open a can of cat food and operate a paper hole punch you can make a Super Cat Stove. Doesn't get much easier.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZgcehnSiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RbIfaVCH0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bamboo bob
02-24-2012, 19:38
I love my Jetboil with the speed and convenience. For me it is well worth the weight.

I use a jetboil and I think the weight issue is overplayed. The alcohol stove plus pot plus cover plus fuel added together should be compared with the Jetboil weight. Also the I get 30 days from one canister. So i think convenience and weight together Jetboil is a winner but certainly not price . the fancy one is 10.5 ounces for $115. That's a lot of Ramen.

cabbagehead
02-26-2012, 23:39
When I go on my next long distance hike, I plan on cooking cabbage in town, using up the fuel (possibly donating or sharing it), and then hiking to the next town without fuel. Also, the amount of alcohol required to cook a meal on one of my stoves is quite small.

My alcohol fuel discoveries: Heet is the best, followed by denatured, followed by isopropyl.

Sinner
03-03-2012, 10:17
Just like bamboo said the weight is overplayed. Logistically how far are you going?, how many times do you plan on using it a day. The fuel canisters are very low weight (3.53 oz per 100g can). I normally mark w/ a perm marker how many times I have boiled 2 cups of water per cannister. The average with the regulator on medium not wide open was between 17-20 uses before it's dead. So about 7oz (2 cans) thats about 34-40 times of use or 80 cups of boiled water.

turtle fast
03-03-2012, 12:34
Some folks use fuel for alcohol stoves that is not denatured...dual purpose here. Can't do that with a Jetboil.

Drybones
03-03-2012, 14:35
I have a jetboil I'll probably continue to use for week end trips but any longer hike I'll use the alcohol stove. Pot, stove and a real nice wind screen weigh 3oz, 2/3 ounce of fuel will boil 2-cups of water at $.14/ounce, and most important, there's nothing to go wrong with it and you can pretty much always find fuel.

LovingCooking
03-25-2012, 09:20
I have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to try to make my own stove. There is a reason that they are sold in the stores in my opinion.

waasj
03-25-2012, 09:26
Had Jetboil and switched to a Giga. Less weight and more heatcontrol. You can't simmer on Jetboil very well. With a Titanium cook set, the weight is less than the Jetboil.

Ashman
03-25-2012, 10:10
I have used both. I prefer Jetboil. I'm usually with a group of 3-5 folks. Dinner goes quicker when you have a JetBoil. If you are freezerbag cooking, the weight between JetBoil and fuel vs alcy stove, fuel, pot, potstand, and windbreaker isn't enough to offset the cooking speeds. YMMV

Spokes
03-25-2012, 10:11
Only Iron Chef's use a JetBoil on the trail and say things like "I'm going to add cilantro and then make a nice chutney." while cooking in the shelter.

The rest of us common folk get by very nicely with a simple alchy stove and just boiling water.

kayak karl
03-25-2012, 10:11
I have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to try to make my own stove. There is a reason that they are sold in the stores in my opinion.
stoves are so simple to make. the "stores" are usually just cottage industries that are mass produceing a homemade stove. jumping on the band wagon to make money off hikers and money is the only reason they are sold in these so called stores. if you choose to buy (i did, once i made enought to know what i wanted) do a search on google. there are many out there that don't stoop to the level of advertizing on forum threads.
KK

Odd Man Out
03-25-2012, 12:21
The only con I'm aware of is that it doesn't simmer or cook. It's really only good for boiling, although there are designs to make a SimmerCat, I haven't made one.
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

A Simmer Cat has one row of holes. A big advantage is it can hold more fuel and burn longer/slower, if that is your desire. Also, I found that if you us cut some short pieces of wire, bent in a "U" shape and drape over the rim of the stove, so that there is about a 1 mm gap between the stove and the pot, the heat output of the simmercat is greatly increased to be almost that of a supercat, giving nice dual use. Or just bring one of each as they cost and weigh very little.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-25-2012, 12:35
I have a Jetboil--moved to a Soto Stove (3 oz.) using canister gas. My favorite--my Jetboil now collects dust. amen to soto use mine for 2 thru trips on the JMT planing on using mine again for this summer trips on the JMT and for the AT next year. Am planing on sending my canisters with my resupply boxes

takethisbread
03-25-2012, 19:52
Jetboil is easier and more reliable. It's also bulkier IMO .

Alcohol is usually lighter, more convenient.

I prefer Jetboil of the two .

But I don't bring a stove on long hikes anymore. I eat ready to eat food only on trail: sandwiches, bagels, nuts, cheese and cured meats and dried fruits.

hikin_jim
04-10-2012, 16:52
I guess before you settle on a stove, the most important thing to define is what you like to eat / drink and how you like to go about preparing it.That actually is the most important thing. Decide first what your cooking style is and what you want out of a stove, and then pick the stove.

As far as a Jetboil is concerned, the Jetboil is a far more versatile system than most people give it credit for. I've been able to get the flames to where I can do a lot of different types of cooking. See The New Jetboil Sol (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-jetboil-sol.html).

Eggs, prepared on a Jetboil:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lNmdGoBfVHQ/T1L8hrJ7X4I/AAAAAAAAEOA/mDD82ESfCys/s575/P1100397.JPG

HJ

waasj
04-12-2012, 09:21
Food is one of those things everybody needs and we all have our own opinions about. Meals are about my favorite thing on the trail, so I don't mind putting in a little extra time and effort (which translates into a little more weight in my food bag)into my meals. But some people can live off Pop-Tarts and beef jerky for days. I have had some really tasty meals in one pot on an Optimus Crux. This time out, I am looking at a homemade alky stove. Quiet, easy to resupply fuel, cheap to make etc...

lemon b
04-12-2012, 12:05
Ordered a kit from gravitygear. So I'll be finding out whats up with alcohol cooking pretty quick. How many oz's of fuel should one carry for a couple of days? Say boiling 24 oz's of water twice a day.

Farr Away
04-13-2012, 12:16
Ordered a kit from gravitygear. So I'll be finding out whats up with alcohol cooking pretty quick. How many oz's of fuel should one carry for a couple of days? Say boiling 24 oz's of water twice a day.

8 ounces? That's a WAG, and likely overly generous. I don't know your setup, etc. That's how much I take for about 32 ounces twice a day, and usually bring some home. (I cook for two.)

I like being able to have a cup of tea if I want it without thinking about whether I'm going to run out of alcohol.

-FA

Not Sunshine
04-14-2012, 09:36
I was out this past week, and to my dismay, my HEET alcohol got too cold to light on stove! I vaguely remember hearing about this warning, but I'd never been out when it was that cold to experience it first hand. I was able to put my 12oz soda bottle of HEET in my jacket pocket and warm it up over the next hour, and once it warmed up, I was able to use it to light my stove. It was too cold not to have a warm meal.

shelb
04-15-2012, 01:08
I normally mark w/ a perm marker how many times I have boiled 2 cups of water per cannister. The average with the regulator on medium not wide open was between 17-20 uses before it's dead. So about 7oz (2 cans) thats about 34-40 times of use or 80 cups of boiled water.

I have always wondered how many uses I could get out of one! It seems like I have a ton of partially filled ones as I start section hikes with new ones. Thanks!

JohnnyMuir
04-15-2012, 12:03

8 would be plenty for sure, my stove will boil 2 cups with about a half ounce.

shelb
04-15-2012, 23:27
So, do stores along the way sell it by the ounce? How much? Do I just pour it into a bottle that I carry for it?

safn1949
04-15-2012, 23:46
I use a canister stove in the truck as I travel,a lot nicer then the old white gas stoves.I am going to guess that 80 cups of water is right as my canisters last a long time.I only use the stove every so often,plus I have 60+ canisters at home.Bulk = cheap.

Wise Old Owl
04-16-2012, 08:54
Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.

Pocket Rocket and Jetboil canisters are steel - all you have to do is puncture the cylinder - REI has a key for that or use a nail and hammer. - I chuck them "over the fence" at the junk yard - where he keeps a stack of steel. This is a local higher end recycle' r in West Chester.

cabbagehead
04-21-2012, 14:48
When it's cold out, be sure to create a barrier between the alcohol stove and the ground. One way to do this is to place the stove on an upside down can.

BobW
04-21-2012, 15:33
Mostly a weekend warrior here and a couple week long trips each year and most of my meals are ziplock meals...for that I love my Vargo & a Snow Peak Titanium mug with a lid that was cut from a tin can. You will want an aluminum foil wind screen. I always keep a couple Esbit tablets in my first aid kit just in case. I keep my alcohol in a small plastic dropper marked with how many uses left. The dropper is clear so I can easily see how many heats I have left. Generally I only heat dinner.

BobW
04-21-2012, 15:40
I have a pocket rocket and it frankly scares the crap out of me. You are cooking on top of your fuel. My fear is how much heat is my pan reflecting back onto the canister??? Maybe I'm just paranoid....I'm sure these companies have tested these stoves intensely, but it makes me awful uncomfortable thinking about cooking on a pressurized bomb...

Moose2001
04-22-2012, 10:05
Look at which stove long distance hikers use the most. I think the numbers are skewed way over to alcohol stoves. Lighter, simpler, easier to get fuel for.

LDog
04-22-2012, 12:00
I have a Montauk Gnat canister stove (1.7 oz), which I use with a Snow Peak 600 ml ti mug w/ Mini Bull cover (3 oz). It simmers well, takes up almost no pack space, and, when combined with fuel weight, it weighs less than alcohol for anything other than a long weekend hike.

Connie
04-25-2012, 05:07
BobW, I have a pocket rocket and it frankly scares the crap out of me. You are cooking on top of your fuel. My fear is how much heat is my pan reflecting back onto the canister??? Maybe I'm just paranoid....I'm sure these companies have tested these stoves intensely, but it makes me awful uncomfortable thinking about cooking on a pressurized bomb...
If worried about the canister, check it: the canister should be cool enough to touch.

My canister stove is the SOTO OD-1R (http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1R.html) with their optional SOTO Micro Windscreen (http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1RW.html). I like the fact it has a steady flame (no sputtering) until the canister is empty. The temperature control is so excellent, I use it with my Outback Oven Ultralight (http://www.backpackerspantry.com/InventoryD.asp?loc=100&item_no=167000&category=test&subcategory=) I attentively keep in the BAKE zone.

I like my .8L Sol Titanium Cooking System (http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-ti-companion-cup.html). I really like it for hot water right now. Even so, I only take it backpacking when I know I will have otherwise lightweight and low volume gear inside my backpack.

For long-distance hiking and camping, the mini Fancee Feest (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php), Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-Sierra-750), Guyot Designs (http://www.rei.com/product/765204/guyot-designs-microbites-utensils) (spatula only) and Snow Peak Short Spork (http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/cutlery/titanium-short-spork-sct-006.html) do it all. The mini Fancee Feest is available on request. Most people use the full-size Fancee Feest alcohol fuel stove. I have a titanium windscreen like this (http://www.suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P9%20Ti%20Windscreen.html) sized right for this stove and cookware optimum efficiency.

For everyday hiking and camping, I like my Woodgaz Folding Backpacking Stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/woodgaz-folding-backpacking-stove.php) and Super Stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/super-stove.php).

For melting snow, the Woodgaz Folding Backpacking Stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/woodgaz-folding-backpacking-stove.php) and Companion Stove (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/companion-burner-for-woodgaz-and-bushbuddy.php).

I prefer zelph's wick alcohol stoves that fill easily, do not spill easily, and do not need to "bloom" and will not flareup. This is because I do not want alcohol fuel burning me, my gear, or burning across the ground.

Trail.BlazR
04-25-2012, 10:27
I've built a cat stove and tested the boil time on it with varying results, depending on the climate(temp/wind).

But, for all of the talk about speed to boil, and who cares if it takes an extra couple of minutes.. I agree. The time to boil doesn't necessarily play into my preference, but what does is the setup and safety aspect...

I feel the jetboil is more stable in regards to feeling comfortable with lighting it up, and walking away for a minute, while I'm going about packing or unpacking gear, knowing it isn't likely to get knocked over.

Also, in times of bad/rainy weather, I'm not comfortable using a catstove in my tent.

But for a through hike, I may consider the CAT instead, as I wouldn't want to get caught with not being able to re-supply my canisters.

zelph
04-25-2012, 17:43
That actually is the most important thing. Decide first what your cooking style is and what you want out of a stove, and then pick the stove.

Eggs, prepared on a Jetboil:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lNmdGoBfVHQ/T1L8hrJ7X4I/AAAAAAAAEOA/mDD82ESfCys/s575/P1100397.JPG

HJ

Many, many alcohol stoves on the market will cook eggs like that as long as you have a quality teflon coated pan, oil/margarine and know how to cook. Jetboils are only as good as the cook/chief using the equipment.:)

zelph
04-26-2012, 16:17
Many, many alcohol stoves on the market will cook eggs like that as long as you have a quality teflon coated pan, oil/margarine and know how to cook. Jetboils are only as good as the cook/chief using the equipment.:)

Oh yeah, having a picnic table makes it easy also:)

waasj
04-26-2012, 20:43
Good point, a good stove doesn't make a good cook, and a good cook can do the job on a not so good stove.

lemon b
05-01-2012, 07:34
Used an alchol stove for the first time last weekend. Was a bit confusing mainly with the fuel count necessary. Took 2 oz's to boil 16 oz's.
Was cold enough that the pond I went by had ice on the edges and the wind was pushing 20 mph at times. Another end that is going to take some getting used to is no sound and the fact the flame can't be seen. Had to refuel and relight once.

Airman
05-01-2012, 07:56
I can't figure out why carry all these stoves that take up so much room. I used an esbit and it worked great. a tenth of the space of these stoves plus it heated water and would even boil the water. So it took a while longer. All I had was time.

FarmerChef
05-14-2012, 16:30
I got my trail name (FarmerChef) for cooking crab chowder one night on the trail. When I go, I take my DIY penny stove and have actually prepared the above eggs from actual in the shell eggs in a nonstick pan. Just to up the ante, I dug a can of cinnamon rolls out of my pack and made 'em up like flapjacks that same morning. Mmmmm. The simmer ring on my alky allows me to cook food just like I do at home. I can even bake cakes on mine but that's a story for another time...

dla
05-16-2012, 18:34
I've had some fun with a Jetboil Sol Al - it is very fast. But I gave it to my son. Why? Partly because it was his birthday, partly because he's always in a hurry, and partly because the Jetboil just isn't my style.

The Trangia always works. I don't have to babysit it. I can fry and simmer if I want to. It won't break because I step on it.

All I do is FB cook anymore, and the Jetboil certainly is the fastest water-boiling setup I've ever used. But speed means less to me than reliability. I own a Whitebox and a bunch of Trangias. Even though the WB is much lighter, I find myself carrying a Trangia setup most of the time. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old :)

samgriffin4
05-16-2012, 20:09
Soda can hombre.

Busker
05-17-2012, 09:47
Alcohol you can get just about any where in the world but what I call gas cylinders change in just about every country - so almost impossible to buy the right standard canister for the cooker you take. After being caught out a couple of time I always now use alcohol, its no different to cook with but you do need a safty container for the fuel and its all a bit heavy - also be careful its out as the flame is not very visible and you can get a nasty burn or start a major blaze!

PUPPYHEAD
05-19-2012, 09:32

Was this comment a joke? Please tell me, yes.

Connie
05-19-2012, 14:12
I did purchase the pan for the JetBoil. The heat exchanger works well. However, the moment you take it off the heat, the heat exchanger helps it to cool down faster.

For that reason, I use the provided adapter for my other pots and pans instead.

In this manner, the JetBoil works reasonably well for cooking. However, I limit that use to car camping or Rest Stops on a long-distance drive.

Most of the time, I use the JetBoil for boiling water for hot coffee at Rest Stops.

As I wrote earlier, I only take it backpacking if I have all lightweight or ultralightweight gear. Then, I take no other cookware, limiting all my cooking to Freezer bag Cooking.

bushcraft
05-27-2012, 17:33
I have used my jetboil for years and is normally better in colder conditions than my alcohol stoves. Although so far this year, due to the mild winter, i have been using the Evernew Titanium Alcohol stove.

Patton
05-29-2012, 22:36
I have been using my Etowah alcohol stove for five years now, but wondered if the jet boil would be better. Then I checked the weight of each with the fuel and found that the alcohol stove was more to my liking for the weight, but the jet boil could be controlled for simmering and different cooking methods.