PDA

View Full Version : new here, family with kids, 2013 schedule, Down syndrome

Oneofsix
01-21-2012, 10:41
Hi everyone
I'm new here. We are hiking the AT in a year . . . with our kids. NOBO, starting March 2013 This has been a dream of mine for 30 years and we've been planning it for 10 years and seriously planning for about 3.

We hiked 192 miles across England this summer (see my blog www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com (http://www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com)) my blog only has the first part of our trip on it - we are moving to Seattle from England in two months . . . so I'm a bit too busy to write much on my blog - but I'm trying :) We are experienced, and are not enterring into this lightly

Just wanted to say hello. One of our daughters has Down syndrome and we expect she may be the first person with Down syndrome to thru hike the AT. If you know anyone with Down syndrome that has hiked the AT . . send me a pm . . .

more later . . . .

Storm
01-21-2012, 11:01
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope you have a great hike.

Loneoak
01-21-2012, 11:06
Welcome from TN

johnnybgood
01-21-2012, 11:17
Welcome to this country and Whiteblaze . There are knowledgeable thru hikers on here so ask questions .

TOMP
01-21-2012, 11:22
Are you moving here on a working visa? If so it could comprimised by this hike.

Oneofsix
01-21-2012, 11:32
Are you moving here on a working visa? If so it could comprimised by this hike.

We are American. Just lived abroad for a few years. I was born in Michigan, raised in Western New York . . . . did my early camping and backpacking in the Adorondaks, the Smokies and Algonquin in Ontario.

We moved to Seattle in 1991. Are moving back in March.

quilteresq
01-21-2012, 13:47
Welcome! Hope to see you out there. That's when I'm hiking.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2012, 13:49
I meet a woman last year the first day on the trail with two early teenage boys with Down synrome or possibly autisum. Which ever, they were definately "special needs" kids and it was a total nightmare for the mom.

It was "her dream" to hike the AT and with a husband on his way to Afganistan as a contractor, she had no choice but to bring the kids with her. Unfortunately, she had done nothing to prepare the kids for the hike. They had never been in the woods before the start of the hike nor had they even put on a backpack. The mom had to suttle three packs up the trail and then try to get the kids to get up and walk, which they would do for about 100 yards before sitting down and refusing to move again. Need less to say, progress was painfully slow, 5 miles was a good day. I heard later it took them well over a week to get to Neels gap, which most people do in 3 days. I'd don't belive they made it any farther than that.

Your situation maybe completely different. If your daughter is already used to being outdoors and walking with a backpack, your chances will be much better then the lady I meet above. If not, I would advise to start training her now. Good luck.

Feral Bill
01-21-2012, 17:28
As a special ed teacher, I have worked with a number of kids with down syndrome who I would be proud to hike with. As Slo-go'n suggests, they need to be properly prepared, like anyone. Best to you and yours.

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 17:40
:welcomeAnd have a great hike.

Hoofit
01-21-2012, 18:33
Hiking over 2,000 miles with young children and packs up and down mountains in six months - I wish you all the luck in the world as long as it truly becomes their dream as well....

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 05:56
Welcome! Hope to see you out there. That's when I'm hiking.

Hope to see you too! are you blogging about it?

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:05
Hiking over 2,000 miles with young children and packs up and down mountains in six months - I wish you all the luck in the world as long as it truly becomes their dream as well....

I know . . . butthe way you put it is not what we are doing. We are walking north. Just like we walked across England . . . up and down, with packs . . . they carry their 10 essentials, we carry the rest (our teeager helps). Our goal is not to high tail it to Baxter Peak, but to experience the trail. We'll get as far north as we can, and then we'l find our way to New England and do whatever of the end we can to end in Maine. (Sorry NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT - we may not see you)

On the "coast to coast" as we call it our longest day was 13 miles with 1800 m . . . so on the AT we might get only 5 mile long days, we're good with that. WE had a 10 mile day we did in 4 hours (it was raining sideways) We snow camp, ski, mountaineer. They are at home in the woods, in the rain, in the snow, and the wind.

We may not do all 2190 miles, but we will try. For us, it is about the journey, not the bragging rights or the peak at the end.

(Side note -three of us are doing PA this summer . . . . the littles are not going to do it at all).

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:15
I meet a woman last year the first day on the trail with two early teenage boys with Down synrome or possibly autisum. Which ever, they were definately "special needs" kids and it was a total nightmare for the mom.

It was "her dream" to hike the AT and with a husband on his way to Afganistan as a contractor, she had no choice but to bring the kids with her. Unfortunately, she had done nothing to prepare the kids for the hike. They had never been in the woods before the start of the hike nor had they even put on a backpack. The mom had to suttle three packs up the trail and then try to get the kids to get up and walk, which they would do for about 100 yards before sitting down and refusing to move again. Need less to say, progress was painfully slow, 5 miles was a good day. I heard later it took them well over a week to get to Neels gap, which most people do in 3 days. I'd don't belive they made it any farther than that.

Your situation maybe completely different. If your daughter is already used to being outdoors and walking with a backpack, your chances will be much better then the lady I meet above. If not, I would advise to start training her now. Good luck.

Our situation is very different than that. All my kids backpacked before they were a year old. They have done loads of camping and backacking, including a 192 mile hike across England. (in addition to 45 mile and 22 mile multi days hikes). My kids love the wild . . . and love to camp.

I am an environmetal ed and science teacher, and have been taking groups of kids into the wild for 25 years. We are prepared for this. As I said in another reply, we are not forcing our kids to do this, we are prepared and our goal is walk north. We're going to get up every day and walk. We expect to be on Baxter Peak sometime in early October (2013).

My daughter - the one with Down syndrome, is an amazing girl and an amazing hiker! check out my blog to see photos of her rocking it. We make the whole thing fun, not a death march.

I know we will have lots of sceptics, that is OK. I just want people to know we are not entering this lightly. People thought we were crazy hiking the coast to coast . . . but we did it, and the kids reflect on it with great pleasure and pride, and they keep asking when they get to do it again (we have it on the calendar for 2021 :))

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:24
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1242180]

They had never been in the woods before the start of the hike nor had they even put on a backpack. The mom had to suttle three packs up the trail and then try to get the kids to get up and walk, which they would do for about 100 yards before sitting down and refusing to move again. Need less to say, progress was painfully slow, 5 miles was a good day.
QUOTE]

I don't have any problem with 5 miles being a good day, but taking kids that have never been in the woods, never had a backpack, and unwilling to walk 100 yards seems like torture.
that is not our family . . . but this is - prepared, enthusiastic, even in the rain (and cold) - quiltersq - when are you planning to start?

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:31
As a special ed teacher, I have worked with a number of kids with down syndrome who I would be proud to hike with. As Slo-go'n suggests, they need to be properly prepared, like anyone. Best to you and yours.

So nice to make you’re acquaintance! My daughter is amazing. She is prepared, we've been working on it since she was born. (if you have a chance to read on my blog you'll hear more about our preparations, including the 192 mile walk we did across England!) We are also hoping to use this trip to bring attention to how much kids with Down syndrome (or other developmental disabilities DD) CAN do. We’re hooking up with some programs along the way and the NDSC (National Down Syndrome Congress) is going to have a link to tell our story and to raise funds.

We know this is a huge monumental task, but as I have said and will say again, our goal is to hike north – and to enjoy the journey. cheers! and thanks for the support

drainwater
01-22-2012, 06:42
Welcome and best of luck to you all! We are hiking the trail in 51days from now, and while are children are not speacial needs like all children they will probably have special needs on the trail. Please follow our jouney @ Rainwater2012.com by following the link to our facebook page where we will be blogging throughout our hike.

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:47
This is Virginia on Day 18 . . . we'd hikes 17 of 18 days, between 5 and 13 miles per day . . . .

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:48
I will check you out right away! All the best . . . . can't wait to hear, read more:)

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:50
This is Virginia on Day 18 . . . we'd hikes 17 of 18 days, between 5 and 13 miles per day . . . .

notice, her compass, her sunglasses, her fleece . . and her good pack with a chest strap . . . and of course her content face!

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 06:53
Welcome and best of luck to you all! We are hiking the trail in 51days from now, and while are children are not speacial needs like all children they will probably have special needs on the trail. Please follow our jouney @ Rainwater2012.com by following the link to our facebook page where we will be blogging throughout our hike.

We are kindred spirits, just read about you . . . we really must be friends . . . .

jerseydave
01-22-2012, 08:02
Welcome and good luck. Enjoy.

jd

Slo-go'en
01-22-2012, 11:27
Oneofsix - sounds like you've got as good a chance as any and better than most. Just keep in mind that up here in NH and Maine, you'll really have to be able to make it at least from one shelter to the next because camping sites in between are scarce and pretty much nonexistant for a group. I guess by then you should know if you can go 10-12 miles over rough trail in a day.

Maybe I'll bump into you guys at the Gorham, NH Wall-Mart :)

Snowleopard
01-22-2012, 12:20
The Barefoot Sisters hiked a considerable distance with a family not related to them (the Family from the North, with children from 2 up). The sisters and the family went through the south together in winter so it was pretty rough. The family was I just finished the sisters' book, an interesting read: "Barefoot sisters southbound" http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Sisters-Southbound-Adventures-Appalachian/dp/0811735303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327248617&sr=8-1

Best wishes on your hike. Update us when you start.

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 13:19
Oneofsix - sounds like you've got as good a chance as any and better than most. Just keep in mind that up here in NH and Maine, you'll really have to be able to make it at least from one shelter to the next because camping sites in between are scarce and pretty much nonexistant for a group. I guess by then you should know if you can go 10-12 miles over rough trail in a day.

Maybe I'll bump into you guys at the Gorham, NH Wall-Mart :)

I hope to see you slo-go-em . . . I think by the time we hit the Presidentials we'll be more than able to handle the miles and the terrain. We had several good distances and elevations on rough trail this summer, but that is nothing compared to 1600 miles of experience. We are used to hiking in the Cascades, pretty rough - and will be doing more training there over the next year, including on snow.

I suppose if we aren't ready for it, we'll have to pull off and finish another time. Hope that isn't us though.

Oneofsix
01-22-2012, 13:25
The Barefoot Sisters hiked a considerable distance with a family not related to them (the Family from the North, with children from 2 up). The sisters and the family went through the south together in winter so it was pretty rough. The family was I just finished the sisters' book, an interesting read: "Barefoot sisters southbound" http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Sisters-Southbound-Adventures-Appalachian/dp/0811735303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327248617&sr=8-1

Best wishes on your hike. Update us when you start.

I have read dozens of books and have heard of the barefoot sisters . . . so look forward to reading the book. I love hearing about other families that have done the trail . . . maybe I have some peers afterall.

We'll update as we continue to plan, and will keep posting on www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com (http://www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com) 30millionsteps . . . how many steps we think our group will take on our walk north . . . .