PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts regarding "repeated threads and the "Search Function"

prain4u
01-21-2012, 13:37
On numerous occasions each week--you will see someone post a variation of this statement:

"This issue has already been discussed here numerous times. Please use the search function first prior to posting"

Personally, I sort of like (or at least don't mind) seeing the same (or similar) topics discussed repeatedly.

I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Here are my thoughts on the topic......

I have been on WhiteBlaze for just over three years. It is my belief that WhiteBlaze is a "fluid" community. New people join every week--older members leave--and other people return to WhiteBlaze after a lengthy absence from reading and posting here. Thus, even though many of the questions and answers to routine topics remain the same, new people are posting these questions and new people are reading the responses. Topics which might be old and familiar to some WhileBlaze members--are new and exciting to other people. Furthermore, there is always the potential that some people are adding new perspectives to old questions based on their more recent experiences.

"Member X" might have some really great information regarding a certain topic--but he/she was perhaps out hiking for a couple months when the question was last posted. When the question is posted (again), "Member X" is now back at the computer and able to share their insights with the group.

I also know that many people (especially "Newbies") don't have enough information at their disposal to even know what topics they should search for in the "search function". The more that one learns about the AT, hiking, and camping--the better they are able to use the search function Until you have a certain level of knowledge, the search function can often be pretty useless.

So, I don't mind if we see the same questions/answers repeatedly. Personally, I can sometimes learn something new from a thread which has been discussed here 100 times. My belief is, if you don't want to read a repetitive thread, you can simply skip those discussions. I do that all the time with threads that hold no interest for me.

RWheeler
01-21-2012, 13:45
There's a difference between posting a new thread for something that hasn't been discussed in months/years, but recently it seems like there have been a lot of threads of the same subject matter being created within days or hours of each other.

Information changes a lot, whether it be from new technology/gear, changes in trails and towns, or new member feedback, so this dynamic should ultimately be embraced. However, members should also take a few moments to at least research on the forums what similar has recently and less-recently been posted. Those posts were made for good reason.

If I personally come across something that's already been covered, I'll give my current feelings on the subject, and try to provide links to any previous posts that may also help. That's me, anyway...

Lyle
01-21-2012, 13:49
I've had this same thought many times. Unfortunately some of the self-appointed guardians of what is "proper" discussion, feel the need to limit the rest of us. They not only want to dictate what topics are appropriate for current threads, but go further to try to limit comments within threads that they deem allowable.

One of the biggest reasons people leave or take extended breaks from WB that I have seen.

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 13:56
I've had this same thought many times. Unfortunately some of the self-appointed guardians of what is "proper" discussion, feel the need to limit the rest of us. They not only want to dictate what topics are appropriate for current threads, but go further to try to limit comments within threads that they deem allowable.

One of the biggest reasons people leave or take extended breaks from WB that I have seen.i agree, but a large part of it is because many threads get hijacked so far away from the OP, turned into a confrontational discussion having nothing to do with the OP.its funny that we can discuss religion and politics on the trail, but here we cant seem to keep it civil.in business, as a rule, should someone bring up politics, Ill switch the discussion to religion and vice versa:)
nothing wrong with new threads on old subjects IMHO. otherwise, just about everything you need to know about hiking the AT has already been posted here. none of us would stay very long. I enjoy a "spirited discussion" myself, its when it starts turning nasty, i leave.Ive come to learn that my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

Sassafras Lass
01-21-2012, 15:24
The biggest problem with the 'Search' function is that it doesn't have enough filters, IMO. Say I put in 'Marmot PreCip.' It returns everything (if you've not narrowed it to a category) in such a jumble that it's a pain to slog through it all - it could be an actual exhaustive and informative thread on the pros/cons/experiences with the PreCip (which is what I desire) or it could be an aside/throwaway comment on pg. 7 of the thread. We need a better way to narrow it down, that would be tremendously helpful.

Spokes
01-21-2012, 15:35
The "Sticky" feature is a good way to capture answers to the more notorious repeated topics. Other forums I belong to use it with much success.

Right now it looks like the only thing WB uses a "Sticky" for is as a welcome tag or to relay other cursory information i.e., the Female Hiking forum, Straight Forward forum.

I've had hit and miss luck using the search function here. It can be pretty aggravating. I get better results using Google and just adding "whiteblaze" to the search line after the main tag items.

TOMP
01-21-2012, 15:47
I can see it both way, sometimes it seems like the same topics come up every week. But I think its just annoying to read that disclaimer (more annoying than the redunant post). It also seems like the same person keeps writing the disclaimer too, must be getting paid for it or something. The historical posts are great if you just want a quick answer but I like to use the WB as an active forum and not a hikers manual.

The search works great if you use the advanced options otherswise its just everything under the sun.

Sailing_Faith
01-21-2012, 15:50
I agree with your assessment.

Serving on several boards as admin/moderator I see this come up over and over... the idea that a discussion is 'done'. The challenge for any board is to maintain the ballance between maintaining intrest of long time posters, and the new member.

I think the folks here on White Blaze do a pretty good job. Now, of course the membership make a board but there are tools that the servants have to make it work. Some times a new thread can be merged with an existing thread to make a discussion productive and to minimize the need for folks to share the same things over and over.

The trail specific (and even shelter specific) sub forums are really a great idea... but they do require a good staff to make work. Someone new comes along and starts a thread in the wrong place about (for example) a shelter, it falls on the moderators to merge it in and make it work... from my perspective they do a pretty good job of that here.

Folks who have been on a board for a while can help by pointing out old threads... but the 'use the search' advice can be off-putting and (I*MHO) should only be used for 'repeate offenders'.

Then again, I suspect this has come up here in the past, and you really should have searched for it before starting this thread... :D

On numerous occasions each week--you will see someone post a variation of this statement:

"This issue has already been discussed here numerous times. Please use the search function first prior to posting"

Personally, I sort of like (or at least don't mind) seeing the same (or similar) topics discussed repeatedly.

I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Here are my thoughts on the topic......

I have been on WhiteBlaze for just over three years. It is my belief that WhiteBlaze is a "fluid" community. New people join every week--older members leave--and other people return to WhiteBlaze after a lengthy absence from reading and posting here. Thus, even though many of the questions and answers to routine topics remain the same, new people are posting these questions and new people are reading the responses. Topics which might be old and familiar to some WhileBlaze members--are new and exciting to other people. Furthermore, there is always the potential that some people are adding new perspectives to old questions based on their more recent experiences.

"Member X" might have some really great information regarding a certain topic--but he/she was perhaps out hiking for a couple months when the question was last posted. When the question is posted (again), "Member X" is now back at the computer and able to share their insights with the group.

I also know that many people (especially "Newbies") don't have enough information at their disposal to even know what topics they should search for in the "search function". The more that one learns about the AT, hiking, and camping--the better they are able to use the search function Until you have a certain level of knowledge, the search function can often be pretty useless.

So, I don't mind if we see the same questions/answers repeatedly. Personally, I can sometimes learn something new from a thread which has been discussed here 100 times. My belief is, if you don't want to read a repetitive thread, you can simply skip those discussions. I do that all the time with threads that hold no interest for me.

Old Boots
01-21-2012, 16:14
I used to be a newbie reading every post. Now I am much more selective. The people who really NEED whiteblaze are the newbies. They may not know what topics are common fare. If they ask a question or make a request answered elsewhere what does it hurt?

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2012, 16:29
i agree, but a large part of it is because many threads get hijacked so far away from the OP, turned into a confrontational discussion having nothing to do with the OP.I don't think hijacking is as bad a problem as some indicate; usually when a thread goes off topic, aka, hijacked, the answer has already been provided. I also don't mind if topics are brought up time and time again, but some are really old and worn out, such as guns or what's going on with the BSA thread, but hey you don't like it, then don't open it. I know sometimes easier said then done, I know I've put my two cents in before when I should've just stayed out, especially with threads dealing with ultralite hiking, but live and learn.

But we can still talk about fracking, since it's necessary for our stove fuels:D

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2012, 16:47
Prain4u - The few times I have been close to the question that you put forth is "we have been down that road before" or "Didn't we see this last week on the other forum" Then I look and the same thead is days apart and started in two places, and hey we are all guilty as charged. I wish new folk would use it more. The issue is never going to go away.

The advanced search works well when I tag a new thread otherwise - it has frustrated me when looking up something that I remember and cant find it.

Storm
01-21-2012, 16:51
Ive come to learn that my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

And no less valid I might add.

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 17:04
And no less valid I might add.i think thats why we keep coming back.by the way, how long does cheese last on the trail?

Cookerhiker
01-21-2012, 22:47
I will sometimes point out, on newly started threads, that the subject has come up and provide the link - only if it's relatively recent. My motivation isn't as much "we already talked about it, let's move on, there's nothing more to say" but rather "hey, there's a lot of good info on this prior thread and maybe you'll find your answer there along with some other good points."

JAK
01-21-2012, 22:51
This issue has already been discussed here numerous times. Please use the search function first prior to posting.

:D

BrianLe
01-22-2012, 00:30
Nice one, JAK. :-)

I'm with RWheeler, i.e., "it depends". It seems to me that if a very very close-to-exact thread has been active recently, it's just more efficient to package relevant discussion together in that same thread, so that folks can benefit from reading a wider variety of responses without seeking out multiple threads to do so.

Perhaps it depends on how it's expressed in feedback; one certainly doesn't want to create a hostile environment or discourage people from interacting, but if that can be avoided it seems to me a good thing to on occasion remind folks that a good way to start out getting ideas/feedback/etc is to search for what's already there, at least as a starting point. I do acknowledge that the search function isn't always the sharpest tool in the shed; one can use a better search tool such as Google or Bing and do a domain constrained search, for example at https://www.google.com/advanced_search
It's an extra step, but clearly a better search engine, less 'noise' to filter through in the results.

Sierra Echo
01-22-2012, 00:42
Ive only seen ONE question asked on here for which there will most likely never be a repeat of.
And that was:

Should I bear bag my false teeth?

Rasty
01-22-2012, 02:22
One of the best questions I have seen on WB.

Ive only seen ONE question asked on here for which there will most likely never be a repeat of.
And that was:

Should I bear bag my false teeth?

rocketsocks
01-22-2012, 03:10
Agreed,no not if your a midnight snack-er,and don't mind sleeping with a squirrel in your mouth.

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2012, 09:37
How many times in order to increase ratings on your favorit sitcom there's a plot with a cute subplot.... or Football with Cheerleaders.... I am fine with a little thread drift....Now go forth and use that search engine....

louisb
01-22-2012, 09:51
A lot of forums have an FAQ stickied at the top with links to common threads. Might be an idea. Of course then you will get "Look at the FAQ" instead of "Use the search button" .

--louis

garlic08
01-22-2012, 09:52
One example of ideas changing over time is boots vs shoes. I once looked at two WB polls, years apart, on the issue. The earlier poll showed a commanding majority using boots and the later poll showed a similar majority using shoes. It's not always a bad idea to continue discussion on the same issue.

I would search for the polls but the search function is so hard to use....

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2012, 09:58
I don't think hijacking is as bad a problem as some indicate; usually when a thread goes off topic, aka, hijacked, the answer has already been provided. I also don't mind if topics are brought up time and time again, but some are really old and worn out, such as guns or what's going on with the BSA thread, but hey you don't like it, then don't open it. I know sometimes easier said then done, I know I've put my two cents in before when I should've just stayed out, especially with threads dealing with ultralite hiking, but live and learn.

But we can still talk about fracking, since it's necessary for our stove fuels:DDamn gator, the fracking comment doesn't make sense with the other "non-mentionable" subject deleted from my post. But it's nice to know fracking isn't offlimits; I'm like a noxious weed, keep plucking at me, but I keep popping up elswhere;):D

Kerosene
01-22-2012, 10:24
I consider respondents that reply with 'use the search function to get your answer' to be lazy. Part of an on-line community is to help others. If it truly has been discussed, then the snide respondent should provide links to the relevant threads. Otherwise, it's not worth their response other than to pad their postings.
Same goes for references to equipment and other topics. It's much more useful if posters provide links rather than just spouting what their opinions.