PDA

View Full Version : Some Iranian hiking quotes for Great North American Hiking society:

Kookork
01-21-2012, 17:16
As most of you might know I am an Iranian living in Canada. I am trying to translate some of the Hiking/hunting/fishing famous sayings for you .

Personally I love White blaze and I am learning a great deal being around this site not just about hiking related issues but about the North American hiking society and the rules and regulations and moral aspects of hiking here. In return I like to share some of the knowledge that has been transferred to me via different sayings that we used to use in Iran.

I am sure you know most if not all of them but it might not be boring to hear what are the famous quotes and sayings in other countries:

Don’t forget three things when going to woods: burner, cutter and sew(er). In other words: Match, knife and needle and thread.

It is safer to Cross the Mountain Rivers in dawn and not dusk. (Most of the rivers/creeks/streams in the mountains are clear and shallower and slower in morning hours especially if they originate shortly from a glacier or snow).

Cover your head if you have cold feet while sleeping and not just your feet ( In a documentary here in Canada I heard that 40percent of body heat loss is from head area so this old Iranian saying has some juice in it I guess)

If you don’t have dry clothes to wear in cold weather, keep walking.
Snakes never attack when you are not moving.( I am not quite sure about the accuracy of this saying but it makes sense to me).

If you don’t have firewood material for more than half an hour then don’t make the fire in cold conditions.( it is controversial and you just take it with a pinch of salt!!!).

Open to any discussion……

Kookork

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2012, 17:21
Just a small correction: Americans only lose 20% of their heat through their head - on average we have a lot less blood flowing to the brain than many other nationalities.

quilteresq
01-21-2012, 17:22
LOL! Sure seems so around election time! I like the sayings!

Kookork
01-21-2012, 17:38
Just a small correction: Americans only lose 20% of their heat through their head - on average we have a lot less blood flowing to the brain than many other nationalities.

That was absolutely funny 4eyedbuzzard.Great correction bro.

sheepdog
01-21-2012, 17:43
Another great Iranian quote: " Are you sure we're not close to the border?"

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2012, 18:32
Another great Iranian quote: " Are you sure we're not close to the border?"Followed by, "شما را تحت بازداشت هستید

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 18:37
What the:eek:

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 18:38
Followed by, "شما را تحت بازداشت هستید
you dont see that in the Boy Scouts!

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 18:43
you don't see that in the Boy Scouts!Sure you do and they do it in sign language too;)

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2012, 19:03
Try http://translate.google.com/ and select persian to english.

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2012, 19:10
LOL! Sure seems so around election time! I like the sayings!You misspelled erection.

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 19:14
That boy is a PEE EYE JEE Hog....good one john

JAK
01-21-2012, 19:59
Another reason there is wisdom in crossing cold streams at dawn rather than dusk is that if you do take a plunge it will be easier to recover, dry off stay warm etc, by day than by night.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:09
I remember in our grade 6 reader a story about a young trapper learning a life lessons. The wisdom he was taught was to alway use two logs when crossing a stream rather than one. In that time and place they used to fell trees in order to cross streams. As the story goes, he was on his way home with a pack full of fur pelts from several weeks on his trap line, and as spring was fast approaching he was making haste, and talked himself into using only one tree in order to make time as he still had many other streams to cross. Long story short he lost all his fur pelts, but was fortunate to escape with his life. I always remember that story, and it has alot of wisdom in it even though I don't intend to chop down very many trees when crossing streams or hiking and camping in the woods these days.

Enjoyed all your quotes and sayings.

dave_phillips
01-21-2012, 20:22
I like that last one - is that because of the energy involved or what?

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:32
I was wondering that also. I think it has to do with the early stages of a fire. If you have 30 minutes worth, you will be able to gather more fuel without it going out. Not sure. Obviously it depends on conditions, and the intent of your fire. Some wisdom outlives its original intent or usefulness, for a while anyways. They are living things in their own right I guess. Some go extinct. Some survive longer. Some adapt and evolve.

I'm still big on fire. Knife also, hatchet in winter. Starting to carry a needle and thread more often, so maybe I'm getting wiser or older or something. Or maybe by sewer I should be packing toilet paper and a trowel. lol

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:39
I make alot of wisdom up. Some one has to.
Not saying it will stand up to the test of time, or Darwin.

Some of my sayings...
1. Layer evenly, but delayer unevenly.
2. Carry 1 ounce of clothing for every 1 degree possible below 85F.
3. Prepare for the climatic worst, not the weather forecast.

I'm not making this **** up. OK, maybe I am.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:44
In winter, 3 hours out can turn to 3 days back.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:46
When lost, make tea.
p.s. Always be prepared to make tea. Hot tea.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:48
Be prepared to be unprepared.
Learn how to find yourself lost.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:50
The sooner you find yourself lost, the sooner you will find yourself found.

JAK
01-21-2012, 20:59
The people of the Labrador shore used to travel without maps, but knew their way from memory. They had an interesting and I think more accurate expression for being lost, which was to be "turned around inside their head'. In many cultures this might be the orgin of modern day expressions like having your head on backwards. The full meaning of this came to me as I was hiking the woods along the North Shore of the Bay of Fundy and was suddenly surprised to find that someone had lifted up the entire Bay of Fundy and moved it from one side of the trail to the other. I stopped for tea until they moved it back.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2012, 21:01
As most of you might know I am an Iranian living in Canada. I am trying to translate some of the Hiking/hunting/fishing famous sayings for you .

Personally I love White blaze and I am learning a great deal being around this site not just about hiking related issues but about the North American hiking society and the rules and regulations and moral aspects of hiking here. In return I like to share some of the knowledge that has been transferred to me via different sayings that we used to use in Iran.

I am sure you know most if not all of them but it might not be boring to hear what are the famous quotes and sayings in other countries:

Don’t forget three things when going to woods: burner, cutter and sew(er). In other words: Match, knife and needle and thread.

It is safer to Cross the Mountain Rivers in dawn and not dusk. (Most of the rivers/creeks/streams in the mountains are clear and shallower and slower in morning hours especially if they originate shortly from a glacier or snow).

Cover your head if you have cold feet while sleeping and not just your feet ( In a documentary here in Canada I heard that 40percent of body heat loss is from head area so this old Iranian saying has some juice in it I guess)

If you don’t have dry clothes to wear in cold weather, keep walking.
Snakes never attack when you are not moving.( I am not quite sure about the accuracy of this saying but it makes sense to me).

If you don’t have firewood material for more than half an hour then don’t make the fire in cold conditions.( it is controversial and you just take it with a pinch of salt!!!).

Open to any discussion……

Kookorkaren't you happy you don't live in iran?

JAK
01-21-2012, 21:04
Don't worry about what you will be wearing most of the time.
Worry about what you will be wearing when you have to wear everything.

JAK
01-21-2012, 21:17
The more I learn about people, the more I love dogs and the land, and I'm not so sure about dogs.

Kookork
01-21-2012, 21:23
I like that last one - is that because of the energy involved or what?

I think it is the energy involved and the fact that after end of fire I always have problem coping with the freezing feeling that comes after. Overall fire does not help to warm me up if it is for such a short time but it is me.

Kookork
01-21-2012, 21:36
aren't you happy you don't live in iran?

I love my country and hate the dictatorship of the current Islamic government.

I am feeling home here in Canada but I like to look at myself like Salmons. I will go back there when time comes to an end in my life cycle.

I will happily live here but I intend to die back home.

Canada for me has been like the ocean for Salmon.They start and finish in the original river but they grow and live mostly in oceans and large lakes.

JAK
01-21-2012, 21:58
Never go farther than half way into trouble.
Carry enough food and water for both trips.

In winter, half way changes with the weather.
Three hours in can change to three days back.

JAK
01-21-2012, 22:33
I love my country and hate the dictatorship of the current Islamic government.

I am feeling home here in Canada but I like to look at myself like Salmons. I will go back there when time comes to an end in my life cycle.

I will happily live here but I intend to die back home.

Canada for me has been like the ocean for Salmon.They start and finish in the original river but they grow and live mostly in oceans and large lakes.Very nicely put. You must be a wild salmon. Unfortunately most Canadian salmon seem to be farmed these days, which can make it difficult for the wild ones. Rarer still are those salmon that manage to spread into new rivers or back into rivers where salmon have died out for one reason or another. You could be one of those also. The odds are mostly against such salmon, but without such salmon, how would they have spread to begin with? Whatever your destiny, I hope you never stop yearning for it. Be it for home, or freedom, or something new, the yearning's the thing that will help get you there.

JAK
01-21-2012, 22:46
Go with what you know, and learn as you go.

Take ideas from others, tempered with personal experience.
Nothing is real until it is realized through personal experience.

Kookork
01-21-2012, 22:50
Very nicely put. You must be a wild salmon. Unfortunately most Canadian salmon seem to be farmed these days, which can make it difficult for the wild ones. Rarer still are those salmon that manage to spread into new rivers or back into rivers where salmon have died out for one reason or another. You could be one of those also. The odds are mostly against such salmon, but without such salmon, how would they have spread to begin with? Whatever your destiny, I hope you never stop yearning for it. Be it for home, or freedom, or something new, the yearning's the thing that will help get you there.

Thank you Jak.

Karma or destiny or whatever you might call it is the boss and calls the last shot. I can just enjoy the journey wherever it is.

JAK
01-21-2012, 23:27
A good sense of humour will go a long way also. If I'm not entirely thrilled with what karma or destiny brings me, and if there is anything to this karma stuff I likely won't be, I could probably settle for some half way decent irony. There's always plenty of that. :-)

Never despair. Life's not a zero sum game. If nothing else, life is at least something, and something is infinitely more than nothing. That never adds up. But never despair, unless of course, that's all you've got left. If so, try and make the most of it. Rescue a small cat. Call it Fate. If it has a kitten, call it Grace. Worked for me. Just sayin.

JAK
01-21-2012, 23:38
Gracie now sits on my chest once again, resting or falling asleep once again, content and healthy and happy and 6 months old and booked to be spayed in 10 more days and 9 more hours never to have a kitten of her own. God forgive me.

I suppose in time I might find one for her.

Rasty
01-22-2012, 00:11
I thought Darwin was English not Iranian?

Another great Iranian quote: " Are you sure we're not close to the border?"

scope
01-22-2012, 00:39
You really got this Yogi Berra thing down JAK !!

strollingalong
01-22-2012, 05:20
how does one pronounce Iran in Iran? just for arguments sake... do Americans over-emphasise the 1st syllable? EYE-ran sounds ridiculous

Kookork
01-22-2012, 15:03
how does one pronounce Iran in Iran? just for arguments sake... do Americans over-emphasise the 1st syllable? EYE-ran sounds ridiculous

Funny to ask since what we pronounce Iran in Iran is not a bit similar to what North American do. we say eeraan with no stress in any part but if I pronounce it what it is people would be confused.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2012, 10:39
... we say eeraan with no stress in any part but if I pronounce it what it is people would be confused.I don't think it would confuse anyone if you pronounced it, "eeran"; seems to me I've even heard it pronounced that way before. Countless words in America are pronounced differently, there's even a few threads on how to pronounce Appalachian. I'd imagine that's an issue world-wide.

Ender
01-24-2012, 10:51
Funny to ask since what we pronounce Iran in Iran is not a bit similar to what North American do. we say eeraan with no stress in any part but if I pronounce it what it is people would be confused.

I don't think it would confuse anyone if you pronounced it, "eeran"; seems to me I've even heard it pronounced that way before. Countless words in America are pronounced differently, there's even a few threads on how to pronounce Appalachian. I'd imagine that's an issue world-wide.

Agreed... that's usually how I hear it pronounced here in NYC.

atraildreamer
01-24-2012, 13:27
ما می رویم به بستن تنگه هرمز!

آنها فرستاده می شود که چگونه بسیاری از ناوهای هواپیمابر؟

:eek: اوه ، تلخه!

Old Hiker
01-24-2012, 23:00

The joke I always started my classes with overseas:

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? Tri-lingual
What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bi-lingual
What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? American !

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2012, 23:13
پس از انجام کار خانه من به عنوان يک استراليايي kookork و شما به يافتن راه*هاي جديدي براي جلب قلوب و اذهان مردم. اين دولت با ما, نه حمایت از ما, و در دور بعد از ظهر کار درگير لطفا مرا دوست من از حمايت بيشتر است.

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2012, 23:26
LW - Living in Iran has issues - but it is a reserved culture without crime, theft, bigotry, Murder, and for the few that is just and swift. They live incredibly peaceful and yet the people in power much like our government is trying very hard to get us to hate Iranians, The people are wonderful, the politics not so much.

Kookork
01-25-2012, 02:51
Agreed... that's usually how I hear it pronounced here in NYC.

Just a quick note: We do not pronounce it eeran , we pronounce it eeraaan like: E run( pronounce E run the way you pronounce IPad). I have heard eeran a few times here but there is no ran in Iran. it is run .

I have not been in NYC .It is great if they call it the way we are used to it. But to be honest we do not pronounce America correctly in Iran , we say something like AAmrikaa. And call American something like AAmrikaaii.

Kookork
01-25-2012, 03:31
LW - Living in Iran has issues - but it is a reserved culture without crime, theft, bigotry, Murder, and for the few that is just and swift. They live incredibly peaceful and yet the people in power much like our government is trying very hard to get us to hate Iranians, The people are wonderful, the politics not so much.

Dear Wise Old Owl:

Thank you for being the peace maker. I appreciate it.

Iranian are really peaceful people. I am not an average Iranian when it comes to peacefulness. I am a vindictive person and by no means I am proud of it.Being vindictive is just like a silent but progressive Cancer that eats me from within. I am really working on it but old habits die hard my good friend.

I never forget the bad but at the same time I never forget the good, never. I truly believe that LW owes me an apology but at the same time I am not optimistic about it happening in this world.

It is not fair to punish any Iranian for the extreme cruelty that happened to American Hikers in Iran. I personally am sorry and hopeful that people here believe me when I say that we were as disgusted as they were for the imprisonment of our friends in Iran. We have no control over what Government does. There is no democracy there.

Pedaling Fool
01-25-2012, 09:12
They live incredibly peaceful and yet the people in power much like our government is trying very hard to get us to hate Iranians, The people are wonderful, the politics not so much.
Your sentence doesn't quite make sense, on the one hand you seem to be saying that Irainian people are peaceful people, which I agree with, but then you seem to be saying that our govt is trying very hard to get us to hate Iranians:confused: That's just absolutely wrong.

BTW, no reason to feel too bad for those American "hikers", they put themselves in that predicament.

JAK
01-25-2012, 09:31
I think Wise Old Owl was saying that people, especially individuals, should not be judged based on the actions of any government, as long as people are trying to change things for the better. No democracy is perfect. You could argue that all countries are democracies, but some democracies are more imperfect than others.

Maren
01-25-2012, 09:35
I think Wise Old Owl was saying that people, especially individuals, should not be judged based on the actions of any government, as long as people are trying to change things for the better. No democracy is perfect. You could argue that all countries are democracies, but some democracies are more imperfect than others.

You could argue that all countries are democracies, but your argument would be baseless.

Alligator
01-25-2012, 09:37
Please keep the politics out of the thread and off the board. Thank you.