PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Dinner recipes that can make use of dried fruits

Different Socks
01-21-2012, 17:39
I have a freezer with fruits like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. I also have dried apples, cherries, and a few other fruits. I would like to add all of these(after freezer items dried) to dinners for the trail.
Yes, I know they would taste great with a lunch or breakfast food, but for now I am putting together several hundred dinners and i'd like to add even more variety to the menu.

Does anyone have dinner recipes that could include these dried fruits?

Amanita
01-21-2012, 19:30
Maybe try adding them to instant stuffing? Apples and cranberries are very good in stuffing, along with some types of nuts. If you want to get fancy you could use them to make a glaze of some kind, I've heard of people putting glazes on packet salmon with instant rice for a fancy trail meal.

Rocket Jones
01-21-2012, 20:04
Here's an idea, but doesn't use any of the fruits you mentioned. How about some instant brown rice, butter powder, curry powder, a little instant milk and some dried parsley. After cooking, add a pouch of chicken, some raisins or dried apricots and a half handful of peanuts.

Or instant rice, diced summer sausage, dehydrated peas, onions and apples.

Something I tried and loved this last year was to dehydrate angelfood cake, then serve it with either instant pudding or rehydrated strawberries. Gooooood.

PaperCrane
01-21-2012, 20:08
Quinoa or cous cous dried fruit and nuts, also cooked then dehydrated barley would make for a good addition.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2012, 20:15
Its not tough but you kind of got me here... I was thinking more of adding those fruits to a desert - example warm apple pie with a crumble instead of crust and adding blueberry or cranberrys. Dry a sugar sauce and crumble and add hot water and FBC kind of thing.... Yea it needs work... I will think on this.

Idea one instead of marshmellows

http://www.backpacker.com/october-2011-dirtbaggourmet-fall-desserts/skills/15953

wannahike
01-21-2012, 20:50
I like fruits in curries. You could rehydrate some of the fruits together to make a hot soup/drink. Most any grain dish likes fruit. And I wrote angel food cake on the grocery list. Does it dry very crispy or leathery?

Camping Dave
01-21-2012, 21:22
Ramen Fruit-les?

Rocket Jones
01-21-2012, 21:43
Slice the angelfood cake into about 1/2" thick slices before dehydrating. It dries crispy, then I crumble it into big chunks. It'll absorb some juices or syrups from fruit or pudding so you get a great mix of soft and crunch.

RodentWhisperer
01-22-2012, 22:11
There are a huge number of different ways to make use of dried fruits, if you've willing to chew a little... dried fruits never fully rehydrate even if you leave them to soak. Rather than suggest a bunch of dishes, I'd suggest thinking about several different combinations... mixing nuts and fruit is a classic. Chicken goes well with most fruits that have a slight tang (like green apples) and beef meshes nicely with mild, sweet fruits, especially those with a tannic quality (like cherries and mangoes). If you focus upon the combinations of fruit and proteins, then you are pretty much free to choose any grain base you like (rice, couscous, quinoa, noodles, tortillas, etc. etc. etc.).

PaperCrane
01-22-2012, 22:41
I see a lentil curry in my future, the addition dried fruit and some nuts should be delicious.

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2012, 05:49
OK in Back country Kitchen - (Backpacker Gourmet)

Chicken Stuffing & Gravy

in a glad bag -
1/2 cup dried mushrooms
2 tablespoons of onion flake
1 tablespoon dried green bell pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 small box on golden currents ( rasins)

Seperate bag
2 cups seasoned bread crumb

1 Can of Chunk Chicken 5oz
1 envelope of gravy mix

In camp blend one cup cold water with gravy mix set aside
In Medium pot boil one cup water add mushroom mix
open can break up chicken chunk and add after five minutes with water.
stir set asside after one minute on burner
heat gravy mix stir heat until boil and pour over chicken.