PDA

View Full Version : AT Vermont Trail Advice?

adrifft
01-21-2012, 19:42
Greetings,
I am planning an AT section hike in early summer 2012. I will start in Hanover, NH, cover about 60 miles southbound, and end at Vermont 103 south of Governor Clement shelter. I am seeking advice that anyone may have on that section of the trail at that time of year. Shuttle services? Trail conditions? Shelter conditions? Notable features of the section? Etc. I would be grateful for any information offered. Thanks in advance for your help.

Papa D
01-21-2012, 19:49
I would suggest contacting the Green Mountain Club.. You are hiking at the perfect time of year. I wish you wouldn't quit at Gov Clement - south of that is sooo pretty - Clarendon Gorge, Little Rock Pond, Stratton Pond - consider going further on your adventure. A great place to stop would be the Inn at Long Trail in Killington - the McGraff family owns it - they could probably assist with shuttle info too. Why don't you consider end to ending the Long Trail - shares 105 miles with the AT and continues another 170 miles to the Canada Border - I did it in 2010 - great, great adventure.

4shot
01-21-2012, 20:33
A great place to stop would be the Inn at Long Trail in Killington - the McGraff family owns it - they could probably assist with shuttle info too. Why don't you consider end to ending the Long Trail - shares 105 miles with the AT and continues another 170 miles to the Canada Border - I did it in 2010 - great, great adventure.

The Inn at the Long Trail had perhaps the best beer on the entire Trail - was/is it Long Trail Ale? Well worth the walk. Great pub, great beer, great food. I also liked the free Budweiser in Vermont at a road crossing - the one that takes you to Manchester Center? - provided by trail angel and former SOBO thru hiker OD Green (thanks OD). The Pabst Blue Ribbon at the Doyle was good as well.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2012, 21:08
The section from Hanover to Sherburne pass (RT 4) isn't all that interesting. Consider continuing south all the way to Mass. If you have time constraints, consider starting at Sherburne pass and heading south. It would be a much more rewarding hike. And you say early summer. If that means June, bring a head net!

Jeff
01-21-2012, 22:02
If you are finishing at Rt 103 you can walk down to the Whistle Stop restaurant and get a cab from there into Rutland. If you are looking to get a shuttle back to Hanover there is a fellow who does that (802) 477-2048. It would be good to give him a call and make arrangements beforehand.

adrifft
01-22-2012, 10:04
Thanks for the posts. We are aware of the Inn at Long Trail and believe we are planning to stay there. Had Long Trail Ale a couple of years ago in Monson and it is indeed good. I have read about problems with locals at Governor Clement shelter but I understand that they closed the road that is near it which has helped some. Is it still a bad place to stay?

Lybarger
01-22-2012, 10:16
No problems at Gov Clement in 2011 that I am aware of.

Slo-go'en
01-22-2012, 11:06
I seem to remember Clement as having a dirt floor and nothing really off the ground to sit on. It's not a real inviting place to stay. OTOH, Clarendon shelter is a really nice place, but is another 6 miles south, but they are pretty easy miles. Cooper lodge on Killington is another one to avoid. It is a stone shelter so therefore tends to be cold and it is often trashed from the skiers over the winter and by tourists during the summer. The shelter has easy access from the summit, which the tourists get to by ski lift.

Going from the Inn at the Long Trail to Clement shelter is a little bit of a long day with the climb up and around Killington, but it's only 15 miles. The trail along the side of Killington is a bit stumbly - lots of roots and rocks. It has to avoid the ski trails and is therefore on some pretty rough ground. Once past that, it gets easy.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 12:06
The Inn at the Long Trail had perhaps the best beer on the entire Trail - was/is it Long Trail Ale? Well worth the walk. Great pub, great beer, great food. I also liked the free Budweiser in Vermont at a road crossing - the one that takes you to Manchester Center? - provided by trail angel and former SOBO thru hiker OD Green (thanks OD). The Pabst Blue Ribbon at the Doyle was good as well.

Yes, Long Trail Ale - if you go to the Inn at Long Trail on weekend nights, they have a live Irish band - the place is full of hikers and the food is tasty too.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 12:09
I seem to remember Clement as having a dirt floor and nothing really off the ground to sit on. It's not a real inviting place to stay. OTOH, Clarendon shelter is a really nice place, but is another 6 miles south, but they are pretty easy miles. Cooper lodge on Killington is another one to avoid. It is a stone shelter so therefore tends to be cold and it is often trashed from the skiers over the winter and by tourists during the summer. The shelter has easy access from the summit, which the tourists get to by ski lift.

Going from the Inn at the Long Trail to Clement shelter is a little bit of a long day with the climb up and around Killington, but it's only 15 miles. The trail along the side of Killington is a bit stumbly - lots of roots and rocks. It has to avoid the ski trails and is therefore on some pretty rough ground. Once past that, it gets easy.

Yes, Gov. Clement is also close to a road and tends to attract local parties - Clarendon Shelter is a nice one - there is a super nice older gentleman who rides up on his lawn mower, cuts the grass, puts out flower pots, and checks in on hikers

Papa D
01-22-2012, 12:14
The section from Hanover to Sherburne pass (RT 4) isn't all that interesting. Consider continuing south all the way to Mass. If you have time constraints, consider starting at Sherburne pass and heading south. It would be a much more rewarding hike. And you say early summer. If that means June, bring a head net!

This is a fair statement - like I said, just doing the LT would be the most interesting - or starting maybe at Mt. Mansfield or near Camel's Hump and going south to MA?

adrifft
01-28-2012, 09:06
Having reconsidered, we are now thinking about getting on the AT at Vermont 11/30, traveling north, and getting off at Rt. 4 near Killington. On the way, we may come off the trail for one night and stay in Rutland. This presents the possibility of calling for shuttle service. Is the cell phone coverage ok on this section of the trail? Also, does anyone have any advice on the following shelters - - Peru Peak, Little Rock Pond, Minerva Hinchley, and Cooper Lodge. We also plan to stay at least one night at the Inn at Long Trail. Can't pass up the Irish pub. Would love to go all the way to Mass. but time constraints won't allow it. Thanks again in advance for any posts.

Jeff
01-28-2012, 09:26
You will get cell phone coverage at some point every day...certainly at higher elevations.

Little Rock Pond Shelter is new and situated in a beautiful spot. Cooper Lodge should be avoided...old and kind of a dump.

What is your start date? I may be able to offer suggestions for parking your car in Manchester rather than the 11/30 trailhead lot.

adrifft
01-28-2012, 16:41
On our first night in Vermont we will be staying at the Inn At Long Trail and was planning on leaving the car there, assuming that we could get a shuttle from there to VT 11/30. Later we will be coming off trail at U.S. 4 and was planning to pre-arrange shuttle from there back into Killington. Would call the shuttle once we got to U.S. 4. Regarding Cooper Lodge, we are now thinking about taking the Bucklin side trail to Wheelerville Rd. and shuttling into Rutland for that night. Then back to the trail the next day. What is Bucklin Trail like?

Jeff
01-28-2012, 17:40
Don't know much about the Bucklin Trail.

If you leave your car at the Inn, there is a bus that stops there and runs to downtown Rutland. Another bus can then take you to Manchester.

Penne
01-29-2012, 07:26
I've hiked down the Bucklin Trail a couple of times. It's a pretty nice trail, if a little boring. It felt long to me because it was such a gradual descent down the mountain and then the trail follows a brook and is nearly flat. Wheelerville Rd is a low traffic dirt road, so if you go this way a shuttle is a good idea. I prefer the AT/LT.

ckwolf
01-29-2012, 09:23
Hi Adrift, I was in that neighborhood last year, Minerva Hinchey is classic old style LT Camp, meaning it's dark, damp, well chewed and infested with all kinds of varmints. Wouldn't return there for the treat myself. But I would recommend the 12 Tribes Hostel in Rutland, Wonderful people, very nice hostel and great local food at their restaurant.

adrifft
01-29-2012, 16:56
Thanks to all for your replies. Most helpful. Plans are beginning to shape up and I am grateful for your input.

lemon b
01-29-2012, 20:46
That there is a quick hike. It can be fun.

fredmugs
01-30-2012, 09:00
I can't believe nobody told him about the mud.

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2012, 15:54
I can't believe nobody told him about the mud.

Amen to that. I was waiting for it to be brought up too. It's not much of a problem, it's just ever-present (or that's the way it seems in my memory).

As for the Gov. Clement Shelter--I stayed there in August 2011 and it was verynice. Apparently it had a lot of the aforementioned problems in the past, but the GMC has gone to a lot of trouble to clean it up. Other campers there the same night had been there in previous years and said that in its current state it feels like a completely new shelter, just from how clean it is. It has a raised sleeping platform which sleeps 6-8 and a long dirt-floor foyer leading back to the platform that could probably fit a dozen if it needed to.

On the Edge farmstand at VT 12 was possibly my favorite thing about Vermont. You might hit it too soon in your hike to fully appreciate the value of a carton of fresh blueberries (wrong season anyway) and a half-gallon of fresh chocolate milk, but I'm sure you'll still enjoy a stop there.