PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me plan my trip?

stephanie
03-15-2005, 23:05
This will be my first time on the A.T. I don't have my trail guides yet but want to plan travel arrangements so I was wondering if you could tell me if this itenerary is do able. I realize that everyone goes at a different pace, but just tell me if this is reasonable.

Berry Hollow to Old Rag. Take car to Skyland Resort and spend the night.

Start out on A.T. at mile 41.7 go to White Oak Canyon at mile 42.6 take the 4.6 mile hike get back on the A.T. and go to mile51.2 and stay at the hotel there (I forgot the name of it).

After that I plan on finishing the trail in SNP.

How close is the A.T. to Skyland Resort and the Hotel at mile 51.2?

Thanks so much for the help,
Stephanie

A-Train
03-16-2005, 00:38
Stephanie,

I'm a bit confused by your logistics, but maybe Skyline will chime in. You're going to hike the AT to the White Oak Canyon trail and hike down that trail? That makes sense, but then you say you'll get back on the trail. Do you plan to use an automobile? I recently hiked the White Oak Canyon trail and while beautiful and scenic, it dumps you at the bottom of a small state road and a parking lot, unless you want to take a loop using the Cedar Trail up back to the AT.

As far as Skyland lodge goes, it's ON the AT, with a restraunt, lodging and gift shop. I'm not sure whether your mileage if for the Blue Ridge Pkwy or AT miles. You may be referring to Big Meadows Lodge though, which is close by and seems to be at BRP mile 51.2.

Can you give more info or did I answer the questions?

Peaks
03-16-2005, 09:18
Sounds like you need to by the PATC guidebook to Shenandoah National Park, and the maps. Then you can figure out mileage and climbs.

Many many good hikes in SNP. The best hiking there is side hikes off the AT.

kncats
03-16-2005, 09:54
Stephanie,
You're going to hike the AT to the White Oak Canyon trail and hike down that trail? That makes sense, but then you say you'll get back on the trail. Do you plan to use an automobile? I recently hiked the White Oak Canyon trail and while beautiful and scenic, it dumps you at the bottom of a small state road and a parking lot, unless you want to take a loop using the Cedar Trail up back to the AT.
The White Oak Canyon - Cedar Run trails together are a pretty rough hike. They are described as "A difficult hike through two steep, wild gorges with nine waterfalls. This is for hikers accustomed to prolonged, strenuous exercise". It's a gorgeous hike though, probably one of the most scenic in SNP.

Skyline
03-26-2005, 10:15
This will be my first time on the A.T. I don't have my trail guides yet but want to plan travel arrangements so I was wondering if you could tell me if this itenerary is do able. I realize that everyone goes at a different pace, but just tell me if this is reasonable.

Berry Hollow to Old Rag. Take car to Skyland Resort and spend the night.

Start out on A.T. at mile 41.7 go to White Oak Canyon at mile 42.6 take the 4.6 mile hike get back on the A.T. and go to mile51.2 and stay at the hotel there (I forgot the name of it).

After that I plan on finishing the trail in SNP.

How close is the A.T. to Skyland Resort and the Hotel at mile 51.2?

Thanks so much for the help,
Stephanie

I'm a bit confused by your itinerary, but will assume you're going to first hike Old Rag, then drive to Skyland, spend the night, then hike some more. The hike from the White Oak trailhead (near Skyland) down to the first Falls and back is beautiful!

The "hotel" you are shooting for at Mile 51 is Big Meadows Lodge. It does not open until April 28 this year (Skyland opened last night; I was there for the traditional opening of the Taproom!).

If you're hiking this after April 28, you could take the Skyland-Big Meadows horse trail from near the First Falls up to the vicinity of Hawksbill Gap rather than retrace back to the AT near Skyland. From Hawksbill Gap, you can either pick up the AT again or take a blue-blaze up to Hawksbill Summit, highest point in SNP with 360-degree views. Take the Salamander Trail back down to rejoin the AT about 0.3 mi. north of the cutoff to Rock Springs Hut. At that point you are not TOO far from Big Meadows.

By all means, get the maps and guidebook from www.patc.net. Their inventory is always the most up-to-date, because they are the publishers.

Have a great time in SNP!