PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with a Garmin Oregon 400T?

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2012, 22:10
Ok I moved up to a really good program (app) that has the ability to put hikes on the cloud...Backpacker / Trimble Outdoors...

What should I do with the Garmin 400T? Mount it on the Kayak? Stuff a Lakes Chip in it... I have no idea...

rocketsocks
01-21-2012, 22:32
How about build a rocket,and send it for a ride?

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2012, 23:50
It doesn't measure altitude effectively, it can do it, just not that fast.

rocketsocks
01-22-2012, 01:08
Oh,a Garmon 400T I just looked that up yes much to nice for a crash landing if chute failure should occur.Not a bad idea,the kayak.Do you have a on board compass?

rsjrny
01-22-2012, 08:35
I would use the 400t. The batteries are easy to change and will last a long time. GPS on a phone really eats the power.

Bucho
01-22-2012, 18:17
I would use the 400t. The batteries are easy to change and will last a long time. GPS on a phone really eats the power.

I second that, even though it's really appealing to use the phone from a weight standpoint, I just haven't haven't seen them work as well.

For instance does this app need cell reception to work?

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2012, 21:52
Ok its about the fact I have moved up to smart phone... I am looking for ideas on what to do with a 400T short of selling it.....

tuswm
01-23-2012, 21:58
also I have been many places with no cell signal. isnt that how cell phones get the maps? I know they get location from GPS but dont they need a data connection for just about everything else?

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2012, 22:12
Uhh the Packpacker Pro - stores digital maps and satellite photos on the phone - no signal required.

10-K
01-24-2012, 09:17
How long does the battery on your phone last when it's in GPS mode?

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2012, 14:12
I am thinking two days with an exception... if the turn by turn feature is envolked it get smoking hot.... quite a surprise. but thats the google earth turn by turn to destination....

The GPS Backpacker Pro Trimble outdoors doesn't task the battery. And memorized and tags the photo location. I am still testing it out.

Bucho
01-26-2012, 15:34
I am thinking two days with an exception... if the turn by turn feature is envolked it get smoking hot.... quite a surprise. but thats the google earth turn by turn to destination....

The GPS Backpacker Pro Trimble outdoors doesn't task the battery. And memorized and tags the photo location. I am still testing it out.
Cool, sounds like you've got a better app then I've seen so far. Once you've made sure it's good enough you might as well sell the old gps on ebay.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2012, 21:34
Yea I am on the fence as I have invested so much but the screen is larger and better at accessing with touch, even on a cold day. The zoom is huge....

dshideler
01-31-2012, 22:16
WOO, I have that same app on my iPhone. The other day I was playing with it and trying to see how quick it would drain my battery. I put my phone in airplane mode ( didn't have a signal where I was at any way) and started recording my path. I wasnt paying attention to my phone while I was hiking but when I got back to my car I took it back out to see that it hadn't tracked my progress. Does the record function not work on airplane mode? I had it in my pocket because it was raining so I guess I could have had poor gps reception. I'll have to try it again and pay more attention to my gps signal strength.

Franco
02-01-2012, 04:02
What smart phone ?

canoehead
02-01-2012, 08:50
You could donate it to a local girl or boy scout troop. I've done that with gear I don't use much.

Wise Old Owl
02-06-2012, 01:19
WOO, I have that same app on my iPhone. The other day I was playing with it and trying to see how quick it would drain my battery. I put my phone in airplane mode ( didn't have a signal where I was at any way) and started recording my path. I wasnt paying attention to my phone while I was hiking but when I got back to my car I took it back out to see that it hadn't tracked my progress. Does the record function not work on airplane mode? I had it in my pocket because it was raining so I guess I could have had poor gps reception. I'll have to try it again and pay more attention to my gps signal strength.

Airplane mode shuts down everything including the GPS reciever - on my phone there is an independent app on the third screen to the left that just has symbols on it... I shut down all apps other than GPS... Keep in mind while this is active there are other apps burning the battery in background its described in the help section on the Backpacker pro app as to what to do...

What smart phone ?

uhh Franco... what? any smart phone... what would you like to know?

You could donate it to a local girl or boy scout troop. I've done that with gear I don't use much.

I think it was a $350 investment... It would hit here and another blog first than Amazon.

Franco
02-06-2012, 07:55
uhh Franco... what? any smart phone... what would you like to know?

Pretty obvious that I am the odd one out, but for the life of me I cannot understand how anyone can compare a specific product , the Oregon 400T, with a generic "smart phone".
Maybe I don't get it because I don't even own a mobile phone, but are all smart phones exactly the same ?
That is : size,weight,weatherproof,shockproof,battery duration, min operating temperature ... you know those little details that could make a comparison useful (to me...)
Franco

Wise Old Owl
02-06-2012, 21:39
Oh there are two product out there I am farting around with the Backpacker Pro and Trimble outdoors and for first gen software - not bad.... the app is easy to figure out and just watch out for for operator error... otherwise - hands down better. There is a huge difference between the last generation of phones and smart phone - when you buy one you negotiate a better price and have them slip in a bigger memory chip that you can afford... thats key...

Now its a MP4 music hi fi stereo system loaded with your favorite songs
And it accepts Kindle and your books - think First Aid Knots and Survival suggest identification of birds and trees - and snakes.. whatever.
GPS - COMPASS Tracks Trails get more trails - takes and keeps gps photos - notes and record you thoughts on audio
full internet
Full layered mapping ask it questions and it will walk or drive to a local resturant, diner or dive, or ask it where the museum is and get free turn by turn instructions
take photos.
load apps
ask it for the time of sunset
ask it for weather by zip - it knows where you are
Only your freinds can see where you were on Latitude
etc etc ....newspapers and Time magazine or what ever interests you .

Oh I have a free 70 channel ad free digital radio.... 60-70-80-90's etc,