PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trail?

annajay
01-21-2012, 23:40
Hey y'all:
I am planning a 2013 thru-hike of the Appalachian trail, but want to get some experience with my gear before I leave. I was wondering if anyone has done a semi-long distance hike in Florida (preferably Central Florida) that they could recommend. I would really appreciate any insight. Thanks!

q-tip
01-21-2012, 23:49
I did some walks north of Orlando. I found it was ok to check out gear, but the AT is infinitely more difficult. Good Luck.

moytoy
01-22-2012, 07:56
I assume your going to be in Fl for a visit anyway, surely your not driving to Central Fl to check out gear. So where are you going to be? Central Fl covers a big area. Are you going to drive and need a Trail Head to park a car? More info would be helpful for anyone giving you ideas about a FT hike.

annajay
01-22-2012, 13:52
In response to Moytoy:
I will be in Central Florida anyway, in the Orlando area to be specific. I am up at school in Chicago right now, where I have very little free time, but I'll be back home visiting family in Florida for a few weeks this summer and then again next winter right before I plan to start my thru-hike. I would love to use my time back home to go on a nice hike or two. I am not concerned about transportation to potential trails; I have tons of friends and family in the area that would love to help me out in exchange for a batch of my chocolate chip cookies and a little gas money. I am just looking for a nice trail to spend a few nights on while finalizing my gear.
Thanks!

Seawoods
01-23-2012, 01:24
If you are from Orlando, you know that summer backpack camping in Florida might not be too fun. That said, if you want to spend a few days you may want to check out the Florida Trail as it runs through the Ocala National Forest. If you are looking for maybe an overnighter with Orlando as a base, I'd suggest you check out Wekiva Springs State Park (it isn't on the Florida Trail, but I've enjoyed hiking through this park); the Little Big Econ State Forest or the Seminole State Forest.

moytoy
01-23-2012, 08:54
What Seawoods said plus I think if you haven't already, go to www. floridatrail.org and get a map and info. If you live in east Orlando the FT crosses SR
50 in Christmas at the Airstream Park. If you live in NW Orlando you can best get to the FT going up SR19 out of Eustis. Do it in the winter!