PDA

View Full Version : Great 2011 Thru Hike Blog and Video by "Hover"

moof53
01-22-2012, 14:40
I am 60 years old, retired, and have decided to thru hike the AT in 2013 (already committed to several hikes this summer with a buddy otherwise it would be a 2012 hike). While doing research I came across a Youtube video of a person conducting an overnight test of gear being taken on a projected 2011 AT thru hike scheduled to start a few weeks later. The video was very intriguing. I discovered this person had numerous videos of the hike in progress and I watched each one. The videos were informative for not only the physical hiking of the trail but also mental challenges being faced by a regular person on a long endurance physical endeavor. The Youtube videos also led me to the day to day blog that had been completed during the hike.

I have reviewed many blogs and videos completed by people hiking the AT but this one I think is special. This person was able to not only describe the physical day to day events, including riding out Hurricane Irene on the trail, multiple equipment failure and physical injury, but also the mental challenges that most everyone will probably experience at one time or another during a long duration event like this.

Here is the link to the Blog, "http://www.fivemillionfootprints.blogspot.com/". I have never met or spoken with the author. But if, IMHO, you want a very good description of what hiking the AT is probably like, one that is probably par for the course for most people, read this journal. If you have already hiked the AT it will probably bring back very similar memories. If you are thinking of hiking the AT, I think you will find it very informative and inspirational. I hope you find the writings valuable and enjoy reading them as much as I did.

bwendel07
01-26-2012, 16:39
Thank you for turning me on to this blog I have been reading it and agree it is well done.

SnakeSession
01-26-2012, 19:02
Her youtube videos are some of my favorites and gives a great look at life on the trail.

moof53
01-26-2012, 20:02
Glad you enjoyed her blog. She stopped by today and left a message about her thoughts a few months after compelling the hike. It is again a very thoughtful and insightful post. If you stop by be sure to leave a comment and let her know how much you liked her writings.

Also, if you like what you read, pass her site on to others. Especially those that are thinking of or getting ready to start a thru hike. There is much insightful information to be found there.

moof53
01-26-2012, 21:13
completing not compelling. Dang auto fill!!!!

Spokes
01-26-2012, 22:04
Yes this is a good blog. Thanks for the link. Her gear review post is great. I noticed she said:

"Steripens seem like a good option but every Steripen I saw on the trail was accompanied by complaints from the owner"

Hmmm, that was exactly my observation way back in 2009. Seems like Steripen still hasn't gotten their act together. Buyer beware.

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 22:17
Yes this is a good blog. Thanks for the link. Her gear review post is great. I noticed she said:

"Steripens seem like a good option but every Steripen I saw on the trail was accompanied by complaints from the owner"

Hmmm, that was exactly my observation way back in 2009. Seems like Steripen still hasn't gotten their act together. Buyer beware.Spokes first of all,let me say ouch she's doing it again.And, saw one of these stripens on the cheap table at my local out fitter and when I inquired,the sales person said "don't bother it was returned because it wasn't reliable" the tag said needs new batteries,turning on and off by itself.AS IS no box.:confused:

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 22:21
I am 60 years old, retired, and have decided to thru hike the AT in 2013 (already committed to several hikes this summer with a buddy otherwise it would be a 2012 hike). While doing research I came across a Youtube video of a person conducting an overnight test of gear being taken on a projected 2011 AT thru hike scheduled to start a few weeks later. The video was very intriguing. I discovered this person had numerous videos of the hike in progress and I watched each one. The videos were informative for not only the physical hiking of the trail but also mental challenges being faced by a regular person on a long endurance physical endeavor. The Youtube videos also led me to the day to day blog that had been completed during the hike.

I have reviewed many blogs and videos completed by people hiking the AT but this one I think is special. This person was able to not only describe the physical day to day events, including riding out Hurricane Irene on the trail, multiple equipment failure and physical injury, but also the mental challenges that most everyone will probably experience at one time or another during a long duration event like this.

Here is the link to the Blog, "http://www.fivemillionfootprints.blogspot.com/". I have never met or spoken with the author. But if, IMHO, you want a very good description of what hiking the AT is probably like, one that is probably par for the course for most people, read this journal. If you have already hiked the AT it will probably bring back very similar memories. If you are thinking of hiking the AT, I think you will find it very informative and inspirational. I hope you find the writings valuable and enjoy reading them as much as I did.moof,thanks for the blog address.

Spokes
01-26-2012, 22:45
Here's a quick link instead of the old cut and paste method.......

http://www.fivemillionfootprints.blogspot.com/

The quotation marks in the OP negated the link.

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 22:52
Thanks Spokes

moof53
01-26-2012, 22:53
Thanks Spokes. I just have realized those quotes would kill the hot link.

Spokes
01-26-2012, 23:46
You're welcome guys.

jakedatc
01-27-2012, 18:51
Yaaaa i found her videos and blog looking at stuff on youtube one day and started reading/watching until she finished. Pretty cool watching someone go from a novice to a pretty decent backpacker by the end.