PDA

View Full Version : Georgia AT

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 16:37
I am beginning to plan an Georgia section hike of the AT and I have a few questions. There will be about 4 of us, we'll all have tents and what sleeping bags, etc. We plan on hiking about 8-9 days. One question I have is should we pack about 10-11 days worth of food, or where can we resupply without using a day to get to a city and back? Does the GA AT have any spots that we can resupply that is right on or very near the trail? Next question: Once we get to the GA/NC border, how difficult will it be to get off the trail and back to a city?

ChinMusic
01-22-2012, 17:07
10 days of food for GA? Heavens no.

I would plan on a resupply at Neels (30-mile mark, right ON the trail) and get enough food there to finish.

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 17:29
That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for your help

Doc Mike
01-22-2012, 17:32
I am beginning to plan an Georgia section hike of the AT and I have a few questions. There will be about 4 of us, we'll all have tents and what sleeping bags, etc. We plan on hiking about 8-9 days. One question I have is should we pack about 10-11 days worth of food, or where can we resupply without using a day to get to a city and back? Does the GA AT have any spots that we can resupply that is right on or very near the trail? Next question: Once we get to the GA/NC border, how difficult will it be to get off the trail and back to a city?

When are you going?
Doing approach trail?
How experienced?
how conditioned?

Lots of questions need answered before a plan could be formulated.

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 17:54
We are going May 11-21. Maybe a shift by a 1 day or so. We will be doing the approach trail. Some of us are experienced, some are not, we all hike around Wisconsin on a regular basis. We are all in good shape. And we are all preparing by hiking daily. Any other questions? I am looking for any help we can get. None of us have been on the AT before, so any advise helps. If you have any more questions you need answered let me know, and I will get you the info you need to help me.

Doc Mike
01-22-2012, 18:19
If you are in shape plan on 10 miles/day ( its better to under estimate than over)
Resupply at neels gap so 4 days of food will get you there.
Then follow the resupply guideline in this article posted here on teh home page
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?36

Good luck I'm probably doing that section in Feb.

Freedom Walker
01-22-2012, 18:21
Practice with expected pack weight on the steepest mountains you can find because you must be concerned about knee injury with all those mountain assents and desents. Have phone numbers of the local stuttles get you to nearest town for resupply. Maybe plan on getting off at Neel Gap or Unicoi Gap for a zero day to resupply, dry out and rest. After the GA/NC border the first road to come off is USFS 71, mile 83.5. Arrange for a local stuttle to pick you up. Have fun!

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 18:31
Practice with expected pack weight on the steepest mountains you can find because you must be concerned about knee injury with all those mountain assents and desents. Have phone numbers of the local stuttles get you to nearest town for resupply. Maybe plan on getting off at Neel Gap or Unicoi Gap for a zero day to resupply, dry out and rest. After the GA/NC border the first road to come off is USFS 71, mile 83.5. Arrange for a local stuttle to pick you up. Have fun!

We dont have a lot of steep places to hike here in wisco. I have been and will continue doing High Cliff park, also Kettle Moraine State Park, I hear KM has quite a lot of good steep accents and decents. I have been slowly increasing the weight I have been carrying. I dont think we will have a rest day, we are only doing a section hike, and we will only be hiking 8-9 days, so we can tough it out. How do I find the local shuttles? Is there a list somewhere that I can find?

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 18:33
If you are in shape plan on 10 miles/day ( its better to under estimate than over)
Resupply at neels gap so 4 days of food will get you there.
Then follow the resupply guideline in this article posted here on teh home page
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?36

Good luck I'm probably doing that section in Feb.

The plan is to do minimum 10 miles a day, the more the better, but i know conditions will play a big factor in how far we go each day. Its hard coming from Wisco and only having 8-9 days to hike, so we will push through most anything. Neels gap it will be for a resupply

brian039
01-22-2012, 18:50
The approach trail is pretty difficult, then between Unicoi Gap all the way to your exit point at USFS 71 is continuous ups and downs. If you're not opposed to hitch-hiking, you could easily get a hitch from Unicoi Gap to either Helen or Hiawassee to lessen your food load. I'm not sure how late in the year Ron Haven runs his shuttle but you may also get a free shuttle from Dick's Creek Gap to Hiawassee. He would also be the person to talk to about getting the shuttle from your exit point at USFS 71. http://havensbudgetinn.com/

It's much easier and less stressful to do the shuttle first and hike to your car also.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 19:18
You have given yourself plenty of time - I noticed that you are 26 - if you and your friends are in good shape, you should have lots of leisure time unless you are completely inexperienced which will slow you down - the problem with "10 mile days" is that the shelters aren't spaced at 10 mile intervals - some are 5 or 6 miles apart and some are about 13 - - there are a pretty good bit of in-between shelter campsites where you could tent, but my guess is that you'll lean toward going on to the next shelter and that you might do a lot of 12 mile days - you might find yourself easily able to finish GA in 7 days, hence the "leisure time" comment. It might be helpful to check out some of the "thru-hiker gear lists" and the comments on what people are taking. You are obviously not thru-hiking and can get away with carrying some extra "stuff" but you might be able to use some of these posts as a guide to aid in your packing. Georgia is harder than people expect in terms of ups and downs and being fairly light and nimble will help you - but it isn't THAT hard - all of the thru hikers should be well cleared out in May and it shouldn't be too hot either - enjoy your hike.

Freedom Walker
01-22-2012, 19:24
We dont have a lot of steep places to hike here in wisco. I have been and will continue doing High Cliff park, also Kettle Moraine State Park, I hear KM has quite a lot of good steep accents and decents. I have been slowly increasing the weight I have been carrying. I dont think we will have a rest day, we are only doing a section hike, and we will only be hiking 8-9 days, so we can tough it out. How do I find the local shuttles? Is there a list somewhere that I can find?

Since you are going to resupply at Neel Gap, consider spending the night at the Hostel at Mountain Crossings. For about 16 dollars, you can get a bunk and a shower. Give Mt Crossing a call for more info. They should be able to help with water conditions info and and gear issues. Two stuttle services I know of is Gene Roll in Hawassie, (706-896-5798) and Joyce and Sally, (same area 706-896-9339). Hiker Hostel also has stuttle services. Don't know their number.

drgreenthumb
01-22-2012, 20:37
You have given yourself plenty of time - I noticed that you are 26 - if you and your friends are in good shape, you should have lots of leisure time unless you are completely inexperienced which will slow you down - the problem with "10 mile days" is that the shelters aren't spaced at 10 mile intervals - some are 5 or 6 miles apart and some are about 13 - - there are a pretty good bit of in-between shelter campsites where you could tent, but my guess is that you'll lean toward going on to the next shelter and that you might do a lot of 12 mile days - you might find yourself easily able to finish GA in 7 days, hence the "leisure time" comment. It might be helpful to check out some of the "thru-hiker gear lists" and the comments on what people are taking. You are obviously not thru-hiking and can get away with carrying some extra "stuff" but you might be able to use some of these posts as a guide to aid in your packing. Georgia is harder than people expect in terms of ups and downs and being fairly light and nimble will help you - but it isn't THAT hard - all of the thru hikers should be well cleared out in May and it shouldn't be too hot either - enjoy your hike.

the 10 miles a day is our complete minimum. I am actually hoping we do between 15-20 a day. Which will be moderate and I do not think it will strain our trip and make it unenjoyable, I think that will be perfect. you are right about us trying to make it to shelters, Our goal will be to make it to shelters each night and depending on how busy they are stay in the shelters themselves. From what I have heard Georgia is a lot of ups and downs, I'm quite excited for that. We will be able to carry some extra stuff due to us only hiking for so few days. Thank you for your advise!

bigcranky
01-22-2012, 20:40
As others have said, you can resupply in Neels Gap. They have a small selection of popular hiking food, or you can hitch a ride to a grocery store. You can also spend the night in their hostel.

A good stopping point would be at Dick's Creek Gap, just shy of the NC border, where you can hitch to Hiawassee, then from there get a ride back to your car or to public transport. If you make it past the border, keep going to Deep Gap and hike down the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Camp Ground, where you can hitch a ride to Franklin, NC, a larger town.

Getting back to a "city" will take some doing from that area.

Finally, you will likely find all the answers you need in the ALDHA Companion, or the AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/).

bigcranky
01-22-2012, 20:44
If you wind up doing 15-20 out of the gate, you can do a second resupply by hitching from Dick's Creek Gap into Hiawassee and back. This is common and easy. Then again at Winding Stair Gap into Franklin, and finish at Nantahala Outdoor Center or Fontana Dam (~175 miles from Springer, about 20 mpd for 9 days.) This is not outside the realm of possibility, but it would be unusual.

Good luck and have fun.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 21:04
If you wind up doing 15-20 out of the gate, you can do a second resupply by hitching from Dick's Creek Gap into Hiawassee and back. This is common and easy. Then again at Winding Stair Gap into Franklin, and finish at Nantahala Outdoor Center or Fontana Dam (~175 miles from Springer, about 20 mpd for 9 days.) This is not outside the realm of possibility, but it would be unusual.

Good luck and have fun.

yeah - respectfully - there is a big difference between 15 and 20 miles for most hikers - especially for people that don't hike regularly - by regularly, I mean 100 trail miles a month or more. Both numbers are doable by someone in shape but the REAL test is how many you feel like doing the NEXT morning at 6am - I really recommend aiming for the 11-13 mile per day range - it'll be a good challenge and fun and you'll get it done and feel great -- and for some folks not in really good shape an 8 mile day (especially on a cold rainy day) is really a lot more than they might imagine.

Freedom Walker
01-22-2012, 22:47
If you plan on big mile days, just be prepared to change plans on the spot. it is one thing to plan for yourself as a solo hiker, but something else to plan for a foursome. There is higher chance one could get hurt, sick, develop blisters, etc. or just be too tired to keep going. You must be prepared for this to happen and hope it won't. If this hread continues and some others weigh in, you will read of examples of this.

Papa D
01-22-2012, 23:30
If you plan on big mile days, just be prepared to change plans on the spot. it is one thing to plan for yourself as a solo hiker, but something else to plan for a foursome. There is higher chance one could get hurt, sick, develop blisters, etc. or just be too tired to keep going. You must be prepared for this to happen and hope it won't. If this hread continues and some others weigh in, you will read of examples of this.

I agree with this (mostly) though I've seen plenty of groups of 4 do big miles - something to consider really

wornoutboots
01-23-2012, 01:09
I just hiked this section last week, I went all the way from Springer to NOC in 9 hiking days, I did zero in Helen. I hitch hiked into Helen, Hiawassee & Franklin due to weather or resupply + I like visiting little mountain towns along the way. All of these towns are great for resupply & all 8 hitches took me a TOTAL of 20 minutes. with 4 ppl it will be harder but if you like adventuring off the trail to see some small towns, you'll only need @ 3 days worth of food at any time except for the start. Happy Hiking & enjoy!! it's a fun section!

Rain Man
01-23-2012, 10:54
the 10 miles a day is our complete minimum. I am actually hoping we do between 15-20 a day.

Some of us are experienced, some are not....

yeah - respectfully - there is a big difference between 15 and 20 miles for most hikers - especially for people that don't hike regularly ... -- and for some folks not in really good shape an 8 mile day (especially on a cold rainy day) is really a lot more than they might imagine.

I'm going to agree. A 20-mile day can be a long, long, long day for an inexperienced hiker from flatlands. I'd plan on 10-mile days and count anything more as icing on the cake.

There is a Forest Service road at Deep Gap as someone already mentioned. You might contact the local trail maintenance club and ask if someone could shuttle you from there or your vehicle to there. Sometimes that road is closed due to gullywashers washing parts out, so be sure to check.

If you don't already know about it, the ATC web site is a great resource. I especially like the Interactive Map. You can see all the road crossings. Local trail clubs can be another great resource. I found the GATC especially kind and helpful to me back when I was in your boots.

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

stranger
01-23-2012, 19:13
As others have said, resupply and keep your pack weight down. Mileage is very personal, it's largely based on experience and fitness, but mostly experience in my view. I remember when I thought 16 miles was a long day, I also remember when I thought 23 miles was a long day, etc... your views change as you accomplish more and gain more perspective and experience. If you resupply at Neels Gap and have 4 people you might want instead to stay at Blood Mountain Cabins, you get a entire cabin for $60 and it rocks! There is a 0.2 mile trail to the cabins from the right of the parking lot at Neels Gap (when facing it). Also, at mile 67 you can get into Hiawassee, one of the better trail towns out there, the Hiawassee Inn has great rates and even better people. The first 100 miles are amazing, have fun.