PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in Springer

Ashman
01-22-2012, 18:45
Some buddies and I are going to do the approach trail and the AT through Georgia this Spring break (April 6th Start). We are about 8 hours drive from the trail. If we leave early Friday morning, we should be able to get to Amicolola but probably won't be able to finish the approach trail. Is camping allowed on the approach? Is it safe to assume that there will be quite a few thru hikers starting at the same time? We are trying to figure out the best time to try an get started.

kayak karl
01-22-2012, 20:00
A shelter at Black Mountain Gap about 7 miles up the path is a good stopping point if you are not planning to hike the AT, but if you are planning an extended hike on the AT continue to the shelter just past Springer. It has a privy and running water. Following this shelter is the excellent view from Springer Mountain towards the west. Pam and I like to watch the sunset from here, then return to our evening accommodations.
copied from http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/Southern_Terminus_Approach_Trail

bigcranky
01-22-2012, 20:36
Yes, you can camp on the approach trail. Frosty Mountain is a popular campsite about halfway up. There is supposedly a spring there, but I could never find it (but it was June when I did the Approach and everything was overgrown.) Yes, there will be some hikers out. No big deal.

If you're not rarin' to go when you arrive, there is a shelter in the park at the base of the approach trail. You can stay there for free if you are starting a hike the next day.

Have fun.