PDA

View Full Version : through the looking glass..

Brady
01-22-2012, 22:45
What am I doing? Did I make the right gear choices? I'm sure i coulda shaved a little weight.. I already told work I'm leaving so now I gotta go.. How the hell am I gettin to Georgia? I wonder if it's really going to be cold.. I probably wont eat peanut butter ever again. Thats a lot of walking.. I should probably get a new sleeping bag.. I hope my stuff is safe when I'm gone.. *** it, I'm leaving March 20th-ish for however long it takes.. if i get tired I'll just tell myself "I'll go home tomorrow" and just keep moving. I think my pizza is done, i should probably go..

TOMP
01-23-2012, 00:15
breath in....and out. Cold feet is normal just means you are excited and a little scared. Fear is normal embrace it and move on. If you learn one new thing that is helpful for your thru-hike today that means you probably have about 1 thousand more things you can learn. Doesnt mean you are unprepared, just means there is always room for improvement. If youve done your homework you'll be ok or atleast as prepared as the next guy.

rocketsocks
01-23-2012, 03:11
There are like 900 decisions to make while on your hike,your like on number 6 don't think to much just walk.Never implement a permanent solution,for a temporary problem.And above all have a great hike.:)

Spokes
01-23-2012, 09:29
Why worry? Are you blind , wear a prosthetic leg, or carry a tuba?

moldy
01-23-2012, 10:17
"start at start" put one foot in front of the other then, "follow the yellow brick road"

Brady
01-23-2012, 10:59
I'm not really worried, more excited than anything else. Thats just what goes through my head at any given time..

JAK
01-23-2012, 11:06
Actually not carrying a tuba is a well documented way of shedding some pack weight.
Most but not all members of marching bands routinely follow this practice.

Spokes
01-23-2012, 11:10
Actually not carrying a tuba is a well documented way of shedding some pack weight.
Most but not all members of marching bands routinely follow this practice.

Crazy ultra-lighters!

JAK
01-23-2012, 11:10
Perhaps the absolute worst way to go UL is to leave your sense of humour at home.
It is light weight, multipurpose, and absolutely essential in most survival situations.
Not always easily shared, so everyone should bring their own.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny.

Brady
01-23-2012, 11:42
you could probably use the tuba AS a pack, now that would be multi function

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 20:01
make yourself a promise that if you are going to quit, it will only be on a perfect day when everything is going your way, not when conditions are miserable and you are depressed. And start walking.

lunchbx
01-23-2012, 20:05
Perhaps the absolute worst way to go UL is to leave your sense of humour at home.
It is light weight, multipurpose, and absolutely essential in most survival situations.
Not always easily shared, so everyone should bring their own.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny.

love this bravo! is that new brunswick new jersey or new brunswick near canada or wherever?

BryanE
01-24-2012, 01:48
make yourself a promise that if you are going to quit, it will only be on a perfect day when everything is going your way, not when conditions are miserable and you are depressed. And start walking.

I really like that mentality, thanks for sharing.
Good luck on your hike!

Blue Jay
01-24-2012, 13:32

Very very good advice. Prior to every LD hike I have ever done there are voices in my head telling me to worry about stupid things. I know they are lying but that does not make them go away. I guess if they do eventually go away then I should actually worry.

jlo
01-24-2012, 13:44
The journey is just putting one step in front of the other. And you should just enjoy it :)