PDA

View Full Version : Family to hike Appalachian Trail

Captain Blue
01-22-2012, 23:19
I saw this article online about a family of four from Indiana who plan to thru hike the AT this year:

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/family-to-hike-appalachian-trail

Here is to their blog link:

http://rainwater2012.com/

Looks like they want people to sponsor them. They are asking $10 per mile. They say "It will cost approx. $10 per mile to walk the trail. "

Rasty
01-22-2012, 23:28
This will be a issue on Whiteblaze. Can't see many being supportive of sponsoring someones vacation.

ShaneP
01-23-2012, 00:21
i would like to be sponsored also

Garlic
01-23-2012, 01:59
Me too; I'll only charge $5 a mile.

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 03:32
why is there a problem with that? I've never heard hiking the AT is a "vacation" is it? really? why will it be "a problem on whiteblaze?"

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 03:33
i meant "issue" on whiteblaze . . .

Lone Wolf
01-23-2012, 03:39
walkin' the trail is a choice not a necessity. it IS a vacation. this family needs to pay for the trip themselves. period

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 04:42
walkin' the trail is a choice not a necessity. it IS a vacation. this family needs to pay for the trip themselves. period

hmmm. maybe I have to find a different forum. I think if they want to ask for financial support they can, you could too. walking is a choice, and no doubt they will pay for almost all of it on their own, just like you.

If this family get this type of reception for accepting $500 in $10 donations from people because they asked for it on their blog then I am not expecting people to be too supportive of our efforts. We have a "wish list" . . . family and friends have helped us out by helping get us gear . . . is that "not paying for it ourselves"?

I just find the tone of this thread hard-core and abrasive.

drainwater . . . if you see this, hike your own hike . . . . do what you have to do, you have one supporter here (but maybe not for long)

Land_Shark
01-23-2012, 06:05
Let's just see if they make it. I have been doing this for the last 3 years and many talk the talk but VERY few make the walk. Asking for money is fine but be warned there are many who will not be so warming to the idea of giving since the money is not for a charity. Your decision to walk on this trail comes free of charge to do it for a good reason and donate is a nobel so please do not soil this experience before you and your family leave. Beceause I will see you be sure of that.

drainwater
01-23-2012, 06:16
I am part of the drainwater family being discussed here. Our intention of allowing others to help support our hike is not about money, period. I feel mortified that we have been misunderstood and our intentions perverted.
We have saved long and hard for this adventure and we can afford to do it on our own savings. Our intention of allowing others to make a contribution to support our dream was about supporting others dreams and desires and conversely allowing others to support us. That's what a loving community does. We support (with money=donations) the dream and mission of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and many other fine institutions. We also support (with money=donations) friends and relatives at speacial occasions, as I bet most do. Is trail magic frowned upon too?
Please read our blog for yourself and realize our hike is about achieving dreams and supporting others in their dreams. We will likey spend $30,000 of our own money in gear, trail, and maintaing our home, and lose 2 times that much in lost wages, so a $10 donation is about love, support, and beleiving in dreams and not money.

drainwater
01-23-2012, 06:24
P.s On our webpage there is one small tab that says "sponsor" a mile. We have never ASKED anyone for anything. The sponsorship is never mentioned in any post or blog. I am almost in tears writing this because I can't believe the attitude towards this.
Blind Melon~ "when you stop dreamin' its time to die". I will always dream and support others in their dreams.

superman
01-23-2012, 07:36

I agree with you completely. Another year, another scam, wrapped in ideals and BS.

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 08:23
I agree with you completely. Another year, another scam, wrapped in ideals and BS.

P.s On our webpage there is one small tab that says "sponsor" a mile. We have never ASKED anyone for anything. The sponsorship is never mentioned in any post or blog. I am almost in tears writing this because I can't believe the attitude towards this.
Blind Melon~ "when you stop dreamin' its time to die". I will always dream and support others in their dreams.

rainwater I would be in tears as well, being misunderstood as I believe you have been. To be called a scammer, when you have put blood, sweat, and a house on the line to follow the dream of hiking north, this is hurtful. Also to build this kind of dream as a family is amazing - I wonder if the negativity is coming from a demographic of pessimistic independent hikers, who cannnot possibly imagine what it is like to plan an AT thru-hike with a family.

Our family did a 192 mile hike in preparation for our AT thru-hike in 2013. Loads of people told us we couldn't do it, the boys were too young, my daughter with Down syndrome would refuse at some point, my teenager would revolt. What people miss is that we are wilderness people. Our biggest joys are when we are hiking together, sleeping in the woods, workign together to get to our destination. My 5 year olds boys keep asking when we are going to hike coast to coast again, they read maps better than many adults I know! My teenage daughter can make a killer meal on a campstove and my daughter with Down syndrome can set up a tent and pack her pack on her own. What do these other people know about what we can (or you can) or cannot do? What do they know about how you are motivated, and how your kids are motivated.

Our trail journey is not going to be about meeting anyone elses expectations. It is about our dream of walking north. We are going to get up everyday and head for Maine. If we don't make it it will only be because it was unsafe to continue for some reason. We've been to Maine and said "we'll be back". My kids talk about taking "Baxter" our mascot bear, "back to Kathadin, to the woods where he is from." We are not just some ragtag family of pie in the sky BS'ers out to pretend to thru-hike. We are serious backcountry mountain people ready to take what the trail throws at us. I hope it doesn't throw too many naysayer and jerks in our way.

drainwater, if you are listening . . . . I'm sure there are people staying silent on this issue. You know you have supporters, don't let these other comments drain your energy or enthusiasm, you don't have time for that. You'll do great, we got your back.

Theosus
01-23-2012, 08:26
I can see making this into a sort of "march of dimes" sort of event. As long as something like 75% goes to charity, maybe some environmental cause or to the ATC or for spinal injuries research or something. But asking people to fund a vacation just because you want to go is just wrong. I want to go to Scotland, will someone pay me a buck a mile to sit on the plane? No. If you can't afford to go, and are asking people to pay for your mortgage and such, then don't go. The 25% I would say you could keep would be for food, gear, and a modest stipend for someone to cover mailing your mail drops and even updating a web page or other public relations issues. But don't ask us to pay your way for the hell of it. I want to go too, but I'm learning right now, and plan to do little sections when I can afford time off. Maybe I'll thru-hike one day, but there's plenty of trail until then.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-23-2012, 08:35
I am almost in tears writing this because I can't believe the attitude towards this.

New to the internet? lol

Anyway good luck on your hike.

sheepdog
01-23-2012, 09:13
I am part of the drainwater family being discussed here. Our intention of allowing others to help support our hike is not about money, period. I feel mortified that we have been misunderstood and our intentions perverted.
We have saved long and hard for this adventure and we can afford to do it on our own savings. Our intention of allowing others to make a contribution to support our dream was about supporting others dreams and desires and conversely allowing others to support us. That's what a loving community does. We support (with money=donations) the dream and mission of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and many other fine institutions. We also support (with money=donations) friends and relatives at speacial occasions, as I bet most do. Is trail magic frowned upon too?
Please read our blog for yourself and realize our hike is about achieving dreams and supporting others in their dreams. We will likey spend $30,000 of our own money in gear, trail, and maintaing our home, and lose 2 times that much in lost wages, so a $10 donation is about love, support, and beleiving in dreams and not money.

So by sending you money : I am actually helping others. :D

superman
01-23-2012, 09:20
LMAO, shouldn't this thread be in the humor section.

Spokes
01-23-2012, 09:21
To heck with this........ When are we all going to get to rip their gear list apart?

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 09:25
Me too; I'll only charge $5 a mile. I'll do it for $4.99. This is a dutch auction format, right?

Lone Wolf
01-23-2012, 09:25
hmmm. maybe I have to find a different forum. I think if they want to ask for financial support they can, you could too. walking is a choice, and no doubt they will pay for almost all of it on their own, just like you.
ummm, no. i would never think of asking total strangers for money to help me with a liesure activity that benefits nobody but myself. they need to pay for ALL of it on their own, just like me :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 09:26
So by sending you money : I am actually helping others. :DBy sending ME money you would be helping others more.

JAK
01-23-2012, 09:37
I think hiking the trail as a family is awesome, and a best case scenario. As for the sponsorship, I think that is the wrong was to go, and I think a family of four should be able to do it for less than $20,000 especially if it is with other people's money. People sponsor much less noble adventures, so I'm not so much against that. I just think it would be better for the family if they found a way to pay for it themselves. Then again, maybe this IS their family business. If so, I guess there are worse ways to make a living. Not sure exactly what they are selling.

Dances with Mice
01-23-2012, 09:40
It's been my dream to take my wife to an all inclusive resort in Costa Rica for a month.

I should set up a website with a blog and donation button.

Because I want to give others the opportunity to feel good about themselves by helping me attain my dream.

That's just the kind of guy I am.

JAK
01-23-2012, 09:45
You gotta make it at least two months. Where is your sense of purpose and self-sacrifice?
You gotta aim high if you expect people to support your cause. Think of them. Slacker.

Spokes
01-23-2012, 09:59
This is really no different than what Kyle MacDonald did years ago- Got a house from trading one red paper clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE8b02EdZvw&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE8b02EdZvw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JAK
01-23-2012, 10:03
Actually their blog is kind of cute. You could argue that that is what they are selling, like when people right a book about an adventure and people buy it. So I think this is legit. It's also voluntary, and if you just want to view the blog for free you can do that too. Some good into on their, and I think they are doing a public service by encouraging families to do such a thing as a group. Not saying I would sponsor them myself, but if I had more money, and after paying off my debt to white blaze first lol, it's something I could see spending $5 or $10 on, on a whim. If my daughter reads their blog and I get another hike out of here it would be money well spent. :-)

They provide some good practical wisdom on their pack selection.
http://rainwater2012.com/blog.html
It is tough finding a light pack for smaller kids. Ironic that the smallest will have the heaviest pack. I think they should look into making something, or modifying something like a a 10oz tote bag you see now and then, like Patagonia used to make for about $50 on sale compete with bottle pockets and a waist strap. I use mine alot on day hikes and around town and even on overnights in summer. It can fit a child with a little adjustment. But it is good to see they are making use of a pack they already have that fits and is a bit too heavy at 3 pounds. Better than a 5 or 6 pound monster. Hope they can trim a few more ounces off it.

Sarcasm the elf
01-23-2012, 10:07
I'm not a fan of personal attacks, which is what this thread is quickly turning into. Skim through their site before you post a response. I agree that asking for donations for a hike is misguided, but in fairness it doesn't seem like that's the purpose of their site. I probably wouldnt have noticed the donation button if it wasn't mentioned here.

Doc Mike
01-23-2012, 10:23
What ever happened to the much preached HYOH. Its their hike so let them hike it. Where's SGT Rock now HMHDI!!

That being said I'm donating 10$/mile to my hike.

Best of Luck on your hike and I think your chance of sucess is less than 5% given the obstacles you face. This will make it even more rewarding when your family tops Big K.

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 10:36

ummm, no. i would never think of asking total strangers for money to help me with a liesure activity that benefits nobody but myself. they need to pay for ALL of it on their own, just like me :)

who says that the people reading their blog are total strangers? and did anyone even bother to go look at it? man, there is some serious negativity here, I thought this was going to be a space where people helped each other out, not cut one another down. "rip apart their gear list"? and "new to the internet LOL"?

no wonder people quit, if they end up hiking and encounter people with this kind of attitude . . . "who can we laugh at?, who can we criticize?, who can we call names?, who can we make fun of?" drainwater has been part of this forum for 3 years . . you'd think there would be a shred more respect for them. I've been here for three days and already feel I've encountered bullies.

JAK
01-23-2012, 10:45
I agree with Doc that the sponsor button is a very small part of their endeavour, and they only have a modest $35 so far, which they seem to be very happy with. They have a facebook page also, and they don't make a big deal about asking for donations. They are keeping it discrete and tasteful, just as this site does, and so we should too.

JAK
01-23-2012, 10:49
I've decided to give $0.10 to this family, White Blaze, and HikingHQ for every mile I am able to get my daughter to hike with me this summer. I know I will be lucky if I can get 100 miles out of her, but that would be $30 well spent. Thanks to all for all the help and inspiration over the years. Cheers.

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 10:55
who says that the people reading their blog are total strangers? and did anyone even bother to go look at it? man, there is some serious negativity here, I thought this was going to be a space where people helped each other out, not cut one another down. "rip apart their gear list"? and "new to the internet LOL"?

no wonder people quit, if they end up hiking and encounter people with this kind of attitude . . . "who can we laugh at?, who can we criticize?, who can we call names?, who can we make fun of?" drainwater has been part of this forum for 3 years . . you'd think there would be a shred more respect for them. I've been here for three days and already feel I've encountered bullies.I agree with you regarding the fact that there was no post here on WB by "drainwater" soliciting funds. So as far as I'm concerned the fact that they have a page on their site for sponsorship is no big deal. They aren't actively turning their hike into a big BS publicity stunt like many do. I won't donate, but I wish them well. But, some see any mention of accepting "sponsorship" as being offensive. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

In all fairness, you are misinterpreting gear list criticism, as you put it, "rip apart their gear list", as being a negative. It's supposed to be somewhat negative. The purpose of posting a gear list, which is obviously completely voluntary is to have it scrutinized and "ripped apart". If you can't defend your gear choices to others (and yourself), you probably have something too heavy or something you don't need. It keeps UL hikers "honest". And generally when people do make criticisms they also make suggestions as well. As to "bullying", come on. We are all adults here, not school children, and it's an internet forum, not an afternoon tea. People speak their minds, that's all. Just ignore what you don't like.

kofritz
01-23-2012, 10:56
good luck to the rainwaters.

Oneofsix
01-23-2012, 11:01
Just ignore what you don't like.

ok. ignored

JAK
01-23-2012, 11:40
I liked that story of the boys club, that in order to join you had to sit on a chair in this room all by yourself, until you went for at least 10 minutes without thinking about the word "Elephant". Wouldn't be a bad policy for WB. lol

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 12:01
I liked that story of the boys club, that in order to join you had to sit on a chair in this room all by yourself, until you went for at least 10 minutes without thinking about the word "Elephant". Wouldn't be a bad policy for WB. lolI get to about 9 minutes
and then without fail this pops into my head. I can't shake it.

Hoofit
01-23-2012, 12:38
I'm not too proud to accept donations either then - feel free mr Drainwater(suspicious name that) to send me some cash - I have all sorts of dilemnas and a wayward daughter and three grandsons to support as well so please feel the love and send me some cash - ten dollars is nice but if you can afford it, a twenty sounds even better.
Thank-you kindly, I am not asking for much, just a small token of your appreciation,
What a wonderful world we live in
Peace and love to everyone whether you can afford to donate to me or not
I'll check back later
Oh, and I also have a bad ankle that needs a real doctor to look at it and I can't afford that....
P.s. Any currency will do!

Sly
01-23-2012, 12:41

I don't know. When I think of vacation, it's two weeks on a beach drinking cocktails, or skiing, or tripping through Europe, not humping mountains day after day with a heavy pack..

However, regardless of what you call a thru-hike (imo it is what it is, a thru-hike) the family should foot their own bill.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2012, 13:16
The thing which started this thread was someone seeing the Press Release about this hike in a news paper. At the end of the article are the links to thier blog and facebook page. The blog has a donate button. Hummm.

Over the last several seasons we have seen a number of people doing pre-hike publicity with press releases and fancy web sites and they all seek donations. So far not one of these (that I know of) has either actually started or lasted very long on the trail. Why should I give away my money for someone to waste when I can waste it on myself?

Oh and the what's the difference between doing trail magic and donating money to someone's (potentual) hike? When you do trail magic, your dealing directly with those who are actually on the trail.

JAK
01-23-2012, 14:18
You can always wait until the have hiked farther than the have received donations for, so you know they've hiked your mile. Also, wait until the hike and blog are closer to completion, like paying for a book after it has been published rather than in advance. I'm not sure it is all that different than paying for music on the internet, or some other place where it is effectively voluntary, like on the street. In a way you are playing for the blog really, not the hike, just as when you see a movie you are paying to watch the movie, not the production of the movie. Lots of ways to look it at it. It's not like it's imbezilment, which is what alot of governments and corporations are in to these days. They aren't holding a gun to your head.

lrainwater
01-23-2012, 14:19
Hello fellow white blazers. This is Lisa Rainwater. First I want to thank everyone who supports us in our dream and others dreams.......and I'm not talking monitarily. We all have dreams in this life and we are promoting that people can live their dreams and we hope that by others seeing what we are doing to live our dream that it will inspire them to live theirs as well. I do not agree with how we are being portrayed but that is because I know who we are and what we stand for as a family, whereas, by the hurtful and negative comments are obviously being made by people who do not know us and do not know that the request for sponsorship idea was thought of by one of our dear friends who said they wanted to "help" us achieve our dream but knew that the gear we would need was very specific and they couldn't run out to Walmart and purchase it for us as a gift. I thought it was a creative idea. It was set up for people who love us, not as a gimick, or a scam which should be apparent to those that have been on our website. We are paying for 99% of this adventure out of our own pocket with funds we have saved. As far as riping our gear list apart, have at it.......we sure have and I'm sure we'll continue to until the day we leave. We've picked gear that we feel will work best for us and that may not be what works best for your adventure. Happy trails fellow hikers.

JAK
01-23-2012, 14:22
I get to about 9 minutes
and then without fail this pops into my head. I can't shake it.

14979Well there's no shame in that. I'm sure there are alot of other clubs you might be able to join.

JAK
01-23-2012, 14:25
Hello fellow white blazers. This is Lisa Rainwater. First I want to thank everyone who supports us in our dream and others dreams.......and I'm not talking monitarily. We all have dreams in this life and we are promoting that people can live their dreams and we hope that by others seeing what we are doing to live our dream that it will inspire them to live theirs as well. I do not agree with how we are being portrayed but that is because I know who we are and what we stand for as a family, whereas, by the hurtful and negative comments are obviously being made by people who do not know us and do not know that the request for sponsorship idea was thought of by one of our dear friends who said they wanted to "help" us achieve our dream but knew that the gear we would need was very specific and they couldn't run out to Walmart and purchase it for us as a gift. I thought it was a creative idea. It was set up for people who love us, not as a gimick, or a scam which should be apparent to those that have been on our website. We are paying for 99% of this adventure out of our own pocket with funds we have saved. As far as riping our gear list apart, have at it.......we sure have and I'm sure we'll continue to until the day we leave. We've picked gear that we feel will wor, best for us and that may not be what works best for your adventure. Happy trails fellow hikers.Welcome to White Blaze. lol
Sweet family you have there. Enjoy your hike, and thanks for the inspiration.

Rasty
01-23-2012, 14:39
Lisa,
I apologize to you and your family. I made an assumption and we all know the rest of the phrase. Good luck with your adventure.
Robert

Hello fellow white blazers. This is Lisa Rainwater. First I want to thank everyone who supports us in our dream and others dreams.......and I'm not talking monitarily. We all have dreams in this life and we are promoting that people can live their dreams and we hope that by others seeing what we are doing to live our dream that it will inspire them to live theirs as well. I do not agree with how we are being portrayed but that is because I know who we are and what we stand for as a family, whereas, by the hurtful and negative comments are obviously being made by people who do not know us and do not know that the request for sponsorship idea was thought of by one of our dear friends who said they wanted to "help" us achieve our dream but knew that the gear we would need was very specific and they couldn't run out to Walmart and purchase it for us as a gift. I thought it was a creative idea. It was set up for people who love us, not as a gimick, or a scam which should be apparent to those that have been on our website. We are paying for 99% of this adventure out of our own pocket with funds we have saved. As far as riping our gear list apart, have at it.......we sure have and I'm sure we'll continue to until the day we leave. We've picked gear that we feel will work best for us and that may not be what works best for your adventure. Happy trails fellow hikers.

Spogatz
01-23-2012, 15:13
I would like to be impressed. Why not try for a 45 day unsupported hike. Get that done and give you a round of applause!!!

Other than that if anyone wants go give their money away then more power to them.

jesse
01-23-2012, 15:38
OK. Daddy Rainwater say's they will spend $30,000. Mama Rainwater says they will spend $29,700 ($30,000 x .99) out of their own pocket. So they are short $300. I say if they make it to Abol Bridge, which is about 99% of the trail, they can call (800)555-HELP and we'll see they get the funds needed to hike the last 20 miles.

ShaneP
01-23-2012, 16:00
Good luck on your hike.

Mizirlou
01-23-2012, 16:49
I'll do it for $4.99.

The family sounds creatively similar to River, Mariposa, Summer, Rain, Joaquin & River.

Hey Buzz, can I get a discount off the $4.99 to critique my gear list?
Backpack
Shelter
Clothing
Food
(And a lightweight piece o’ sumpin’ in my pocket.)

drainwater
01-23-2012, 17:01
Gear list with pictures is in the works. As far as tearing it apart, like my wife said, we already do over and over again! We have 2 children so our list will be unique and most of our gear is tailored to the group "system" so may not make sense to some. We are making our "system" so that we have 2 complete sets of everything, so in the rare case we have to we could temporarily make 2 groups.
We are excited to hit the trail soon, and based on some positive comments and PM's I know we will meet some great people on the trail and hopefully make some lifelong friends and memories. When we pass Abol bridge I hope we can get a cell signal Jesse!

jesse
01-23-2012, 17:29
When we pass Abol bridge I hope we can get a cell signal Jesse!

I hope you get there and go straight up Katahdin and get some nice family photos. Good Luck. Enjoy.

Captain Blue
05-04-2012, 11:45
Looks like this hike came to an end yesterday after 350 miles.

As much fun as walking in the rain, sleet, hail, snow, wind, and at times hypothermic conditions we, as a family, have decided that we have all had a great time and are happy with our 350+ mile hike on the Appalachian Trail and feel complete with the experience. We are going to spend the next leg of our adventure traveling the US to some places we have always wanted to visit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rainh2os-2012-APPALACHIAN-TRAIL-THRU-HIKE/180547586481