PDA

View Full Version : bulky sleeping bags.....

hansyb
01-22-2012, 23:22
Just sent back a North Face Snow Leopard regular size sleeping back as it was HUGE packed and wouldnt fit in my backpack (Go-lite Quest)

I want something that packs tight, not bulky, but still warm as i'm practically cold blooded.....

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Senor Jalapeno
01-22-2012, 23:38
Marmot UL Super spiral down hunger #0 (0 degree) or #1 (15 degree) the regular size is super roomy but still packs down to about the size of a football. My gf has the #0 and a golite Quest and it fits perfectly even wrapped in a trash bag. I have the #1 long and it fits wrapped into my osprey exos. Bothe are super warm and super light!

Amanita
01-22-2012, 23:40
Anything synthetic is going to eat space in you pack. Down compresses very well, and unless you have an alergy/moral objection seems to be the choice of most whiteblazers.

Senor Jalapeno
01-22-2012, 23:40
*Montbell not marmot! Whoops. Lol

TOMP
01-22-2012, 23:41
Anything down.

leaftye
01-22-2012, 23:51
A custom down quilt will give you the lightest and smallest solution. You can get one for about the price as that sleeping bag, but it'd only have a fraction of the weight and bulk.

Franco
01-23-2012, 00:26
According to the specs that bag is 7"x23" inside the stuff sack. How big was yours ?

ljcsov
01-23-2012, 00:45
My down Marmot Sawtooth gets really tiny! I have to also say that Primaloft insulation compresses very nicely as well. I have a TQ/UQ made from 6oz weight PL and they fit into the Sawtooth's sack together.

RWheeler
01-23-2012, 01:00
Just sent back a North Face Snow Leopard regular size sleeping back as it was HUGE packed and wouldnt fit in my backpack (Go-lite Quest)

I want something that packs tight, not bulky, but still warm as i'm practically cold blooded.....

Any suggestions much appreciated!

I have an REI Lumen +25 that I was originally going to bring on my thru-hike, but after doing some simulated loading/unloading of the pack in my bedroom, I realized I needed to change my sleeping bag. I bit the bullet and bought a Western Mountaineering SummerLite. It weighs less, and packs down insanely smaller than the Lumen. I'm very happy with that purchase. If you're interested in picking up a WM bag, there's currently an Alder on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Mountaineering-goose-down-sleeping-bag-Aspen-/250976181273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f589c19#ht_500wt_1202) at a very steal-worthy price. I'm not the seller. I just stumbled across it and was shocked at the price. If a member of Whiteblaze were to pick it up, especially one trying to replace a bag, I'd be happy for them.

Marmot UL Super spiral down hunger #0 (0 degree) or #1 (15 degree) the regular size is super roomy but still packs down to about the size of a football. My gf has the #0 and a golite Quest and it fits perfectly even wrapped in a trash bag. I have the #1 long and it fits wrapped into my osprey exos. Bothe are super warm and super light!

*Montbell not marmot! Whoops. Lol

Is it weird if I didn't even notice you said Marmot? I saw "UL Super Spiral" and my mind just filled it in as Montbell. Heh.

Wil
01-23-2012, 07:11
The common wisdom on this forum is that compression stuff sacks are not effective because they create solid blocks in the backpack that waste space in the empty air in between.

Those of us who sleep cold and need hugely voluminous sleeping bags have learned that compression stuff sacks are essential, necessarily learning to pack effectively with those compression sacks.

I have a minus 15 F bag that compression-packs down very manageably in an ultra-light pack. As does other gear. You USE the air space in between the compression sacks to stuff other gear. Not exactly rocket science.

Our premises define. Start with: you have to sleep well or it's just not going to work. Arrange around that; make it work.