PDA

View Full Version : AquaMira + Water Bottle Filter

Twigs
03-16-2005, 09:26
Has anyone tried using a combo of Aquamira and a water bottle filter for a thru? My reasoning is this- You woudn't have to wait for your water to treat. Just mix your Aquamira, pour in your water, then fill up your water bottle filter and be on your way. Then you can drink from your water bottle while you wait for Aquamira to kick in.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find that 3 1/2oz PurLife Water Bottle Filter? I don't see it on their website.

Youngblood
03-16-2005, 09:49
Has anyone tried using a combo of Aquamira and a water bottle filter for a thru? My reasoning is this- You woudn't have to wait for your water to treat. Just mix your Aquamira, pour in your water, then fill up your water bottle filter and be on your way. Then you can drink from your water bottle while you wait for Aquamira to kick in.

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find that 3 1/2oz PurLife Water Bottle Filter? I don't see it on their website.A question for you: if you used a water bottle filter, why do you need Aquamira?

Smooth03
03-16-2005, 13:09
Like twigs I'm confused as to why you need both?

Your right that with aquamira you have to wait at least 22 minutes(is it 7 and 15??) and I'll admit I've had times where I start drinking at 19 minutes. But for me at least, its much less a hastle than pumping. Especially on a thru0hike where youre pump will eventually get more and more clogged and you have to work harder and harder.

Twigs
03-16-2005, 15:01
Makes sense. Has anyone had trouble with water sources using Aquamira on the AT? Water too shallow or muddy? I would like to start using Aquamira for the weight, but am hesitant. I'm worried I'll get to a place where I need water, but won't be able to use Aquamira. Any thoughts will be helpful.

Smooth03
03-16-2005, 17:40
I always have a bandana to screen material and a coffee mug or other form of dipping cup for shallow sources and don't have problems.

Although I did almost drink a salamander in the Shenandoahs! Ha!

I understand your hesitancy about water sources. On the AT where most of your sources are springs water streams I don't think having an uber nasty source is too much of a problem. I'm heading out west this summer and am a bit more concerned about using sources that have a lot of silt in them but I guess I'll manage.

Good luck!

Twigs
03-16-2005, 17:45
Makes sense. I'll give it a try.

J.D.
03-16-2005, 18:45
I'm heading out west this summer and am a bit more concerned about using sources that have a lot of silt in them but I guess I'll manage.Good luck!
Ahhh.... How far West...? If you end up in the desert areas, you'll be Happy-As-Can-Be to have water with silt in it...<g>.... I did sections on the PCT in the '80's and like to think I could actually "smell" water sources after awhile...!

On the AT, unless it's a REAL drought-season, there's plenty of water. Forget the filter. If you're careful about what's up-stream, it's mostly all A-OK. The whole "bad-water" thing has been blown out of proportion.

Most people get something 'cause they didn't clean their hands after potty!

Smooth03
03-16-2005, 19:23
Ahhh.... How far West...? If you end up in the desert areas, you'll be Happy-As-Can-Be to have water with silt in it...<g>.... I did sections on the PCT in the '80's and like to think I could actually "smell" water sources after awhile...!

Colorado Trail. North to south....can't wait!

J.D.
03-16-2005, 20:48
Colorado Trail. North to south....can't wait!
Too kewl...!

My buddy is doing a bike ride (Ride the Rockies) in June in CO. He was telling me that the acclimation time is FOUR DAYS...! Sound about right to you? 4 days to get used to the altitude...? New theory is that during acclimation, you sleep at a LOWER elevation (2 - 3,000 feet) than where you are daytime/awake hours.

Six or seven years ago, I got a nose bleed at 9,000 feet in AZ. That had never happened before - freaked me out! Plus, dry heaves, headaches, little purple polka-dots interferring with my vision.....<g>... Thought I was in shape - ...hehehe!

neo
03-16-2005, 21:10

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find that 3 1/2oz PurLife Water Bottle Filter? I don't see it on their website.
you can find polar pure rei,campmor any outdoor store,i use a water bottle filter to filter the really questionable water and then added polar pure,have used this system for years,a bottle of polar pure will last for years and years,10.00 to 12.00 bucks a bottle.i am going to try a new system from ULA a gravity feed filter system 40.00,it gets rid of parasites,and sediment,improves taste,but no pumping or squeezing,just got my h2o amigo today,i will post more after i use it:cool: neo

Mouse
03-16-2005, 22:04
That is just what I did for most of my thruhike. The filter bottle was perfect for getting a big drink quickly at springs and the AquaMira let me treat water by the Platypus-ful without effort for drinking between springs. During the cold section when it was a bit chilly for chemicals to work in the normal time I just carried a filter bottle. In the last stretch through Maine I just carried the AquaMira to save weight.

It worked perfectly and if I thruhiked again I would use the same combination.

Smooth03
03-17-2005, 00:09
Too kewl...!

My buddy is doing a bike ride (Ride the Rockies) in June in CO. He was telling me that the acclimation time is FOUR DAYS...! Sound about right to you? 4 days to get used to the altitude...? New theory is that during acclimation, you sleep at a LOWER elevation (2 - 3,000 feet) than where you are daytime/awake hours.

Six or seven years ago, I got a nose bleed at 9,000 feet in AZ. That had never happened before - freaked me out! Plus, dry heaves, headaches, little purple polka-dots interferring with my vision.....<g>... Thought I was in shape - ...hehehe!

Well since I've been living at sea level(NYC) for the past year I should probably alot 4 days...but right now myself and my hiking partner I think are going to stay 2 nights in Denver before hitting the trail. Starting in Denver will give us 3-4 days before we get above treeline so hopefully I'll be ok. Perhaps I'm being ignorant...

Before I do the CT I'm also hiking the Mid State Trail in PA which is 272 miles. Two big last hurrahs in the US before I head overseas for grad school and the accumulation of debt which will foresake me from doing long trails for the next few years. Its gonna be a great summer!

SGT Rock
03-17-2005, 11:34
I've tried Aqua Mira, Polar Pure, iodine pills, and filters. I still like simple old pills.