PDA

View Full Version : Best place to spend a day or two to buy most gear

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 16:06
So the decision has been made. Not out of choice, but due to my country of residence, I need to buy most of the big stuff just before heading out on the trail this April 2nd(ish). :eek:

I will have my trail shoes socks cooking stuff and a few other bits, mainly clothing and the little easy things, duck tape, cord, first aid bits, bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns etc... but the rest I'm going to have to get in the states in a couple of days/the day before I start.

Im not looking for a lecture about the stupidity of doing this. I fully realise. However I cannot justify the massive cost of delivery from the states and/or the 200% price increase here in Mexico with zero choice.

If you had to buy tent, pack, sleeping bag, pad, rain coat, some clothing and much more the day before starting a thru.... where would it be?!

Do I find myself an REI in Atlanta or something similar, or do I fork out more money in order to get to Mountain Crossings and I guess pay more for the same stuff then shuttle back to Springer? or some other crazy scheme....

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 16:11
I won't have a car so if I had to go to Mountain Crossings, it'd have to be via public transport and/or shuttles

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 16:12
So the decision has been made. Not out of choice, but due to my country of residence, I need to buy most of the big stuff just before heading out on the trail this April 2nd(ish). :eek:

I will have my trail shoes socks cooking stuff and a few other bits, mainly clothing and the little easy things, duck tape, cord, first aid bits, bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns etc.One gun is plenty. Other than that REI would probably prove more convenient. You should order the stuff you need in advance and arrange for pick up at the store so that they have all your gear in stock. I'm sure you can figure it out with a phone call.

EastCoastFeastCoast
01-23-2012, 16:16
Do you know exactly where you're going to be the few days before you start? You could arrange delivery to said place and have it there when you get to the US, then test it right before you go. &nbsp;If you're going with cottage industry supplies this could probably be arranged fairly easily. &nbsp;If it's a friends house or a hostel they might be able to have it delivered weeks in advance so there's no risk of it not being late. &nbsp;Just a thought, good luck! &nbsp;Just remember certain items also need seem sealing, so that's an extra day or prep.<br><br><br>Happy Hangin'<br>Ben

Sly
01-23-2012, 16:26
Do I find myself an REI in Atlanta or something similar, or do I fork out more money in order to get to Mountain Crossings and I guess pay more for the same stuff then shuttle back to Springer? or some other crazy scheme....

You wouldn't necessarily get the lightest gear but REI is probably your best bet. What you'd spend on shuttles, and for more expensive stuff at Mountain Xings would get you to Damascus.

The Old Boot
01-23-2012, 16:26
While I'm not planning a thru, I'm in the same boat with the additional cost of shipping and the local prices being totally outrageous.

After much research as to what IS available locally, I've come to the conclusion that my best bet is to buy what I really, really want instead of having to settle for what I can buy in person, in the stores. To do that I will have to have everything shipped somewhere in the US ready for me to pick up when I arrive. That way I can order what one thing from store A, another from supplier B etc.

If you don't have a personal contact in the states who could receive parcels then contact a professional mail receiving firm and set yourself up with a US mailing address.

When I lived stateside I travelled 24/7 I had a private mail service company receiving all my mail for me. The company originally set themselves up for 'boat people', no not the kind that float in on rafts from Cuba...lol...the kind that live on their boats in marinas or just travelling up and down the shoreline. They needed a legal land residence for boat licenses, tax returns etc. The businesses have since expanded to include full-time RV'rs. Google 'RV'rs mail service' and you'll find a ton of companies.

If you live close to the Texas border, you might want to choose one in a border town so that you could pick up all your parcels once arrived, clear them back through the border and get your stuff packed properly. Either that or choose one in Florida and have them forward all your parcels to the Hiker Hostel enmass. It would mean starting out without having a chance to 'road-test' the stuff but it would work.

Oh, and I can't wait for the responses you get to the "bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns etc" in your gear list...:rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
01-23-2012, 16:35
Oh, and I can't wait for the responses you get to the "bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns etc" in your gear list...:rolleyes:

I'm hopeing he forgot the smiley face there, but then, he has been living in Mexico so you never know...

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 17:08
as always, it's so easy convey sarcasm to Americans even with overkill ;)

:) Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Gettign stuff sent somewhere so it can be picked up. I don't think I have any friends in Atlanta so the store will have to do.... hmmm

4eyedbuzzard
01-23-2012, 17:24
You could try one of the UPS Stores in the Atlanta area. There is one in Gainesville as well. Most offer package acceptance and hold for pickup. I have no idea what they charge for their service.

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 17:38
Just spoke to REI in Atlanta and they said it'd be totally cool to order things say 2-3 weeks before my arrival and they'll have all the stuff waiting for me when I get in. Sorted. Kinda Mexican minded so forgot about reliable customer service.

Megapixel
01-23-2012, 18:02
The ordering idea at REI is a good one. Take it a step further if you have the overhead $$$. Order a few sizes of each item you are unsure of. Or even a few types or brands of a particular piece of gear. You'll get billed for it, but if you do it say within a 30day frame you can just return what you don't want right there in store for immediate credit back to your card.

I've done this before with clothing, sleeping bags, and air mattresses. They'll even let you set up your tent there and try it out first.

With all that said, I really like the idea of a U.S. address where you can "ship to" items; specifically the bag and tent. I would want to get these from another retailer all together via tarptent or lightheart and western mountaineering or montbell.

Good luck on your hike!

lunchbx
01-23-2012, 18:12
campmor, start in jerzy and yo-yo the trail

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 18:24
would you say order the stuff in to the store save say the backpack and then pick one up there that fits my stuff well.....

Summit
01-23-2012, 20:50
As I was reading down the thread, your question was exactly what I was going to suggest. Wait and buy a properly fitted backpack. I agree with REI - Atlanta being your best option.

Summit
01-23-2012, 20:52
And if you walk into the Atlanta REI with your bowie knife and guns drawn, you might just get a real nice discount!!! :D

TOMP
01-23-2012, 21:03
[QUOTE=strollingalong;1243316]
I will have my trail shoes socks cooking stuff and a few other bits, mainly clothing and the little easy things, duck tape, cord, first aid bits, bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns etc... but the rest I'm going to have to get in the states in a couple of days/the day before I start.

Yeah atlanta REI seem like your best bet, you can order online and have it sent to the store for pick up. But if the rest of the gear your buying is as heavy and useless as the list above it really wont matter because you'll be off the trail in the first 50 miles anyway (or atleast the gear will be). Leave bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns at home. Seriously what do you plan to do with a 2 handed saw. Making new shelters on the way?

QUOTE]

Summit
01-23-2012, 21:15
But if the rest of the gear your buying is as heavy and useless as the list above it really wont matter because you'll be off the trail in the first 50 miles anyway (or atleast the gear will be). Leave bowie knife, double handed saw, shovel, 4-pack of skillets, both guns at home. Seriously what do you plan to do with a 2 handed saw. Making new shelters on the way?You must have missed that it's obviously a sarcastic comment.

Blissful
01-23-2012, 21:36
Just spoke to REI in Atlanta and they said it'd be totally cool to order things say 2-3 weeks before my arrival and they'll have all the stuff waiting for me when I get in. Sorted. Kinda Mexican minded so forgot about reliable customer service.

Sounds like a good plan.

strollingalong
01-23-2012, 21:41
hohohoho

Thanks.

coach lou
01-23-2012, 21:44
Campmor, Paramus, New Jersey

coach lou
01-23-2012, 21:48
Ops, misread OP................but, I'd still like to spend a few hours @ Campmor!!!

TOMP
01-23-2012, 21:54
You must have missed that it's obviously a sarcastic comment.

Yup someone definately missed the humor, just wasnt me...haha.

RetroGear
01-24-2012, 01:42
Regarding "REI in Atlanta" -- there are actually 4 REI stores here ... the so-called "Atlanta" store (which is on the I-85 frontage road about 1/4 mile south of Clairmont Road), the "Perimeter" store, a mile or so from Perimeter Mall, the "Kennesaw" store (in Kennesaw north of Atlanta), and the "Buford" store at the Mall of Georgia NE of Atlanta. You would probably be best served by the Atlanta store because (a) the Atlanta store is closest to downtown Atlanta and is most convenient (or should I say, least inconvenient?) to the airport (b) it is the largest, and (c) it seems to be the best-stocked. The reason I say it seems to be the best-stocked is, that when I'm on the REI website and I click on the 'find in store' button, the Atlanta store has what I'm looking for more often than the other stores do. My second choice would be the Perimeter store.

As to the other items ... try David's Gun Room in NE Atlanta or Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville. :D

bigcranky
01-24-2012, 09:37
I hate to rain on the REI parade, but Mountain Crossings would be a better choice for all that stuff. How are you getting to the Trail? If you're getting a shuttle, or better yet staying at The Hiker Hostel, you can get a ride over to MC the day before your hike. They'll have a better choice of gear that's specific to long distance hiking, and the staff to help you figure it out.

BTW you really only need two cast iron skillets, not four.

strollingalong
01-24-2012, 14:48
Thanks for the advice re the reis!

I want to spend a couple of days in atlanta anyway having a bit of an explore so that'll be fine.
great.... now to rest this damn achilles tendon

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2012, 14:53
Ops, misread OP................but, I'd still like to spend a few hours @ Campmor!!!I was there this past summer. The store is okay, but could use remodeling / updating, and they don't stock everything (at least on display) that's in the catalog/online. They still have one of the better tent displays I've seen though. I used to buy gear there all the time when I lived in Jersey - my first down bag (in 1972?) was their famous 20° down bag (still have that old brown thing). I remember when they were "Morsan".

swjohnsey
01-24-2012, 17:50
Another vote for Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. They have the best equipment selection that you will find plus the expertise to point you in the right direction for surviving the AT. They had ever ULA pack in ever size, something you ain't gonna find at REI.

Maybe you can get the folks at Hiker Hostel to shuttle you up or get some ratty gear to last you the first 30 miles.

ALLEGHENY
01-24-2012, 18:52
+1 only need 2 cast iron skillets. Walmart has the best prices on ammunition in the States.