PDA

View Full Version : I need help with footwear selection

Eywa Dude
01-23-2012, 16:56
I need help with footwear selection for my NOBO thru-hike this year. What do you suggest for the start? Do I need something different for the summer months? Winter vs. summer, breathable vs. non-breathable, mid-cut vs. low-cut? Also, are there any gear stores near the trail to get footwear, or do I have to mail-drop them in? I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Storm
01-23-2012, 18:29
I have noticed a trend to your posts, I usually don't mind but..... you do know this forum has a search funtion don't you?

TOMP
01-23-2012, 20:03
Yeah I dont think I can say anything that hasnt been said to in other footwear threads unless you tell us specific information about your footwear likes and dislikes, must haves etc.. Yes there are gear stores near the trail in various towns, also the first stop is an outfitter directly on the trail, rumors to be expensive (and more expensive for the unprepared). Mail drop is probably cheaper if you have someone at home to support your hike.

BabySue
01-23-2012, 20:16
I met a thru-hiker on the trail in VA last summer who told that Merrell will give a free pair of boots to thru-hikers. The idea is that you find a pair you like, wear it a long ways (in this guy's case from Springer to Damascus). You call Merrell and order another of the same (or make it larger or smaller if you're learned that you need an adjustement), and they'll mail them to a trail town post office. I haven't personally done this, but this fellow was north of Marion with shiny new free boots.

jacquelineanngrant
01-24-2012, 14:17
Footwear is a very personal choice. I use trail runners as early as March and all through the summer. I prefer no gortex. If there is a particular shoe you like buy a couple of pair and mail them to yourself. I have successfully bought shoes along the way on the AT and sometimes on sale at great prices. If you hike on a regular basis then stick with what works for you. If not, it's going to be trial and error anyway. I find that some duck tape on the feet eliminates alot of issues.