PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: Do I need to register for thru-hike recognition? (i.e. 2000 miler)

Eywa Dude
01-23-2012, 17:15
Sorry for my stupid question!:) Do I need to register with the ATC and WhiteBlaze to get recognition for completion of the trail? I mean, how do you prove that you hiked the whole thing? I know it sounds frivolous, but I think being included as part of a "year class" for completion of the trail is kind of cool. I'm not necessarily looking for "brownie points", or to impress anyone, it just somehow seems to further legitimize the experience within my own mind. Hopefully I make it to Katahdin! Thanks.

max patch
01-23-2012, 17:31
You don't have to "register" but when you complete your hike you'll need to complete the form linked to below and submit it to the ATC. To become a 2,000 miler you need to hike all the white blazes; the ATC uses the honor system - no "proof" is required.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/2012-a-t-2000-miler-application-.pdf

RWheeler
01-23-2012, 17:36
You don't have to, but stop at the ATC HQ in Harper's Ferry.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 19:15
The only stupid question is one that isnt asked.

It is totally honor system, and the ATC doesnt differentiate between section hiking or thru hiking. 3 months or 20yrs, its the same thing. to them.

Papa D
01-23-2012, 19:26
The only stupid question is one that isnt asked.

It is totally honor system, and the ATC doesnt differentiate between section hiking or thru hiking. 3 months or 20yrs, its the same thing. to them.

Yes, but those who have polaroids at HQ (now digital that looks like a polaroid) are typically members of a "class year" - Muddy Waters is right, a 2000 miler is a 2000 miler regardless of time but it IS kind of fun to be part of the "class of ___"

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 19:35
Obviously a great thing to be documented as part of a group. But still, not all make it, even after having their picture taken. So theres some flies in the vaseline.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 20:07
Obviously a great thing to be documented as part of a group. But still, not all make it, even after having their picture taken. So theres some flies in the vaseline.

Dont get me wrong, hell if someone makes it even half way thats worth a picture and recognition as part of the group.:).

Don H
01-23-2012, 20:22
You can see the Harpers Ferry pictures for 2011 here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atconservancy/sets/72157625887686293/

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/atconservancy/sets/72157625887686293/)

Papa D
01-23-2012, 20:22
Dont get me wrong, hell if someone makes it even half way thats worth a picture and recognition as part of the group.:).

oh, yeah - sure - but, I think that by the time you make it halfway, your chances are starting to get pretty good - either way, it's ok to have the pic there and not finish - fun either way

WingedMonkey
01-23-2012, 20:32
I signed the hidden register at Springer, I had my pic taken at Harpers, I checked in at the Rangers Log at Kathadin.
I followed every blaze from Georgia to Maine.
I've never registered with the ATC.

4shot
01-23-2012, 20:49
your choice if you want the recognition - some do, some don't. People who hike may think it's interesting that you completed the trail in one year but most "normal" people aren't going to care one way or the other - and if they do, they'll probably think that you've lost your mind for doing so.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2012, 21:40
A few are too clean shaven and well-fed looking, on closer inspection they are section hikers. I didnt know they took section hikers pics. too.

Blissful
01-23-2012, 21:43
When you get to K, the ranger there has the form to fill out for ATC. You get a certificate, a rocker and a patch and your name mentioned in the magazine.
I like the stuff myself. :) No one else give a hoot, but that's ok. I can use it now to help others acvhieve their dream.

Blissful
01-23-2012, 21:47
I signed the hidden register at Springer, I had my pic taken at Harpers, I checked in at the Rangers Log at Kathadin.
I followed every blaze from Georgia to Maine.
I've never registered with the ATC.

I don't believe you hiked it then....

:)

(totally kidding) :)

Honestly the reason its good to register with ATC is not some proclaimed self glory but so they have records of totals for that year or subsequent year. And the folks there genuinely like to hear when people have done it. It makes their effort on behalf of the trail worth it, too. A lot of people work hard so we can enjoy the trail. So let them know you enjoyed it by telling them so.

Grampie
01-24-2012, 13:49
There is no need to regester. You don't have to sign any regesters along the way. The only place you have to do anything is get a permit, self register, to hike the Smokeys. You don't need your picture taken at Harpers Ferry either.
Anyone can claim to have hiked the 2000 miles. Just write to the ATC, tell them you hiked, starting such and such date, finished at such and such date and they will send you a 2000 miler certificate. I would bet that 1/2 of all the certificates issued by the ATC are flawed. If you did the deed, hiked 2000 miles, only you know and that's all that matters.