PDA

View Full Version : My gear list: May 1 NOBO

takethisbread
01-24-2012, 13:44
Ive never been to Georgia in May so I have uncertainty about what I might face.Haven't weighed it all up but I'm guessing I'll come in under 10Pack: ULA circuitBag: Kelty 40 with 7 ounce bivyShelter : Go lite Tarp silnylonChord-stakesTissueOne extra 6 ounce coatPlastic bagCell phonePad (exped)LighterI'm gonna try stove less and I might mixt in a hammock and switch out to a lighter bag/ liner.

TOMP
01-24-2012, 14:21
Is this every item that your bringing?

Blissful
01-24-2012, 14:23
You can get some colder areas until mid May. I've seen hikers switch to summer weight after trail days and then have a bit of an awkening with chilly temps for a few days in VA afterwards. But for the most part the going will be hot and humid. From Memorial Day on its summer, summer. And I've had Kelty and with their rating - figure its 50 degree.
Why do you need a bivy if you have a tarp set up?

TOMP
01-24-2012, 17:28
Why do you need a bivy if you have a tarp set up?

bugs would be my guess (but also wind), the major downside of tarps.

takethisbread
01-24-2012, 19:51
Is this every item that your bringing?Pretty much. The bivy, btw, I use with the tarp to give extra rain and bug protection. I appreciate the input as to weather to expect. I'm pretty good with such a light setup when the night temps stay above 42 or soI don't cook. Also I'm thinking of switching to a Gossamer or MLD product for the Bag, as the Circuit is a bit bulky, for the little load. I'm kinda trying to pick out the best possible product, but want to have one bag the whole trip, and have heard of cats using 2-3 bags on a thru, I can't afford that.