PDA

View Full Version : Apple House Shelter

RETCW4
01-24-2012, 14:13
I just saw in The AT Guide that the Apple House Shelter is to be removed in 2012. Does anyone know if there will be tentsites at the location or has anyone been to Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel?

Tumbleweed

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2012, 14:45
From my copy of the TEHCC newsletters, because of the location is so close to 19E, there is a long term plan to remove Apple House Shelter and replace it with tent pads. Stan Murray Shelter is also being looked into for removal. I have not heard any other info. Mountain Squid probably has more info since he is more current with TEHCC maintenance.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2012, 16:18
I stopped at Mountain Harbor B+B for the first time last year and was glad I did. Best breakfest I ever had on the trail was there. Back in '08 I passed it by, but everyone who I meet who stopped there raved about it, so I made sure I stopped this time.

SCRUB HIKER
01-24-2012, 17:50
No matter what happens, I bet the TEHCC will have signs posted about it in all the shelters for a long way in either direction. You'll probably know a few days in advance what's what. They're extremely organized and informative in that way.

brian039
01-24-2012, 18:56
There is really good camping already there, I don't think many people actually used the shelter to sleep in. I know I wouldn't have, it was pretty bad. And yeah Mountain Harbor is great. You can tent, stay in the bunkhouse which is really nice, or get a private room. That and the Whistlestop had without a doubt the best breakfasts I had on the trail.

Lyle
01-24-2012, 19:27
Last summer I stayed a couple of nights at Kinkora. Bob attended a trail committee meeting the second night. When he came back late in the evening, he joined us for some leftover pizza we had delivered. If I remember right, he told us that that was one of the items they had decided that evening, to remove the Apple House Shelter. Can't say we disagreed with him. When we had passed by it on our way, it was totally trashed, including a number of very used condoms. Bob said that that was the norm, no matter how often they policed it and cleaned it. He also said that the Laural Fork Shelter is as big of problem, and we may loose it. The only thing stopping them, is the fact that it is in a Wilderness Area, and if it is removed, it will never be able to be replaced.

Regarding Mountain Harbour. I've used their services for two consecutive years, both shuttle and staying overnight. Last summer, three of us called from the Overmountain shelter to make reservations. We were told there was room, and we had a place in the hostel. On our arrival, however, we were advised that there had been a mis-communication on their part, and there was, in fact, no room in the hostel. They directed us to one of the rooms in the big house, did our laundry, provided a plate of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies (still warm), shuttled us to the store, provided one of the greatest breakfasts I've ever seen, and they charged us the hostel rate. First class operation, first class people.

Papa D
01-24-2012, 19:55
Apple House is a really sketchy shelter (and I like sketchy sometimes) but it is very close to the road and the majority of the people who camp here are NOT backpackers - they are local groups of party kids and (I've heard) that vandalism is really bad around here too. I'm not sure if Mountain Harbor charges a tent fee (in their huge grassy lot) but there are plenty of flat tent spots south of Apple House after you come down the mountain that will be free. My first blush is that this is probably a good idea. On the other hand, it's sort of sad to hear about the Stan Murray Shelter - it's is an oldie but a goodie in my book - I know Over Mountain Shelter is close (and super cool) but there is something sort of charming about little Stan Murray - what harm does it do? Maybe someone can shed some light on this - I've had fun staying at Stan Murray - it was fairly new when I thru-hiked in '85 - (10 years old?) - I think I tented there though. I did stay in there in '08 again with friends and we had a lot of fun. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell me why to tear it down.

mountain squid
01-24-2012, 20:06
Apple House Shelter is indeed 'scheduled' for removal. No firm date as of yet. I'm not sure of the exact level of removal either. It is an older shelter and because of its age it might be 'historic'. I believe we are awaiting approval from the Forest Service to proceed.

Once it has been removed I will provide the details to WhiteBlaze.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Lone Wolf
01-24-2012, 20:51
Apple House Shelter is indeed 'scheduled' for removal. No firm date as of yet. I'm not sure of the exact level of removal either. It is an older shelter and because of its age it might be 'historic'. I believe we are awaiting approval from the Forest Service to proceed.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)it is an old existing dwelling. it wasn't built as an AT shelter

HT1
01-24-2012, 21:21

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

getting permission to remove a historical building is not that hard, write a full history, take lots of pictures, provide an impact statement to the controlling entity.
wait for permission
I was "remotly" involved in the removal of several "historic" buildings in pearl harbor it is not as painful as some would have you believe, especially if the structure is "unsafe".... use that in the impact statement everytime UNSAFE, helps move things along!

Papa D
01-24-2012, 21:37
getting permission to remove a historical building is not that hard, write a full history, take lots of pictures, provide an impact statement to the controlling entity.
wait for permission
I was "remotly" involved in the removal of several "historic" buildings in pearl harbor it is not as painful as some would have you believe, especially if the structure is "unsafe".... use that in the impact statement everytime UNSAFE, helps move things along!

being in the historic restoration business, I'm glad to know the tactics of the folks that like to tear things down. I usually side on the side of preservation but I would agree (as earlier stated) that Apple House should probably go.

Tennessee Viking
01-24-2012, 22:41

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)I would guess it would be a good project for the ASU Trail Crew. Let me know, I might head back for that project.

flemdawg1
01-24-2012, 23:18
Stayed there on a Saturday night in early October 2010, it was pretty clean and no party kids showed up. I'd vote to keep it myself.

Blissful
01-25-2012, 15:47
Good decision.

Jeff
01-25-2012, 16:51
If Apple House shelter was removed there would be 18 miles between Overmountain and Mountaineer Falls Shelters. How would hikers ever handle such a long way between shelters? :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
01-25-2012, 18:20
If Apple House shelter was removed there would be 18 miles between Overmountain and Mountaineer Falls Shelters. How would hikers ever handle such a long way between shelters? :rolleyes:

Stay at the B+B. The trail between Overmountain and Mountaineer falls isn't the easiest. First you have the two humps to hump over to get to 19E (pray for good weather) and then getting from 19E to Mountaineer is a bit of a grunt. Though a nice one. The view back towards Roan Mt is nice, as is Jones Falls.

Marta
01-25-2012, 21:10
I stayed there during my thru in '06. It was December, cold and wet, and we certainly weren't troubled by any other people, locals or otherwise. I'm not sure removing the shelter will accomplish much in terms of reducing trash, etc. Think about Doll Flats--it's usually pretty disgusting.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 21:25
Options:
A good long hike
Tenting on the trail - there are plenty of tent sites before and after Mountain Harbor
Tenting at Mtn Harbor - not sure what they charge to camp in the field - might be free.

I think that if the shelter was removed that a new one would eventually be constructed somewhere a little further from the road - North of Mountain Harbor

Tennessee Viking
01-25-2012, 21:50
I think the main concern a lot of hikers will have is more of the long term plan...Mtn Harbour B&B will not be open forever. Yes there are tent sites along the trail, but the Buck Mtn area is not one of the most inviting places to setup camp.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2012, 00:19
Stay at the B+B. The trail between Overmountain and Mountaineer falls isn't the easiest. First you have the two humps to hump over to get to 19E (pray for good weather) and then getting from 19E to Mountaineer is a bit of a grunt. Though a nice one. The view back towards Roan Mt is nice, as is Jones Falls.

Did Overmountain to Kincora in one day, hungover!

waasj
01-29-2012, 10:38
Mountaineer Fallls to Over mountain is doable. The area north of 19 to about Elk River/ Jones Falls seems to be over used by the local 4 wheeler set. Have heard of local hostility, but did not encounter it last summer on a Sunday. Apple house loooked a tad shaby but usable. Stopped to chat with someone set up there. I can see that it would be a logical spot for the local kiids to head for with a six pack and pocketful of condoms. Mountain Harbor looked very comfortable and they had held a resupply for me that a buddy had dropped there. Doll Flats looked very comfortable on my way through.

Laurel Forks was not to my liking due to the location. Is there a chance it could be relocated closer to the river? I got to the shelter and remember thinking that it was a too bad it was way up on the side if the gorge when there is a really cool river right there. Passed several areas that would be fantastic sites for a shelter. Wound up tenting on the riverside. Also can see that it might draw a party crowd. While I was there several kids (18-20 year olds) passed through with no gear, no problem, but when you see that and then all the graffiti around the falls,...

Stan Murray looked OK. The water source was a bit small, but I could see using it. It's size and location would preclude large groups from occupying it.

ocalacomputerguy
02-09-2012, 20:57
Hiked from Carver's Gap to 19E in 2011. Stan Murray looked on the run down side. Apple house looked like it was in better shape than Stan Murray. We parked at the Harbor Mountain B&B and they shuttled us to Carver's Gap. Very nice people. Did not stay there but checked out the hostel area (top floor of their barn) and it was nice.

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2012, 22:36
Laurel Forks was not to my liking due to the location. Is there a chance it could be relocated closer to the river? I got to the shelter and remember thinking that it was a too bad it was way up on the side if the gorge when there is a really cool river right there. Passed several areas that would be fantastic sites for a shelter. Wound up tenting on the riverside. Also can see that it might draw a party crowd. While I was there several kids (18-20 year olds) passed through with no gear, no problem, but when you see that and then all the graffiti around the falls,...
The problem is Laurel Fork Shelter is located inside the Pond Mtn wilderness area. Relocating is not a viable option. The creek waters are known to flood fairly high during extreme wet seasons. And the gorge is very accessible.

Right now, the ATC is considering possible removal of Laurel Fork. A replacement would be hard to come by. As the only possible place to built is probably on the climb up Pond Mtn and would have to be carried in by hand.

And with Kincora and Black Bear (about to open) and possibly Braemer (if it reopens) replacing Laurel Fork is not a high priority.

bflorac
02-09-2012, 23:39
I did not stay the night there but the location of Laurel Fork Shelter is quite unique. Note the natural crevice behind it. It is quite unique. Perhaps boring to some but I try to note the these types of unique things along the trial.

That said, if it was moved to the top of Pond Mtn at least that would give you a reason to go there. Pond Mtn is the biggest PUD I have ever hiked.

mountain squid
02-22-2012, 17:33
Just to let everyone know, Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb. I'll post more details as they become available. If anyone is interested in assisting let me know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Tennessee Viking
02-22-2012, 18:02
If it gets moved to a weekend in March, let me know.

mountain squid
02-22-2012, 18:10
OK. I think it has to be down by 1 Apr, so if the date changes or if it takes longer than one trip, I'll let you know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sarge95
02-22-2012, 18:16
Viking we will have appy state trail crew up on 3 Mar and 28 May for trail work on Pond or Hughes Gap. It will more than likely by on Pond. We would love to have you join us. Sarge

mountain squid
02-22-2012, 18:26
Hey Tennessee Viking or Sarge (or anyone for that matter),

I updated the 2012 Maintenance Announcements on the homepage with the 3 March outing with ASU. Is it showing up on the homepage? The thread has been edited but I am not seeing the changes on the homepage.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sarge95
02-22-2012, 18:37
Squid, I didnt see it.

Viking, We will have Hardcore on Pond on Sunday and South of Cloudland on Monday. Im not sure exactly where at Cloudland. My guess would be near Ash Gap.

mountain squid
02-22-2012, 19:21
It should be visible now on the homepage. I used a different edit option and it seemed to work.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sarge95
02-22-2012, 19:29
Its working great Squid

Just a Hiker
02-23-2012, 07:49
Just to let everyone know, Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb. I'll post more details as they become available. If anyone is interested in assisting let me know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Carl told us yesterday that we could bring our own pry bar to help tear down Apple House, but should I bring a claw hammer as well?

sarge95
02-23-2012, 08:28
Sure Jim we dont have many claw hammers.

Just a Hiker
02-23-2012, 20:07
Sure Jim we dont have many claw hammers.

Thanks Sarge....I'll bring one!

mountain squid
02-26-2012, 18:39
Apple House Shelter is tentatively scheduled for removal next Tue, 28 Feb.

Postponed at least a week. Wiil update as required.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 18:45
Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain Harbour hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!

Papa D
02-26-2012, 20:37
Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain House hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!

I assume you mean "Mountain Harbor" - Mountain House makes expensive dehydrated stuff sold in Outdoor Stores for people that don't know how to shop otherwise ----+ 1 on "Mountain Harbor"- Hey Red Hat! When you going to get out again? You need to get back out....... I remember your outrageous off-trail, hitch-hike in Maine ...... good to see you on WB again!!

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 14:35
Not sorry to see it go. Stayed at the Mountain Harbour hostel both times when I came through. Great hostel, limited space, but fantastic breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast, I swear it's the best on the whole trail!

ABSOLUTELY. My youngest daughter's very first section hike started there. We drove over, spent the night above the horse barn, and had that FANTASTIC breakfast before setting foot on the trail. Real linen, real china, real goblets, and awesome food, including vegetarian. All the hikers at the table were trying to convince her that was a normal AT breakfast. LOL Then our first night on the trail was at Mountaineer Falls Shelter. She lost all illusions (?) she might have had about her old Dad "roughing it" when he went to backpack on the AT!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

Red Hat
02-27-2012, 17:46
I assume you mean "Mountain Harbor" - Mountain House makes expensive dehydrated stuff sold in Outdoor Stores for people that don't know how to shop otherwise ----+ 1 on "Mountain Harbor"- Hey Red Hat! When you going to get out again? You need to get back out....... I remember your outrageous off-trail, hitch-hike in Maine ...... good to see you on WB again!!

"outrageous hitchhike?" I assume you mean when I got lost & Cabana Boy and Dutch Tape picked me up and brought me back to the trail... or do you mean my road walk (not a hitch!) around Mahoosic Notch so I didn't end up dead like the moose? Actually I plan on doing Maine again this year. Walking the whole way. Been walking some all the time, including John Muir last year. Good to be back... I just gave the bs a rest

Papa D
02-27-2012, 20:11
"outrageous hitchhike?" I assume you mean when I got lost & Cabana Boy and Dutch Tape picked me up and brought me back to the trail... or do you mean my road walk (not a hitch!) around Mahoosic Notch so I didn't end up dead like the moose? Actually I plan on doing Maine again this year. Walking the whole way. Been walking some all the time, including John Muir last year. Good to be back... I just gave the bs a rest

HA HA - that's right -circumnavigation of the Notch! I knew it was something like that? Good luck in Maine - hope to see you on the trail!!

mountain squid
03-05-2012, 20:09
The tentative dismantle date is now Wed the 7th. We are still waiting for final approval papers, so if the date changes again I'll update. If anyone is interested in joining the fun let me know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just a Hiker
03-07-2012, 23:00
The tentative dismantle date is now Wed the 7th. We are still waiting for final approval papers, so if the date changes again I'll update. If anyone is interested in joining the fun let me know.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Squid, did anyone take any photos today? I meant to take a picture or two before we left this afternoon, but I was tired and I forgot.

sarge95
03-08-2012, 21:04
Jim, Im sure squid has pics of the removal of the Shelter. If he dont I have a few. Sarge

mountain squid
03-10-2012, 20:47
If you haven't figured it out, Apple House Shelter is no more. You should have seen the mice scatter . . . We have reduced it to several piles of lumber. There were lots of nails so be careful when walking by. Eventually we will return to do something with the leftover wood and nails.

Just a Hiker and sarge95 and everyone else, I do have some photos and might upload some soon.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bus
03-11-2012, 22:37
Thanks for the work guys. That shelter was really too close to the road in an somewhat unfriendly-to-hiker area(well except for Mountain Harbour which is awesome;and by the way ask them about the best pizza in town).

Hopefully Stan Murray will remain. It is a good brunch stopping point-or lunch if you spent time to do the Grassy Ridge side trip.