PDA

View Full Version : Not to miss, favorites, bests, etc.

Megapixel
01-25-2012, 00:52
Hi all,

I'm going through my 2012 guidebook, highlighting anything that may be considered a "not to miss" item, so that I won't overlook something. I know you can really "plan" a thru-hike out, but it's nice to take a few notes.

With that said, please point out your favorites, and not to miss things on the trail: i.e. campsites, side trails, and restaurants !!! Anything else you can think of, and much appreciation in advance.

(And yes, I've used the search feature, and gone through the entire campsites forum, and spent about 10 hours or so last night highlighting my book...couldn't find much besides tons of information on GA campsites, hostels not to miss I'm squared away on too, VA campsites are mentioned also... not much on restaurants and campsites in other states... also haven't researched shelters but know the barn shelter is supposed to be a cool experience...)

Again, thanks for helping make my hike potentially even better.

Megapixel
01-25-2012, 01:24
I might as well add my own input, in case anyone else gets some use out of this thread:

PA: When we arrived at the Ironmasters, they werent' taking hikers until 5pm. It was 35 degrees , raining, and we were chilled to the bone at 12 noon. At the general store a local took us to the Holly Inn... amazing stay, amazing owner, food was good too.

ME: Harrison Pierce Pond Camps breakfast. don't miss it. Shaw's breakfast. don't miss it. Antlers camp. Amazing, experience camping there alone, very picturesque.

4shot
01-25-2012, 07:39
This topic is wide open but here's a few...Waynesboro is the best trail town and the Chinese AYCE there was great.Pancakes at the Upper Goose Pond shelter.Best lodging value is the Allenberry in Boiling Springs.Food/beer if not a stay at the Doyle is a requirement almost.Palmerton, great place. The church hostel at DWG and Tom's place in Dalton.The Homestead or Home Place AYCE restaurant in ? Va. just after Dragon's Tooth.Hot Boiling Springs, nC.

Notice I didn't mention anyplace that is actually on the trail as it's a given you will see them. With the right mix of people, anyplace was great. Those are just a few of the top of my head.

Cookerhiker
01-25-2012, 09:51
On the Trail: numerous sights, too many to list. Off-Trail: here's a few, I might think of some others later.

1. Smokies - very short side trail to Clingman's Dome tower, highest point on the AT. Even in foggy weather (which is typical), it's worth a climb.

2. Smokies - side trail to Charlies Bunion but I'd only do this in clear weather

3. Virginia/SNP - camp on top of HighTop Mountain where there's a spring, areas for tenting and hammocking, and nice views westward.

4. Port Clinton, PA - Port Clinton Hotel has good meals including the largest "small" portion of fries you'll ever see.

5. CT/MA - not off-trail but if it fits in your schedule, camp in Sages Ravine on the CT/MA border - very picturesque

6. Vermont - Inn at the Long Trail at the crest of Sherbourne Pass/Rt. 4. I'd recommend taking the blue-blazed trail there; it used to be the AT until recently when the AT was routed down slightly to the west and then back up to rejoin the blue-blaze further on the north side of Rt. 4. The Inn has hiker rates, decent food including Irish dishes, and good brews.

Megapixel
01-25-2012, 11:19
On the Trail: numerous sights, too many to list. Off-Trail: here's a few, I might think of some others later.

4. Port Clinton, PA - Port Clinton Hotel has good meals including the largest "small" portion of fries you'll ever see.

Larger than a 5 guys portion of fries?

and Thanks cookerhiker. I'll be sure to highlight some of these ideas.

Grampie
01-25-2012, 11:35
A must stop is the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. It's the best deal on the trail. It offers, bed with a matress, inside with no bugs, free breakfast, spring water delivered to your door step, nice pond to swim in, well maintained priveys and a canoe to use.

Jeff
01-25-2012, 11:45
6. Vermont - Inn at the Long Trail at the crest of Sherbourne Pass/Rt. 4. I'd recommend taking the blue-blazed trail there; it used to be the AT until recently when the AT was routed down slightly to the west and then back up to rejoin the blue-blaze further on the north side of Rt. 4. The Inn has hiker rates, decent food including Irish dishes, and good brews.

Absolutely good advice !!

Also in Vermont -- The Whistle Stop restaurant at VT 103 (Good swimming in Clarendon gorge right before 103) & West Hartford General Store has a great breakfast/lunch counter.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2012, 11:45
The Homeplace in Catawba, Va.
http://home.jps.net/~kevind/thehomeplace/

Lone Wolf
01-25-2012, 11:50
http://home.jps.net/~kevind/thehomeplace/

and this place is a 6 mile hitch EAST if going NOBO at US 321 at Watauga Lake
http://www.shirleyshomecooking.com/menu/

peakbagger
01-25-2012, 13:56
The knifes edge as a way of leaving the summit of Katahdin.

Calculator
01-25-2012, 14:24
It's hard to get into and out of Danby, VT without having to walk, however there are the Danby slides there which is an awesome natural rock water slide. Probably one of the best swimming holes in VT. Also you can stock up on beer and sandwiches at the general store right around the corner from the slides.

Tinker
01-25-2012, 14:29
Absolutely good advice !!

Also in Vermont -- The Whistle Stop restaurant at VT 103 (Good swimming in Clarendon gorge right before 103) & West Hartford General Store has a great breakfast/lunch counter.

Another Vermont institution (down the hill east on VT 4 from Inn at Long Trail, or south on 101 from where the AT crosses it after going through Gifford Woods campground.
http://longtrail.com/

Tinker
01-25-2012, 14:34
In Maine, right after the Kennebec crossing (NOBO) - http://www.northernoutdoors.com/site/resort/the-forks-resort-center/kennebec-river-brewery.html

They have some campsites if you want to make it an overnighter.

d.o.c
01-25-2012, 16:39
http://home.jps.net/~kevind/thehomeplace/ be sure you plan ahead for this or you will miss it if you hit Va311 there on the wrong days they are closed one or two days a week i havent been there in a lil while but its deff a not miss spot to eat in VA..

d.o.c
01-25-2012, 16:41
^and super easy hitch or a lil over a mile walk from the trail to the front door.

Zipper
01-25-2012, 20:20
Sunrise from the top of Clingman's Dome. Hike up by moonlight if it works out. We were lucky to have a full moon.
Woods Hole Hostel near Pearisburg, VA - Fabulous!
Sunrise or sunset from McAfee Knob, VA. Camp at Campbell Shelter.
Spy Rock in VA, near the Dutch Haus B&B - it's a very short walk from the trail and so worth it - 360 degree views!
Bears Den Hostel just south of Harpers Ferry - ice cream and pizza!
Also the Blackburn Trail Center south of Harpers Ferry - free dinner to thru -hikers. If you're not in a hurry, stop at both places!
Swimming or eating ice cream or playing in the creeks at Caledonia State Park, PA. Yum!
I think the Doyle is a must-stay! If you're a solo hiker, I recommend room 24. Great views of the Susquehanna!
The nut shop in Port Clinton, PA. Yummy treats!
Ice cream and subs throughout PA, NY, NJ - look through your guide and you might not have to pack much food - you can get bfast and lunch/dinner at lots of great little stops. I loved Bellvale Creamery, and several others. Tiorati Circle has food too - at least vending machines.
Bromley Mtn in Vermont - if you don't mind wind and heavy dew, you can camp up on the mountain (there's a great platform with views) to see sunrise and sunset. The ski hut might be available too.
Mountain Meadows Lodge serves lunch and I loved it for a resupply and a zero in VT. It is directly on the trail.
I agree that Whistle Stop Cafe in VT is a fantastic place to get delicious food. There's also a convenience store about .5 miles further down the road for light resupply.
I'm glad I hiked up Moosilauke and then camped on the other side at Beaver Brook Shelter. Got there early and journalled and napped - great views of Franconia Ridge if it's clear. I enjoyed making that a short day and being fresh for the climb down the other side.
There is a tiny beach at East Carry Pond - big enough for one tent. Sunrise. Loons. Lovely.
If the weather's cooperating, there's also a tiny spot on White Cap Mountain for a tent. See the sunset and the sunrise from the last big peak in the 100 mile Wilderness before Katahdin.
I loved White House Landing and recommend it highly. If you resupply there you don't have to rush through the 100 mile wilderness. It's so beautiful if you end up there in September. I loved Cooper Brook Falls and Rainbow Stream Lean tos as well. Lovely places to stop and enjoy the scenery. Don't rush the Wilderness if you can help it!

Best wishes to everyone planning their big hikes this year!
Cheers!
Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

fireneck
01-26-2012, 14:14
Smokies :: Mt. Cammerer it's just over a mile round trip. Beautiful views. The lookout tower was restored in '94. Also great place for refuge if you got caught in a nasty winter storm.

bwendel07
01-26-2012, 16:08
Good thread I was searching also but did not know exactly how to phrase it.

shwn354
01-26-2012, 16:21
I really liked the Bear Mtn zoo (not that you would miss it)

shwn354
01-26-2012, 16:22
Also as I just now recall there were soda machines on top of Bear Mtn. I didn't have enough change, only a $5 and ran around for 45 minutes asking people if they had change for a five to no avail. I returned to my pack by the machines totally deflated, only to find out they accept $5 bills! Hawaiian punch never tasted so good...

Datto
01-26-2012, 20:40
I put some of the sights to see in my Datto's AT Thru-hiking Tips artilce on Whiteblaze here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8136-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto

Megapixel
01-26-2012, 21:01
Good thread I was searching also but did not know exactly how to phrase it.

Something else that helped me was taking some time to go through the special points of interest forum topic, as well as reading the various shelter and campsite forum topics. Even still, some great information has surfaced so far here that I was not aware of.

I put some of the sights to see in my Datto's AT Thru-hiking Tips artilce on Whiteblaze here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8136-Datto-s-AT-Thru-Hiking-Tips

Datto

thanks Datto. I'm going to go read it now.

Cookerhiker
01-26-2012, 21:55
One other place: when you leave Harpers Ferry after hiking 2 miles along the C&O Canal, ,you ascend the ridgeline. Reaching the top at a T intersection, the AT goes left and a blueblazed trail goes right. Take the blueblazed for about 100 yards to Weverton Cliffs for a splendid view of the Potomac. Looking upstream (right), you see Harpers Ferry and the gaps in the mountains caused by the Potomac and Shenandoah. Well-worth the short side trip.