PDA

View Full Version : Car Re-locator Service? Bills Wheels of Georgia

Ashman
01-25-2012, 07:09
I was trying to get a shuttle quote for an upcoming hike. One provider I contacted told me that they offer a car re-locator service. They meet you at your starting point, drive your car to the take out point. You hike back to your car. The quote for doing so came in cheaper than a traditional shuttle (meet the shuttle at the take out, leave you car there, the shuttle takes you to the start point). The provider was "Bills Wheels of Georgia". Ha anyone done this? Has anyone used this provider (for car relocation or traditional shuttle) before?

fiddlehead
01-25-2012, 08:36
Haven't used them but this is what we did on a few of our Allagash trips.
But, it takes 2 people, rather than 1 to do a shuttle.
So, I don't see how it could be cheaper than a shuttle.
Just my 2 cents.

JAK
01-25-2012, 10:20
Car relcator service is a really cool idea. In theory it doesn't have to take two people, as you can get some economies of scale if you get enough business. The car doesn't need to be relocated right away, which helps.

Rain Man
01-25-2012, 15:34
Ha anyone done this?

I've had my vehicle shuttled lots (okay, several) times. Works great when you can arrange it.

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
01-25-2012, 15:49
I might try to get a WB member or fellow hiker to do it.

Ashman
01-25-2012, 18:24
I might try to get a WB member or fellow hiker to do it.

Great idea! Our group is looking to start at Amicalola April 6th. We would get there sometime early afternoon. If anyone would be willing to re-locate my car to Dick's Creek Gap, PM me and let's try to work out details.

lunchbx
01-25-2012, 20:19
so wait do you leave you keys in the car for the person who will drive it to your end point? Then what do they do when they get the car there and your not due back for several days?, do they leave the keys in the visor?, on top of the tire? Anyone have a beamer or mercedes and planning to do this soon, let me know so i can steal your car, lol.

Spokes
01-25-2012, 20:37
so wait do you leave you keys in the car for the person who will drive it to your end point? Then what do they do when they get the car there and your not due back for several days?, do they leave the keys in the visor?, on top of the tire? Anyone have a beamer or mercedes and planning to do this soon, let me know so i can steal your car, lol.

I had the same question. The description in the opening post seems back-arse-wards to me.

Better to meet you at the end, let you park your car, keep the key, then drop you off at the start.

Doc Mike
01-25-2012, 20:41
Anyone have 2 sets of keys to their car? Carry one and lock the other set in when they park it. Just like I do at the dealer when picking up car after hours.

Spokes
01-25-2012, 20:47
Anyone have 2 sets of keys to their car? Carry one and lock the other set in when they park it. Just like I do at the dealer when picking up car after hours.

What's a key? I drive a Prius. Can't leave a fob inside a hybrid....

Del Q
01-25-2012, 20:54
I think that there was a movie about this - DELIVERANCE!

Banjo's and all..............

lunchbx
01-25-2012, 21:00
makes enough sense i forgot that most people have multiple copies of their car key, I havent had a spare key for my past three cars so i forgot this simple fact. Its been about five years since ive had a car with a spare key lol. I actually locked my keys in my car on the start of a short hike over a weekend, left the keys in the ignition and went to the back to get my pack out and closed all the doors b4 realizing my mistake. I was so pissed at myself i punched the side of my car leaving a set of knuckle sized dents which exists to this day. luckily I have AAA and had to wait at the road crossing till they arrived to open the door for me. It was cold and raining that night and luckily i had put on my fleece and my raingear before being locked out or i would have certainly been hypothermic by the time they showed up. Live and learn i guess haha.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 21:56
The best way to do this (for a section hike) is to take a BICYCLE to the take-out spot, hike it into the woods and lock it on a tree, drive to the put in spot and hike to the bicycle. Stash your pack really good and ride the bike back to your car. Go get your pack. Easy fun way to set shuttle for yourself on a hike of 100 miles or less. Just my silly two cents.

fiddlehead
01-25-2012, 22:03
We always hid a key and told the driver where it is.
If stealing cars is what you are into, I know for a fact you can often find keys in those magnetic boxes.
just have to search hard.
I always have them on my vehicles.
I often leave my car for long periods of time.
I've never had a car stolen.

As to riding a bike to save hitchiking? In the GA mountains from FS 42 to Dick's Creek gap.
wanna race? That would be easier to walk then bike I believe.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 22:10
We always hid a key and told the driver where it is.
If stealing cars is what you are into, I know for a fact you can often find keys in those magnetic boxes.
just have to search hard.
I always have them on my vehicles.
I often leave my car for long periods of time.
I've never had a car stolen.

As to riding a bike to save hitchiking? In the GA mountains from FS 42 to Dick's Creek gap.
wanna race? That would be easier to walk then bike I believe.

I have one of those magnetic things - yea, I'll race you on my bike - I regularly do 50 and 100 mile rides - naturally, some areas don't work as well for this.

fiddlehead
01-26-2012, 00:54
I'd hitchhike and race you for sure except I won't be near northern GA for a while.
I'm almost exactly as far away from there as one can possible get.
They are some steep, windy roads you've got around there.

by the way, I'm working on getting a bike and getting in shape with it also.
Some of my PCT friends want to come over here and bicycle Laos (border to border)
Was gonna do it with my motorbike but they said maybe I was too old for adventurous travel anymore. Nah.

atraildreamer
01-27-2012, 17:37
When we went to Stratton Mtn., Vt, on the AT, I gave my hiking partner a spare car key, just in case anything were to happen to me (the driver). Most cars come with 2 keys/fobs, and you can usually get a spare set made, if needed. Just plan ahead.

lunchbx
01-27-2012, 18:16
The best way to do this (for a section hike) is to take a BICYCLE to the take-out spot, hike it into the woods and lock it on a tree, drive to the put in spot and hike to the bicycle. Stash your pack really good and ride the bike back to your car. Go get your pack. Easy fun way to set shuttle for yourself on a hike of 100 miles or less. Just my silly two cents.

Like this idea, its much cheaper than paying some one and as an added benefit its green. I would figure out a way to stow my pack on my bike that way you can save more gas by not having to return for it with the car later.

Desert Reprobate
01-27-2012, 21:42
Great idea! Our group is looking to start at Amicalola April 6th. We would get there sometime early afternoon. If anyone would be willing to re-locate my car to Dick's Creek Gap, PM me and let's try to work out details.
Leave your car at Hiawassee Budget Inn and get Gene Roll to shuttle you to the other end.