PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta accommodation

julianhiking
01-25-2012, 12:28
Hey there,

I'm from Germany and will walk the AT this year. I'm going to spend one day in Atlanta to get a cell phone plan, food and other things before being picked up by the hiker hostel.
I will arrive quite late (around 7 pm) and I will have a jet leg. So I'm searching for a accommodation (hostel, bed and breakfast, couchsurfing, etc) which is not expensive and easy to find from Atlanta international airport. Using MARTA is not a problem I just don't want to change and walk much.
Does anyone have a good tip?

Thanks

MkBibble
01-25-2012, 13:24
I'm not from Atlanta; somebody else might be able to give you better advice. I have visited the area around the Civic Center and Peachtree several times. You could ride MARTA from the airport to Peachtree Street. There are LOTS of hotels around there, but they might not be very inexpensive. You could then continue north to the North Springs station the next day. Good luck!

strollingalong
01-25-2012, 15:29
http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Atlanta/ChosenCountry.USA

I (http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Atlanta/ChosenCountry.USA)'ll be staying for a day or two in early April in one of these. Not sure which yet

Maren
01-25-2012, 16:11
You could try couchsurfing: http://www.couchsurfing.org/search/in/city/3383794/mode/L

DarthTornado
01-26-2012, 17:00
I live in Atlanta, happy to help in any way I can. E mail me. Let me know.

Horsa
01-30-2012, 10:42
Let me know if you found a good spot. I basically have the same problem. (Germany => Atlanta ; Cell Phone etc.)

Jeffrey Scott Wise
01-30-2012, 13:59
If I were you two. Getting in late to Atlanta Id stay at the airport that night and travel in the morning. There are millions of phone places between the airport and Amicalola lodge. Theres a number of AT thru hiker shuttles as well from the airport. If traveling on the weekend I might be able to help give a ride.

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2012, 15:14
Airbnb.com (http://www.airbnb.com) can also help with this sort of thing--narrow your search to "Private rooms" or "Shared rooms" and pay something like $20 or $25 per night.

rockerZ71
01-31-2012, 12:00
I live north of Atlanta (Lawrenceville), and would be happy to help if I'm available on the date you are traveling

BlakeGrice
01-31-2012, 22:48
I live outside Atl and there are several inexpensive hotels right at the airport. They will come pick you up. There are phone banks down near baggage claim. Atlanta is the busiest airport in the country there are a ton of hotels

rockerZ71
02-01-2012, 08:19
As for the cell phone plan, I recommend the straight talk phones from Walmart. I'm not sure about up north along the AT, but I know that at my deer camp in NE georgia my friend who has one is the only one of us who gets service, and its probably one of the cheapest plans out there.

LittleBearK
02-14-2012, 11:42
Well, short story is the person that offered to buy me a flight, screwed up and took their sweet time getting me the information. Now the hiker hostel is booked on March 14th, anyone have ideas on options? I am going to need to buy fuel and I get into the airport around 3pm. Need a shuttle and a place to stay, or maybe I should hike in to len foote in the dark. Thoughts? HELP!

doritotex
02-14-2012, 12:48
Well, short story is the person that offered to buy me a flight, screwed up and took their sweet time getting me the information. Now the hiker hostel is booked on March 14th, anyone have ideas on options? I am going to need to buy fuel and I get into the airport around 3pm. Need a shuttle and a place to stay, or maybe I should hike in to len foote in the dark. Thoughts? HELP!Next time, pay for your own plane ticket and make your own arrangements and you won't have to blame anyone for "screwing up"!! Damn that person who spent several hundred dollars on your plane ticket...he ruined your hike!! Is your mother going with you, so she can hold your hand the entire 2180 miles?

LittleBearK
02-14-2012, 13:03
really? way to ruin a forum that is meant to be a help. Not only do you not know the details, but, it is none of your business. Rather than wasting my time and yours chastising someone you don't know. Why not suggest options, or rather, if you can't say anything nice or helpful, don't say anything at all. Apparently, you should have a conversation with your mother, because they did not raise you well.

julianhiking
02-14-2012, 15:22
Thanks for your suggestions everyone - does anyone have a tip for a specific location he/she stayed at and was pleased with it?
Its not easy to find a good place to stay if you can not visit it or know anyone who has been there - I'm not fond of these hotel-rating-websides and I need to give the address of my first place to stay before I enter the USA.
I would be very glad if someone is able to help me with this.

@LittleBearK:
If you are talking about the hiker hostel - and I don't think you are - they are offering shuttle and alcohol. I'm sorry I did not fully understand what you are asking for - what is your traveling plan? Do you want to spend a night in Atlanta or travel right on to your hostel?

LittleBearK
02-14-2012, 16:53
Thanks Julianhiking, I was talking about the Hiker hostel, do they offer just shuttle services? They are all booked when I am flying in and I am just thinking of starting at night and tenting, but still need a shuttle from the airport to the trail head.

I did email them though and found other shuttle services, rather than change the flight, since that usually causes extra fees. Found another thread on here with helpful information. Thank you though!

LittleBearK
02-14-2012, 16:53
and best of luck on your hike!

julianhiking
02-14-2012, 17:17
same to you!

I don't know whether the hiker hostel offers a shuttle service without a stay. Nevertheless I would try to spend a night in Atlanta or some other hostel in order not to start stressed.
There is a list of shuttle services made by the ATC: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-web-1-30-2012.pdf -> there are quite a lot of them so I think you will be able to get a shuttle.

See you on the trail! (I'll be hitting trailhead just a few days after you will)

mgeiger
02-14-2012, 17:32
I recently called and asked. No shuttle services unless you stay.

LittleBearK
02-14-2012, 18:21
I recently called and asked. No shuttle services unless you stay.

thank you, you both and Julian are so helpful.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
02-14-2012, 20:42
Whats your stay looking like date wise?

FatMan
02-15-2012, 11:16
Well, short story is the person that offered to buy me a flight, screwed up and took their sweet time getting me the information. Now the hiker hostel is booked on March 14th, anyone have ideas on options? I am going to need to buy fuel and I get into the airport around 3pm. Need a shuttle and a place to stay, or maybe I should hike in to len foote in the dark. Thoughts? HELP!If your flight is scheduled to arrive at 3 pm you should get a hotel near the airport for the night and then arrange for a shuttle the next day. First, planes don't arrive on time in Atlanta and second the time it will take to get your baggage and get out of the airport will be as long as the airports official name...Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

I live in Atlanta and Suches and frequently travel between the two. If you can't find any help send me a pm and if the timing works I can help you out.