PDA

View Full Version : opinions about Maine

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 12:17
How difficult is the AT in Maine? I know it's probably the most difficult of the states, but are there sections that would be considered better than others for novice hikers? I had read that Bigelow Preserve is moderate and spots to the north are fairly easy. I am in pretty good shape, but never done an overnight before. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I should also add that I was thinking about going 4-5 nights, or maybe 30-40 miles.

Tim Rich
03-16-2005, 12:28
How difficult is the AT in Maine? I know it's probably the most difficult of the states, but are there sections that would be considered better than others for novice hikers? I had read that Bigelow Preserve is moderate and spots to the north are fairly easy. I am in pretty good shape, but never done an overnight before. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I think Western Maine is the longest most difficult section, then the Whites and then some short stretches in NC. If you haven't overnighted before, I'd recommend doing so on an easier stretch of trail, perhaps near you in PA. Once you're familiar with what's involved with an overnight or several day trip, then you'll be in a position to enjoy more challenging terrain.

weary
03-16-2005, 12:39
How difficult is the AT in Maine? I know it's probably the most difficult of the states, but are there sections that would be considered better than others for novice hikers? I had read that Bigelow Preserve is moderate and spots to the north are fairly easy. I am in pretty good shape, but never done an overnight before. Any help would be great. Thanks. I should also add that I was thinking about going 4-5 nights, or maybe 30-40 miles.
Maine is remote and wild, but none of the trail in Maine is particularly difficult.
A very moderate three or four day hike would be Route 4, south of Saddleback, to Route 27. That takes you over the spectacular Saddleback range. On the east is the portion of the mountain our land trust has bought and is now trying to pay for. A bit further north is a side trail to the incredibly beautiful Abraham ridge line, also purchased by the land trust, but the mortgage remains unpaid.

The last mountains you will cross are the crockers, where across the valley to the west is the site of a planned giant array of wind turbines. It's an incredibly beautiful area that should be seen before it's damaged by development, though we are working on providing permanent protection.

The bigelow Preserve north of Route 27 is also great, but tends to be more crowded.

Or just start at Monson and work north to Gulf Hagas or maybe the Jo Mary lake road.

Maine has almost no loop trail systems, but shuttles are available. For southern areas call The Cabin 207 392-1333. From Monson Keith Shaw Jr. will provide. I don't have a phone listing, but a Google search will find him.

Other shuttles are available. I only mention those I'm familiar with.

WEary www.matlt.org

attroll
03-16-2005, 13:08
If you have never done any overnight backpacking before I would not tackle something like Weary said from Route 4 to Route 27. I don't know if I would call that moderate. I would recommend Caratunk to Monson. That is about 35 or so miles and it is easy hiking with two small mountains to climb that are very easy and the terain is all flat hiking pretty much.

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 13:15
Thanks for the info. I've read that The Crockers are pretty tough.

How about the section from Horn's Pond to Pleasant Pond? I like the idea of going through areas with bodies of water, which is why I like the Flagstaff Lake area.

I'd definitely be interested in a moderate couple of days; I don't mind climbing mountain sides, but probably wouldn't be able to do it for 8 hours a day.

The trip is slated for later this summer, so I've got some months to get in shape, plus go on some quick overnights near me.

attroll
03-16-2005, 13:24
From Horns pond to Pleasant pond is a good hike to. But in order to get to Horns pond you will have to climb the Bigelows. That is 4,088 foot mountain. That would be a butt kicker the first day out. It is a very good hike though. The views at the top of Avery Peak are breath taking.

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 13:25
attroll, saw your post after I posted. Pretty similar to what I was thinking, but glad to hear it from someone else.

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 13:29
From Horns pond to Pleasant pond is a good hike to. But in order to get to Horns pond you will have to climb the Bigelows. That is 4,088 foot mountain. That would be a butt kicker the first day out. It is a very good hike though. The views at the top of Avery Peak are breath taking.
Ok, well then I think I'll skip the Bigelows. ;) Maybe I'll start after Kenebec and go north about 35-40 miles. That seems like a good hike.

tlbj6142
03-16-2005, 13:41
I did a trip from RT4 to East Flagstaff Rd this past September. Here is the trip report. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5754)

The terrain wasn't all that bad if all you want to do is 7-10 miles per day. But there are some steep sections, exposed sections and rocky sections. However, if the weather is great (which it was on my trip), the rewards (views, sun, etc.) are amazing.

Note: I skipped the Crockers (everyone told me that "they were not worth it") and instead spent the night at the Sugarloaf gondola building and hiked down Surgarloaf ski slops (it was harder than it looks), hitched to the RT27 parking lot and continued my trip.

Shuttles can be found from several sources in the area and hitching was quite easy.

Buddies who went with me on the same trip, but took a different route (Caratunk to RT27) said the route from Caratunk to the Bigelows was quite easy, though the pathway was muddy and covered in roots (slowing progress a bit). They enjoyed the Bigelow portion of their hike the most.

I was there over Labor Day weekend, and the biggest "crowds" (mostly French Canadians) were found from RT27 to Horns Pond. As there are several day hike loops possible and to make mater worst, backpacking magazine just "published" a day hike loop for the Bigelows the month before my trip.

One more thing, buy the ME 2004 (make sure you get the 2004 version) MATC Trail Guide and Maps. It is a truly amazing piece of work. Its worth buying even if you never plan to hike in ME just for bathroom reading material.:D

MileMonster
03-16-2005, 13:49
The northern part of the 'Hundred Mile Wilderness is pretty mellow, too. North of White Cap it's truckin' time and the Trail passes by lakes for many miles. You could go south from Abol Bridge, but you might have to do an "out-and-back." I'm not sure how you could work a car/shuttle for a one-way hike.

Just another idea...

Doc
03-16-2005, 14:14
Don't let all these comments scare you too badly. We in Maine like to imagine that our trails are the roughest, baddest ones on the whole AT. It helps our self concept when we hike here and get tired and discouraged. We simply say that it was because of the tough trails and that if we were in some place like Massachusetts we would have no problem. If you are reasonable in the distance that you expect to go you can have a very enjoyable time, even by doing some significant elevation climbs. If you would like to do what Milemonster suggests, one possibility is to fly. Yup, fly. Before you get to Abol bridge on the road out of Millinockett you will go by a flying service that can fly you in to Crawford Pond. This is right on the AT allowing you to hike back to Abol and hitch back to your car at the flying service. Other places like Rainbow Lake can also be done in this fashion. Even though we like out-of-staters to leave lots of money when they come here, float planes are really not that expensive.

Doc

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 14:27
Hey Doc. Thanks for the post. Great info. :)

Can I ask what an "out-and-back" is?

Doc
03-16-2005, 14:42
I was tempted to make up something that would seem like one of those quaint regional expressions that Maine is famous for. It really means starting a hike at point A and going in to point B, then returning to point A where your car is located. I do this when I maintain Leeman Brook Leanto. I start at highway 15 and hike in to the LT where I do some chores, eat lunch, throw sticks for my dog, and generally enjoy being in the Maine woods. I then hike back the same way to my car, hence in and out.

Doc

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2005, 14:55
Hi Janey,
I'd like you to think about Baxter State Park. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com) You'll need to plan reservations, as they are taking mid-July now. Get a reservation at the walk-in sites (lean-tos, tent pads, privy) at Katahdin Stream Campground. Park outside the Park (safe & free) at Abol Bridge, backpack southbound on the AT to Hurd Brook Lean-to for night one. Back out past the store and your car and take the new Blueberry Ledges trail past the Birches to Katahdin Stream Campground day two (about ten fairly flat miles total). The next two days decide which will be a zero and which will be a summit day depending on the weather and your legs. Climb Katahdin with a loaner daypack on day three or four, a 10.4 mile round trip. On the 'zero' explore the loop trails to Grassy and Lost ponds, check out the library and classic view at Daicey Pond. Hike southbound on the AT out of the park past pretty moose ponds, past waterfalls, and along the banks of a beautiful river. I know it's not exactly what you were thinking about, but I bet you'd really enjoy a trip like this.

TJ aka Teej
03-16-2005, 14:57
Can I ask what an "out-and-back" is?
I call them "there and back agains" :D

tlbj6142
03-16-2005, 15:04
I call them "there and back agains" :DDidn't a Hobbit write that book? BTW, Hobbits to seem to have existed just a few thousand years ago. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1222_041222_flores_travel_hobbit.html)

Crazy Janey
03-16-2005, 15:34
Hi Janey,
I'd like you to think about Baxter State Park. www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/) You'll need to plan reservations, as they are taking mid-July now. Get a reservation at the walk-in sites (lean-tos, tent pads, privy) at Katahdin Stream Campground. Park outside the Park (safe & free) at Abol Bridge, backpack southbound on the AT to Hurd Brook Lean-to for night one. Back out past the store and your car and take the new Blueberry Ledges trail past the Birches to Katahdin Stream Campground day two (about ten fairly flat miles total). The next two days decide which will be a zero and which will be a summit day depending on the weather and your legs. Climb Katahdin with a loaner daypack on day three or four, a 10.4 mile round trip. On the 'zero' explore the loop trails to Grassy and Lost ponds, check out the library and classic view at Daicey Pond. Hike southbound on the AT out of the park past pretty moose ponds, past waterfalls, and along the banks of a beautiful river. I know it's not exactly what you were thinking about, but I bet you'd really enjoy a trip like this.
Thanks for the suggestion Teej. This sounds phenominal. I was putting Katahdin out of my mind because I know I'm not ready for that incline. But having seen pictures and your decription here, has made me really yearn for the view. I know for a fact, I'd really LOVE a trip like that.

And Doc, thanks for the decription of an out and back. I would have been okay with a quaint Maine expression. I hope to one day call myself a Mainer.... er, someone who uses quaint Maine expressions. ;)

Kozmic Zian
03-16-2005, 16:22
Yea.....Hobbit. They recently found a skeletal remains of a creature they dubbed a 'Hobbit'. Very small and interesting. Not sure how old it is. Maybe someone else could thro some light on the subject.KZ@:confused:

attroll
03-17-2005, 01:55
MileMonster also has a very good suggestion. But I did not mention this because I did not know how much effort you want to put into your arrangements ahead of time. You could do the hike from Abol Bridge to Jo-Mary Road or do it from Jo-Mary Road to Abol Bridge. This is 40.9 miles. But you would have to make arrangements to have a car waiting there when you got to your destination or have someone there to pick you up. I have done this hike before and had my car parked ahead of time at the Jo-Mary Road crossing and had someone drop me off at Abol Bridge. This is a very easy hike. There is only one very small mountain to climb (about 1,500 feet). I did this hike in 4 days easily. I could have done it faster but my hiking partner was not doing to well the first two days, but that is a whole different story.

weary
03-17-2005, 09:46
I skipped the Crockers (everyone told me that "they were not worth it"
The Crockers don't have many great views, but they are beautiful mountains. The trail skirts an ancient beaver flowage, through a birch forest, and up a long ridge and a nice wild forest. There are more to trails than views.

Weary

MOWGLI
03-17-2005, 10:48

I should also add that I was thinking about going 4-5 nights, or maybe 30-40 miles.

Hey Crazey Janey, is your Mission Man joing you on your hike? :D

I live in Tennessee and my work focuses on the Southern Appalachians. Having said that, I'm taking my 15 y.o. daughter on her first backpacking trip this summer to.... Maine! It's a helluva long ride, but Maine is my favorite state along the AT, and the section from Stratton to Monson is my favorite section. The Bigelows, blueberries, moose, loons, great fishing, and crystaline ponds to swim in. It just doesn't get any better!

We'll be out there in August. Maybe we'll bump into you.

Happy Trails.

Crazy Janey
03-17-2005, 14:06
Hey Crazey Janey, is your Mission Man joing you on your hike? :D

I live in Tennessee and my work focuses on the Southern Appalachians. Having said that, I'm taking my 15 y.o. daughter on her first backpacking trip this summer to.... Maine! It's a helluva long ride, but Maine is my favorite state along the AT, and the section from Stratton to Monson is my favorite section. The Bigelows, blueberries, moose, loons, great fishing, and crystaline ponds to swim in. It just doesn't get any better!

We'll be out there in August. Maybe we'll bump into you.

Happy Trails.Yep, Mission Man is going; as is Wild Billy, his friend G-Man, Hazy Davy and Killer Joe. ;)

I'm pretty much torn between your favorite section, Stratton to Monson; or Abol Bridge to Jo Mary Road. Both seem great, but I guess it's just a matter of what section would be better for first-time overnighters. Although, by the time we go, we won't be first timers.
Thanks for the post. :)

MOWGLI
03-17-2005, 18:42
I'm pretty much torn between your favorite section, Stratton to Monson; or Abol Bridge to Jo Mary Road. Both seem great, but I guess it's just a matter of what section would be better for first-time overnighters. Although, by the time we go, we won't be first timers.
Thanks for the post. :)

Caratunk to Monson would be sweet. Right about the 30 or so miles (plus a few) you were looking to hike when you started this thread. That would skip the Bigelows however. The Bigelows are beautiful, but might present a challenge for a newbie. Don't let that deter you though. Challenge is what it's all about - right?