PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 62

Feral Bill
01-25-2012, 17:37
It (http://www.rei.com/product/827063/rei-flash-62-pack-mens) and the womens version are back in a new incarnation. I have not seen one yet but they may be of interest to those who don't require cottage maker's gear.

NotYet
01-25-2012, 19:22
I've been really happy with my Women's Flash 65 (in fact I've been thinking it's the best pack I've ever had). Just looking at the picture of the re-design has me realizing they've removed some of my favorite features, and added some that I don't like (plus they don't have a 62 in women's)... I should wait to withhold judgement until I see it in the store...but...I'm a little bummed.

Bucho
01-26-2012, 01:15
I saw a number of rei flash packs break on the AT this last year including my girlfriends womans flash 50. Her packs frame consisted of two stays in cloth pouches that were attached to a plastic sheet. I could see this design working just fine if the stays had a rectangular cross section so that their shape made them stable or they could join the stays at on end making that U we see so often. The problem was that they didn't do either of these things. The stays had a round cross section and nothing that really hindered them from rotating in their pockets.

As such they started out bent in an ergonomic shape but once they rotated that bend caused them to be anti-ergonomic. So while she was well within the weight limit when her pack was working properly, once it went all wonky I suspect that put extra stress on the packet holding the whole frame assembly because the pocket blew right out.

double d
01-26-2012, 11:10
The new REI Flash is also about $40 bucks more then the "older" model, which is only from a few years ago. I also don't like the new color, but thats just me. I will say this, the Flash 65 is a great backpack and its the best I've owned, highly recommend the first model of the Flash.

tuswm
01-26-2012, 15:26
I saw a number of rei flash packs break on the AT this last year including my girlfriends womans flash 50. Her packs frame consisted of two stays in cloth pouches that were attached to a plastic sheet. I could see this design working just fine if the stays had a rectangular cross section so that their shape made them stable or they could join the stays at on end making that U we see so often. The problem was that they didn't do either of these things. The stays had a round cross section and nothing that really hindered them from rotating in their pockets.

As such they started out bent in an ergonomic shape but once they rotated that bend caused them to be anti-ergonomic. So while she was well within the weight limit when her pack was working properly, once it went all wonky I suspect that put extra stress on the packet holding the whole frame assembly because the pocket blew right out.

My GF has to get a new pack spur of the moment when her old one died right before the JMT. she got last summers model. it had tubular but flat frames. at least 4 times as wide as it was thick. they could not rotate in the pouch. what year was your GF's

Bucho
01-26-2012, 15:31
We did all our shopping for the AT in 2010, I don't remember exactly when during that year she got the pack but I'm glad to hear that it's since been fixed.

scum
02-03-2012, 21:22
Anyone tried this new Flash 62 out yet? Was planning on getting the old 65 but missed the boat unless I go used. I noticed the details don't mention you can remove the support and strip this down for an even lighter pack. Is that an oversight in the comments, or is this feature gone?

lush242000
02-03-2012, 21:26
You can pick up the flash 65 on the rei outlet site for cheap.

Damaged
02-03-2012, 22:24
You didn't miss the boat and the price is very good too. http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?query=flash+pack

Anyone tried this new Flash 62 out yet? Was planning on getting the old 65 but missed the boat unless I go used. I noticed the details don't mention you can remove the support and strip this down for an even lighter pack. Is that an oversight in the comments, or is this feature gone?

tuswm
02-04-2012, 11:14
Great price!