PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian April 7th?

tenn_hiker
01-25-2012, 19:52
Hey, it's time to start planning my section hike this year! i will be starting from Rock Gap, where i left off last year. It is just past standing Indian mountain. Basically my only question is, is anybody going to be in that area around that time? I'm guessing there is going to be some starting thru hikers..? i hope so.. i met quite a few awesome people last year on my trip from springer to rock gap. i loved my hike last year, i just wanted to keep walking, but sadly i had to go back to school. Any way... is anyone going to be in the area and does any know of any must see spots or camp sites i should stay at/avoid? I greatly appreciate any help!
Thanks, Th

Papa D
01-25-2012, 20:43
Just so you know, Rock Gap Shelter is about 20 miles north of Standing Indian Mountain (where the Standing Indian Shelter is) - it is just a stones throw from the "Standing Indian Campground" - but not to be confused with the mountain. So you know, the trail makes a big loop to the east as it hits NC and is just returning to it's Northern trajectory when you get to Rock Gap Shelter. I would suggest avoiding Rock Gap shelter by the way - it's close to the road and attracts "non-hikers." Are you going south or north - I would suggest that you will be right smack in the middle of a bunch of thru-hikers - shelters are likely to be crowded and lots of the obvious tent sites might be taken. I know that you want to start where you left off, but since you are section hiking (if you don't mind traveling) going north - (maybe to VA?) would get you ahead of the crowds - just an idea. Enjoy your hike.

tenn_hiker
01-25-2012, 22:57
Hmm.. you have a very good point.. i don't want to be completely alone. I want to meet people, but at the same time i don't want it to be really crowded. maybe i'll look into going to VA. Any suggestions on where to start and end in Virginia? i'm gonna have between 7 and 9 days. And also is rock gap shelter before or after the trail goes by the road at rock gap? I remember passing a shelter right before we got to rock gap so i'm assuming that's rock gap shelter? haha. Thanks for your help.

Papa D
01-25-2012, 23:10
Hmm.. you have a very good point.. i don't want to be completely alone. I want to meet people, but at the same time i don't want it to be really crowded. maybe i'll look into going to VA. Any suggestions on where to start and end in Virginia? i'm gonna have between 7 and 9 days. And also is rock gap shelter before or after the trail goes by the road at rock gap? I remember passing a shelter right before we got to rock gap so i'm assuming that's rock gap shelter? haha. Thanks for your help.

Well VA is a big state for the AT, the biggest as a matter of fact. Since you live in TN, I'll suggest something close to you but there is a lot:

How about starting in Hampton TN (US321) and hike to Troutdale, VA (VA 16) - total of 91 miles - assuming you hike for 7 solid days - this is 13 miles a day - should be a spirited but doable pace for someone in decent shape looking to get it done. you get one of the best trail towns of all at your halfway point of Damascus VA plus the very very pretty Grayson Highlands area. Don't miss Quincey's Pizza in Damascus and Thomas Knob Shelter near Mt. Rogers. Call Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and tell them of your plans - they can probably help with a shuttle. You'll still be around some of the faster thru-hikers but it shouldn't be crazy-crowded.

Enjoy!

tenn_hiker
01-26-2012, 00:48
Sweet, i'll defiantly think about that! Thanks!