PDA

View Full Version : Girl survives rabies

walkin' wally
03-16-2005, 13:29
I don't have all the details on this as I caught only the end of the news clip but it seems a high school aged girl was bitten by a bat at her home and contracted rabies. She had a small wound on her finger that healed okay but some days later she came down with rabies. She was treated at a hospital and kept in an induced coma for 72 days while the doctors tried to save her. The newscaster said that she is the only person in the world who has survived rabies without the benefit of vaccine. ( his statement not mine ) She is now facing a long period of rehab to help her regain her motor coordination.

jlb2012
03-16-2005, 14:04
link to story : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6780216/

orangebug
03-16-2005, 22:56
Time will tell if survival was worth it.

In other parts of the world, potential rabies victims are placed in cells enclosed by high walls. Food and water are thrown to them. If they are alive in two weeks, they are released. Otherwise, the remains are removed several months later.

Humans with rabies are as infectious as other animals. They were brave and skillful medical and nursing staffs for this patient.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2005, 23:24
I would think the medical staff caring for this patient eithier recieved rabies vaccine before hand or knew that it was readily available if needed.