PDA

View Full Version : Aether 70 vs. Aether 60

beanburito60
01-26-2012, 01:22
Hi all. I have been looking at backpacks and thought I had my mind set on a large osprey aether 60 pack, but then discovered that the aether 60 and aether 70 have virtually identical weight (5lbs 1oz vs 5lbs 2oz). So my questions are:

1: Has anyone personally weighed thelarge aether 60 and large aether 70 pack? It seems that one is either over stated or under stated. It doesn’t seem reasonable that there is only one ounce difference between the packs that have roughly 500 cu. In. difference between them.

2: If there is only one ounce difference, I am thinking about just getting the aether 70. My question is, if I plan on carrying about 30 lbs, will the aether 70 carry a 25-30 lb load as well as the 60? I will be using the pack for Big Bend this fall, and for backpacking/fly fishing trips in the Smokies. I would like to go backpacking in the pacific northwest, but that’s likely at least a year or two away. I mention this because I like the flexibility that the aether 70 offers due to its size.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give! :banana

ekeverette
01-26-2012, 08:46
i've got a aethers 70.. and it carries 35 lbs very comfortable.... mine weighs 5 lbs... i like mine, it's what i will be using on my north bound hike in april.

Papa D
01-26-2012, 08:57
The 70 is my winter pack - zero deg. down bag, down jacket, extra fuel, etc. - for a NOBO thru hike, try to get your gear pared down so it fits easily in the 60 (or even the 55) - you'll be much happier and probably just as complete with about 29 pounds (total, inc. food and water) on your back.

mmorgan
01-26-2012, 09:02
Some of the best advice I ever got was on this subject. If you get the bigger pack you will just find more stuff to pack in it. Go smaller, the 65 is fine and will force you to take a good hard look at each item you are carrying.

Cuffs
01-26-2012, 10:03
I suggest the smaller volume pack.

My question to you is why a large?

Having fitted hikers for years, very few actually wear a large. Most are mediums. I would even venture to say the second most popular by size/fit is small. This is a specific length between two points on your neck and hips. It has nothing to do with your overall height or waist size.

Get fitted! If your pack doesn't fit properly you won't want to wear it.

beanburito60
01-26-2012, 14:01
I suggest the smaller volume pack.

My question to you is why a large?

Having fitted hikers for years, very few actually wear a large. Most are mediums. I would even venture to say the second most popular by size/fit is small. This is a specific length between two points on your neck and hips. It has nothing to do with your overall height or waist size.

Get fitted! If your pack doesn't fit properly you won't want to wear it.

The reason why I would want a larger pack is soley for flexibility purposes. My line of thinking is if the aether 70 is only one ounce more, I do not mind the extra ounce or two as long as it carries smaller loads as well as the aether 60 because it gives me more flexibility as far as what type of trips I can take the backpack on. I was originally not looking at a pack this large but due to the negligible weight differences between the two packs, I reconsidered.

As far as why a large, well I am 6'1 200 with a 35 in. waste so I just assumed that to be the best size according to Osprey's size recommendations. I just recently moved to Dallas and did not have an REI where I used to live, so I have not physically tried the aether yet.

Cuffs
01-26-2012, 14:07
No no no! Your weight/height has ZERO to do with the size of the pack. ie: I'm 5'7", most of my clothes are a large, some XL. I wear a small torso length pack.

Pack sizing, S, M, L is NOT small, medium, large. It's short, medium, long. Find an outfitter. Get properly sized.

I suggest the 60L over the 70L for the same reasons someone else stated, you'll feel the urge to fill it.

Alligator
01-26-2012, 15:07
Certainly get measured so you have the torso measurement. Some packs do have a little overlap in the torso measurements and the buyer may then need to consider waist size. Large hipbelts sometimes are made for 34+". Probably not an issue for the OP.

I have an aether 60 and for me it has worked will for 3 season use, some winter use depending on the temperature. What kind of sleeping bag? You most likely wouldn't need the 70 with a down bag. How long are your trips usually? You could go longer without resupply with the 70 but may not need to do that if you tend to do more weekends.

jtbradyl
01-26-2012, 18:29
If you are hiking and being on the go most of the time except for sleeping then going light is the way to go. A smaller lighter pack will fill your needs. However if distination hiking, where you'll be camping out, you'll need a pack large enough to carry whatever you think you'll need. You won't want to find yourself inconvenienced by let's say not having the right fly available.

jjimen16
01-26-2012, 23:46
Buying a pack is probably the last thing you should buy, as far as gear is concerned.... If you have your specific gear (sleeping bag, pad, tent, etc.) that you will be using with your pack, it is better to see how it will fit you personally.

Also, if you are able to go to an outfitter, they can usually let you try on a pack, and they load it up nicely with 20-35lb and let you walk around with it to see how it feels.

I have an aether 60 and I think the size it PLENTY big enough. On one trip to the Grand Canyon, to get my fiance into backpacking I held all of my gear, and most of hers (two water bladders, thermarests, food for two 3 days, 3P tent) while she hiked with a day pack. (Yes, it kinda sucked, but I was able to manage to fit that much into a 60). You will want all of your gear to fit in the pack nicely anyways, and not be loose and move around as you hike.

Again though, it just all depends on what gear you have and what you will use it for. You could have a tiny tarp, a neo air, and a very packable down bag which take up No room, or you might have a more bulky synthetic bag, 3P tent etc... Honestly, you might be better off getting two different packs, one for extended backpacking trips, and the other for fishing trips or whatever you will need it for. Its like it wouldnt be a good idea to buy a mountaineering pack because you will eventually need it, but use it for overnighters in the meantime.

But anyways, I think the 60 is perfect size for almost anything, but get what actually feel most comfortable on your back for you. aether are great backs.

I hope this helped a little.

q-tip
01-26-2012, 23:58
Take a look at the Granite Gear Crown 60--just introduced. 60L, 2.2 Lbs, I used the GG Vapor Trail on my 1,000 hike, and I am replacing it with the
crown for my Colorado Trail hike in July-2012. This is a great pack and you will save 3lbs lbs. Just a thought...

Berserker
01-27-2012, 14:26
1: Has anyone personally weighed thelarge aether 60 and large aether 70 pack? It seems that one is either over stated or under stated. It doesn’t seem reasonable that there is only one ounce difference between the packs that have roughly 500 cu. In. difference between them.
I don't have much pertinent info on this other than to say "Holy crap"! I have an Aether 60 I purchased somewhere around 2004, and it weighs 3 lbs 12 oz (large size). What in the heck has Osprey done with the Aether series? I thought those were supposed to be light weight packs?

At any rate all rhetorical questions aside, I have 2 Osprey packs and they're really nice decent quality packs. I have personally transitioned to other packs due to the weight of the Ospreys.

Senor Jalapeno
01-27-2012, 14:40
I dont suggest either. I carried the an Aether last year, and though my pack was from 2006, it was closer to 7 lbs pack only. Why carry such a heavy pack if your only planning on carrying 35 lbs? go with either the Osprey Atmos or Osprey exos. Both are lighter and fit and carry weight better than the Aether. I carrying an Exos this year. Ive already taking it on two short trips, (both were all up hill) and it was the most comfortable pack ive ever carried.

marty1983
01-28-2012, 06:43
I went with the large Aether 70 and I have plenty of extra room. I went with a large because I have a longer torso than most people my height. Also, seriously consider switching the hip belt to the Osprey BioForm belt. And do not let the dealer custom mold it to your body. As you hike it will form just fine and will allow for your hips to naturally form it after you have been hiking and losing some weight (if you have some weight to lose). This hip belt is much more comfortable in my opinion and it seems to carry the load better making the pack feel lighter. Hope this helps...have a great hike!

http://www.rei.com/product/764283/osprey-bioform-cm-ax-hipbelt

Stats 2012
01-28-2012, 07:11
Bean, I agree with your logic: if the big pack is about the same weight, why not? The argument that you'll just fill the space with unnecessary stuff is only true if one can't control the urge to overpack. Personally, I'm of the opinion that humans are intelligent creatures and can control the urge to fill a pack if they are aware of the "dangers"of overpacking. I don't have the money to buy a pack for every occasion, so mine is on the large side because often I have to carry extra gear when the family goes backpacking (my kids are young and wife has a bad back). Also, sometimes the extra space is handy and alleviates the need to pack super efficiently every time the pack is unloaded. But what do I know? I use an external frame pack!

GolfHiker
02-04-2012, 20:19
Bean, this could be your lucky day. I have a perfectly good, but used, Osprey 60, appox. 6-7 years old, but not in use for the past 5 years. I just made the decision to sell some of my older gear, saw your post and wanted to offer this pack to you if you were interested in a used aether. It's absolutely in great condition ( these packs wear like iron). I did remove the ice axe loops, otherwise all in tact. I know the new ones are pretty pricey, so make me a fair offer and we'll see what can be done. No pressure, I'll find someone, just thought you may wish to consider.

NotYet
02-04-2012, 22:39
Bean, I agree with your logic: if the big pack is about the same weight, why not? The argument that you'll just fill the space with unnecessary stuff is only true if one can't control the urge to overpack. Personally, I'm of the opinion that humans are intelligent creatures and can control the urge to fill a pack if they are aware of the "dangers"of overpacking. I don't have the money to buy a pack for every occasion, so mine is on the large side because often I have to carry extra gear when the family goes backpacking (my kids are young and wife has a bad back). Also, sometimes the extra space is handy and alleviates the need to pack super efficiently every time the pack is unloaded. But what do I know? I use an external frame pack!

I agree. If the packs weigh basically the same AND the larger volume pack is comfortable for you AND you have the ability to not over-pack, get the larger of the two if you want. This gives you the flexibility to do winter camping and to go longer stretches between re-supply points if you'd like. I don't fill my pack up with extra un-needed stuff just because there's space to do so...but it sure is great when I can fit my -20 bag, winter gear and extra food into my pack to head out in sub-freezing conditions! I often take my backpack on a day hikes, but I cinch it down so it rides well with little or nothing in it.