PDA

View Full Version : Pre-hike Insomnia

marty1983
01-26-2012, 07:36
Good morning fellow Whiteblazer's!
Okay, It's 5:25 AM and just like the last two months at this time of day, I find myself on Whiteblaze (along with Reddit of course) because I can't sleep!! I also notice several other people viewing different threads here on Whiteblaze this time of day and wonder if they are suffering from the same pre-hike insomnia as I am? I doubt it's actually Insomnia but rather a combination of emotions and thoughts running through my head as I prepare for the hike. Researching about the upcoming journey is way to stimulating before trying to get some sleep, especially since I can't seem to figure out how to turn down the brightness on my new computer; that along with checking for new blue on Reddit every 12 minutes.

Past hiker's, did you also experience this sort of anxiety before your hike and if so, how did you deal with it? If I keep this cycle up, I will be doing my hiking from 2 PM to 7 AM (at least I will not have to worry about getting shelter space and my snoring bothering anyone)!

Okay, going to try and get some sleep now. Goodnight fellow Whiteblazer's

JAK
01-26-2012, 08:21
It would be normal to be restless before such and endeavour, but not healthy to expend such restlessness on the internet. Put it to a different use, like going for a walk, even a short one, then if you still want to read or browse on the internet it might not be so bad. My 2 cents.

Chaco Taco
01-26-2012, 08:21
I partied my arse off before I left. I embraced my insomnia. Sleep won't be an issue on the trail. Usually it isn't the first couple of days. Just enjoy the ride and remember it all. Throw the "plan" out the window and just go with the flow. Its a fun ride from here on out. Ill probably be the same way in 5 months before my LT hike, may see ya'll in Vermont!

Chaco Taco
01-26-2012, 08:22
It would be normal to be restless before such and endeavour, but not healthy to expend such restlessness on the internet. Put it to a different use, like going for a walk, even a short one, then if you still want to read or browse on the internet it might not be so bad. My 2 cents.

He's 28, he is fine. He is just excited, not that big of a deal:rolleyes:

You should practice what you preach there JAK Mr 1,000,000 posts!

JAK
01-26-2012, 08:29
I wouldn't worry about doing a walk at night before your hike to adversely affect your routine once on the trail. You will sleep well on the trail also, because of all the walking. Probably better if you avoid shelters. Just saying you never want to feed a process addiction like late night tv channel checking or internet browsing. It will eat away at your motivation and resolve to perform real activity, like your hike. Even though hiking is addictive in its own right, it is of course better for you, and its more of a delayed gratification which is much more manageable. Hiking is like oatmeal. Process additions are like sugar, or crack. So eat your oatmeal and go for a walk, even if its 1am. ok 3 cents.

JAK
01-26-2012, 08:30
He's 28, he is fine. He is just excited, not that big of a deal:rolleyes:

You should practice what you preach there JAK Mr 1,000,000 posts!Exactly !
Do as I say. Not as I do. lol

Old Boots
01-26-2012, 09:34
I have been hiking 6-10 miles a day in preparation and have no difficulty getting 8 hours a night.

Transient Being
01-26-2012, 09:41
I heard, and agree, that hikers have trouble sleeping. Like marathoners. Overstimulated from all the exercise I suppose, but I know I never seem to sleep well while hiking, but I've never been over a week at a time. Hoping sleep comes easier the longer I stay out.

Rasty
01-26-2012, 10:48
The night before a hiking trip I never get more than a couple of hours of sleep. I will try for six hours but be wide awake at 3 am. I always catch up and find that I sleep more while hiking. Not much to do after dark in camp. Read for a hour then bw asleep by 9 pm and dont wake up until 5 or 6.

hambone5126
01-26-2012, 12:09
see ive been having trouble getting to sleep at night instead of getting up too early. whether im doing something like working on gear, or just rolling in bed thinking about planning, gear and this and that and the other thing.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2012, 13:10
> I also notice several other people viewing different threads here on Whiteblaze this time of day and wonder if they are suffering from the same pre-hike insomnia as I am?

Maybe, but more likely thier in a part of the world where it's a reasonable time of day - this is the internet and can be viewed from anywhere. :) As for the insomnia, go for a long walk and then have a hot toddy before going to bed...

bwendel07
01-26-2012, 15:20
I definately Am

moocow
01-26-2012, 15:25
i completely understand. i've been up since yesterday. all i did was roll around in bed all night. might have the same problem as you.

Maren
01-26-2012, 15:27
Right there with you!

marty1983
01-28-2012, 06:19
Glad to know I'm not alone! Good point also Slo-go'en, I didn't even think about other time zones. I have been up all night reading a book called 'Appalachian Trail- How to Prepare For & Hike It' by Jan D. Curran. Really good book and I recommend it for anyone planning a thru or section!

SCRUB HIKER
01-29-2012, 01:05
Yeah, it took me a long time to get to sleep right before the trail and for the first two or three weeks of hiking it. Too much to think about beforehand, and too much excitement once I was actually out there. Only once the novelty of long-distance hiking wore off did I start to sleep well, and then I slept like a rock most nights the rest of the way.

I think there's a divide between young and old with this. When I was at Neels Gap (i.e. 3 nights in), I noticed that most of the old guys were conked out by 7, even with lights on in the bunkroom. I tried to go to sleep at 9 with the lights off and it couldn't work, so I stayed up with a few other young people who were in the same boat for awhile. I was physically beat to sh1t just like everyone else but for awhile my brain just wouldn't shut off at the end of the day.

PinkRaven
01-29-2012, 01:33
If I keep this cycle up, I will be doing my hiking from 2 PM to 7 AM (at least I will not have to worry about getting shelter space and my snoring bothering anyone)!

Marty,

I think I might be on the same hiking schedule as you. My best headlamp requires that my battery is recharged in a wall plug. That puts a slight damper on my night hiking plans. I will use other headlamps, but I'll be sure to bring plenty of batteries.

PinkRaven

Ashman
01-29-2012, 09:44
I only do small section hikes. My longest has been a 60 miler. That said I am ALWAYS jacked the night before a hike. One time, I was supposed to meet my hiking partners at 5 AM to hit the road. I was up at 3! I got up, got my hiking clothes on, took the dogs for a 5 mile walk before heading off. I only get to the trail about 3 or 4 times a year, I just can't wait to get out there!