PDA

View Full Version : TO Drop or Not To Drop that is the question?

seasparrow
01-26-2012, 15:38
Mail drops! How many are you planning on sending?

My thoughts are you only send to places really starving for food such as Port Clinton PA, Bear Mountain NY, and Delaware Water Gap.

Grampie
01-26-2012, 18:11
Before you start planing mail drops for a thru-hike remember: 8 out of 10 hikers who start, won't finish. If you fall into the 80% group yu are doing a lot of unnecessory work.
The stuff that you think you will like to eat, won't be so very soon and you will be giving a lot of stuff away and buying new stuff to eat. Read the articles, on WhiteBlaze, about resupplying along the way.
All trail towns along the AT cater to hikers and have the kind of food they eat. You never have to go more than 4 to 6 days between resupply points. As your tast changes you can buy accordingly.
It's a big pain to be tied to a post office schedule. Don't become dependant on getting to a post office at a particular time. If you have special dietary needs, that's a different story. Happy trails to you. Enjoy your adventure.

5 group

Ender
01-26-2012, 18:17
I would use no mail drops, just a bounce box for items I want access to but don't need to carry or use all that often.

seasparrow
01-26-2012, 21:18
if you open a bounce you have to pay shipping again?

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2012, 21:20
if you open a bounce you have to pay shipping again?Read this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80398-Bounce-Box-Instructions

bamboo bob
01-26-2012, 21:44
I definitely agree with the above. PO drop boxes is a huge waste of effort. Waiting for thee PO bites. If you do send boxes send them to outfitters. Buy your food. The additional cost will pay for itself in saved postage but especially hassle.

Sandy of PA
01-26-2012, 22:38
Port Clinton, PA has a huge Walmart, and Cabella's runs a van to and from the hiker pavilion, no need for a mail drop there!

seasparrow
01-26-2012, 22:55
Sweet thanks,wally world rocks if your near one.I live 30 miles from any major store.Santee sc pop.850

jacquelineanngrant
02-04-2012, 14:51
Mail drops help you to know at least your basic food expenses up front. I've done it both ways and I find that sending the basics and then buying fresh when you can is the most cost effective for me personally.