PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Amicalola Falls

drgreenthumb
01-26-2012, 16:48
This may I'm planning a trip for 4 guys to hike the entire Georgia section of the AT May 11-21. I was debating taking a Greyhound bus to get there, but I feel that the 4 of us driving would just be a much better idea, we have eliminated flying due to $$ and its still going to take us a full day to get there and to the trail anyway. My question(s) are: Can i park in the Amicalola State park parking lot for 8 days or will my car get towed? Is it safe to leave my car there for that many days? What are other parking options if this is not possible?

jbwood5
01-26-2012, 17:36
Provided you pay the entrance fee and fill out a long term parking form you are fine there. I've done it many times. If the visitor center is open, go inside and fill it out and hand it to the ranger or worker at the desk. If it is after hours, fill out the one at kiosk across from the lot which is at the bottom of the hill. The trail starts behind the visitor center. Oh... they will want to know the dates that you are parking and will usually call the authorities if you are more than a week to 10 days late in retrieving your car.

Tinker
01-26-2012, 17:40
I left my car there for 11 days in 2006, doing just what you intend to do. I told the folks at the information center, I think I paid a small fee, and had no problem.

Call the park for updated details and charges.

Edit: JB Woods gave better information than I did. I just didn't read it first, and can't delete my post - as far as I know..................:confused:

OnlyJohn
01-26-2012, 17:41
You can absolutely park for eight days at Amicalola Falls. When you arrive at the gate, tell the person taking the entrance fee that you are going to the welcome center to register for long term hiker parking. They should let you in for free. When you pull through the gate, the welcome center is about fifty yards ahead on the right. Go inside and sign up with the ranger. They will give you a permit. Long term hiker parking is across the street from the welcome center. I find it is a good idea to add a day or so onto your permit just in case you get behind.

Good Luck.
Only John

drgreenthumb
01-26-2012, 17:54
excellent... next question. As stated our plan is to hike the entire GA section of the AT... how difficult will it be for us to get back to our car? and what are some options? I know i have asked this before, but cant find the thread i posted regarding it. Thanks for all your help!

fiddlehead
01-26-2012, 19:26
When I did it (left a car and hiked to Fontana), I hitchhiked back.
Took me about 5 hours and had to listen to a lot of Christian, Jesus talk.
Lot of die-hard religious people in that area.
But it was interesting.
I'm imagine you could pay for a shuttle out of Franklin if you had the extra money.

nitewalker
01-26-2012, 19:45
When I did it (left a car and hiked to Fontana), I hitchhiked back.
Took me about 5 hours and had to listen to a lot of Christian, Jesus talk.
Lot of die-hard religious people in that area.
But it was interesting.
I'm imagine you could pay for a shuttle out of Franklin if you had the extra money.

this is exactly what i did but with four people it could be tough. two guys can sit and wait while the other two guys hitch it back to the car...there were three of us, we got a room for the nite and got up in the morning and two of us hitched back to the car. the other guy waited at the motel till we got back. hiching is fun unless you get picked up by a 60ish yr old drunk. once we realized the guy was drunk we had him drop us off early. we eventually got another ride. we made it back safe n sound to the car and retrived our fellow hiking partner at the motel.....