PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Cascadia 6 review: major plug

protargol
01-26-2012, 17:27
I went through 3 pairs of trail runners on my SOBO thru. I started with La Sportiva Imogene, and they lasted 300 miles. I was able to pick up a pair of slightly used Montrail's (I believe that's the brand), from a consignment shop for $20 and they got me to close to the 1000 mile mark (Pine Grove, PA) so I ended up with 700 miles on them. However, I want to talk about my experiences with my third shoe, the Brooks Cascadia 6 that took me from Pine Grove to Springer (1181 miles).

I bought these when I took a side trip to visit my sister in NYC and she took me to her running store. I bought them on a whim, and afterwards felt silly for paying full price ($110). However I ended up getting much more than I expected out of them so now feel like they were worth every penny.

I got the green pair and used them in combination with the blue Superfeet insoles. I used the Superfeet in my other shoes and just moved them around. NOBOs had been warning me that PA was a graveyard for trail runners, so I wasn't expecting big miles out of them but was proven wrong. After the hike they are still in great shape, with minimum wear (shown below) and still have good tread on them. They went through multiple freeze/thaw cycles and were put through the paces in all types of terrain.

I can't speak highly enough about these shoes. I had no idea they'd last 1200 miles, and still have plenty of life left in them to boot! They're breathable, light, comfortable, and I got very few blisters with them even on very big mile days (upper 50s and mid 60s). If you're looking for a trail runners, I would highly recommend buying these shoes. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Overview of shoes after 1200 miles

Alternate overview

Tread condition after 1200 miles

Stitching coming apart

Stitching coming apart and sidewall rubber shedding

Tinker
01-26-2012, 17:44
They're not right for everyone. I guarantee it.
:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info, though. :)

protargol
01-26-2012, 18:04
They're not right for everyone. I guarantee it.

Nuh uh, everyone should be wearing these. People should give up their boots. HYOH is a big lie.

Just kidding. It's an opinion, but when I was starting my thru, I had no idea where to start when picking out my footwear so I hope that my experience can be useful for someone. I was surprised and impressed and wanted to share.

rowan
01-26-2012, 19:16
Hey I will say a HUGE thank you on the review here - sure they won't work for everyone but it just so happens I was in REI trying a pair of these on yesterday. Of all the "trail runners" I tried on, they were by far the best fit for my foot. I checked out some solamons, oboz, etc but man these cascadias felt awesome. Didn't drop the cash yet, thought I may be able to find a better deal online. Found these cheaper anywhere? I don't care too much about color, but I do wear a size 9.

So while there has been a lot of talk lately about how there is no point in giving advice on shoes as everyones feet are different - I think specific shoe reviews are helpful, particularly AFTER use. BUT YA GOTTA TRY 'EM ON. Luckily, I just did that :P many thanks

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 20:11
Hey,if you like the color,buy them now cause they won't be back for another 17 years.:DThanks for the review

Juice
01-27-2012, 01:26
I've got a pair of these and yes, they are awesome! I can't help myself and they've turned into my everyday shoes. OP- upper 50's and mid 60's? You're talking about mileage? or temperature?

protargol
01-27-2012, 02:52
Hey I will say a HUGE thank you on the review here - sure they won't work for everyone but it just so happens I was in REI trying a pair of these on yesterday.

Awesome, glad I could be of help.

I've got a pair of these and yes, they are awesome! I can't help myself and they've turned into my everyday shoes. OP- upper 50's and mid 60's? You're talking about mileage? or temperature?

I got a little carried away and bored so tried doing some 24 hour hikes. Got some blisters the first time I tried (did 58 miles), but was fine after doing 66.

I guess I should also mention that I hiked in some very cold days (10-13) with these and my feet weren't ever really cold. Again, that's just my personal experience.

rowan
01-27-2012, 13:11
Hey can I ask what socks you used with these? I'm debating whether or not to pick up a pair of sealskinz for the colder start of my hike. You say that your feet stayed warm even in low temps, what about low temps + wet feet? I'm pretty much sold on the kicks, but have no experience w/ waterproof socks. not sure how they would fit/perform. Thanks again,

Rowan

protargol
01-27-2012, 15:36
Hey can I ask what socks you used with these?

I over the course of my hike I used midweight REI, Teko, and Smartwool socks. Even when my feet got wet, if I kept hiking, they would stay warm enough. However, if all my gear got really wet, I usually went into towns to hit up a dryer pretty soon afterwards. My system was two pairs to hike in, and one always dry pair for night time. I would say go romp in a freezing cold stream near home and see if that works for you though.

rowan
01-27-2012, 16:15
I would say go romp in a freezing cold stream near home and see if that works for you though.

What do you think I do on Friday and Saturday nights for fun? :P

thx man.

Don H
01-27-2012, 16:26
I used the Brooks Adrenaline trail runners last year, went through 4 pairs. Even though the uppers were OK the inner sole looses its spring and the shoe goes "flat" after about 500 miles. I did not have one blister the entire thru.

wornoutboots
01-30-2012, 01:10
Congratz Again on your thru hike Reboot! it was cool meeting you at the base of Blood mtn! These shoes have been on my mind ever since we cahtted about it on the trail that day. I do believe they'll be my next shoe of choice.

Thanks Again!