PDA

View Full Version : Sharkies "Sports Chews"

RWheeler
01-26-2012, 20:28
On a trip to Wallyworld today, I saw a pack of "Sharkies Kids Sports Chews" in the check-out lane. They were advertising the trial size pouches (40 cents). Being a fiend for gummy snacks, I could not help myself. The package states that they're an excellent source of Vitamin C (exact value listed below!), "No High Fructose Corn Syrup", "No Trans Fats", and "No Wheat Gluten & Nuts". I have no allergies to gluten or nuts, but that could be a very key point to someone else (although these are packaged in a plant along with Soy, so that's also a consideration).

They might serve as a plausible backpacking snack, so check some details out about them.

Here are some pictures.

There were 6 pieces total in the package, which is alright for a trial pack I suppose. Still, with only 6 pieces, the 23g of fruit snack gave 70 Calories and 58% RDA of Vitamin C.

The texture was pretty good for a chewy candy. It's not like gummy bears - it feels like it will hold up fairly well in heat. The texture is somewhat similar to Sour Patch Kids - but a little more firm and a little less tacky. The way they're coated, I was expecting a slightly sour flavor, but they're not sour at all. Not overly sweet, either. The tropical flavors, to my abilities, were identified as lemon-lime, mango, passion fruit, and watermelon.

Curious, I went to find information about non-trial size packages of these. The retail packages will be 45g (12 pieces), and therefore 140 Calories and a full daily serving of Vitamin C. More surprisingly, they also have "Smart Twists" which appear to be similar to Twizzlers in appearance. The nutritional information for a single 20g twist: 70 Calories, 100% Vitamin C, and also has Omega 3s.

The downside is the price. For the little shark pieces, a box of 12 bags is around $18., or 12 boxes, each with 5 bags (23g size, though, according to the site) for $48. The twists are sold by the case: 12 boxes, each with 5 twists; so 60 twists for $48. If you order the cases, it comes out to 80 cents per package. It might be something valid for those doing mail drops, or to keep a stock of and use when you do day hikes/weekend trips/single-supply backpacking trips. The shelf life seems pretty workable - the trial pack that I picked up today is best by 03/31/13.

I just figured I'd bring these to WB's attention, and do a mini-review of them (I suppose). If I'm resupplying and come across the trial packs in the future, I'll likely pick them up. Might be something good to keep handy in the hipbelt to grab at quick.

JAK
01-26-2012, 20:59
Using my food formula you have a value of about (23 + 58)/5 = 16 cents, plus the 'yummy' factor. 32 cents for full size. So not bad for a snack, at about 2.5 times the price of economical food, and a nice way to get your vitamin C. But you have to be a little careful there because real food with vitamin C is likely to have some other vitamins and minerals and micronutrients to go along with that. C can be a tough one on the trail though, unless you eat parsley.

RWheeler
01-26-2012, 21:07
I've been able to find A, B (6 & 12), and D fairly well in my foods. Carnation Instant Breakfast and some dried fruits would be good sources of C, but in terms of a snack that has it? I was pretty shocked by it.

I'm not going to be filling my snack pouch with them every time I hit town, but it's still a pretty nifty option once you add the yummy factor as you put it. I think they're essentially another brand of "Honey Stingers". Seems to be a very similar product, anyway. Something new, so it caught my eye and wanted to share :D

Thanks for the input, JAK!

rocketsocks
01-26-2012, 21:07
JAK,thanks for review,and keeping hikers healthy,one snack at a time

JAK
01-26-2012, 21:22
Thanks. I'm loads of fun at the grocery store these days. yeehah!