PDA

View Full Version : Weather expectations?

Bear Cables
01-26-2012, 23:30
What can I expect weather wise for the Hot Springs area in the first week of April?

Bronk
01-27-2012, 05:49
Possibilities include rain, snow, ice. Be prepared for the worst.

Papa D
01-27-2012, 08:53
I'll add to Bronk's list of rain snow and ice: absolutely perfect weather, days in the 70s and nights in the upper 40s to low 50s, blue skys, windy, warm sunshine, (or flooding and mud) - it just runs the whole gamut.

moldy
01-27-2012, 10:46
If you can't adjust the date of your trip so as to avoid bad weather then you will have to adjust your load at the last minute with the knowledge provided by the weather forecast. My heaviest pack weight is for cold and wet conditions at 28 lbs. Next heaviest is cold and dry which for me is about 25 lbs. The difference for me is the type of bag, tent and clothing that I have depends on the expected weather. Another factor is the time of year and how full the shelters are. In the late Fall I can get away with expecting the shelters to be available. In April near Hot Springs you can expect them to be full. At this point in late Janurary all you can do is look at the normal weather in early April. Cool and wet with a wide range of possibility's from warm to snow.