PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts Of America

seasparrow
01-27-2012, 10:18
We could run a thread forever about your experiences with scouting good or bad. So lets just find out how bad or good it is with my poll.

coach lou
01-27-2012, 10:24
Thanks, SS

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2012, 10:32
I see no poll?
I was only in Boy Scouts for about two years total. I found the organized part of it kind of pretentious, the whole uniform and badges thing, but I liked the few outdoors things we did (not enough of them to keep me interested). In my late teens I got informally involved in my Uncle's troop a bit - mostly I helped him take the troop on hikes as he could never get many parents to volunteer.

I give my experience a 6 on a 0 to 10.

WingedMonkey
01-27-2012, 10:36
Since you have started posting you seem to have your finger stuck on the poll button.

:sun

dshideler
01-27-2012, 10:48
Are you serious?? Another boy scout thread? Our personal opinions differ. Such is life. Get over it.

Amanita
01-27-2012, 11:06
Wow, way to take a complex issue and try to boil it down to black and white. Could have at least put a third option for those who don't see it one way.

atmilkman
01-27-2012, 12:57
I grew up in Scouting and am a firm believer in Scouting. We were voted the most active troop in the state of Michigan two years in a row. We went everywhere. We went to Ohio and got credit for going out of state. We went to Canada and got credit for going out of the country. We were donated a Christmas Tree farm by one of the Scoutmasters. We cut and planted trees and sold them in front of the Church and finally bought our own used school bus. Then the fun really began. And we owe all this to really great Scoutmasters. We never ever had a problem with pedophilia. Heck, all the Scoutmasters were my friends dads. We called each other queer and stuff but never really new what one was. It was most definitely a time of innocence. The biggest problem we had was with kids our own age. The tough guys. The cool kids. (My grandmother called them hoodlums- lol) It was tough to walk down the street and be taunted and verbally abused and I guess by todays terms bullied. We were called queers, "BOY" scouts, sissys, etc. we heard it all. Now, today, some of those same tough guys have their kids and grandkids in Scouting and some of them are even Scoutmasters themselves. Some have even told me they wish they would have gotten into Scouts when we did. I guess I could have posted this in the other thread but since I was in this one voting I just posted it here, and I guess you can tell which way I voted. My experience in Scouting gets a 10.

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2012, 13:54
Kind of vague, are we voting to determine whether or not we believe the organization exists? :rolleyes:

I'm an eagle scout and I would objectively give them a 90%-95% rating. Some of their policies need to be brought into the 21st century, but their problems are minuscule compared to the good that they do for the vast majority of those in scouting.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2012, 14:00
yes or no what?

DarthTornado
01-27-2012, 14:02
kinda of a small pole you have there seaparrow! :)

coach lou
01-27-2012, 14:07
Haven't we discussed this for most of this week? Your For the Scouts{BSA & GSA} or Not.

atmilkman
01-27-2012, 14:14
The way I took it was your opinion of being in the scouts: good or bad experience. Maybe I missed something in the OP.

Don H
01-27-2012, 16:31
I'm not voting, I started too much trouble on the last thread :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2012, 19:33
One thing's for sure, based on this poll, they have a better approval rating than Congress :D

rocketsocks
01-27-2012, 20:19
Hey, I learned something on the last couple of controversial threads and posts,there controversial,and more than I new before those threads and ideas were put out there.I gave my opinion and that's all it was an opinion.the opposition took on all comers both sides,Ain't America great,I think so.I mean unless ya just wanna argue then I go get some pop corn.put it to sleep for now.just my 2 cents.

Papa D
01-27-2012, 20:31
I got pulled from the first BSA thread - I better not test my luck here - it was fun though!

TOMP
01-27-2012, 20:55
I am so glad there isnt a third option for people to choose Dont care or something. If you dont care just dont vote.

Two Speed
01-27-2012, 21:46
BSA, yes or no?

Yes, I like seeing Boy Scouts on the AT, yes the BSA is full of fourteen kinds of BS, yes the BSA is the bomb for pedophiles?

One of the lamest polls or threads I've seen on WB for a while, and that's no easy achievement.

rocketsocks
01-27-2012, 21:54
Seasparrow,take no offence,no harm no foul I think were all just a little tired,well at least i am.....let it die

Papa D
01-27-2012, 21:57
so, it's 4:25 pm and you've just hiked 16 miles to a shelter, 15 boy scouts walk up making noise and start talking about building their bonfire - do you walk 6-10 miles to the next shelter of stay put and take it?

rocketsocks
01-27-2012, 22:01
Break out the weenies and mellows of marsh

leaftye
01-27-2012, 22:09
Yes, my experience was bad.
No, my experience was bad.
Yes, my experience was good.
No, my experience was good.
No, my experience was not bad.
No, my experience was not good.

drifter
01-27-2012, 22:27
I am an Eagle, one son is an Eagle, another was in Scouts, lots of good stuff, some bad....who really cares?

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2012, 22:40
so, it's 4:25 pm and you've just hiked 16 miles to a shelter, 15 boy scouts walk up making noise and start talking about building their bonfire - do you walk 6-10 miles to the next shelter of stay put and take it?

Option C. Teach them a bit about the history of the trail and tell them some hiking stories in exchange for the extra burgers and hotdogs the almost definitely packed, enjoy the fire for a bit and then go to sleep full and tired.:sun

sheepdog
01-27-2012, 22:42
yes or no what??

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2012, 22:53
yes or no what??

Just answer the question!!!:D

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2012, 23:11
Sheepdogs naturally run around in crcles and make noise. It's in his nature. ;) :D

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2012, 23:17
Sheepdogs naturally run around in crcles and make noise. It's in his nature. ;) :D

I know, my hiking buddy almost always brings his unleashed border collie...but that's a story for a different controversial thread. :eek::rolleyes:

Sierra Echo
01-27-2012, 23:23
I'm about to start a poll. Its called " are you sick of the damn boy scouts" yes or no?

dshideler
01-27-2012, 23:35
Resounding yes!

Rasty
01-27-2012, 23:38
The bad scouts had their dad make their pinewood derby car. Do I vote no for them?

Wise Old Owl
01-27-2012, 23:52
I'm not voting, I started too much trouble on the last thread :) Yep I am done.....too.

Seasparrow,take no offence,no harm no foul I think were all just a little tired,well at least i am.....let it die Couldn't say it better

seasparrow
01-28-2012, 00:10
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TO POSTS,although please poll.

rocketsocks
01-28-2012, 00:39
Trouble maker:DI'll get some popcorn;)

Wise Old Owl
01-28-2012, 00:58
YEA --- I am reaching for Poppycock....

leaftye
01-28-2012, 01:04
What's better, the PCT or AT? Yes or no.

Rasty
01-28-2012, 01:17
Are you sure its closed?

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TO POSTS,although please poll.

Rasty
01-28-2012, 01:25
Nope still open!

rocketsocks
01-28-2012, 01:26
YEA --- I am reaching for Poppycock....

15021Oo oo the good stuff,you got that from a boy scout.

rocketsocks
01-28-2012, 01:32
Good night all and thank you for coming to the show get home safe...and CUT were off.."little bastards"

Mike2012
01-28-2012, 02:04
I had fun but only got to the badge above tenderfoot. I don't like rules I guess.

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2012, 09:14
so, it's 4:25 pm and you've just hiked 16 miles to a shelter, 15 boy scouts walk up making noise and start talking about building their bonfire - do you walk 6-10 miles to the next shelter of stay put and take it?You really need to take a break and relook at this with a fresh perspective. We've all seen the troops of scouts out there, but when it comes to shelter use, the vast majority of problems encountered are hiker-on-hiker infractions. And it's not just shelter issues, just look at any thread on here.

About the only time scouts are an issue on here is when someone happens to bring up the issue and the ball starts rolling...But if you look at the problems people have with other hikers, very little has to do with scouts.

BTW, I also don't get this poll. What's yes and what's no.

No question mark, because it's a rhetorical question; I just don't care.

coach lou
01-28-2012, 09:22
I have to go pack my pack........I'll be that grayhaired guy @ Wiley Shelter tonite if you need to talk about the BSA.........

sheepdog
01-28-2012, 10:07
yes or no what??

Just answer the question!!!:D

I know, my hiking buddy almost always brings his unleashed border collie...but that's a story for a different controversial thread. :eek::rolleyes:

I'd like to vote "none of the above."

Bearpaw
01-28-2012, 17:17

Unless you're a total shelter rat, you hang your hammock/put up your tent a few hundred yards away and enjoy the evening.

Wise Old Owl
01-28-2012, 17:27
Rocket Socks I am out of Poppycock - any dogs left on the grill? Ok pass it over.

sheepdog
01-29-2012, 18:06
If you want wilderness, go to the wilderness. If you want to put up with other hikers, boy scouts included: hike the AT. Only city people think the AT is wilderness and get all upset when others intrude on their hike.

Don H
01-29-2012, 18:26

You stop, talk to them, be nice and they feed you. Then you hike a few miles and stealth camp, fat and happy!

sheepdog
01-30-2012, 13:15
You stop, talk to them, be nice and they feed you. Then you hike a few miles and stealth camp, fat and happy!

very smart!!!

Mountain Shuttler
01-30-2012, 15:58
If you want wilderness, go to the wilderness. If you want to put up with other hikers, boy scouts included: hike the AT. Only city people think the AT is wilderness and get all upset when others intrude on their hike.I totally agree! I enjoy being around scouts because at least they still have some enthusiasm for life unlike some of the whiny asses on here!

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2012, 23:03
Whiny asses? is that a Pinot Noir? and do I need a cork screw for that?

Rasty
01-30-2012, 23:56
It's actually a Marsanne / Viognier blend. :)

Whiny asses? is that a Pinot Noir? and do I need a cork screw for that?

Snow>TP
01-31-2012, 12:49
you guys act like this is the only topic that is beat to hell on whiteblaze. If youre tired of it click elsewhere.

Exposure to the outdoors id the most important thing. Why hate a flawed organization with great intentions?

All bad examples Ive seen I could say the same about christian groups or any large group in the field. This is why LNT says keep it under 12 heartbeats(generally).

Don H
01-31-2012, 20:16
Well I had to vote to see the poll results, not surprising.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2012, 20:38
you guys act like this is the only topic that is beat to hell on whiteblaze. If youre tired of it click elsewhere.

Exposure to the outdoors id the most important thing. Why hate a flawed organization with great intentions?

All bad examples Ive seen I could say the same about christian groups or any large group in the field. This is why LNT says keep it under 12 heartbeats(generally).

HUH? TAKE A PEAK & (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=980932) Click Here And you misunderstand - years of WB threads are about scouting... and I have defended it to the best of my ability.

Well its so beat -15040

Sierra Echo
01-31-2012, 20:45
Unless you're a total shelter rat, you hang your hammock/put up your tent a few hundred yards away and enjoy the evening.

No way! That makes too much sense! *gasp*

WingedMonkey
01-31-2012, 21:21
Well I had to vote to see the poll results, not surprising.

Yep, as of this post 1,443 views, and only 105 votes.

Papa D
01-31-2012, 21:30
Still not saying anything other than it seems that this topic (and the other thread I was booted from) has received an amazing amount of attention - maybe we should all latch onto another thread ....

Rightfoot
01-31-2012, 21:49
I stayed in Scouts for six years and did complete my Eagle Scout. We were year round campers in northern New England which is one camping trip per month each month of the year. This was my initial exposure to camping and hiking. While our troop was quite small, we had a core of six adult leaders who were totally dedicated to our program and made it a success. In my six years, IN SMALL GROUPS, we attended National Jamboree twice, hiked Philmont, thru hiked the Long Trail, and spent two weeks of canoeing in the Boundry Waters Wilderness. Now granted, I have arrived at shelters also to find them swamped with young scouts but we must remember that this is primarily a reflection on the leadership and not the scouts themselves.

Sorry for the Rant!

sheepdog
01-31-2012, 21:55
No way! That makes too much sense! *gasp*

inconceivable!!!

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2012, 21:55
Don't be-keep on ranting.

Skyline
01-31-2012, 23:53

Cook dinner, get water, clean up, and hike on a few more miles to find solitude in between shelters.

Don H
02-01-2012, 20:39
Exactly what I did at Piazza Shelter when I met up with a huge college group.

Papa D
02-01-2012, 20:56
Cook dinner, get water, clean up, and hike on a few more miles to find solitude in between shelters.

You know, this might surprise you all but I take out small groups myself quite often - I end to ended the LT with 6 kids (albeit amazing backpacker kids). I'd likely do what you suggest but, assuming weather and other things, I might hang out for a while and give them a chance. If the leaders calmed them down, got them on task and kept things under control, I might chill with them -- if not, I'm hiking a few more miles at least. My groups will often interact with long distance hikers. We make it clear from the on-set that we are different - they all have their solo shelters and cook in groups of one or two. We rarely make a campfire and we keep it really quiet. There is a way to do it well. So there!