PDA

View Full Version : non-AT trail advice

java
03-16-2005, 15:13
Hi all, I'm just going to throw this out there:

I'm hoping to do a 3+/- week hike this summer (probably July), and for once I want to get off the AT (gasp!). I'm looking for ideas and recommendations for a nice distance hike of about 300 miles.

Here are some of my conditions/parameters/info, but feel free to recommend any trail at all, I'm just gathering ideas now:

Eastern/Southern/Middle US or Eastern Canada (I live in Maine)
I like mountains, but I like rolling terrain better. I'd rather do high miles than climb all day.
I'm a photographer, so I will be taking pictures. Pretty is good, people are good, vistas are nice.
I don't mind hiking one part of a larger trail, or combining several smaller ones near each other.
I'll be alone, for whatever that is worth.
I don't need lots of shelters, services, etc., and I can read a map.
Oh, and I'd like to hear from people with actual personal experience with the trail they're recommending.

Can't wait to hear what folks think!
Thanks,
-java:D
www.visualalex.com

hikerjohnd
03-16-2005, 15:22
The foothills trail (http://www.foothillstrail.org/current/menu.htm) might be a bit short, but that time of year, taking your time to hike it might be a good idea. I've not hiked it yet - but it's on my list!

The Solemates
03-16-2005, 15:31
Ive hiked the Foothills 3 times. Its nice, but only takes 5 days or so. He wanted something for 3 weeks.

Doc
03-16-2005, 15:42
Ever think about heading north on the IAT? The trail passes through some of the prettiest places in North America.

Doc

Youngblood
03-16-2005, 15:56
Ive hiked the Foothills 3 times. Its nice, but only takes 5 days or so. He wanted something for 3 weeks.He could start at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina, hike SW on the Foothills Trail, connect with the Chattooga Trail at the Chattooga River and hike SE, connect with the Bartram Trail on the Georgia side of the Chattooga River follow it until it hits the AT at Wayah Bald or Cheaha Bald in North Carolina, take the AT S to Springer Mountain in Georgia... if thats not enough he could pick up the Benton MacKaye Trail at Springer and head NW. Lots of interconnecting trails; have to do a little planning for resupply.

I've hiked all these trails, but not in one hike. They are all great trails in the right time of year but I don't know how bad last seasons storms messed up the Foothills Trail or the Bartram Trail, I do know that the Benton MacKaye and AT are in good shape. Roughly for this route the Foothills Trail is about 70, the Chattooga 5, the Bartram 110, the AT 140 and the Benton MacKaye 90 (and growing by another 150 or so as I type). Johnny Molloy's book Long Trails of the Southeast has all of the trails in it with the exception of the AT and the Chattooga Trail... and the yellow Bartram Trail blazes are present where the Foothills Trail seperates from the Chattooga Trail in SC. Oh yeah, Molloy chose Jones Gap State Park in SC instead of Table Rock State Park for the northern terminus of the Foothills Trail so that option probably adds about 10 miles.

Youngblood

Skyline
03-16-2005, 16:00
At the top of my to-do list is the Foothills Trail also, in fact if it wasn't for Hurricanes Frances and Ivan last Fall it would be done.

But for a longer hike, you might want to look into the Tuscarora Trail in VA-WV-MD-PA, or the Finger Lakes Trail System in NY (much of the latter concurrent with the North Country Trail).

I'm more familiar with Tuscarora, since our local PATC maintains it and I've done a bit of the southern portion. It begins in Shenandoah National Park near Hogback Mt. (North District) where it intersects the AT. It then is routed westward, out of the Park, across the Shenandoah River's South Fork, over the Massanutten ranges, across the rest of the Shenandoah Valley, and eventually reaches Great North Mt. where it turns northward. From there it alternates between VA and WV, eventually landing on the C&O Canal in Hancock, MD. Then it makes its way in a mostly northeasterly direction before it reconnects with the AT on Blue Mt. in PA.

The Tuscarora Trail was once conceived as an alternative to the AT when development in Northern VA threatened the AT's continued routing there. Now that the AT is more secure in NOVA, the TT permits a long loop hike in combination with the AT. It has been thru-hiked, but you'd probably still be considered a "pioneer" thru-hiker if you did all the TT in the near future. :-)

The Tuscarora is more remote in some of its wooded/mountain sections than the AT, and the trail in places is not as well maintained though this is getting better each year (and there are sections VERY well maintained). There are some overnight shelters, but not enough to rely on shelters all the way. Except in a drought year, water is usually not an issue so long as you fill up at every opportunity. There are also some farm traverses and roadwalking (mostly less travelled, unpaved roads) in some sections--especially crossing the Shenandoah Valley and in a few other stretches.

From the study and actual hiking I've done, I'd say at least the Southern half of the TT is more rolling hills than all-day climbing. There are, of course, exceptions. I hope to complete at least the Southern half (up to Hancock) this year. The Northern half is still mostly unknown territory to me, but I've heard second-hand that it is does not present extreme elevation changes.

You can read more about the Tuscarora Trail at www.patc.net, and there are guidebooks and maps for sale in their online store.

java
03-16-2005, 16:01
For the record I'm a she :eek:, not a he. No biggie.
But that said...thanks for the good ideas. Keep them coming.
Also, I've hiked the AT already, so I want to stick with non-AT miles for the most part. Youngblood does present some good ideas down south though. Anyone done the something-to-the-sea trail? I can't remember the name exactly....
Maybe I should be mrs. java from now on...:rolleyes:

Youngblood
03-16-2005, 16:19
A she huh... well, my mistake and sometimes that is a biggie. ;)

I think the trail you refer to is the Mountain to the Sea Trail in North Carolina... I don't know much more about it than its name so I will leave comments to those who know more.

If you decide to hike down this way, let me know... maybe I can hike a little of it with you or help you with a resupply. It has been a few years since I have hiked the NC portion of the Bartram Trail and I have been wanting to do it again. A few of us (MowGli: aka Little Bear, Profile, Almanac, Not to Worry: aka Ed Speer of Speer Hammocks, and myself) where set to hike the Bartram Trail last fall... and then the storms hit and the initial reports of storm damage were discouraging so we scuttled that and most of us ended up hiking some of the Florida Trail in January.

Youngblood

chris
03-16-2005, 16:33
The Bruce Trail is one I'd like to hike sometime and fulfills a lot of what you want.

PKH
03-16-2005, 16:37
Since you're in Maine and relatively handy, I would suggest Quebec sections of the IAT - that's SIA in French. There is some seriously gorgeous trail, much of it very wild and lonely. For someone looking for a several hundred mile long trail with fantastic scenery that is challenging but not too difficult, I believe your best bet would be Gaspe park (Parc de la Gaspesie, possibly a back to back. This park is part of the IAT. Excellent tent platforms, and absolutely superb shelters about 13 to 18 km apart.

I did the entire IAT last summer in six weeks and would be happy to provide detailed info and contacts if you wish. I can also put you in touch with a female IAT thru hiker friend if you would prefer a woman's perspective on the trail.

Cheers and good hiking,

PKH

The Solemates
03-16-2005, 17:19
He could start at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina, hike SW on the Foothills Trail, connect with the Chattooga Trail at the Chattooga River and hike SE, connect with the Bartram Trail on the Georgia side of the Chattooga River follow it until it hits the AT at Wayah Bald or Cheaha Bald in North Carolina, take the AT S to Springer Mountain in Georgia... if thats not enough he could pick up the Benton MacKaye Trail at Springer and head NW. Lots of interconnecting trails; have to do a little planning for resupply.

I've hiked all these trails, but not in one hike. They are all great trails in the right time of year but I don't know how bad last seasons storms messed up the Foothills Trail or the Bartram Trail, I do know that the Benton MacKaye and AT are in good shape. Roughly for this route the Foothills Trail is about 70, the Chattooga 5, the Bartram 110, the AT 140 and the Benton MacKaye 90 (and growing by another 150 or so as I type). Johnny Molloy's book Long Trails of the Southeast has all of the trails in it with the exception of the AT and the Chattooga Trail... and the yellow Bartram Trail blazes are present where the Foothills Trail seperates from the Chattooga Trail in SC. Oh yeah, Molloy chose Jones Gap State Park in SC instead of Table Rock State Park for the northern terminus of the Foothills Trail so that option probably adds about 10 miles.

Youngblood

Certainly. Ive always wanted to do a long trip like this. Ive also hiked the Bartram and it is nice. The GA section is in better shape than the NC section, at least it was 3 years ago when i hiked it.

Sly
03-16-2005, 17:26
A few weeks in the Wind River range or the John Muir Trail. It's the best. ;)

The Hog
03-16-2005, 17:27
It sounds like you're ruling out the Rockies, but if you change your mind, I'd like to recommend that you hike the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) from the Canadian border to Lincoln, Montana. It's about 270 miles and traverses Glacier N.P., the Bob Marshall Wilderness and the Scapegoat Wilderness. Great terrain, great wildlife, swimming holes, fords, above treeline, map and compass, bushwhacking possibilities, the Chinese Wall, a tough challenge with huge rewards. I did it in 19 days in 1998.

Peaks
03-16-2005, 18:00
So many trails, so little time

Just to state some of the obvious:

sections of the IAT
Long Trail, north of Sherburn Gap, about 2 weeks
Cohos Trail, 2 weeks or less.
Bag all NH 4000, about 250 miles if do it in a continous hike
Adirondack High Peaks region
Northville-Lake Placid trail, about 1 1/2 weeks
Do a loop around the Smokies
Colorado Trail (4 weeks)
John Muir Trail.

The list goes on

Kerosene
03-16-2005, 19:00
I researched the Bruce Trail. You can certainly walk it, but there are very limited camping areas for long stretches.

I really enjoyed the northern section of the Long Trail (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/LTb.htm), and someday I'd love to do the Cohos Trail.

If you decide to head west, check out the Superior Hiking Trail (http://www.shta.org/) (205 miles) in Minnesota that's supposed to be beautiful for Fall hiking. I'd also like to to the John Muir Trail in California, although I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the altitude.

Kembo
03-16-2005, 19:07
I know that it shares the same footpath as the Appalatian trail for about a third of its length. The LT is about 275 miles long. Could be done in 3 weeks + a few days. My son and I plan to thru hike the LT this year.

Jeff

java
03-16-2005, 19:30
I researched the Bruce Trail. You can certainly walk it, but there are very limited camping areas for long stretches.

I really enjoyed the northern section of the Long Trail (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/LTb.htm), and someday I'd love to do the Cohos Trail.

If you decide to head west, check out the Superior Hiking Trail (http://www.shta.org/) (205 miles) in Minnesota that's supposed to be beautiful for Fall hiking. I'd also like to to the John Muir Trail in California, although I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the altitude.
Can you expand on your Bruce Trail comment? I started looking at their website and it looks like an interesting trail. Can you not just camp anywhere like on the AT?
The Superior Trail is also an option, I'm from Minnesota originally, so that might be a wise choice.
Thanks for chiming in everyone! I'm starting to get excited about the potenital of exploring other trails.

The Solemates
03-16-2005, 19:33
I'm starting to get excited about the potenital of exploring other trails.

Same for me.....just about all day every day. Its an obsession.

squirrel bait
03-17-2005, 00:12
Java, here's the address for the Mountain to Sea Trail.
http://www.ncmst.org/aboutthemst.htm

I can attest that the eastern part in Craven, Pamlico and Carteret counties is an easy walk. Dare County is a beach walk where camping is illegal on the beach. Awfully hot walk in July. Maybe someone has done part of the western trail and can help.

Sleepy the Arab
03-17-2005, 10:09
No one has mentioned the Allegheny Trail yet. Its about 325 miles, starting at Peters Ridge (on the AT) and running through West Virginia to Pennsylvania. According to the ATN, the Bartram Trail has just been completed through the Smokeys and clocks in at ~275 miles

bulldog49
03-17-2005, 10:17
http://www.shta.org/

You might want to consider the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. Beautuful views of Lake Superior, convenient resupply points, shuttle service and extremely well maintained trail. Elevations reaching 1200' above the lake. Total length is little over 200 miles and could be extended by hiking part of the Boundary Trail which connects to it at the north end. Other than a few day hikers on weekends, it's not heavily used.

bulldog49
03-17-2005, 10:20
Can you expand on your Bruce Trail comment? I started looking at their website and it looks like an interesting trail. Can you not just camp anywhere like on the AT?
The Superior Trail is also an option, I'm from Minnesota originally, so that might be a wise choice.
Thanks for chiming in everyone! I'm starting to get excited about the potenital of exploring other trails.

I've hiked the northern section on the Bruce Peninsula. Fairly flat with some great views of Georgian Bay. Sort of broken-up with road-walks.

Kerosene
03-17-2005, 10:31
Can you expand on your Bruce Trail comment? I started looking at their website and it looks like an interesting trail. Can you not just camp anywhere like on the AT? No, there are not a lot of available camping spots, especially as you near the southwest end. There appeared to be a number of hotels or hostels that you could use, but it appears to run across a lot of private property where you couldn't camp at will. Note that this is the result of my research, not from any direct personal experience.

Jaybird
03-17-2005, 10:54
Hi all, I'm just going to throw this out there:

I'm hoping to do a 3+/- week hike this summer (probably July), and for once I want to get off the AT (gasp!). I'm looking for ideas and recommendations for a nice distance hike of about 300 miles................................etc,etc,etc,. .............

the LONG TRAIL :D