PDA

View Full Version : New 3rd Generation (2012) Osprey Atmos 65 review

tuswm
01-27-2012, 18:21
Great pack for big people now too. I have never seen a hip belt this adjustable. it would easily fit smaller than a 30" waist but it also has straps that all most drag on the ground. From what I can tell it looks like it should fit close to a 50" waist.

This is the new model
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series-new_2012

(http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series-new_2012)

I (http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series-new_2012) had the First generation, have hiked with the second generation and now have the 3rd generation not out in stores yet. thank you osprey all mighty warranty.

All similar packs, 65 liters, air speed back panel and should and hip pads that are meant to breath. All the pockets are in the same places.

The first gen packs had a frame that got in the way of packing things. If you have one you know what I am talking about. The second generation could fit a horizontal bear can all the way down. (so could the first gen REI flash 65). This new one isn't as bad as the first gen, the 3rd gen can fir it in the back but it wont go any lower than your shoulders.

Improvements: more stuff same weight
great hip pads
eliminated zipper inside rear pocket for access to main compartment.
more adjustable than ever
still has back ventilation but center of gravity is closer to spine.
pack is carried higher on back.

not sure yet
adjustable torso length with Velcro shoulder straps.
still has a shelf to separate the sleeping bag compartment.
small screen zipper thingy underside of lid.

not good
zipper to lid is so small I dont think you could fit a gloved hand through it.
still have no room in rear packets when pack is full.
still have no room in pack if rear pockets are full
hip belts pockets in the wrong spot, shoulder strap will chafe them.
hip belt pockets too small, can not fit smart phone or camera.
I don't think bear cans were considered when making this pack.
side water bottle pocket can easily fit 1L water bottles, when the main compartments is empty

I have only had this pack for about an hour. and I do like it, I am just a hard critic. I have a ULA OHM that I usually use but this will be for when I have to car more that 30# or need more room like winter. But some of the things I have noticed make me wounder who designed this pack? was it an engineer? a European back packer? or a long distance hiker back packer? when the main compartments is stuffed all the other main pockets become all most worthless.

Spokes
01-27-2012, 19:08
Did they finally get rid of those hideous mesh hip belt pockets?

tuswm
01-27-2012, 22:53
yes! but the pockets are even smaller.

lemon b
01-28-2012, 01:01
Got 500 plus miles on one I picked up a year ago. Rides good. Everything else is BS.

Seaweed
01-31-2012, 21:42
I, too, just received the 2012 Atmos 65 (medium). This is a really nice pack with just one complaint from me.

Pros:
The harness and hip belt padding has been improved and is more comfortable.
Great harness and hip belt adjustments.

Cons:
The usable space in the main compartment is a little less (see next comment).

The rear zippered area inside the main compartment can no longer be used to hold an Osprey bladder. Those of you with the 2nd generation Atmos know what I'm referring to. With the 2nd generation pack it was possible to insert and remove a full 2L bladder without unloading the entire pack. Unfortunately, those days seem to be gone.

As a result of the redesigned harness, Osprey has made it so that you must hang your bladder using the clip that is located inside the upper rear of the main compartment. With a 20 degree bag loaded in the bottom compartment and nothing else in the pack, it was tough for me to squeeze a 2L Osprey bladder (which was only filled 2/3 of the way) into the space that Osprey wants us to use. I see no choice but to empty my entire pack whenever I need to remove or insert my bladder. What a pain that's going to be. I guess I got spoiled with the old pack. It was so easy to slip it in and out of the pack. Heck, you could even peer through the mesh side and see how much water was remaining in the bladder.

The Osprey rep I spoke to today told me that the zippered compartment on the old packs were not intended to hold the bladder, therefore, we didn't really lose anything.

So there you have it. It's a great pack but it seems they took a step backwards with regards to the carrying of water and the availability of space in the main compartment.

I think TUswm was spot on with the comments in his review.

Check the pack out for yourself. If you've been using the 2nd. generation pack, you might want to give the new one a test ride before taking the leap just to be sure you'll like the changes.

tuswm
02-01-2012, 16:11
Pros:
The harness and hip belt padding has been improved and is more comfortable.
I like the gen 1 and it had great breathability but the 3rd gen has awsome pads.

The rear zippered area inside the main compartment can no longer be used to hold an Osprey bladder. Those of you with the 2nd generation Atmos know what I'm referring to. With the 2nd generation pack it was possible to insert and remove a full 2L bladder without unloading the entire pack. Unfortunately, those days seem to be gone.

I feel like no though was put in to drinking and refilling water with the pack on. The ONLY thing they did was make a hole for the bladder tube. on my video review you can see how impossible it is to reach the water bottle pockets while the pack is on. I feel like anyone that tested this pack before production would have been annoyed by the whole water accessibility issue with this pack. Iíll find the link and put it in the next post.

The gen 1 also had a zippered pocket that "wasnít for bladders" in the zippered pocket that "wasnít for bladders" there was two clips to hang the bladders from.

I have found a way around this if you are a filter person. Camel packs has an elbow with a valve on it that goes between the bite valve
and the tube. Its called the camelbak ergo hydrolock valve. 15056youcan hook the tube from your pump right up to your bladder while its still in your pack. All you have to do is slip the bite valve off the end then attach the filter to the ergo hydrolock valve. Just watch the pressure of the bladder. Hope this helps you out.

Also bladders donít have to be vertical as long as the place where the tube connects to the bladder is the lowest point.

But I use a steri pen now so that doesnít help.

I think TUswm was spot on with the comments in his review..
Thanks!

question>?
Do you still have your gen 2 pack? Do you have a bear can? The big clear blue plastic one? Can you fit it all the way down on the bottom of your pack? Horizontally? I just realized that I only tried putting it in through the top. Ill have to go home and try putting it in through the bottom. On the Gen one you could do this with the smaller egg shaped black bear can but even that was a really really tight fit.

Also what was your take on the zipper on the lid and the hip belt pockets?

tuswm
02-01-2012, 16:12
video review link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0qqtqtw_o

Spokes
02-02-2012, 14:20
I just got a hands on look at the new Atmos 65 and like it a lot. So glad they got rid of those dreadful mesh hip belt pockets! I didn't think the pockets were that small.

Interesting Osprey reduced the torso length between the 1st and 2nd generation atmos 65 pack and still maintained the same sizing scale. Mine was merely 1.5 inches shorter when I measured it. I sent it back thinking they had mis-labeled the size. I'm now convinced it has more to do with reducing the cost of production than anything else. Wonder if they cut even more between gen 2 and 3???

Come to think of it that's probably why it rides so much higher as the older models.

Seaweed
02-03-2012, 16:52
I like the gen 1 and it had great breathability but the 3rd gen has awsome pads.

I just finished a 3 day shakedown hike with the new pack. It is VERY comfortable!!! It feels like it's possible to more finely tune the weight between hips and shoulders to suit your personal taste. I'm really glad Osprey got rid of the mesh hip packets and went with a solid fabric design. I was always afraid that the mesh would tear and I'd lose whatever was in that pocket.

The back area seemed to breath really well.

I feel like no though was put in to drinking and refilling water with the pack on. The ONLY thing they did was make a hole for the bladder tube. on my video review you can see how impossible it is to reach the water bottle pockets while the pack is on. I feel like anyone that tested this pack before production would have been annoyed by the whole water accessibility issue with this pack. Iíll find the link and put it in the next post.

The gen 1 also had a zippered pocket that "wasnít for bladders" in the zippered pocket that "wasnít for bladders" there was two clips to hang the bladders from.

I have found a way around this if you are a filter person. Camel packs has an elbow with a valve on it that goes between the bite valve
and the tube. Its called the camelbak ergo hydrolock valve. 15056youcan hook the tube from your pump right up to your bladder while its still in your pack. All you have to do is slip the bite valve off the end then attach the filter to the ergo hydrolock valve. Just watch the pressure of the bladder. Hope this helps you out.

Also bladders donít have to be vertical as long as the place where the tube connects to the bladder is the lowest point.

But I use a steri pen now so that doesnít help.

Thanks!

As I suspected, the new (revised) bladder containment is a bit of a pain in the arse. I got my pack loaded this morning only to look over and see that I forgot to load the bladder. With the old pack I could have easily slid it in place, but with the new pack I had to literally remove everything from the pack (minus the sleeping bag) so that I could insert the bladder. I'm sure I'll get used to it and that I'm only having withdrawals after having become familiar with the 2nd gen Atmos 65.

I use the Katadyn Pro filter and have found that I'm able to remove the bite valve from my Osprey bladder and connect the filter's outlet tubing directly to the Osprey's feed tube. This way I can fill the bladder without removing it from the pack; however, I have to be careful not to overfill the bladder or I think bad things could happen. Once again, the old design would allow me to see how much water was in the bladder and if a leak did occur it would spill outside the pack and not inside.

question>?
Do you still have your gen 2 pack? Do you have a bear can? The big clear blue plastic one? Can you fit it all the way down on the bottom of your pack? Horizontally? I just realized that I only tried putting it in through the top. Ill have to go home and try putting it in through the bottom. On the Gen one you could do this with the smaller egg shaped black bear can but even that was a really really tight fit.

Also what was your take on the zipper on the lid and the hip belt pockets?

I don't have a bear can. So far I haven't been anywhere where one is required.

I'm ok with the zipper on the lid. I just use that area for toiletries, headlamp, and ball cap. So far it hasn't been a problem for me.

The hip belt pockets seem to be placed too far back. I can't get the pocket zipper to fully open because the bottom of the shoulder strap is in the way. Maybe if I had a larger waist (mine is 32") the belt would be opened wider and the packets moved forward a bit. I don't know. I haven't experiment with it.

I'm able to squeeze a digital camera in the waist pocket but just barely (probably has something to do with not being able to open the zipper all the way).

I think Osprey built a really great pack with this one. My only real complaint is the bladder system. But from what I've seen and heard all packs are basically the same with regards to carrying a bladder inside the pack so now I guess the Osprey Atmos 65 is in the same boat as the others as far as that's concerned. All in all it's a very comfortable and adjustable pack that seems to be well made. I'm glad I bought it.