PDA

View Full Version : February Departures

seasparrow
01-27-2012, 20:41
This going out to those very few brave souls heading out in a few days. May your bags be warm and your bellies full. Have a great Hike. Come back to us with your report asap.

The Monk you still on for Feb 1? I Think you will be leading the Class of 2012 this year.

Will be thinking of everyone heading out before me and wishing them success.

moocow
01-27-2012, 20:58
Thank you very much!

Papa D
01-27-2012, 21:41
I'm going to be in Colorado Skiing most of February with my wife and daughter but I'll be here next week and also the last week of February. I live about 2 hours from Springer - if anyone wants a ride from the Amtrak Station in Gainsville, Ga or from ATL, send me a P/M - I'll do it for gas money - I might even run the approach trail with you.

The Monk
01-27-2012, 21:55
Thank you...Feel free to wish me well in the thread I posted. Lots of views there, but all but one person did just that. Once again, best wishes to all starting a thru or section hike this year. Cheers...Monk

Slo-go'en
01-27-2012, 22:31
From reading trailjournals, a half dozen or so left Springer on Jan 1st and it looks like at least two of those are still on the trail - and both woman. One just got to NOC and the other is into the Smokies.

Old Boots
01-27-2012, 23:06
Starting from Springer 2/18. See you on the trail. Best wishes to all.

JAK
01-27-2012, 23:26
What a wacky winter up here so far. Wouldn't want to be in the woods tonight. Cold and Snowy and Windy, followed my Cold and Wet and Icy and Slushy, followed by ups and downs all weekend. New much below freezing but given that the ground it frozen solid it staying icy as well as wet. Wouldn't want to be out in it. I've changed a tire in this crap a few times, but fortunately or not, haven't spent much time deep in the woods in it. Maybe I should so a short overnight locally, just for hey. River is frozen, for the most part, and there are woods even within city limits, so I wouldn't have to venture too far to be suitably miserable.

Saint John and County
9:48 PM AST Friday 27 January 2012
Rainfall warning for
Saint John and County continued

Total rainfall amounts up to 25 millimetres are expected tonight for the above regions.

This is a warning that significant rainfall is occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system over the gulf of main will track eastward tonight. Snow at times heavy is expected to continue over Northern New Brunswick tapering to flurries by morning. Over southern regions the snow will changed through ice pellets and freezing rain then to rain this evening. Snowfall amounts up to 15 cm are expected over central regions of New Brunswick followed by an extended period of freezing rain this evening and ending after midnight. Total snowfall amounts of up to 30 centimetres are expected over northern regions. Rainfall amounts up to 25 millimeters are expected over the Fundy coast.

Scubafreak
01-27-2012, 23:35
Thanks Heading Out the 29th and can't wait! anyone else with me?

Blaine
01-28-2012, 00:27
Heading out on the 12th. Really excited!

rocketsocks
01-28-2012, 01:16
Congrats to all in there 2012 thru-hike best of luck,ya dirt bag hikertrash hikers.:Dand you ya old boot 69years old..........hikertrash best of luck!;)

miami
02-04-2012, 03:24
Heading out Feb 26th or so... I'm sure the leap year crowd will pass me by. See you on the trail :)

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2012, 13:47
February departure date doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, because of the cold, but I guess if you're going to do it this is the year, seeing how mild the winter is. But then again weather can change on a dime. I just noticed that much of the AT right now is very cold compared to my temps here at home, usually It'd at least be chilly here, but today is near perfect, yet it's chilly to cold up and down the AT.

I also noticed it's in the mid-40's right now in my home town of Oxon Hill, Md. and here it's in the 70's here, that's about a 30 deg difference -- that makes me happy:)

bgood360
02-04-2012, 19:05
Leaving Feb. 29th via the approach trail. Good luck, everyone!

Chia Pet
02-04-2012, 19:31
Arrived in Atlanta, heading out for the trail between thurs and sat following the super bowl. So far the weather looks good for that week.

Sensei
02-04-2012, 20:18
I was a Feb. 20 starter last year and wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck, hikers! I am officially jealous.

BlackJack1
02-05-2012, 04:50
From reading trailjournals, a half dozen or so left Springer on Jan 1st and it looks like at least two of those are still on the trail - and both woman. One just got to NOC and the other is into the Smokies.

I left Jan 1 2012 but came home for my birthday, will head back soon.

The Mighty Tiberious
02-07-2012, 19:07
What is the best way to get from Atlanta to Springer with a stop at REI for fuel and jacket?

Feb 22ish (Thru Hike)
Have not bought my ticket yet.

What is the closest Amtrak gets?

takethisbread
02-07-2012, 20:47
Survivor Dave will stop at REI for you when u get a shuttle from him. Call him. He is in most guidebooks and probably here somewhere.
What is the best way to get from Atlanta to Springer with a stop at REI for fuel and jacket?Feb 22ish (Thru Hike)Have not bought my ticket yet.What is the closest Amtrak gets?