PDA

View Full Version : Need Bag Help

plodder
03-16-2005, 18:51
My back-ordered bag came... No shoulder room for me so it goes back and I start over. Will listen to all opinions. I am allergic to feathers. I will look at anything I can get close to, but the mentality around here is NFNFNF. Anyway, I fit in a Cat's Meow long with extra foot room. I think it's logo priced, but I get lost. I seek servicable, idiot-proof, reasonably-priced stuff. I am in a tent, with full thermarest or short closed cell.

Nearly Normal
03-16-2005, 19:11
Sierra-Designs w/flex option.
pete

TDale
03-16-2005, 20:44
Look over here:

www.outdooroutlet.com

Frosty
03-16-2005, 23:35
My back-ordered bag came... No shoulder room for me so it goes back and I start over. Will listen to all opinions. I am allergic to feathers. I will look at anything I can get close to, but the mentality around here is NFNFNF. Anyway, I fit in a Cat's Meow long with extra foot room. I think it's logo priced, but I get lost. I seek servicable, idiot-proof, reasonably-priced stuff. I am in a tent, with full thermarest or short closed cell.If you need shoulder room and like North Face, try their model named "Mammoth." Lots of shoulder room.

If the bag you want is sold at Campmor, check out thier website. They have specs on all the bags they sell, including shoulder room. It's usually given by a number in low thirties. I have very wide shoulders. 33" is the minimum for me, 35" is better. 32" and I cannot turn inside the bag or move my arms at all.

Sometimes the number is in the 60's. You might think you would merely double the 30's number but you'd be mistaken. It's a conspiracy.

Also, check out Western Mountaineering spec page. Has shoulder/hip/ankle room for all their bags.

plodder
03-17-2005, 05:30
I get frustrated when equal spec different manufacturer equals very different size. It worries me to have so much extra foot space as I am cold-blooded. Even with socks...and hat...

Roland
03-17-2005, 06:13
My back-ordered bag came... No shoulder room for me so it goes back and I start over. Will listen to all opinions. I am allergic to feathers. I will look at anything I can get close to, but the mentality around here is NFNFNF. Anyway, I fit in a Cat's Meow long with extra foot room. I think it's logo priced, but I get lost. I seek servicable, idiot-proof, reasonably-priced stuff. I am in a tent, with full thermarest or short closed cell. plodder,

1. How tall are you?
2. How much do you weigh?
3. Where will you be using this sleeping bag?
4. In what season will you be using this sleeping bag?
5. What is the make/model of the bag you rejected?

You may elicit more useful responses if you provide a bit more information.

Roland

plodder
03-17-2005, 06:28
plodder,

1. How tall are you?
2. How much do you weigh?
3. Where will you be using this sleeping bag?
4. In what season will you be using this sleeping bag?
5. What is the make/model of the bag you rejected?

You may elicit more useful responses if you provide a bit more information.

Roland
6', 155, ME, and points south with Karma, Alps Clearwater thermolite 3LB, 32x80. Long enough. Sleep on back only. Have 0 bag. Have fleece for 50. Thanks!

shades of blue
03-17-2005, 08:29
I'm 6' 210 lbs. I fit in TNF cat's meow, with the extra long length. You probably could do the 6' and still be ok. I have bought a 6' western mountaineering versalite super. It weights about 2lbs, and fits me fine. You have to lay in the mummy style, but i can also lay on my side and curl up, just the bag curls with me. It's a 15 degree bag. You will pay alot more for the Western Mountaineering bag, but you can't beat the weight/warmth ratio. I would really recommend driving a little ways and getting into the various bags yourself. BTW, if you decide on the Cat's meow, I'd be happy to sell mine at a discount (used about 11 times or so).
Shades

Peaks
03-17-2005, 08:32
My back-ordered bag came... No shoulder room for me so it goes back and I start over. Will listen to all opinions. I am allergic to feathers. I will look at anything I can get close to, but the mentality around here is NFNFNF. Anyway, I fit in a Cat's Meow long with extra foot room. I think it's logo priced, but I get lost. I seek servicable, idiot-proof, reasonably-priced stuff. I am in a tent, with full thermarest or short closed cell.

Go to your local outfitter and try on different bags. There is an outfitter in both Bar Harbor and Elsworth.

Jaybird
03-17-2005, 09:38

plodder:

my suggestion would be...go to several local outfitters....look @ the sleeping bag you want....try it out & then go buy it from a DISCOUNTER (Campmor, REI OUTLET, etc.,etc.)! :D

hope to see u out there APR 28-May 20
Hot Springs, NC to Pearisburg,VA

minnesotasmith
03-17-2005, 11:07
Why not get a pair of down booties? REI sells them.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47584242&parent_category_rn=40003531&vcat=REI_SEARCH

They are by Sierra Designs. REI doesn't show the larger sizes, so you may want to go directly to the manufacturer:

www.sierradesigns.com (http://www.sierradesigns.com) (NOT sierra-designs.com)

Likewise, if you have access to someone with sewing capability, using an old sheepskin vest or 3 - 4 layers of a fleece blanket could IMO make a nice set.

plodder
03-17-2005, 12:36
Thanks for advice. Let me tell you about retail in the twillies. The tourists are not here, and choices are very limited. Ellsworth had an old style Pertex bag on display but the box contained Firestorm. Bothered me. I am not real comfortable rolling around in a stores bag to check fit and then ordering it from Campmor. I often have to make 2-3 trips by to buy a $4 jock. Now, for instance they have no butane other than campgaz and zero water filtration hardware. They will cheerfully order anything, but I don't know what I want. I have seen enough NF/LLbean covered loud people that I was hoping some one would say,"I fit in the Cat's Meow but I also fit in xyz." I figure what I get is either gonna get beat or trashed if I ever see a hammock in person. Plod on.