PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment

Hikerj53
01-28-2012, 10:29
Hi All,

Did Springer to Damascas last year using only AquaMira. I pick back up in Damascus in March and am wondering if AquaMira will get me thru to my pick-up point in Duncannon, PA. As I recall, water quality is good thru to Harper's Ferry. It's been a number of years since I've hiked thru MD and PA but I seem to remember water sources for which I was glad to have a filter. So, AquaMira or filter?

Lone Star

Spokes
01-28-2012, 12:55
I always carried two sets, one in an easily reachable outside pack pocket, and a back-up in the bottom of my food bag. AquaMira worked great for me the entire way.

Hikerj53
01-28-2012, 13:15
Spokes,

Thanks for the quick reply. Prefer AquaMira, a lot less weight than a filter.

Lone Star

takethisbread
01-28-2012, 13:52
I use either nothing or or ultraviolet light. Depends on how tired I am.

Snow>TP
01-29-2012, 13:31
I use a couple drops of bleach and couldnt be happier with it. Never clogs and is extremely cheap.

Aquamira does NOT kill giardia but what a lot of new research says is that sharing food could be a more common way of contracting the parasite.

All you need to know about treating water in the back country. (http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Water.htm#Hydr)

brian039
01-29-2012, 15:19
Aquamira does kill giardia, the government just hasn't "officially" approved it for that purpose yet. But yeah, don't share the gorp.

I use a couple drops of bleach and couldnt be happier with it. Never clogs and is extremely cheap.

Aquamira does NOT kill giardia but what a lot of new research says is that sharing food could be a more common way of contracting the parasite.

All you need to know about treating water in the back country. (http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Water.htm#Hydr)

LittleBearK
01-31-2012, 14:11
really looking to pack light, looking to try the aquamira, I have a katadyn filter though, best to leave the filter home?

brian039
01-31-2012, 14:32
really looking to pack light, looking to try the aquamira, I have a katadyn filter though, best to leave the filter home?

The filter is heavier, takes up more space, prone to breaking and freezing up in cold weather, and just overall more of a pain to use. Aqua-mira on the other hand is fail-proof, requires you wait 5 minutes (a little longer on colder days) for the reaction to occur between the two chemicals, pour it into your water, then you get up and start hiking and it's ready to drink in 15-30 minutes depending on the clarity of the water source. Water sources on the AT are silty and will clog your filter fast requiring you to replace your filter often which is expensive. The only place where I kinda felt like it would be nice to have had a filter was in New England where water sources tended to be ponds. But I still used Aqua-mira and was fine.

Spokes
01-31-2012, 16:51
Six of one, half dozen of he other. Folks here like to argue about water treatment options. You'll find most thru hikers use AquaMira. I ditched my filter years ago- too heavy. Learn to use a dip cup and don't act like an elephant at the water source and you won't need to use your sweaty bandana if your afraid of floaties.

Cheers!

bamboo bob
01-31-2012, 17:29
I've used the same Katadyn actually PUR filter for over 10000 miles. A small amount of caution prevents clogging. It weighs more than treatments but is very durable. I don't understand why people have problems with it. I abuse my gear and it works great. If it's too many ounces for you I understand it's not for you.

Joe the Plumber
02-01-2012, 22:04
A couple of drops of bleach for how much water????

swjohnsey
02-02-2012, 09:48
Eight drops per gallon for clear water, sixteen for cloudy water.

lissersmith
02-02-2012, 10:11
I did a section hike in November in Virginia north of Mt. Rogers to Burke's Garden and got into a sitauation at a shelter where there was only a small puddle to get water out of. It would have been impossible to dip water out of it.I have encountered this several other times over the years. It is best to have a filter, as much as I hate to carry one.

Snow>TP
02-02-2012, 11:34
If youre using bleach get the unscented and use about 2 drops a litre. wait 20 minutes or so and smell it. You should be able to smell the faintest bleach scent. If you cannot then add a drop more and wait a little more time.

Papa D
02-02-2012, 12:11

yep - leave it at home (good for a weekend hike or a camping trip near a creek) - not the go-to tool for long distance backpacking in my opinion - others will disagree

Spokes
02-02-2012, 14:16
You may find this chart from the CDC regarding backcountry water treatment helpful.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/drinking/Backcountry_Water_Treatment.pdf

kk1dot3
02-03-2012, 00:31
One of the reasons why I prefer a filter over other chemical treatments (though I don't dislike other treatment options) is so that I instantly have water to drink, no waiting for chemical reactions to kill bacteria, but it also allows me to top off my water bottle along the way instead of having to refill the whole thing. Of course, a little precaution goes a long way in maintaining your gear and making sure the filter doesn't clog. But it really is just a matter of preference. I've cut the weight of my gear in some areas which allows me to carry the heavier filter.

Sensei
02-04-2012, 01:50
I used Aquamira for the first 700-800 miles, then switched to bleach because it was lighter, faster (no mixing), and WAY cheaper. I used 3 drops per liter. Ditto about avoiding the scented varieties as they will make you sick.

birdygal
02-04-2012, 10:38
I plan on filtering my drinking water and boiling my food water

birdygal
02-04-2012, 10:41
I plan on filtering my drinking water and boiling my food water I do carry chemical backup also

wbjdmd
02-04-2012, 17:39
Are the chlorine dioxide tabs in camping section the same as Aqua Mira?

wbjdmd
02-04-2012, 17:43
Are the chlorine dioxide tabs in camping section AT WALMART the same as Aqua Mira?Sorry, left out Walmart on original post!

Sensei
02-04-2012, 20:11
Are the chlorine dioxide tabs in camping section AT WALMART the same as Aqua Mira?Sorry, left out Walmart on original post!

As long as they say "chlorine dioxide" they should be the same thing. I have never used the tabs, but I have heard that they might take longer to be effective and also might be more expensive per dose than the drops. Not positive, though.

ALLEGHENY
02-04-2012, 20:44
I hear about giardia lamblia but what about cryptosporidium? How common is it? How well does your treatment method handle both? what about viruses?