PDA

View Full Version : Down sweater v. Nano puff

dshideler
01-28-2012, 15:39
I just recently a Patagonia Down Sweater and a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover. I can't justify keeping them both and I'm having a hard time deciding which I'll keep. The down sweater is filled with 800 fill down and weighs 12.1 ounces. The nano puff pullover is filled with primaloft one insulation and weighs 10.2 ounces. I kind of like the idea of having the larger front pocket on the pullover and don't mind having to pull it over my head to put it on, but I don't know much about primaloft one insulation. So what I'm wanting is to know what your opinion of which one I should keep is and or your experiences with either one.

STICK
01-28-2012, 16:13
I don't have either one. I have, and have had the Montbell jackets & parkas.

Saying that, it sounds to me like you like the pullover better... plus it is lighter! And from what I understand, primaloft is one of the top dogs when it comes to synthetics... If this is the case I would stick with the pullover.

HiKen2011
01-28-2012, 16:15
I just recently a Patagonia Down Sweater and a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover. I can't justify keeping them both and I'm having a hard time deciding which I'll keep. The down sweater is filled with 800 fill down and weighs 12.1 ounces. The nano puff pullover is filled with primaloft one insulation and weighs 10.2 ounces. I kind of like the idea of having the larger front pocket on the pullover and don't mind having to pull it over my head to put it on, but I don't know much about primaloft one insulation. So what I'm wanting is to know what your opinion of which one I should keep is and or your experiences with either one.

I've got the sweater, keep it. Great product, warm, lighweight and SHOULD be all you need with your base layers.

mirabela
01-28-2012, 16:33
PL One is among the better synthetic down substitutes around. Warm, light, compressible, resists saturation, and warm when damp.

I've got the nanopuff pullover & I love the thing. Very versatile, very light, blah blah blah. I agree with you, having both is basically redundant. The decision rests mostly on preference and on the extent to which moisture is likely to be part of your situation. If this is for Western skiing, the call is going to be different than if it's for an Eastern long distance hike. I live in northern New England & stay busy outdoors all four seasons; I shy away from down.

dshideler
01-28-2012, 16:39
Good info. Thanks.

JAK
01-28-2012, 19:06
I'm not a big fan of down clothing either, but I just scored a 11.6 oz L.L.Bean Goose Down Fill Light Nylon Shell vest for $5.99 at our local thrift store. It had a stuff sack in an inside pocket but I cut that out, but left the pocket. Still not sold on down but I'll have some fun with it for sure. It's a good fit. Large.

JAK
01-28-2012, 19:14
I got a sweater there too. Shetland lambs wool in excellent shape and also a great fit. Also just under 12oz.