PDA

View Full Version : Here's my list... Please critique

Scribbles82
01-28-2012, 21:01
Here is my list of items that I plan on bringing with me on the AT this year. I have included everything down to the nighty-gritty of things. Including a few items that I still believe I need to purchase. I have not included food or water into any of my totals so far and my entire weight including all list below is 38lbs & 3ozs. If there is anyone out there that will be willing to help me cut some of the weight I have down I would be most gratious. Because I don't have that much money to spend alot of my items are a little heavier then I would like. Also on my clothes I can reduce an additonal .5oz due to cutting and removing all tags though that I only have a food scale it is difficult for me to have an accurate weight down to grams so my over all weight is probably 37lbs. Anyways thank you very much and I am looking forward to anyones critique on the following thank you....

611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

1 Short-Sleeve Shirt 4.5oz
Insulated Jacket 16oz
3 Pairs Underware 3oz
1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
1 Pair Sandals 3oz
1 Pair Shoes 25oz
Neosporin 1oz
1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz
Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Army Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad 19oz
Army 30+ Sleeping Bag 35oz
Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz
REI Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack 1oz

Trek Poles Outdoor (Walmart) 32oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Backpack Liner (Trash Bag) 1oz
Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack 57oz
Osprey Medium Backpack Cover 4oz

AT Companion book, Data book,
Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
Fleece Jacket (modifing to weigh less
by removing pockets) 16oz
Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
10 Aluminum Stakes
2 Aluminum Poles
2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
Columbia Titanium Long-Sleeve Shirt 10.5oz
Columbia Omni-Wick Convertible Pants 12.5oz
1 Hankerchief .5oz
Insect Shield OR Gaiters 4.5oz
Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 1.25oz
Polyester Beanie .5oz
Sunglasses 1oz

Clothes Bag (Water Bag Green 1oz) 73.5oz

Champion Under Armour 6.5oz
Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
Western Safety Gloves 2.5oz
Dri-Star 2Pair Nylon/Polyester Socks 2.25oz
Dri-Star Wind Jacket 10.5oz
Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz
Marlin Trading CO. Swim Shorts 7oz
Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
Dri-Star Thermal Bottoms 5.5oz
Dri-Star Under Armour Shirt 4.5oz
Microfiber Short-Sleeve Buttonup Shirt 9.25oz
Polar-Tec Thermal Top 5.5oz
1 Bandana 1oz

Food Bag (Army Green 1oz) 1oz+?

medical/repair bag (red .5oz) 34oz

Medication 7oz
Elastic Wrap, Rolled Gauze, 4 Moleskin
20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz
Nicotine Patches 4oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue, Seam Sealer,
Saftey Pins, 3 Ferrules, 2 Nylon Mesh Patch,
Floor Patch, Ripstop Nylon Patch, Shock Cord,
2 Steel Needles, 2 Thread Spools
50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
50ft Duct Tape 1oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
6 Tums 3oz
Campho-Phenique 1oz
Visine .75oz
Swiss Knife (knife, File,
Scissors, Tweezers, Toothpick)
Fishing line, Whistle, Compass
2 Ear Plugs 1oz
Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
Inhaler 1.5oz
Pain Pills 1oz

Stove Bag (Blue 1oz) 26oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
Sterno Can 8oz
20 Potable Aqua Tabs (Chlorine Dioxide) .25oz
Stove, Pot Stand, Windscreen 2oz
Spoon 1oz
Potable Aqua (Iodine + PA) 2oz
Can Opener .25oz
Matches .25oz
Lighter .25oz
Magneisium and Stricker 3oz

Stove Bag 2 (Grey Blue .5oz) 20.5oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz
35ft Parachute Cord 2.5oz
55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
Steel Cup 5oz

Bathroom/Hygenie (Blue Waterbag 1oz) 42.75oz?

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
Camp Towel 3oz
Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
Wipes 9oz
Floss .5oz?
Deoderant 2.5oz
Toilet Paper 1oz?
Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
Brush 3oz?
Toothpaste 2oz?
Toothbrush 2oz?
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
Chapstick .5oz
Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
Mini Flashlight 1oz
MP3 Charger 3oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
Knife 4.5oz
Insect Repellent 1oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz
Paper Work, ID, BC, SSC 1.5oz

Braclets, Pins, Earrings 2.5oz
Pencils, Eraser, Sharpener,
Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz
2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz
MP3 Player W/Headphones 2.5oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

prain4u
01-29-2012, 03:47
Short answer: You have "Too much".

A bit longer answer: TOO many items. The weight is TOO heavy on many of the items that you have. Basically--you need to lower your QUANTITIES and (if possible on your limited budget) buy some lighter things. What is really killing you is an extra half ounce on an item here--and an extra four ounces on an item there. (When multiplied by dozens of items, this soon equals numerous POUNDS). Your nearly 4 lb pack and nearly 5.5 lb tent system are the biggest "single item" offenders. That is 9+ lbs. By comparison, my pack and shelter COMBINED weigh 3.5 lbs when I pack HEAVY)

HERE IS MY LONGEST ANSWER WITH SOME SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS:

--On clothing, you have at least "one change of clothes" too many on many of your clothing items. Counting what you are wearing--you have: 4 pairs of socks, two bandanas AND a handkerchief, lots of Under Armour and thermal layers. Possibly 4 pairs of underwear. Two pairs of gloves etc.

--Cut down on warm outer layers--insulated jacket AND Fleece AND Wind jacket AND a poncho. Pick just two--(MAYBE three of these four items if planning a cold weather start). You have all of these warm outer layers PLUS 2-3 changes of warm BASE layers. This is WAY too much).

--No need for 2.5 gallon collapsible water bag. I can get by with two 1 liter Gatorade bottles.

--MUCH Needless Duplication. Some examples: Head lamp AND a flashlight, ONE Large camp towel and TWO small camp towels (just one towel is often more than I need), FOUR Carabiners (why four?)

--No need for multiple pencils, a pencil sharpener, a case, and a ruler. Lighten that load. Take ONE lightweight pen. Or ONE pencil sharpened with your knife. No need for the case at that point.

--Far too many "luxury" items. Hackie Sack, MP3 Player. M3 Charger, bracelets, pins and earrings, AT Companion AND Data Book AND Journal. Find ways to cut weight on this (You are carrying 1.25 lbs of books), Can opener (I haven't used one outdoors in the past 30 years)

--Too many toiletries. No need for for all of these: soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, wipes and hand sanitizer. Ditch shampoo, conditioner and maybe deodorant.

--Your First Aid/Medical/Repair kit is better stocked than some ambulances. I would find ways to cut weight there. (You mention mylar sheet in three different places on your list. I could probably construct a tarp--or similar shelter--out of the materials and equipment contained JUST IN YOUR REPAIR KIT!).

--STEEL pot (8 oz) and STEEL cup (6 oz). There are many lighter (and inexpensive) options. Search the Whiteblaze forums.

--Why a stove, two bottles of fuel--AND AN 8 oz. Sterno? Ditch the sterno.

--Why a lighter AND magnesium/striker AND matches? Pick ONE.

--Many people eliminate the trowel altogether and dig holes with a stick or with a tent stake.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2012, 10:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80529-List-of-my-gear...Please-help-me-minimize-it...&p=1245780&highlight=#post1245780

Ironbelly
01-29-2012, 10:21
As already said, in short you just are trying to bring waaaayyy too much. Slim it down a bunch. You want items that are dual purpose ideally. Think of things that you really need and put them in one pile, and then put the 'i want, or i think i need for a backup/emergency etc' in another pile. Then reevaluate.
Here are the things i would ditch if i were you.
-1 pair underwear
-fleece jacket or insulated jacket
I see you have alot of under armor and 2short sleeve shirts, and the columbia l/s shirt. If those underarmors are shirts. You only need 1 dry shirt for camp, and the columbia shirt, everything else is dead weight and useless. Keep your thermal top and bottom, 1 s/s shirt, and the columbia shirt and ditch everything else shirt wise.
-ditch the swim shorts, just use your convertible pants.
Depending on your start date the wind pants may be unneeded as well, i find the columbia pants to cut the wind just fine.
What are the safety gloves?
You probably don't need two spools of thead, and can probably slim down other repair items a little too.
Steel pot is a little heavy. You can pick up a cheap grease pan from kmart, walmart etc and they weigh far less and only cost like 3$
Ditch the sterno, and you can probably ditch 1 fuel bottle as well.
Ditch some of that paracord, thats way too much. Depending on what your planning on using it for, i would only carry about 50ft total and even thats still alot. there are also other cheap altermnatives. About 35ft is usually good for bear bagging, 50 would give you a little extra for other things, but no need for 90ft.
Steel cup- same deal as the pot, many many cheap light alternatives at places like walmart etc
Ditch the trowel, use a stick
Ditch the shampoo and conditioner, just use it in town. If your desperate to get yourself un oily then mix a little wood ash in water to make lye, then use it to clean yourself. Or use your Dr. bronner soap for both, thats what i do. And you only need an oz or 2 of dr. b it goes a really long way.
I would keep the dental floss and ditch all sewing thread and other misc unneeded cordage. Floss is multi use and very strong.
ditch the mini camp towels.
ditch mini flashlight, you already have a headlamp. you'd be better off carrying spare batteries.
You have the mylar sheet in your list twice, may be an error, if its not ditch 1
Only bring 1 knife, ditch either the swiss army or the other one.
7oz ruler?

If its not an essential item and it doesn't serve at least two purposes consider leaving it at home. You will be down close to 20lbs before you know it. all those little items add up.

Some ways to think of how to eliminate items
-dental floss-multi use cordage, you can sew with it, floss with it, tie things together, its a very multi use and strong cordage option in a small light weight package
-duct tape- treat blisters, repair gear, hold things together, wrap an ankle etc. Would allow you to ditch the elastic bandage, and even the moleskin.

Think of items like that and start trimming! Good luck!

mountain squid
01-29-2012, 10:22
Very thorough list. Some observations:

not sure when you are leaving but a 30f bag might not be warm enough
not sure I would remove pockets from fleece jacket
consider leaving lid to backpack
check sternum strap buckle - it might have a whistle
leave wind pants
4 pr socks too many - 3 should be ok - always have one dry pr for camp
check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/) for all your kitchen needs
50 ft para cord should be enough
leave mini flashlight
leave shampoo
leave deoderant
only 3 oz of Dr B's - very sudsy stuff and can double as shampoo
reduce repair kit
3 camp towels?!? - bandana should suffice
data book is superfluous with Companion
bounce hackie sack to HF - you'll be used to walking all day/every day by then
hydration system for drinking on the go
cuticle cutter?!?
2 hand sanitizers?!?
2 knives?!? - swiss army should suffice
leave clippers - use swiss army scissors
leave can opener - swiss army might have one on small screw driver
need sunscreen - no leaves on trees

Concur:
You have way too many things. Some of which will do double duty. Seriously reconsider each item (and its quantities) to further reduce. Maybe seperate into different piles of stuff: required items, luxury items, cant live without items, etc. After reducing post a new list.

As far as clothing goes, Will you ever wear all of it at the same time? - if not, you probably have too much

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Scribbles82
01-29-2012, 10:35
thank you all for the info as far as the pencil collection i'm iffy about because i love to draw and would rather do it then take a picture though will consider dropping the ruler, pencil sharpener and maybe 8 of the 12 pencils because each one is a different kinda of cut for different drawing techniques.... though again thank you and hopefully i will have my overall weight cut in half after reviewing all or your notes and my items... will repost the outcome in a few days.... Also the first set of items under "missing" are items i haven't purchased yet though am planning on and probably will only get a pair of shoes and maybe so crampons instead of the sandals.....

moldy
01-29-2012, 10:51
My opinion is you have too much tent, too much clothing and that entire repair kit section needs to go. Did we see you on the Hoarding show? If you don't toss it now you will be mailing it home be the time you get to Neel's Gap. The lighter you start....the less the damage to your body.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2012, 10:54
thank you all for the info as far as the pencil collection i'm iffy about because i love to draw and would rather do it then take a picture though will consider dropping the ruler, pencil sharpener and maybe 8 of the 12 pencils because each one is a different kinda of cut for different drawing techniques.... though again thank you and hopefully i will have my overall weight cut in half after reviewing all or your notes and my items... will repost the outcome in a few days.... Also the first set of items under "missing" are items i haven't purchased yet though am planning on and probably will only get a pair of shoes and maybe so crampons instead of the sandals.....Unless you're hiking NH and ME during the dead of winter, you won't need crampons. You didn't mention that you were an artist. Keep the pencils and drawing gear. If I remember it is under 1 lb and is obviously a passion. I also draw, so I understand. Some great sketches of the AT will be worth the weight penalty. These are the tough "luxury choices".

grayfox
01-29-2012, 12:56
I agree that your list is long and heavy--think 'backwards' by packing just what you need to get you to your first mail drop. Send what you think you 'might' need to that mail drop and when you get there take what you now know you need and want and send the rest home. Trust me, you will not regret the nearly empty pack for a few days. Just take what you need to stay fed, hydrated, and warm.

I think you should take your drawing stuff--maybe just the harder of the pencils-the softer ones tend to smudge up on drawing that are carried very far without some kind of fixer applied and great care taken to protect them. Never underestimate the value of the things and activities that comfort you in solitude or in company. And take the sharpener as it is very useful for making fine shavings for emergency fire starting!

RockDoc
01-29-2012, 23:46
What month are you starting? February? Good try at the list, but maybe you tried too hard unless you need to stay warm in the dead of Winter. Did I count five shirts?
Hiking the AT is not mountaineering.... you are not so much in the wilderness and the weather can be wet and cold, but is rarely alpine. In fact for many months it will be quite warm and you will hike in shorts and a tee shirt and have little or no use for lots of changes of clothes.

fireneck
01-30-2012, 16:25
Did we see you on the Hoarding show? If you don't toss it now you will be mailing it home be the time you get to Neel's Gap. The lighter you start....the less the damage to your body.

C'mon man, no need to be rude. Yes, this is a heavy load, he asked for a critique, not insults.

Scrabbles you gotta find a much lighter tent, look into Big Agnes' Fly Creek UL1.

Spokes
01-30-2012, 16:29
This list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) contains all the gear you need for a cold weather AT pack. Add a 100 weight fleece (if you want) and trash compactor bag for a liner. Base weight is 16-18 lbs. Trim for summer and go even lighter.

Firefighter503
02-01-2012, 08:35
1. 611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

Insulated Jacket 16oz
3 Pairs Underware 3oz – 2 pairs is enough. Get Exoficios.
1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
1 Pair Sandals 3oz
1 Pair Shoes 25oz
Neosporin 1oz
1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz – what is this for?
Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
by removing pockets) 16oz – You have an insulated jacket listed above.
Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
10 Aluminum Stakes
2 Aluminum Poles
2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
1 Hankerchief .5oz
Polyester Beanie .5oz
Sunglasses 1oz

Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz
Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
1 Bandana 1oz

Medication 7oz
20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz – carry like 5 at most.
Nicotine Patches 4oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue, Seam Sealer, do this before you leave
50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
50ft Duct Tape 1oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
6 Tums 3oz
Campho-Phenique 1oz
Visine .75oz
2 Ear Plugs 1oz
Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
Inhaler 1.5oz
Pain Pills 1oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
Sterno Can 8oz
Spoon 1oz
Can Opener .25oz
Matches .25oz if your lighter runs out of fuel, borrow one and pick up another in town
Lighter .25oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz – just bring one
55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
Steel Cup 5oz – drink out of pot (depending on size of it) up to you.

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
Camp Towel 3oz
Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
Wipes 9oz
Floss .5oz?
Deoderant 2.5oz
Toilet Paper 1oz?
Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
Brush 3oz?
Toothpaste 2oz?
Toothbrush 2oz?
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
Chapstick .5oz
Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz – these are listed more than once I think

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
Mini Flashlight 1oz
MP3 Charger 3oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
Knife 4.5oz – you have a swiss knife, no need for more than that.
Insect Repellent 1oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz – listed more than once

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz – will probably never use.

Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz – maybe bring one, attached to your cord for bear bagging.
2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

Get rid of the stuff in red, or see comments.

Papa D
02-01-2012, 08:43
1. 611oz = 38lbs 3ozs

Missing 56.5oz

Insulated Jacket 16oz
3 Pairs Underware 3oz – 2 pairs is enough. Get Exoficios.
1 Pair Wool Socks 1.5oz
1 Pair Sandals 3oz
1 Pair Shoes 25oz
Neosporin 1oz
1 2.5gallon Collapsoble Bag 1.5oz – what is this for?
Q-Tips 1oz

554.5oz = 34lbs 10.5ozs

Sleeping 57.5oz

Mylar Sleeping Bag 2.5oz

Backpack Etc... 62oz

Journal/Wallet 18oz

Misc on Top 25.5oz

SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
by removing pockets) 16oz – You have an insulated jacket listed above.
Poncho 6oz

Tent Bag 85oz

REI Passanger 2 Tent
REI Passanger 2 Rainfly
10 Aluminum Stakes
2 Aluminum Poles
2 Tie Down Strings

Clothes on Me 36.25oz

1 Bandana 1oz
1 Hankerchief .5oz
Polyester Beanie .5oz
Sunglasses 1oz

Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
Dri-Star Wind Pants 10oz
Dri-Star Thermal Top 5oz
1 Bandana 1oz

Medication 7oz
20 Bandaids in Ziplock Bag 3.25oz – carry like 5 at most.
Nicotine Patches 4oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
Repair Kit - (2 Gorilla Super Glue, Seam Sealer, do this before you leave
50ft Fishing Line) 4oz
50ft Duct Tape 1oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz
6 Tums 3oz
Campho-Phenique 1oz
Visine .75oz
2 Ear Plugs 1oz
Cuticle Cutter 1.5oz
Inhaler 1.5oz
Pain Pills 1oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8oz
Sterno Can 8oz
Spoon 1oz
Can Opener .25oz
Matches .25oz if your lighter runs out of fuel, borrow one and pick up another in town
Lighter .25oz

2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz – just bring one
55ft Parachute Cord 4oz
Steel Cup 5oz – drink out of pot (depending on size of it) up to you.

Trowel W/Bag 4.5oz
Camp Towel 3oz
Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz?
Wipes 9oz
Floss .5oz?
Deoderant 2.5oz
Toilet Paper 1oz?
Dr. Bonner's Soap 6oz?
Brush 3oz?
Toothpaste 2oz?
Toothbrush 2oz?
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
2 Mini Camp Towels 1oz
Chapstick .5oz
Nail Clippers, Tweezers, File .75oz – these are listed more than once I think

Misc 35.5oz

Headlamp 1oz
Mini Flashlight 1oz
MP3 Charger 3oz
Mylar Sheet 1.5oz

Cough Drops 3oz
Knife 4.5oz – you have a swiss knife, no need for more than that.
Insect Repellent 1oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz – listed more than once

Hackie-Sack 1.5oz – will probably never use.

Case, Ruler 7oz

2 Caribiners (Orange) 1.5oz – maybe bring one, attached to your cord for bear bagging.
2 Caribiners (Black) 1oz

Bags 6oz

2 Large Trash Bags 1oz
6 Freezer Bags 2.5oz
6 Sandwich Bags 1.5oz
1 Orange Water Bag 1oz

Get rid of the stuff in red, or see comments.

So, you've got him keeping a compass, 1/2 pound of soap and hand-sanatizer, and a 2-person tent? Good start, but I'd respectfully send this whole concoction back to the kitchen.

Firefighter503
02-01-2012, 09:39
Whoops, didn't see the compass - drop that too. Still don't see the 1/2 lb of soap, and yeah keep the hand sanitizer - just one. Also, the OP stated that he did not have alot of money to spend on new gear. I was simply giving some suggestions based on the 38 lbs before food/water and lack of money. Its not the end of the world if the OP has a little extra room in his tent because he can't afford a new one right now.

TOMP
02-01-2012, 14:43
Its not the end of the world if the OP has a little extra room in his tent because he can't afford a new one right now.

Although the list cleary has room to drop about 10 lbs without buying gear (just by cutting the fat), I think a 5.5 lb tent is just a bad idea. The extra room in the tent isnt what id be concerned about its the weight. You can buy a cheap spitfire for about 80 dollars new with shipping included on amazon or similar eureka product. Not the fanciest tent but they do the job and only weigh in around 3 lbs. Seems like a good investment for 2.5 lbs of savings. Also why is this gear this posted twice?

lemon b
02-01-2012, 15:36
OMG. Skip underware and most of that cloths list. The medical list is a joke. I can't even read that kinda list.

Firefighter503
02-01-2012, 16:05
Although the list cleary has room to drop about 10 lbs without buying gear (just by cutting the fat), I think a 5.5 lb tent is just a bad idea. The extra room in the tent isnt what id be concerned about its the weight. You can buy a cheap spitfire for about 80 dollars new with shipping included on amazon or similar eureka product. Not the fanciest tent but they do the job and only weigh in around 3 lbs. Seems like a good investment for 2.5 lbs of savings. Also why is this gear this posted twice?

Thats what I meant about the tent. Its heavy, but there is plenty of fat to cut first without spending money. I am all for not carrying a 5.5 lb tent, haha.

q-tip
02-01-2012, 16:38
If you are willing to rethink your whole gear list, you will find that you can get a cold weather 3 season base pack weight to 15 lbs. It would require a great leap of faith. My first AT pack weighed 38 lbs with food and water. Today, my cold weather base is 15 lbs, and my summer is 12 lbs. I learned what worked and what didn't over time, but I bought safe, effective light/ultralight gear and after 1,000 mi on the AT in 2010----it was worth every ounce of effort.

Movin'
02-01-2012, 17:33
Echo what has been said already - unless you genuinely don't mind carrying this much weight, you will probably get tired of lugging it all around. I started with almost 40 lbs and was down to around 20 within the first month. For comparison, look at my current gear list here: http://hike.mcdowellcrook.com/.

BaconTime
02-02-2012, 09:49
Wayyyy too much stuff. Do yourself a favor and get rid of most of the clothes, most of the medical and most of the hygenie. If not you will be paying to send it home from Neels Gap.

Sassafras Lass
02-02-2012, 12:48
Without having read anyone else's comments, let me say this: If your weight BEFORE food and water is really 38 lbs, you're in for a miserable hike.

My weight before food/H2O on our thru attempt last spring was sitting around 21-22 lbs, and that was with some stuff I ended up sending home. I absolutely packed a bit "in fear" and in ignorance. This year I'll have about 18.5 lbs of gear - 15.75 actually on my back - and if I had the funds or the inclination to get lighter-weight versions of what I have now, I could shave about 5 lbs off that weight.

There are a lot of resources available to outdoorsmen as far as gear and deals, and I'm dead broke - literally, I'm unemployed at the moment and together hubby and I are so poor that we're getting all our taxes back this year. So if I can do it, I can say with confidence that anyone else can do it; it just comes down to priorities.

So after glancing over your list, here is what I'd do to get you to a comfortable weight.

Sleeping
Don't know when you're starting, but I'd consider a 20 degree bag. I picked up a discontinued GoLite Venture 20 mummy 2 years back for less than $200, it was around 2 lbs on the nose, and worked great. Your best bet would be a down quilt rated for at maximum 20 degrees - you can open it up (footbox and all) for warmer weather and simply wear a hat and balaclava in cooler weather and you'll be good to go.

Backpack
My husband has the Atmos 65 and it fits him like a glove. Until I got my ULA Circuit I'd never tried anything that fit me so well - plus it's only 2 lbs. If your pack fits you like a glove, then by all means stay with it. Otherwise I'd check out the ULA Circuit or Catalyst. Extremely well-made and 100% American, too.

Misc on Top
Is that ball cap cotton? I'd leave it home if it is. I got burnt pretty bad this past spring, so you'll want something - but not cotton.

I also don't see the point of removing pockets from a jacket. I use pockets whenever I get the chance - lip balm, bandanna, trash-on-the-go, etc. Granted, your hipbelt pockets can provide that service, but if you max those out it'll be nice to have more easy access to items.

Tent
Is your tent the Passage 1? It's a bit heavy for 1 person, there are many options go lighter - TarpTent, Mountain Laurel Designs, etc. Check out this page (http://www.wildbackpacker.com/backpacking-gear/articles/the-cottage-industry/) for a listing of non-mainstream manufacturers. Also you're supporting American workers!

Clothing
Now - you have 4.5 lbs of clothes in your clothes bag. That's quite a bit.

What's the difference between a handkerchief and a bandanna? I bring 2 myself - one for misc. duty and one for runny nose/quick wash of the hands.

Swim shorts? For hiking or actually swimming? If you get a pair of lightweight nylon shorts (with a liner) you could hike all day in those without undies and be perfectly comfy.

Don't need 2 pair of gloves, really - bring 1.

Is the 'Champion Under Armour' a bra?

Don't need an extra Under Armour shirt. And what's with the extra button-up?

Don't really need an extra thermal shirt.

Will your wind top/bottom be doubling as rain gear? If not, are you just throwing your poncho over your wind gear on wet, cold days?

Nylon/polyester socks? Toss 'em. Don't need liners with good wool socks and properly fitting shoes. (Didn't see footwear, you're not wearing boots, are you?)

Reduce to 1 pair of underwear

Bring 2 pair of socks (I personally carry 3 for unforeseen days-on-end of rain/gloves if I lose mine)

A poly beanie won't dry and will capture stink - get a wool hat if you want a hat. Also consider adding a balaclava, I won't hike without one.

Gotta go - will resume this later.

Sassafras Lass
02-02-2012, 20:27
(cont.)

Medical/Repair Bag
Almost 2 lbs? Let's see, what can we throw out . . . . . ?

Medication - assuming this is something necessary?

Don't need elastic wrap and rolled gauze - take one or the other, if any at all. I have bad ankles and tried wrapping them, didn't help, and didn't use the gauze for anything else.

Bring 1 super glue, if any at all.

Don't need so many mesh patches - bring 1, if need be.

You really don't need all that fishing line or duct tape - really you don't. I think I've got 15 feet of duct tape on my hiking pole, I've only ever used about 2 feet of it. Fishing line could have a purpose, but you don't need 50 feet of it . . . . unless, of course, you want to supplement your freeze-dried pasta with salmon. :)

If you have cold sores currently, then bring the balm. Otherwise (since it's caused by a form of hepatitis), leave it at home and don't share utensils/dinnerware with others.

Listed fishing line twice . . . . . ?

Now, my cuticles get raggedy too and I have, like, 3 cuticle cutter sticks lying around at home, but I've found that if I cut them while wet and then keep them moisturized frequently over the next few days, they stay clean and minimal. Consider cutting them before you go and then taking extra precaution on the trail to keep them pushed back and hydrated. I personally bring a travel-size of lotion because when my feet dry after hiking in soaked shoes, they become unbearably itchy, so my lotion kills 2 birds with one stone. But I wouldn't take the stick, you'll have your Swiss Army knife if they get too bad, and it's easy to puncture your gear with that stick.

Stove
Bring the can opener if you want, it's only half an ounce - but know that the majority of cans you'll ever use will have a pop top, and a quarter-ounce can opener may not be strong enough to pop a beer or anything of that sort.

You've got your pot, don't bring a cup too, it's not like you can cook 2 things at once anyways.

Don't need 2 fuel bottles - you can refuel very often on the trail. Just bring 1.

Bathroom
Leave the trowel.

But do bring shampoo/conditioner - you will want to remove the greasies after half a dozen days.

Get a smaller bottle of Dr. Bronner's. I had the 2 oz., I believe, and a little goes a long way. Don't bring a 3-month supply off the bat, just bring enough to get you by for a few weeks.

Do the mini towels provide a service that your bandannas cannot?

You've listed Mylar sheet and hand sanitizer previously, unless you're bringing more than one?

I wore post earrings to keep my holes open. Bring 'em. Plus I like to retain a flair of femininity on the trail. ;)

Do you have your items in an Excel sheet? That will help keep you accountable for weights and to make sure you're not doubling up. The basic rule of thumb is, nearly all your gear should have more than 1 purpose. That's one of the biggest keys to going lighter.

Sassafras Lass
02-02-2012, 21:42
Unless you're hiking NH and ME during the dead of winter, you won't need crampons. You didn't mention that you were an artist. Keep the pencils and drawing gear. If I remember it is under 1 lb and is obviously a passion. I also draw, so I understand. Some great sketches of the AT will be worth the weight penalty. These are the tough "luxury choices".

Agree. If my husband would let me I'd be bringing my 5DII and lenses on such a long, dirty trip, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great art of the places I visit is a must, so bring your tools.

Mango
02-02-2012, 22:10
If your Columbia convertible pants have built-in mesh, you can do without underwear. If you are subject to rash, however, take a pair of boxer briefs. UnderArmour and ExOfficio make goods ones.

You won't need 50 ft of duct tape. Wrap a foot or two around the top of your hiking poles, just under the handle. Then put a roll in your bounce box, if you're using one. If not, don't worry. DT is one of the most common items in hiker boxes, hostels, Trail Angels' car trunks, etc.

Good luck - you'll have a great trip.
Mango

Papa D
02-02-2012, 22:18
Echo what has been said already - unless you genuinely don't mind carrying this much weight, you will probably get tired of lugging it all around. I started with almost 40 lbs and was down to around 20 within the first month. For comparison, look at my current gear list here: http://hike.mcdowellcrook.com/.

You have a really great, well thought out rig sir - I think mine is too but yours is in much better presentation form ...

Papa D
02-02-2012, 22:18
Hey - yall think the OP is still on board here?

CoffeeDog
02-04-2012, 05:54
(cont.)

Medical/Repair Bag
Almost 2 lbs? Let's see, what can we throw out . . . . . ?

If you have cold sores currently, then bring the balm. Otherwise (since it's caused by a form of hepatitis), leave it at home and don't share utensils/dinnerware with others.

Don't get him all scared and paranoid! Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus, either type 1 or type 2. At least as far as these symptoms are concerned he has no worries of hepatitis.

CoffeeDog
02-04-2012, 06:01
Agree. If my husband would let me I'd be bringing my 5DII and lenses on such a long, dirty trip, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great art of the places I visit is a must, so bring your tools.

I'm in the same boat. I'd sure like to bring my D700 and a few choice lenses but I've already got enough extra weight built in (or is that built on?). I have to bring a good camera though and am searching for one. Say, maybe you can sneak your Canon into his pack when he's not looking, just before you get on the trail! "Gee honey, I wonder how that ever got in there..." :rolleyes:

earlyriser26
02-04-2012, 06:25
You can get a full sized, double walled 2 person tent, that weights 1.5 - 2.0 lbs less than the one you have. The good news is that you can cut 10 -15 lbs off your load with little thought and little sacrafice.

Wolfie2nd
02-07-2012, 13:40
Check out this site www.backpackinglight.comUse this site to graph out your gear www.geargrams.comYou can check out the community gear list there plus buy light 2nd hand gear on gear swap..

Sassafras Lass
02-10-2012, 17:59
Don't get him all scared and paranoid! Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus, either type 1 or type 2. At least as far as these symptoms are concerned he has no worries of hepatitis.

Whoops! Wrong H. I did indeed mean Herpes.

Tinker
02-10-2012, 18:14
Poncho 6oz

What kind of durable poncho weighs 6 oz? If you have one of those vinyl jobs in a vinyl pouch it won't last a day in near-freezing rain. My poncho is silnylon and weighs 10 oz.

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 09:24
Well I know it has been awhile though i have been out of town and haven't had access to the internet. Though i have taken into consideration all of your advices and have come up with the following so please let me know what else I may do to lower my total pack weight. I have not included food nor water so please take that into consideration.

My current Base Pack Weight is 414.25oz = 25lbs 14.25oz

My new list consist of the following so please critique yet remember my funds are limited and I am working with what I have. If you were to look at my previous list you will see that I have gotten rid of over 10lbs of stuff so far. So anything will help... THank you

Clothes 95.5oz = 5lbs 15.5oz

1 Bandana 1oz
1 Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
Titanium Quick-Dry T-shirt 6oz
Dri-Star Thermal Top 5.25oz
Dri-Star Thermal Bottoms 6oz
1 Pair of Boxers 3oz
Swimming Shorts 7oz
2 Pairs Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 2.25oz
1 Pair Wool Socks 3oz
Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
Water-Proof Insulated Jacket 39oz
Fleece jacket 15.5oz

Tent Bag 82.25oz - 5lbs2.25oz

Bag 2.75oz
REI Passanger 2 Tent 31oz
REI Passanger 2 Rainfly 26.5oz
10 Aluminum Stakes 3.5oz
2 Aluminum Poles w/bag 17oz
2 Tie Down Strings 1.5oz

Sleeping 60.5oz = 3lbs 12.5oz

Army Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad 19.5oz
Army 30+ Sleeping Bag 37oz
Mylar Sleeping Bag 3oz

Backpack 67oz = 4lbs 3oz

2Liter H2O Bladder 6oz

Books 15oz

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Compainion 11oz
Journal 4oz

Repair Kit 2oz

(Gorilla Super Glue, Saftey Pins,1 Ferrules,
2 Nylon Mesh Patch, Floor Patch, Ripstop Nylon Patch,
Shock Cord, 2 Steel Needles, 20ft Fishing Line)

Medical 7.5oz

2 Moleskins, 10 Bandaids, 10 Butterfly Closures,
Small Roll Gauze, Neosporin, Lip Balm 2oz

Inhaler 1.5oz
Deet 1oz
Mini Swiss Knife 1oz
Pain Pills 1oz
Elastic Wrap 1oz

Stove Bag 31oz = 1lb 15oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8.5oz
20 Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets .25oz
Spoon 1.25oz
Potable Aqua Iodine + PA 2oz
Matches .25oz
Lighter .25oz
2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz
Steel Cup 5oz
35ft Parachute Cord 3oz

Bathroom/Hygenie 39.5oz = 2lbs 7.5oz

Camp Towel 3.5oz
Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz
Wipes 9oz
Floss .5oz
Deoderant 2.5oz
Toilet Paper 3oz
Dr. Bonner's Bar Soap 6oz
Brush 2.5oz
Toothpaste 4oz
Toothbrush 1.5oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
Q-Tips 1oz

Misc 14oz

2 S-Biners 1oz
Knife 5oz
Flashlight 2.5oz
Misc 5.5oz

Now Here is a list of Clothes that I will be wearing on me and are not included in my base weight.

48.75oz = 3lbs .75oz

Sunglasses 1oz
1 Bandana 1oz
SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
1 Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
Champion T-Shirt 6.5oz

1 Pair of Boxers 3oz
1 Pair Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 1.25oz
Insect Shield OR Gaiters 5oz

Trek Poles 24oz = 1lb 8oz

*Trek Poles Outdoor (Walmart) 22.5oz
*Duct Tape 1.5oz

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 09:27
Also I am still on the look out for a lighter stove so if you have any ideals where I can get one for cheap please let me know. Also i have not included my shoes nor sandals into any of the weights so far nor water bottles because I intend on just using gatorade bottles .

Again thank you all for all of your advice..

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 09:29
Yes the 6oz one I have is also silnylon though I have decieded not to use it and instead will be using my jacket which is insulated and waterproof even though it is a whooping 39oz it has given me the opportunity to discard 3 of my previous items.

Tinker
02-13-2012, 00:09
Water-Proof Insulated Jacket 39oz

Just my opinion, but a waterproof, insulated jacket is likely to have soggy insulation in short order if you hike in it and are overheated. The best solution for cold weather hiking I've found is a waterproof jacket over fleece. Just about any waterproof jacket will work, but ventilation makes it work better. All of the so-called "waterproof/breathable" garments I've tried (most of them) are only very, very (and maybe very) slightly breathable, and only noticeable in that you don't get sweaty while sitting around, or in that you don't feel quite AS sweaty while hiking.
Having a separate garment underneath your rain gear allows you to dry it relatively. Fleece, though somewhat heavy and bulky, is the only insulation that allows drying air to blow right THROUGH it so it dries very quickly, and you can ring the snot out of it without worrying about tearing fragile fabric or insulation and put it back on nearly dry.

Tinker
02-13-2012, 00:11
Posted to wrong thread