PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Trail wants your help in building trail this spring

Bass
03-16-2005, 19:33
The Cumberland Trail Conference is sponsoring the 3rd annual Big Dig just north of Chattanooga, Tennessee from May 22nd to June 25th. This year's Big Dig will continue the trailbuilding from last year's Big Dig.

CTC provides air conditioned housing, bunk beds, hot showers, all meals, transportation to and from trailbuilding, and an experience you will always treasure. They also have a nice camping area on Chickamauga Lake if you prefer to camp. They even train you on trailbuilding techniques. Tennessee State Parks provides evening entertainment and a square dance every Friday night. It is all free, except that trailbuilding is hard work!

CTC encourages people to sign up so they can plan housing and transportation. There is an online sign up at:

http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/bigdig.html

Most people sign up for only one or two days first, then sign up for more once they see how much fun it is. Last year, several people stayed the entire 5 weeks. You get to meet and talk to a lot of hikers from all over the world. People of all ages participate, and families with older children were often there on weekends.

They plan for 100 plus trailbuilders, but last year there were seldom more that 80 on any particular day. So the CTC is trying harder this year to get the word out so more people will help.

I was there last year and plan to be there all 5 weeks again this year. It is a lot of fun. Look me up. I will be camping by the lake again in my van.

MOWGLI
03-16-2005, 20:25
The Cumberland Trail Conference is sponsoring the 3rd annual Big Dig just north of Chattanooga, Tennessee from May 22nd to June 25th. This year's Big Dig will continue the trailbuilding from last year's Big Dig.

CTC provides air conditioned housing, bunk beds, hot showers, all meals, transportation to and from trailbuilding, and an experience you will always treasure. They also have a nice camping area on Chickamauga Lake if you prefer to camp. They even train you on trailbuilding techniques. Tennessee State Parks provides evening entertainment and a square dance every Friday night. It is all free, except that trailbuilding is hard work!

CTC encourages people to sign up so they can plan housing and transportation. There is an online sign up at:

Most people sign up for only one or two days first, then sign up for more once they see how much fun it is. Last year, several people stayed the entire 5 weeks. You get to meet and talk to a lot of hikers from all over the world. People of all ages participate, and families with older children were often there on weekends.

They plan for 100 plus trailbuilders, but last year there were seldom more that 80 on any particular day. So the CTC is trying harder this year to get the word out so more people will help.

I was there last year and plan to be there all 5 weeks again this year. It is a lot of fun. Look me up. I will be camping by the lake again in my van.

Fellow hikers, this program is cooler than the other side of the pillow. I was hanging out with Seth, one of the former trail bosses (and banjo player) today here in Chattanooga. Last Friday I was up at the Dogwood Camp talking to some volunteers and listening to some great live bluegrass. Seth's band was entertaining the volunteers, and they were GREAT.

The camp is right on the lake, and makes for great swimming, paddling or fishing after a day of trail work. I hope I get to see some of y'all out on the Cumberland Trail this year! I guarantee you'll have a fun & rewarding time along the Cumberland Trail. Come on down!

neo
03-16-2005, 21:14
i was at the big dig 2003 and big dig 2004,i will be at the big dig 2005:cool: neo

hikin' trailmule
03-18-2005, 22:01
Hikers, THIS IS IT!! Your chance to give back for all the trails you've hiked over the years. I just got back from 3 days of trailbuilding (I was on Bass' crew yesterday). We finally finished the Possum Creek segment:clap - all it needs is a suspension bridge to cross the Big Possum Creek, and the entire segment can be thru hiked- 10 beautiful miles, including 2 waterfalls! It can be crossed now, if you have your watershoes - there will be some wading required until the bridge is in.

I was also up there Friday, and Mowgli speaks the truth when he says Seth's band is where it's at. All at the square dance were havin' a blast:dance I'm sure they can be coerced to come back to play a couple of Fridys during the Big Dig. Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with Mowgli , but I'm sure I'll catch up with him at the Big Dig in May.

neo
03-18-2005, 22:26
yeah seth,s crew are usually into the big rock movement scene,i worked on big dig 2003 and 2004,i will be their for big dig 2005 in early june:cool: neo

David S.
03-19-2005, 00:29
I plan on participating this year and bringing a friend along that also is very interested. This would be a first for me. I know its hard work but I wanna get this trail DONE! I am really looking forward to when this trail is completed. I think it has the potential to be one of the most beautifull trails in the states. I especially like the personality that the many canyons, waterfalls, and high bluffs create. Its a sort of ruggedness combined with a certain southern charm thats hard to put a finger on. All I know is that I have really enjoyed the few sections I have hiked on so far.
I am no thru hiker but I would love to thru hike this trail when it is complete.
I think its going to be one gem of a trail. Shhhh...don't tell nobody.
David S.

Bjorkin
03-19-2005, 14:07
I was in the Brentwood, TN REI store a few weeks ago and ran into Jeffrey Hunter who runs the Southern Appalachians Initiative (http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/sai.html) which is part of the AHS (American Hiking Society).

He is very involved with the Cumberland Trail and said it was much much different than AT terrain and features and went on about how beautiful it was. He urged everyone to join in this summer and said it's a blast. I'll be there this summer.

Doctari
03-19-2005, 14:42
Sounds like a chance for a White Blaze Meeting.

I shall check my schedule (& finances :( ) hope to be able to do a few days.

Looks at first glance that May 27, 28, 29 are free for me. But I'm flexable :D

Bass
03-23-2005, 07:41
Soddy Gorge is beautiful!

This week BreakAway is working along the Soddy escarpment. The escarpment looks down upon the Tennessee Valley and Tennessee River. Spectacular views! The Big Dig will pick up trailbuilding where we leave off this week, so the first week or so of Big Dig will continue along the escarpment, before dropping back down into the gorges. I recommend that you sign up early in the Big Dig so you'll get to work on the 3 to 4 mile escarpment. We'll have a little over a mile of it done this week.

The Soddy Gorge Segment is roughly 14 miles long. BreakAway will complete approximately 2 miles by Friday, and a little over a mile was done last year.

http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/soddy.html

hikin' trailmule
03-26-2005, 11:54
Folks, it's O-fishal- the Spring Breakaway program is over- helped the last of 'em pack out this a.m.- I was part of a team that got the trail wheeled yesterday to measure our progress over the past month :jump (in addition to blazing the newly completed portions)- Over 1 1/3 mile progress in the Soddy Creek segment (including trail along the ridge with breathtaking views of the TN River), and 1 1/4 mile progress in the Possum Creek segment. It can now be through hiked with a couple of creek crossings that can be forded easlily enough if you have your water shoes or Tevas. Work will continue on the Soddy Creek segment during the Big Dig this spring. Help at all levels will be welcome:welcome and appreciated :) . CHECK IT OUT!!!

restless
03-29-2005, 11:35
I was going to post a thread pertaining to the Big Dig and somebody beat me to the punch. I'm working as a Trail Boss for the CTC this year and we just wrapped up our 10th annual Alternative Spring Break. We had close to 400 volunteers and students helping out and a fantastic time was had by all. I am definitely looking forward to meeting some of you at this years Big Dig as well as working with you.

Bass
05-07-2005, 08:08
The Big Dig starts in two weeks! I understand that lots of people have signed up for the first and second week so far. The first week or two will be trailbuilding along the escarpment, with the spectacular views overlooking the Tennessee Valley and a number of beautiful waterfalls. A number of wildflowers will be at their peak, so be sure to bring your camera.

Then volunteers will start building the long descent into the Soddy Gorge. It will be cooler, but the hikes in and the trailbuilding will be more challenging. As June warms and the trail nears the cool and inviting waters of Soddy Creek, volunteers will want to soak their feet in the clear COLD water or take a dip in one of the swimming holes before returning to the Dogwood Camp in the early afternoon.

Hope to see you there!

neo
05-07-2005, 13:24
i will be there june 4,5,6,7 this year,i particpated in big dig 2003 and 2004
:cool: neo

hikin' trailmule
05-16-2005, 18:59
Soakin' my tired dogs in the creek at the end of the day sounds like a blast, Bass. Y'all know you can count me in for at least a coupla days a week- I'm already lickin' my chops for some of Ms. Betty's home cookin'!

TakeABreak
05-16-2005, 21:03
Sorry guys and gals, but the way things are right I can not make it, maybe next year. If things change I will pop in for a few days.

MOWGLI
05-26-2005, 11:34
Well, I was up at the Big Dig camp yesterday. I was hanging out with the volunteers and listening to some bluegrass music. Afterwards I tossed a line in the lake for a bit.

Anyone who might have a couple of days to help build trail in Tennessee between now and June 25, here is a photo of the sweet camping area and the swimming area; http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7370/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Participants can also stay in a bunkbed inside, but camping down by the lake is pretty nice!

Jeffrey Hunter

Bass
05-31-2005, 11:44

The first week of Big Dig has been great! Very cool mornings and nice hiking and trailbuilding weather. The rhododendrens AND mountain laurel along the trail are blooming. Lady slippers are also blooming and abundant along the section we are building. The rangers also showed us some very rare and endangered large-flowered skullcap (Scutellaria montana) in full bloom not too far from the trail.

The weather has been cool and dry - perfect trailbuilding and hiking in and out weather.

I got lots of great wildflower pictures, but no overlook pictures so far. I think it will be late this week before we get to the escarpment overlooks.

It has been a little cool for swimming at the end of the day, so we've had a daily volleyball game. (We get off the trail by 3:00pm, and back to camp by 3:30. It doesn't get dark til 7:30.) The food has been even better than last year.

MOWGLI
05-31-2005, 12:09
The rangers also showed us some very rare and endangered large-flowered skullcap (Scutellaria montana) in full bloom not too far from the trail.

Here is a link to a photo of the Large Flowered Skullcap. I took the shot last night in the Tennessee River Gorge.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7519/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

David S.
06-01-2005, 23:55
Today I returned home from my time working on the trail. I had volunteered for 3 days but we got rained out today. It was a bit disappointing not to get to go out. I have never done any sort of trail work before so I did not know what to expect. I have never even considered myself a person with a good work ethic...sometimes I feel downright lazy. I was a bit intimidated by the thought of doing backbreaking labor and getting dirty and sweaty...yet something in me thought it might be good for me.
After two days of work, I must say that, although the work is hard, dirty, slow and sometimes awkward and tedious, it was I think the most satisfying work I have ever done. There is something intensely satisfying to go into an area with no trail and then walk out on trail you and 50 or so others have built. When everyone does his or her little part, it’s inspiring when it all comes together at the end of the day and you get to walk out and admire everyone’s craftsmanship.
One group was working on what looked to me to be a very awkward and difficult section about 15 feet in length. At the end of the day it was artfully all put together in such quality and workmanship...those volunteers were very proud of what they had accomplished you could tell.
I am afraid that this trail making stuff may have gotten into my blood over the past two days. (Though the section we were working on was not extremely technical...mostly just basic side hill cutting. We were also blessed with cooler weather. My attitude might change if the weather turns hot and the terrain more challenging...we'll see... :) ) I am now looking at my calendar to see when I might be able to return in the next 3 weeks of the Big Dig.

If you have debated ever doing any sort of trail work, I recommend you try it. You might like it. I'm sure it’s not for everyone but you might be surprised. I was. For me, so far I find it very rewarding and satisfying. The exercise itself comes with its own set of benefits.

Pencil Pusher
06-02-2005, 01:50
No doubt. I've done ten days this year with the local Washington Trails Association and for someone that sits on his butt all day, hard work feels good! Not to mention I never fully realized the amount of effort and work that goes into maintaining already existing trails. Now I just do what they tell me to and try and not get killed in the process, but it sure has been fun. From wielding the pulaski chopping things to smithereens, using the grub hoe to pound rebar or tall nails, carrying rocks like there is no tomorrow... fun stuff. Plus most of the regulars are old timers with a good sense of humor and good stories to tell. Heck, I even got to work on building a bridge across a creek (for whatever reason it's pronounced crick here) strong enough for horses. No easy task picking up these 18-inch diameter, 20 foot logs on one end and dragging them down and across sills we'd dug out and put in place prior. But vastly entertaining and educational to watch as the day progressed.

hikin' trailmule
06-06-2005, 08:32
Spent the weekend Big Diggin' it- took possesion of the wheel yesterday and measured- just over 5 miles are now hikeable in the Soddy segment! :clap There are a few areas that need some finishing, but it is now blazed. I'm told that there is a waterfall just ahead of where the crew is now working, so I'll be back to check it out on Thursday. Lunch by the waterfall sounds mighty fine to me!

Bass
06-09-2005, 07:11
This is the biggest and best Big Dig ever! The first two weeks were cool and dry, with trillian, lady slippers, mountain laurel, and rhododendrun in full bloom lining the trail we are building. An area of numerous rare and endangered skullcap in full bloom was located approximately 200 foot off the trail and the rangers showed us this protected area and many volunteers took pictures. I don't know how many miles we have built so far, but it has been great trailbuilding.

This week it has been warmer, and the wildflowers are past their peak. Fallen rhododendrum blossoms line the recently build trail that we hike in on in the morning and out on in the afternoon. We are building the trail along the clear and cold Board Camp Creek just above upstream of the old strip mine area and we have been taking lunch and breaks at the water's edge. The swimming holes are looking more tempting as the day warms.

We will soon climb away from the creek and get to the old strip mine area, and just past that, descend again into the canyon, and arrive at creeks edge at a beautiful waterfall. The gorge is getting deeper as we build away from our starting point along highway 111. The next climb up will bring us to the great overlooks as the gorge turns directly east. Views of the Tennessee Valley will be spectacular.

The last few days most everyone has hit the lake as soon as we arrived back at camp. The lake water is still on the cool side, but not nearly as cool as Board Camp Creek.

Come join us if you can. Read about the Big Dig at http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/bigdig.html.

hikin' trailmule
06-20-2005, 12:03
Startng the countdown on the last week- if you haven't been out yet, don't miss out! The hike in has just been shortened, the humidity is much less this week than it has been, the views coming up in the near future are well worth the hike in. Hop to see more of you out there later this week!

MOWGLI
06-20-2005, 20:38
I took my 15 year old daughter up there last Tuesday night. We camped out by the lake and she worked on Wednesday & Thursday. I headed back to the office on Wednesday morning, as I have my hands full with a few projects.

She agreed to go to Big Dig the week before, but when it came down to it - she had second thoughts. I could understand - cause when I was 15, there is no way I would have wanted to try something new in a place where I basically didn't know anyone. As we were leaving home to go to Big Dig, she was nearly in tears and pretty upset.

I agreed to come and pick her up on Wednesday night if she didn't enjoy herself. Well.. I went up there Wednesday night to bring her a towel, and she greeted me with "what are you doing here?" I said, "I'm bringing you the towel that I promised, and I also wanted to make sure that you didn't want to come home." She looked at me and said "Mmmmm, I think I'll stay." Shen then gave me a big hug in front of her new friends! If anyone has teenagers, you know this is BIG.

On Thursday night when I went to pick her up, she seemed genuinely sad to be leaving. I don't know how much the CTC gained by having her up there, but I know that she gained a lot by being there. She even described to me how she picked three ticks off of herself. I'm thinking, "this is my daughter?"

Big Dig ends on Saturday, so if you've got some time to get over there - by yourself, or with your teenager, I'd be willing to bet it is one of the highlights of your summer. In fact, I'll offer a money back guarantee with that statement!

I'll be there on Tuesday (tomorrow morning). The vans leave for the trail at 7 AM. http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/bigdig.html

Jeffrey Hunter

smokymtnsteve
06-20-2005, 20:42
send a few folks up here to AK to jeffery as we had a tremendous storm and it wshed a section of my trail out..so I've been throwing rock and dragging timber up on the side of this Mtn...had to so I could get myself to town...still in rough shape but passable....be glad when winter gets here, I can just pack a nice smooth ice trail...

MOWGLI
06-24-2005, 18:40
Check out my BLOG at the link below for a handful of Big Dig photos from Tuesday June 21. Man, the area was beautiful!!! Also, please checkout the CTC website to learn more about opportunities to help build trail in the fall. http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/act.html