PDA

View Full Version : favorite breakfast

Tutti
01-29-2012, 12:03
Just trying to find different option for easy breakfast food. I usually eat the instant oat meals and cereal and I feel the need for something different. Needs to be something easy that requires no more than just adding hot water since I carry a limited cooking ware supply. Mind sharing some of favorites?
Thank you!
Tutti

dshideler
01-29-2012, 12:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71216

bamboo bob
01-29-2012, 12:37
I have tried all sorts of things. But I have settled on cereal. I buy a regular box of whatever cereal I feel like eating and take out and pack the bag of cereal and eat it dry by the handful. Fast quick and lasts 4-6 days depending on how I want to stretch it out. Eat pack up and go. Banana nut is my favorite. Especially Bear Naked brand. :)

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2012, 12:47
Two hard boiled eggs with a salt packet taped to the side - string cheese etc,

PaperCrane
01-29-2012, 13:16
Cheese grits with black beans and some salsa.

01-29-2012, 13:24
I read all the responses and did not see sausage and gravy with plain bagels. The sausage packets each last 3-4 days and have tons of flavor, pepper or sausage. bagel cleans the pan so no clean up. Of course 16 oz of coffee is a must. coffee must be black and not see through. If it is real cold its a pop tart and get moving then an oatmeal cream pie. I do not like cleaning up after breakfest. I want to eat and go. Many times I get up pack hike 2-3 miles then stop at a nice spot and cook breakfest. Oatmeal is so heavy, and it really got old quick.

daddytwosticks
01-29-2012, 14:28
My favorite breakfast on the trail: fried apple pie (Krispy Kream) and a hard boiled egg. A blueberry Nutri-grain about 2 hours later. :)

Rocket Jones
01-29-2012, 18:58
Instant rice, dried milk, cinnamon and raisins or dried apples. Add hot water and you've got rice pudding.

johnnybgood
01-29-2012, 19:49
Cold breakfast : Bagels,the flat ones,with strawberry Jam. Hot breakfast : Mountain House eggs with bacon.

lemon b
01-29-2012, 20:31
When i'm hauling it it's lima beans and slim jim type of mix. That said mainly down south someone shows up witb a fry pan. Bacon. deer sausage, eggs. potatoes. That kinda hook up is to me unreal magic. Almost makes me think I should carry some kinda frypan. But I can't see myself ligging that equipment.

Abner
01-29-2012, 21:26
I bring along a couple of eggs. Perhaps already cracked in a nalgene. Now this is not my daily breakfast---this is my favorite breakfast. I take a raw egg or two combine with a bit of milk. (yes I haul this). I take out a couple pieces of bread. Of course they are smashed, but it's ok. I dunk the bread in the egg and milk mixture. I fry it in my titanium skillet. I have a vial of syrup. And if I get really fancy, I'm carrying a small supply of cinnamon. And then I sit down, or stand up more likely, and enjoy my french toast. No this is not ultralight, and yes it's about once a week. And it's just about my favorite breakfast.

Papa D
01-29-2012, 21:30
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png
other breakfast ideas include:

Simple:
protein shake - pre-add powdered milk and mix with water
Carnation instant breakfast or Ovalteen
Cliff Bars (or some other bar)
instant cream of wheat, grits
bagels with a little butter or margarine or spreadable cream cheese (lasts a few days)
Oatmeal with almond butter - pretty much the staple

Medium

pancakes
powdered eggs
cheese grits - not instant

Elaborate:
cheese biscuits - bisquick, water, cut up block cheese - fry in Banks FryBake with oil
Powdered egg omelets with dehydrated mushrooms and cheese
Beignets with powdered sugar - get the cafe DuMonde Mix and don't forget the powdered sugar and a sifter - clean up well - use liquid fuel bottle as rolling pin

Over the top
I usually do this the night before in a Banks FryBake -- wouldn't carry that thing long distance but for 20 or 30 miles, what the heck:

Make Carrot Cake mix with powdered milk and dehydrated eggs and cook on hot campfire coals in Banks FryBake - careful not too hot - you can scorch it -
you need to put it in the coals and pile some coals on the lid so it cooks evenly. Put big rock on top of it for the night to keep mice out.
In the morning, make homemade cream cheese icing to top it with - really a stellar trail breakfast - I obviously don't do it much.

Everything above naturally served with coffee except for the beignets which are served with coffee and chicory.:cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14977&d=1327288411&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14977&d=1327288411) frybake - Ruth Glacier Alaska - climbing the ice route "Shaken, not Stirred"

CrumbSnatcher
01-29-2012, 21:43
i used to love the pastry swirls that poptarts sold for a few years before they discontinued them :-(

OldFeet
01-30-2012, 09:19
Not a big breakfast person here but for last year's section hike I tried Packit Gourmet's fruit smoothies and thought they were great. 420 calories and you just add cold water and they go down easy.

fiddlehead
01-30-2012, 09:46
Bear claws for the first few days. Then pop tarts. (Nutella on bread in a pinch)
with coffee of course.

plockard
01-30-2012, 11:06
Oatmeal does get old - but I tried sprucing it up a bit.
Prior to heading out on the trail I prepared breakfast in 1qt size ziplock bags. 1 for each morning.

1cup regular, old fashioned rolled oats
3tblsp Nido (powered milk) high fat content and tastes great
1tblsp brown sugar
handful of each depending on your likes - dried fruit(cranberries, raisins, banana chips, pecans, walnuts, apple, apricot)

To prevent having to slow cook the oats over a camp stove which takes time and fuel, I boil a pot of water and then add 1 1/2 cups to the mixture while still in the ziplock bag. Insert the bag into my canteen cup to hold and prevent spilling. Zip bag but leave air space to allow for steam to condense without popping the seal open.
Let mixture stand for 10-15 minutes while I take down the tent and roll my sleeping bag.

When ready to eat may need to add a little more (still hot water) to dilute to preferred consistency.
Leave mixture in ziplock, and eat using canteen cup to hold. this prevents having to wash dishes other than spoon.

A weeks worth of breakfasts does add weight, but its just as heavy in your belly, and will last until lunch stop.

Gray Blazer
01-30-2012, 11:09
Bear claws for the first few days. Then pop tarts. (Nutella on bread in a pinch)
with coffee of course.

Old school

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2012, 14:05
Bacon cheese grits. With more bacon. And cheese.

Bags4266
02-01-2012, 14:09
I put my cereal in a baggy w/ instant milk all I do is add some cool water in the morning, shake and eat. Its better than dry!!

Rocket Jones
02-07-2012, 07:10
Ok, I was experimenting last weekend and now have a new favorite breakfast. Quinoa, chopped almonds, dried cherries and a bit of brown sugar. You can add milk if you'd like.

Quinoa dehydrates nicely after cooking, making this a great FBC option. Can be eaten hot or cold too.

takethisbread
02-07-2012, 07:53
Pbj sandwich. Im gone

RadioFreq
02-07-2012, 18:48
Spam singles for breakfast. Nuff said.

BrianLe
02-08-2012, 11:33
Same things I eat for lunch --- jerky, trail bar(s), dried fruit, gorp, crystal light packet in a gatorade bottle. Eat as much or as little of that on awakening as I'm inclined, then pack up and then optionally continue to munch while walking. No fuss, no muss, minimal time spent refueling the body. But then definitely go for the big breakfast in a restaurant when next in town! :-)

Berserker
02-08-2012, 14:15
I used to do grits and Mountainhouse eggs, or instant oatmeal. Cooking was slowing me down, and goodness knows it takes me forever to get ready in the morning. So to speed things up I recently started carrying Bob's Red Mill 5 grain cereal and just eating it raw (uncooked). It was a little wierd at first, but I've gotten used to eating in like that and now I eat it raw for breakfast all the time. My wife likes to joke that I'm turning into a horse. She asked me the other day if I have a drawer on my desk at work that has a small trough in it for me to eat out of :)

Spokes
02-08-2012, 15:39
A Rice Krispy Treat and a Snicker Bar (the original power bar) washed down with some green tea always got me by till lunch.

rocketsocks
02-08-2012, 15:45
Sliced "Oranges" cuts through that early mourning blah in your mouth.

Drybones
02-08-2012, 16:43
I like scrambled eggs, country ham, biscuits & gravy, hash browns, and coffee...if there's a Cracker Barrel nearby...otherwise cereal and dry milk in a zip lock bag after being on the trail for a couple of hours.

woodbooger
03-12-2012, 11:17
Dried fruit in the oatmeal is nice, I also mix in peanut butter and/or honey into my oatmeal.

Farr Away
03-12-2012, 14:01
Favorite breakfast - chopped dried apples with some crumbled graham crackers, brown sugar, a little dry milk and cinnamon. Just add hot water and cozy it while you make the coffee.

Usual breakfast - Quaker breakfast bar with a cup of coffee.

k2basecamp
03-12-2012, 14:46
I agree, get up, pack up, hike 2 miles than find a nice spot for breakfast. I like lucky charms, magic stars with powdered milke and a nice warm cup of hot cocoa followed by a couple of tablespoons of chunky peanut butter. carnation powdered milk is great with ice cold water.

trapper
03-12-2012, 21:33
Cheese grits with black beans and some salsa.

Dam that sounds nasty........ and ill eat anything

BigRing
03-13-2012, 20:08
Some of my favorite breakfast menu items include:
Toasted bagel with a slice of sharp cheddar, and fried egg.
Precooked Sausage with cheese grits.
Dried beef and gravy....clean it up with a biscuit.

Danl
03-13-2012, 20:10
Oatmeal with almot anything added

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 21:05
Damn glad you didn't call me "OLD SCHULLE"

trucker2015
03-13-2012, 22:39
home made Pumpkin bread (eat it cold or warm it up next to a fire) and a cup of hot chocolate.

jdg
03-14-2012, 16:43
i frosted strawberry poptarts

chrisoc
03-16-2012, 10:05
Does anyone carry Citadel Spread?

kayak karl
03-16-2012, 10:52
instant grits with an egg, chopped spam (or ham), cheese and a bagel on the side w/peanut butter. washed down with 16 oz water, instant milk, powdered chocolate drink mix, 2 tsp instant coffee and two sugars.

max patch
03-16-2012, 11:06
Does anyone carry Citadel Spread?

I did til about 20 years ago.

rocketsocks
03-20-2012, 07:25
One of my early morning eye opening heart pumping Breakfasts is a tall glass of V-8 with an extra long "Slim Jim" for a swizzle stick....celery if ya got it,horse radish,but the"slim jim" is key.;)

takethisbread
03-20-2012, 08:04
Crackers and cheese. Wheat thins specifically. Two miles or so up the trail in a warm sunny spot.

rocketsocks
03-20-2012, 16:23
Crackers and cheese. Wheat thins specifically. Two miles or so up the trail in a warm sunny spot.I like fresh baked bread,while sitting on the loading dock behind the bakery.;)Take this bread,you ever had that as a kid.:eek:

Pathfinder1
03-20-2012, 20:00
Inch thich bacon steak(s)...pre-cooked and pre-sliced. The hot or cold beverage...or instant cocoa mix...eaten dry...it tastes good...!! Followed by cold drink. Hard boiled eggs are also good.

Or pemmican, made with ground beef jerkey, bacon pieces, raisens and honey. Followed by cold drink.

Minimum fuss...maximum LNT.

sheepdog
03-20-2012, 21:03
The quadruple bypass special at Cracker Barrel.

robinayress
03-23-2012, 03:02
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Holiday---Celebration-Recipes/Mother-s-Day-Recipes/Top-10-Easy-Breakfast-Recipes

Big Dawg
03-23-2012, 04:39
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Holiday---Celebration-Recipes/Mother-s-Day-Recipes/Top-10-Easy-Breakfast-Recipes

spam alert....

mrcoffeect
03-23-2012, 13:27
fried spam with wild blueberry pancakes topped with wild blueberry syrup and a little powdered sugar on top. Im not a huge fan of spam, I call it "smeat" but it puts grease in the pan so pancakes dont stick, sometimes i fry up a couple slices of pepperoni instead, pick enough berries to fill one hand,put one quarter into batter. i Take remaining berries put in my ti mug and two teaspoons sugar and one teaspoon water and simmer hard for about three min, thats all there is to make the syrup THAT is my favorite

Odd Man Out
03-24-2012, 00:29
Without milk: Quaker Oat Squares - greatest breakfast cereal ever.
With milk: Grape Nuts - The other greatest breakfast cereal ever.
Plus anything with real maple syrup (not the fake stuff).

RockDoc
03-24-2012, 00:57
Instant grits and bangers.

BTW on the trail "bangers" are sliced up Slim Jims.

LovingCooking
03-25-2012, 09:13
I quite like doing the beef jerky thing. Just make sure you have plenty of water. It is great for giving your body some extra protein to get you through the day and is great tasting too.

joniyy
03-27-2012, 09:06
my favorite breakfast is milk

Farr Away
03-29-2012, 09:43
spam alert....

The recipes don't appear to be very hiking friendly, but the link seems okay.

Odd Man Out
04-10-2012, 11:28
fried spam with wild blueberry pancakes topped with wild blueberry syrup and a little powdered sugar on top...

Another span alert needed? :rolleyes:

off-pher
04-10-2012, 17:36
WAFFLE HOUSE ham&cheese omelette with grits and toast.

Slo-go'en
04-10-2012, 20:33
I would love to eat a stack of pancakes, dripping with 100% pure NH Maple syrup, every day on the trail. But alas, I usually have to settle for a Honey bun.

Wise Old Owl
04-10-2012, 21:00
Ok, I was experimenting last weekend and now have a new favorite breakfast. Quinoa, chopped almonds, dried cherries and a bit of brown sugar. You can add milk if you'd like.

Quinoa dehydrates nicely after cooking, making this a great FBC option. Can be eaten hot or cold too.

I honestly would replace Q with quick oats. - not everone is up for that.

Spam singles for breakfast. Nuff said.

Spam is easy to disquise and dehydrate... Singles are not needed if you want to save money and have good food. - 1/2 a can be reduced to an ounce or two.

Same things I eat for lunch --- jerky, trail bar(s), dried fruit, gorp, crystal light packet in a gatorade bottle. Eat as much or as little of that on awakening as I'm inclined, then pack up and then optionally continue to munch while walking. No fuss, no muss, minimal time spent refueling the body. But then definitely go for the big breakfast in a restaurant when next in town! :-)

BL good post

I agree, get up, pack up, hike 2 miles than find a nice spot for breakfast. I like lucky charms, magic stars with powdered milke and a nice warm cup of hot cocoa followed by a couple of tablespoons of chunky peanut butter. carnation powdered milk is great with ice cold water.

Lucky Charms has never been on my list but its added now... change to Nido and dish peanut butter.

spam alert.... Whhat? the link was fine.

Instant grits and bangers.

BTW on the trail "bangers" are sliced up Slim Jims.

SJ? nasty... dog foo... wow.. take premium and boil fry brown a little then dehydrate.... see previous posts or PM. I am a huge fan of bangers.

WAFFLE HOUSE ham&cheese omelette with grits and toast. Tough one... everyone should exsperience WH.

SassyWindsor
04-10-2012, 23:02
Cherry pistachio power bars
1 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped small
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped small
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups unsweetened crisp brown rice cereal (check the organic health aisle... but if you can't find this just use regular rice crispy cereal, I also like to crush up other cereals and mix some in)
1 cup brown rice syrup (found at whole foods or a health/natural grocery store)
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a baking pan with any of the following: spray, butter, or coconut oil. For thick bars use an 8 by 8-inch pan; for thinner bars, use a 9 by 13-inch pan.On a rimmed baking sheet toast the pistachios until lightly golden, about 5-7 minutes. Toss once or twice along the way. Mix the oats, toasted nuts, dried fruits and the cereal, together in a large bowl and set aside.Combine the rice syrup, sugar, salt and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat, add about a 1/2 cup of protein powder (I use vanilla flavored) and stir constantly as it comes to a boil and thickens just a bit, about 4 minutes. Pour the syrup over the dry ingredient mixture and stir until it is evenly incorporated. Spread into the prepared pan - will be very sticky, use a spoon or waxed paper to press down. Cool to room temperature before cutting into whatever size bars you desire. Bars will be slightly sticky after cooling - I tend to wrap mine individually in parchment paperMakes 16 to 24 bars.

Tinker
04-11-2012, 00:16
I used to eat oatmeal almost exclusively. Since I came down with a case of the gout, I had to find something lower in purines. Now I use Mother's rolled whole grain cereal from Quaker. It's rolled wheat instead of oats. It's very good.
For cold cereal I like Grape Nuts. Lots of food value in a compact package.