PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Osprey Atmos 65: alternatives?

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 14:41
Got my Atmos 65 in the mail the other day (no stores around had it). Love the pack, but the water bottle pockets on the side are completely useless, which is a total disappointment and deal breaker for me: I don't want to avoid hydrating just because it's a pain. The pockets are too tight with a loaded pack, and if I get a bottle in there it either presses against my back or is totally inaccessible. I haven't had this problem with other packs.

I'm looking for alternatives to the Atmos, and would appreciate recommendations. I heading NOBO in early March, so I'll have a bit of warm weather gear (0 deg bag, down jacket, etc), thus the ~65L range is important. My base pack weight looks like it will settle around 15-20#.

I'm currently looking into the Gregory Baltoro 65. It's a bit heavier, but looks like a lot pack all around. Additionally, it looks like it is a bit less ventilated in the back, which will help with the cold start in March.

Suggestions?

skinewmexico
01-29-2012, 15:13
It's the golden age of USA built packs. Check out ULA, Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, or Z-Packs. For the size you're looking at, it's pretty tough to beat the ULA Catalyst (or Circuit), if your pack weight is reasonable.

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 16:06
The ULA Catalyst looks pretty great, but I don't think it is big enough for my winter gear. My gear doesn't weigh that much, but takes up a fair amount of volume.

bigcranky
01-29-2012, 16:12
Does your gear fit in the Atmos 65? That's not a very large pack, either. I would think the Catalyst would hold the same amount or a little more.

I get all my winter gear in a ULA Circuit. You might call ULA in the morning, talk about the gear you have, and let them help you with a pack.

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 16:24
My gear fits snugly in the Atmos 65. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the specs on the ULA Circuit appeared to be 47L. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see a reason why the same amount of gear wold fit in less volume.

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 16:28
My mistake, looks like I was looking at the Catalyst. The Circuit looks like almost 70L. Taking a look now.

tuswm
01-29-2012, 16:49
I have a ULA OHM and have had 2 different atmos 65s see my thread in this forum. The ULA packs use the space more efficiently. I have no problems reaching my water bottles. I just did a hike with a big down coat, stove, tent, 0* down bag and still had plenty of room. If I did a threw tomorrow it would be the bag I would take.

jakedatc
01-29-2012, 16:49
65L not big enough? lol. i have the Exos 58 and even in size small it's gigantic.

maybe post up a gear list and see if there is something to change to make the Atmos work? what about sliding a hydration bladder in the outside (or inside) instead? 2L is a pretty good amount to carry at once.. then have a Nalegene cantene soft bottle if you need to carry more?

Leanthree
01-29-2012, 17:04
I have the exos 46 and love it for up to 5 days. Last I checked they have the same sort of water bottle pockets which are snug but I found a couple workarounds. If you want a different pack then fine but I recommend you try the following cheap/free alternatives first that have worked for me (they seem simple so my apologies if you already tried them):

-Smaller water bottles (e.g. 3x 20oz gatorade bottle is only 4oz less than 2x 32 oz ones), carrying one in the back outside pocket and 2 in the side water bottle pockets.
-Water bottles go in first, then pack your pack.
-32 oz gatorade bottles inserted into the pocket cap-side first so that you use the wedge to your advantage.

Either way, have a great time out there.

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 17:09
65L not big enough? lol. i have the Exos 58 and even in size small it's gigantic.

maybe post up a gear list and see if there is something to change to make the Atmos work? what about sliding a hydration bladder in the outside (or inside) instead? 2L is a pretty good amount to carry at once.. then have a Nalegene cantene soft bottle if you need to carry more?

The issue isn't the size of the pack, it's the side pouches. They don't fit nalgenes, and I kinda assumed they did.

jakedatc
01-29-2012, 17:12
Along those lines.. taller skinnier bottles could work better. like SmartWater (or generic equivalent)

galaxyinfinite
01-29-2012, 17:17
I have the exos 46 and love it for up to 5 days. Last I checked they have the same sort of water bottle pockets which are snug but I found a couple workarounds. If you want a different pack then fine but I recommend you try the following cheap/free alternatives first that have worked for me (they seem simple so my apologies if you already tried them):

-Smaller water bottles (e.g. 3x 20oz gatorade bottle is only 4oz less than 2x 32 oz ones), carrying one in the back outside pocket and 2 in the side water bottle pockets.
-Water bottles go in first, then pack your pack.
-32 oz gatorade bottles inserted into the pocket cap-side first so that you use the wedge to your advantage.

Either way, have a great time out there.

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, I can still return the pack for full price, so as long as another pack is similarly priced, exchanging isn't a huge deal.

jakedatc
01-29-2012, 17:49
The issue isn't the size of the pack, it's the side pouches. They don't fit nalgenes, and I kinda assumed they did.

a) i was laughing at the guy who said that 65 L wasn't a very big pack. which is false unless you are carrying a spare mule.

b) you said " The pockets are too tight with a loaded pack" not sure what else you want me to think.

lemon b
01-29-2012, 20:42
I got one. Can relate to the water thing, kinda a reach. Give me another 1000 miles to figure it all out, Pack rides good.

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2012, 20:47
Just curious, have you rerouted the compression straps to the inside of the bottle holder? This should make a difference for how relatively easy it is to get to the bottles. I've never really had a problem with the bottle holders on the older model of this pack.

Sassafras Lass
01-29-2012, 21:45
Does your gear fit in the Atmos 65? That's not a very large pack, either. I would think the Catalyst would hold the same amount or a little more.

I get all my winter gear in a ULA Circuit. You might call ULA in the morning, talk about the gear you have, and let them help you with a pack.

+ 1.

In our thru attempt last spring, I had a 50L pack and my gear fit fine. Sold most of my gear and ended up 'downgrading' some (big poofy synthetic 0 degree bag vs. the barely 2 lbs. down 20 degree I had last year). So I required more room, and got the ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp), with which I'm pleased as punch. Seriously, the other day I tossed 17 lbs in it (my base weight should be just a bit lower than that) and that 19 lbs (the pack weighs only 36 oz.) felt like NOTHING. It rode extremely well and the next day I remembered that we had gone for a walk, but not that I was using my pack. Plus, buy American! Why would you support Communist countries by supporting companies that manufacture their goods elsewhere and are laughing all the way to the bank? ULA is a small venture out of Utah. Check it out.

Though for what it's worth, my husband has a 2010 Atmos 65, and it fits him so perfectly, and rides so well, that he's reluctant to go with anything else. That is, until he saw my Circuit. ;)

Sassafras Lass
01-29-2012, 21:48
..... it's the side pouches. They don't fit nalgenes, and I kinda assumed they did.

Well, it is a real tight fit. The first week I had to help my husband by retrieving his Nalgene, then he was able to maneuver enough to slip it out of the pocket himself. But man, those are tight pockets!

Sassafras Lass
01-29-2012, 22:27
My mistake, looks like I was looking at the Catalyst. The Circuit looks like almost 70L. Taking a look now.

Yes, you're right, the Circuit is 4200 cubic inches - divided by 60 = 70 liters. That is plenty big enough, but if you're unsure, please post your gear list and we can make suggestions about ways to save weight/find gear that does double duty/make fun of your trowel. As far as the Catalyst, it's their largest offering, I think you mistook the 47 oz. weight for the size.

skinewmexico
01-30-2012, 01:05
Yep, the Circuit is smaller than the Catalyst. For every 99 times I use my Circuit, I use my Catalyst once, since it's so huge. And people still use Nalgene's? Switch to Dasani; save a ton of weight, and get free water.