PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation sought - overnighter in Shenandoah..??

Uncle Walkie
01-29-2012, 16:40
I will be in Northern Va for work for a few days, but will have time to squeeze in a weekend hike.

Can anyone recommend a good hike for an overnighter? I'm ok with an out and back. I'm looking at maybe a 12-15 mile section (camp then hike the 12-15 back the next day)

Appreciate your input

Semper Fi

johnnybgood
01-29-2012, 17:22
This is my favorite overnighter in the northern district, a really pretty trail in the spring with the Trillium and other flowers blooming.
The trailhead begins at the rear of Elkwallow Picnic Area at milepost 24 on the Skyline Drive. This is a 12.1 mile loop hike that follows Jeremys Run fording the stream a dozen times as it descends from Knob Mountain.
Campsites are at the sag where you pick up the Knob Mountain Trail.

This trail can be somewhat challenging,especially with the stream fordings.

Pick up a northern district map at the entrance station. I'm thinking they're $7, maybe $8.

1azarus
01-29-2012, 17:32
I like johnnybgood's suggestion - just be careful -- the drive is likely to be closed either the day you want to drive to elkwallow or the day you want to drive away. johnnybgood -- can you access that trail without driving to elkwallow?

johnnybgood
01-29-2012, 17:44
I like johnnybgood's suggestion - just be careful -- the drive is likely to be closed either the day you want to drive to elkwallow or the day you want to drive away. johnnybgood -- can you access that trail without driving to elkwallow? Park at Thornton Gap at milepost 31 and walk the 7 miles north on the AT to the trailhead. Actually that sounds like something the OP might be interesed in, making the 1st day a 12 mile day to the intended campsite,then returning back 12 miles or pushing a long 19 miler on day 2.

johnnybgood
01-29-2012, 17:49
Actually 14 miles.

1azarus
01-29-2012, 18:01
actually, if the road is closed, you can just make those skyline drive road walk miles -- with no cars around, that'll be pretty nice... well, or you could road walk one way, take the AT the other...