PDA

View Full Version : Hiking clothes are the new in thing

keepinitsimple
01-29-2012, 17:19
It seems that technical clothes, or hiking apparel are the "in" thing. A friend noticed our local REI gear section getting smaller and more clothes for sale. I have also seen entire familes shopping there. I don't get it. The specialized clothes I buy to hike and backpack are kept seperate from my everyday clothes. I couldn't afford to wear my hiking clothes on an everyday basis. Not that I would'nt like to wear them every day.

I have noticed that EMS doesn't even carry Thorlos, and their book section is a joke. EMS seems like a place for college kids to buy fashions like North Face. North Face is now a world wide label like Coke, or McDonalds. I can't knock their clothes- never had enough $$ to buy them.

So this is where we are as a culture- not all who wear hiking clothes are hikers- kind of funny. Not all who drink from Nalgene bottles have hiked on the AT. And not all of the EMS/REI employees know how to lightweight backpack. I guess it should be true enough- not all who wear hip-hop clothes are from the 'hood either.

Just an observation. Fashion comes and goes.

Tenderheart
01-29-2012, 17:35
You finally got it. You don't have to be a hiker, runner, skier, or woodsman. You just have to look like you are. I find it very annoying that one cannot go into a Footlocker and buy a decent pair of running shoes. One can't find useful backpacking gear in an REI or EMS. They just don't carry it.

TJ aka Teej
01-29-2012, 17:37
All my clothes are hiking clothes. I had no idea I've been "in" for decades.

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2012, 18:13
I agree that this trend has been going on for a while. I was lucky that when I got back into backpacking my local EMS had a good staff including several thru hikers, unfortunately I have since learned they this is the exception and not the rule for chain outfitters.The funny thing about it is that as my initial gear is starting to wear out I am replacing it with much cheaper alternatives, Costco synthetic shirts and thrift shop polyester works just as well as underarmour and Padagucci in my experience.

Amanita
01-29-2012, 18:38
What's annoying is that the "designer" clothes are driving out even the clothes that I would actually hike in. My local outfitters are swamped with $300 "down jackets" in which the shell weighs more than the fill. If I'm going to pay that much for a down item, I expect it to have a better warmth to weight ratio than synthetic fleece.

There are plenty of people who wear "hiker chic" in my classes that drive across campus to class (less than a mile) and look shocked when I suggest that they could WALK in those $200 hiking boots with that cozy warm $300 down jacket.

quilteresq
01-29-2012, 19:31
In November, I spent a day in Washington, DC. Since I was doing a turn-around trip - driving down to deliver my old car to my daughter and traveling by train on the way home, I had backpack to kick around Washington - nothing fancy - I took my Ray-way pack. Once I was on the subway, I noticed a very citified guy in a very nice North Face jacket staring at me. It was only after I got off the subway that I realized I had on a North Face polar fleece headband I had grabbed from the hat bin in our house. I then wondered if it was the new fashion trend in the city. Guess so.

Blissful
01-29-2012, 19:34
As long as people get the idea what they can be used for and go take a hike...no biggie to me.

keepinitsimple
01-29-2012, 19:54
Padagucchi, Hiker chic- good stuff. Hey I love REI, best store policies ever. I am just getting pushed out. Married, father of 3, underemployed. Most of my gear is pre nuptual, home made, or thrift store- and I am proud of that. Good thing I saw the Lynne Wheldon Video. I remember when I got a sarcastic compliment on my pack on the AT maybe 10 years ago. A proud moment- some ***** head with 50 lbs on his back smirking at me. Go ahead buddy. I will hike into old age God willing .Another thing- I see certain products being pushed by REI and Backpacker Mag- I wonder of they have an unstated relationship?

I am late with all of this stuff. Just shooting from the hip . I love hiking.

Papa D
01-29-2012, 19:59
You are right about this trend and there are reasons for it not mentioned - being around "outdoor retail" a bit, I can tell you that there is much more profit in what is termed "soft goods" - like a North Face fleece sweater than say a western mountaineering sleeping bag or some Black Diamond Sabretooth climbing crampons - (extremes here, for example) - you turn your stock and make more money and (in the case of REI) the sales staff doesn't have to be (umm, errr) expert. Now, this creates another problem for backpackers committed to quality clothing and gear -- manufacturers (like North Face - now owned by Vanity Fair) realize that 90% of their clients are not "users" but buy their crap to mall-walk - so, the quality goes down -- way down -- I remember not long ago actually speaking to a guy in the A-5 (climbing subsidiary to NF) on the factory floor - he actually customized something for me on the spot - doubt that would happen today. There are still some good brands - ArcTeryx, MontBell, Western Mountaineering, MSR, but I think and hope that the little cottage industry companies will start filling in the gaps too folks like Etowah Outfitters, Ray Jardine, Clark Jungle, etc. might start getting my business more.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2012, 20:10
But then, if these big "box" stores sold only true hiking gear, just to hikers, they wouldn't be around for long. Everyone needs clothes of some kind. A lot fewer need backpacks, sleeping bags, tents and what not.

rocketsocks
01-29-2012, 20:12
Just Today I purchased a 650 weight down jacket from EMS.This was a early birth day gift,and suits my needs perfectly,not to heavy not to much fill, I had 50 dollar gift certificate,and was able to take advantage of a large winter sale that has been running for a while now(but tweaked a little bit each week).A $119.00 jacket @ 50% off was $59.00 and I am happy.This jacket stuffs into it's own inside zippered pocket to also become a pillow(another luxury item I have to have) and a great use of dual purpose item the pillow is approx.9x12 but will scrunch much smaller and the pocket is not a tight fit for once,so no trying to stuff 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag.It weighs 1lb.4oz.But this isn't about that.is it?There products seem to run on the high price side but like all my shopping practices"Ya gotta shop the sales"there are some things I just won't and don't buy there.The original poster is correct in that traditional gear companies are moving into a market that sale to the every day person.Business 101 says move into an existing market for a possible 50% share,If you see a Mcdonalds chances are there is a Burger king across the street,it just makes good business since.We live in a global economy now and competition is fierce.Hey ,I also shop at the Red White and Blue store,recently saw a TNFace Shell Gore Tex For $49 dollars and would have bought it if it was my size,but XLs not even close nor was the price for a used jacket,but hey there price is there price, supply and demand.I don't give "One Tater Tot"what someone wears,I'm an individual and wear what I like ,I just happen to like loose fitting form fits function Zip-offs,with colors,sizes,and price in my range.My family thinks it's kooky looking to wear long johns with zip off pants in the shorts mode,sandals with sox and long sleeve polyester shirt in the summer and winter,but that's what I live in and have for years......I'm a Geek Hiker trash non sleepin in the park,drum playing,wannabe thru hiker,down in the dirt,trendy clothes wearin.......and I hike,vote,live,love my garb is my garb,and I DIG IT.Isn't America great?you decide.

HeartFire
01-29-2012, 20:16
And the women's clothing items are "fashionable" and certainly NOT "Functionable"

jakedatc
01-29-2012, 20:23
North Face and Patagucci have been popular for over 10 years. Mountain Hardware and Arc'Teryx are catching up in the past 5.

this is not a new thing.

you can get plenty of hiking gear at REI and EMS i'm not sure what you're missing but i'm curious what you can't find?

topshelf
01-29-2012, 20:37
I always get crap for wearing hiking clothes as I teach. Wearing straight hiking pants, boots, and collared shirts. I always wear them unless its a day when the school board is coming in.

keepinitsimple
01-29-2012, 21:00
I can get whatever I want at the stores mentioned. I am just commenting on who I am sharing the store with now, and who works there. Truth is I spend most of my time cutting base weight down and seeing how little I can go with. But, to give you an example of how these stores are changing. I wanted to go from the Esbit fueld cube holder to their emergency model, which I know the store had. The push of clothes has pushed all of the hard gear in to a corner and the selection is low. Fine though, I used two rocks with my fuel cube for tea today- works just fine.

I think it's funny how the fashion industry is now the outdoor clothing industry- never saw it comming- it's probably related to the Green movement- which is a good thing.

Rocket Socks- Thanks for the insiders view

NotYet
01-29-2012, 21:05
It does seem that women's "outdoor clothes" are designed to be cute, not to be worn on a backpacking trip. I've noticed over the years that the women's pockets are getting smaller and smaller...large enough for lipstick which I'm not taking, but not big enough for maps or guidebooks which I like to be able to access without taking off my pack! I've been wearing the men's pants for several years as a result, but lately, the men's pockets have begun to shrink, too!

Papa D
01-29-2012, 21:35
You know what bothers me more than the fashion is VANITY SIZING - I'm a 32" waist guy with a 31" inseam but if I buy a pair of jeans with that measurement, they will fall off me. The same thing is true with Patagonia stuff - which I love but it's soo "roomy" - it really sucks for actual movement - I like my stuff to fit - not tight: but a technical fit - and you can forget so called "relaxed fit" that means it will really fall off. I've gone to wearing a lot of Saucony running stuff to hike in - it still fits pretty good.

Amanita
01-29-2012, 22:05
You're right about that Papa D. With women's clothes it's much worse, because they're not even theoretically beholden to standard sizes. But if you give a size in INCHES, shouldn't that garment actually be the stated size?

Deep down, this is part of the beef I have with boy scouts. To buy a non refundable insanely expensive uniform, only to have it arrive 15 inches larger than the size given (size was given in inches). Stuck wearing a squirrel suit all summer. The BSA must make a killer profit on selling clothing that's the wrong size.

rocketsocks
01-29-2012, 22:20
My wife had the same experience with her leader uniform for cub scouts and girl.mine clothes are aways a little long too,I just deal with it.but then again,don't care not one tater tot.

mirabela
01-29-2012, 23:48
Look on the bright side -- while not everyone wearing that stuff is getting outside much, some are. I certainly see more people out on the trails in winter than I used to when my Dachstein mittens, Sherpa snowshoes, 60/40 anorak and woolen Canadian army pants were like some secret known only to God and me. They're selling a lot more gear and clothes, and a lot better gear and clothes, and some of it is actually getting used.

jakedatc
01-30-2012, 00:30
Oh, and the mark up on clothing is a TON TON TON more than on gear. So selling clothes to anyone who will buy makes the store a lot more money than buying a stove or trekking poles.

I agree on womens stuff, my girlfriend gets mad about crappy pockets and pastel colors

Tinker
01-30-2012, 02:06
There's nothing new about city folks wearing hiking clothing. Robert Alden Rubin bemoaned that fact in his book On the Beaten Path, in which he wrote about his 1997 thruhike. In the 1970's, when I first started hiking, heavy hiking boots and down jackets were worn by lots of college kids (including me, but I hiked).

Todd Tarbox
01-30-2012, 04:16
The other Day I saw this person in a Minnesota Twins jersey. I went up to him to get his autograph. Im a huge Twins fan. The Guy doesn't even play baseball!! Couldn't believe he was wearing a jersey and dosen't play!!!

Toolshed
01-30-2012, 08:14
It's called survival - And it is good for hikers - It allows manufacturers to diversify their product line, increase profits and ROI, meaning they can further invest in newer materials and clothing research.. Back when I worked at EMS in the 80's, we had destination stores and mall stores. Destination stores are where the bulk of hardgear was sold and where the more knowledgeable employees wanted to work. If you were a techie, it was a great place for backpacking, climbing & paddling . The mall stores had some hardgear, but the focus was clothing. Outdoor clothing. Outdoor appearing clothing. Clothing has the most profit and moves the fastest. Simple case in point what % of N needs an MSR whisperlite to actually cook in 0 degree weather versus the % of N that needs an outdoor down coat to appear to cook in 0 degree weather.

rocketsocks
01-30-2012, 08:28
The other Day I saw this person in a Minnesota Twins jersey. I went up to him to get his autograph. I'm a huge Twins fan. The Guy doesn't even play baseball!! Couldn't believe he was wearing a jersey and doesn't play!!!That's is very funny,same thing happened to me,but I didn't pick up on it and was wondering why someone would want me to sign there shopping bag,I mean just cause I'm wearing a dallas cowboy jersey,I clearly don't look like a football player at a 155 lbs.Maybe a water boy or something.But still I signed......Is that even legal?:)

rocketsocks
01-30-2012, 08:32
It's called survival - And it is good for hikers - It allows manufacturers to diversify their product line, increase profits and ROI, meaning they can further invest in newer materials and clothing research.. Back when I worked at EMS in the 80's, we had destination stores and mall stores. Destination stores are where the bulk of hardgear was sold and where the more knowledgeable employees wanted to work. If you were a techie, it was a great place for backpacking, climbing & paddling . The mall stores had some hardgear, but the focus was clothing. Outdoor clothing. Outdoor appearing clothing. Clothing has the most profit and moves the fastest. Simple case in point what % of N needs an MSR whisperlite to actually cook in 0 degree weather versus the % of N that needs an outdoor down coat to appear to cook in 0 degree weather.We have a very funny picture of a friend winter grilling in a huge north face jacket...huge, can't even see his head just smoke coming out there his head should be.

rocketsocks
01-30-2012, 08:39
Oh, and the mark up on clothing is a TON TON TON more than on gear. So selling clothes to anyone who will buy makes the store a lot more money than buying a stove or trekking poles.

I agree on women's stuff, my girlfriend gets mad about crappy pockets and pastel colorsGirls got it made they can accessorize in many more ways than men...or so I've been told......repeatedly.;)Don't wear that ,it looks girly."So call me Clinger and pat me on the tootoo"."Girlymen untie":D

upstream
01-30-2012, 09:21
The more stuff the "outdoor" stores sell to the mainstream, the more hiking stuff will appear in mainstream stores like Target, Pennys, Kmart, Ross. Now, middle class folks like me can actually afford to wear real hiking clothes, and kids going into the woods the first time can actually afford to wear something other than cotton.

Tenderheart
01-30-2012, 10:18
I think and hope that the little cottage industry companies will start filling in the gaps too folks like Etowah Outfitters, Ray Jardine, Clark Jungle, etc. might start getting my business more.

Yes, I definitely think that cottage industry is the way to go for folks that are serious about their sport, whatever it may be. And I guess that's kinda sad.

mgeiger
01-30-2012, 12:27
Part of my commute involves sharing a train with a lot of private school kids. Apparently, in that school, you're a nobody if you don't have a North Face fleece and backpack that mom bought you at the outlet mall.

TheYoungOne
01-30-2012, 14:39
I find it and also annoying. Anyone notice how patagonia micropuff jackets are becoming trendy now. I explain to my non hiking friends that the jacket is good because it packs down reall small, and it has good weightto warmth ratio, but it seem the only reason why people are buying them is because they are expensive and they come in bright colors. I am seeing knock-offs everywhere, even Old Navy. It annoys me because I think it drives up the price of some clothing, and like other mentioned outdoor outfitters will focus more on clothing and less on gear becase that is what sells.
It also drove me away from Northface and some patagonia gear, because those brands are mostly worn by yuppie soccer moms where I live.

RetroGear
01-30-2012, 15:50
I’ve always believed that the design philosophy for backpacking/climbing/hunting/outdoor gear should be that form follows function. That used to be so, but starting some years ago that began to change. When I bought a down sleeping bag from Eddie Bauer in the early 1970s, they sold hard-core, honest-to-God expedition gear. Over the years EB has morphed, so that today there is an EB store in major malls everywhere, and all they sell is cheaply made (in the PRC or elsewhere in Asia), overpriced clothing. I understand that they’re getting back into expedition gear, and EB will no doubt claim that they’ve been outfitting expeditions since forever, but I would no longer trust the fashion clothing company that EB has become to make quality outdoor gear.

Sort of the same thing has happened to REI, TNF, SD, and many others. The quality of their clothing has declined, and it is become more “fashionable” in the process. Some of their clothing is just stupidly designed (for example, the buttonholes on REI’s Mojave Convertible Pants, which are otherwise excellent pants, are oriented horizontally rather than vertically – it sounds trivial, but if you’ve ever actually worn these pants, you know what I mean) or have been manufactured as cheaply as possible (REI now often uses Velcro to secure pockets which should be secured with zippers). The down sweater that I bought back in the day was thick and puffy. Today’s down sweaters have many more lines of stitching channeling the down, and undoubtedly have a higher fashion factor, but won’t insulate nearly as well … which, ‘scuse me, is what I thought you bought a down sweater for.

But, as others have pointed out, there is a higher markup on clothing than on almost anything else they sell. Joe Cool won’t buy an MSR stove or a MH sleeping bag, but he will buy a looks-outdoorsy TNF jacket or Patagonia fleece.

EB, REI, TNF, et al. are businesses, and businesses gravitate to where the money is.

mirabela
01-30-2012, 16:33
I feel like a snark saying this, but -- not one of us is out hiking or climbing mountains when we read & post here ... just sayin' ...

hikerboy57
01-30-2012, 16:56
back in the 70s before we knew better, hiking clothes were big too. jeans and t shirts!
in defense of EMS, i have purchased quite a few private label items from them that have stood up well. the new EMS store near me has expanded their climbing gear, has a pretty good selection of packs,bags and tents and ive found every salesperson ive dealt with to have realtime experience in the backcountry.
whatll turn my head is if i see "city"people carrying water filters in lieu of their precious bottled water.with streets in NYC clearly marked and numbered N/S,E/W, they still need GPS to get around.
Lets face it. everyonewants to be one of the cool kids, and backpacking is cool.its no different than people driving 4x4s built for off road which have vnever seen dirt.

Sarcasm the elf
01-30-2012, 18:34
I feel like a snark saying this, but -- not one of us is out hiking or climbing mountains when we read & post here ... just sayin' ...Sadly I have to admit that more than once I have posted to this site from the comfort of my tent on the trail. Just sayin ;-)

keepinitsimple
01-30-2012, 20:08
To some extent, long ago, if I ended up wearing my hiking kit in public it kind of put more eyes on me or something. It has now moved in to status quo.

You know what started the whole thread? Money. I don't have it. It took a day of reading your posts for me to melt it down. To some extent I want to be the prep school kid, or the soccer mom. I see them. But instead I am a down and dirty- no showering, outdoor guy w/ 3 kids ( 1 more and we get free cheese) . Most of my technical clothes requires serious thought and sales, or thirft stores ( don't forget golf store end of season sales!) . My lower nature says people are taking something that is yours. I know it's crazy, but I am crazy. How about people dress however they want and I focus on getting out in the woods and not the current state of retail box stores in the US? Let's get back on the trail!

Amanita
01-30-2012, 20:31
The thing is, I don't often see people actually hiking in TNF or patagonia clothing. I see a lot of off brands (no label), some running clothes, military style on some of the weekenders and cotton on a lot of the day hikers.

And personally, I don't buy brands like patagonia unless the sale is absurd (<%50 msrp). And comparing apples to apples it seems like some other brands (for example montbell) have significantly better clothing (lighter, higher loft down, more down) for about 2/3 the price.

jakedatc
01-30-2012, 20:31
The down sweater that I bought back in the day was thick and puffy. Today’s down sweaters have many more lines of stitching channeling the down, and undoubtedly have a higher fashion factor, but won’t insulate nearly as well … which, ‘scuse me, is what I thought you bought a down sweater for.

Well, the current trend in outdoor gear is lighter and more compressible and more multipurpose. You can layer a merino shirt, down sweater and rain jacket and get much more uses for the same carried weight than a big puffy. (which they still make btw.. Mtn hardware DAS, TNF Nupse, etc) Also velcro is lighter, many jackets have hood or no hood options too.

If you don't like how a garment is designed then don't buy it. There are tons of options out there so you should be able to find something you are happy with. I've had the same REI convertible hiking pants for over 10 years, i haven't bought new ones since I like them and they have plenty of life left. I don't wear them climbing since they aren't designed for that. Just like I wouldn't take a Nano puffy skiing or a ski parka backpacking.

Pringles
01-30-2012, 20:44
There's nothing new about city folks wearing hiking clothing. Robert Alden Rubin bemoaned that fact in his book On the Beaten Path, in which he wrote about his 1997 thruhike. In the 1970's, when I first started hiking, heavy hiking boots and down jackets were worn by lots of college kids (including me, but I hiked).

Since I was a college student and had the boots, I took up hiking. It worked out rather well. ;-)

d.o.c
01-30-2012, 20:52
Sadly I have to admit that more than once I have posted to this site from the comfort of my tent on the trail. Just sayin ;-) guilty too ive sat on mcfee knob, tinker cliffs and countless places along the parkway and messed around on here from my phone i get bored somtimes by myself..

d.o.c
01-30-2012, 20:56
The trail is important for your sanity

blackbird04217
01-30-2012, 21:35
Correction; *Trails are important for sanity.

d.o.c
01-30-2012, 22:07
Correction; *Trails are important for sanity. ill agree with that well fixed.

MuddyWaters
01-30-2012, 22:27
And the farthest off road most 4wheel drives ever get is an unpaved parking lot.

I drive a big 4wd truck, but rarely go offroad anymore.

I wear melanzana fleece, patagonia nanopuff, convertible pants , ul shortsleeve shirts all the time. Might as well get some use out of them. If they wear out, Ill buy more. Why pay 100 for an item and just let it sit?

North face definitely just a retail consumer brand of clothing now. They sold out years ago. Their highest end gear is still good, the rest is junk. 95% of the clothing..junk. But, so are quite a few other names out there. Fortunately when one company sells out, someone else steps up to make quality gear usually.

Shadowalker
01-30-2012, 23:08
New Kid on the block , Im still putting my gear together for March , Im doing pretty good with my choices of gear , Tryin to stay in the Light weight category to keep my pack weight down , Clothes , Is an issue , I,ve read all your posts , And it might as well been a TXT. Mess. , Being from Carlisle Pa. where the Trail runs just outside of town , I thought local stores would be up on clothes for the Trail , But Im not sure what Im looking for , And where to buy it , Any input appriceated , Im Old School , got a set these Blue Jeans aside , N let em rest , so I can putt some real clothes on. NoBo in March !! PS. Half way point rite outside of Carlisle , Few miles South !!

Shadowalker
01-30-2012, 23:17
State of Confusion , Bring that Mudder to Central Pa. , ( Carlisle ) , You,ll definatly get it out of the parking lot , Make sure you have a Winch on the front ,lol / It could come in handy !!

hikerboy57
01-31-2012, 08:23
drug dealers love cargo pants and parkas, baggy clothes for their stashes. the hip hop crowd made both timberland and TNF famous with the urban crowd.
but these clothes are highly functional,warm and dry for commuters who wait in the elements for their trains and buses... its a jungle out there!
not that theres anything wrong with that.

blackbird04217
01-31-2012, 10:16
Why is it clothing, which is as important (if not more so?) as a sleeping bag, does not have temperature ratings? This morning I woke and must have had some residual thoughts from this thread, and figured- why not build an analog human torso, with water that cycles around. Heat the water to X, put a parka on it- hands in pocket and place the thing in a freezer and measure how long it takes to drop the water to Y. (Also a slight breeze in the freezer would be a good addition).

I'm sure the test is not fully accurate, but would think it would work for a good rating since it would test how well/long temperature is retained.

Mags
01-31-2012, 10:20
Does it really matter if people appropriate outdoor clothing for fashion?

In the grand scheme of things, who cares? :)

As one poster said, the trickle down effect is nice. I can buy inexpensive, but very serviceable, outdoor clothing at other places. Love my Costco softshell for $30. The Champion-branded shirts, socks and running shorts at Target are an awesome deal. And I can buy a 'knock-around' fleece (camping, trail work, working on my car) for less than $20.

So if people want to subsidize me by buying the very expensive Northface clothing at an outdoor store, so be it. Lets my favorite outdoor store survive so I can buy hard goods, too. :)

hikerboy57
01-31-2012, 10:23
[QUOTE=blackbird04217;1246876]Why is it clothing, which is as important (if not more so?) as a sleeping bag, does not have temperature ratings? This morning I woke and must have had some residual thoughts from this thread, and figured- why not build an analog human torso, with water that cycles around. Heat the water to X, put a parka on it- hands in pocket and place the thing in a freezer and measure how long it takes to drop the water to Y. (Also a slight breeze in the freezer would be a good addition).

I'm sure the test is not fully accurate, but would think it would work for a good rating since it would test how well/long temperature is retained.[/QUOTE
i dont think it would be any more accurate than sleeping bag ratings, and probably less useful, as a good layering system is really the key to staying warm and dry.

jakedatc
01-31-2012, 22:47
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/403354_362403693772103_1149187485_n.jpg

Feral Bill
01-31-2012, 23:37
Yes, I definitely think that cottage industry is the way to go for folks that are serious about their sport, whatever it may be. And I guess that's kinda sad. Don't forget, REI, TNF, Sierra Designs, Jan Sport, etc. all started as cottage businesses. Some went big, others went bust, very few stayed small and profitable.

Feral Bill
01-31-2012, 23:41
Sadly I have to admit that more than once I have posted to this site from the comfort of my tent on the trail. Just sayin ;-) Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

Northbound2013
02-01-2012, 00:11
I've always had friends that wore expensive hiking gear and kinda talked the talk for many years, although here recently I've realized that they were full of it and didn't know a thing about one; the type of material that the clothing was made of and two; what are the best uses. I've been wanting to hike the AT for a few years now and things just came together to start the trail Mar 2013. Now I don't own expensive gear "yet" but my waredrobe is slowly going from Button Down Dress Shirt and Slacks to very comfortable hiking gear (that I wish I could afford to wear them everyday).

I get the same feelings about employees at REI and other outdoor stores, when you ask them about certain gear or best uses it's like your sitting in a training class and they are reading straight from the manual/Tag. Anyways great discussion and any ideas from all you seasoned Vets are more than welcome.

jakedatc
02-01-2012, 12:24
I get the same feelings about employees at REI and other outdoor stores, when you ask them about certain gear or best uses it's like your sitting in a training class and they are reading straight from the manual/Tag. Anyways great discussion and any ideas from all you seasoned Vets are more than welcome.

Ever worked at one? Ever been asked about a piece of gear you're really not there to be selling but the guy who knows more about it is out that day or with someone else? You just have to do the best you can. I can talk to you for weeks about every piece of climbing gear in REI but I don't know hardly anything about kayaks. But i've done both and shared what i knew as best i could.

I've found the people who trash employees have never been in their shoes and should really think about that. If you know so much then you shouldn't need to ask questions.

beakerman
02-01-2012, 16:24
This trend, if you really want to call good business that, will continue and will end on the same note as RadioShack. Back shortly after the earth cooled and the first RadioShack stores opened you could go there and find technical people and all the bits and peices to make some pretty cool electronics, assuming you were so inclined. Now if it isn't a blisterpack finished product you will struggle to find it there and forget asking one of the folks there if a given switch will handle a 10 amperes @ 250VAC...they haven't a clue.

So all those "techie" places you now go to get your real hardware will continue to morph into clothing stores and there is nothing you can do about it. Even the companies that make the gear will start cutting gear lines. In the crappy economy its all about maximizing profits and lean manufacturing. Which means since clothing is arguably the most profitable product line the less profitable hardware lines will continue to shrink as a percentage and eventually each company will cut them off.

This is not to say this will result in not being able to get the hardware you will just have to buy someplace else and probably from a different manufacturer.

jakedatc
02-01-2012, 16:30
Also, before you bash the employees. recognize that they are being paid $8-9/hr. Unless it's a side job most people with more expertise are going to be managers or elsewhere in the outdoor business. A floor staff employee is not a very profitable venture and people who are the most qualified to do it are not going to settle for that kind of money.

moocow
02-01-2012, 16:58
i already know i'm going to look like a sellout on the trail. my nearest outfitter sells, almost exlusively, north face when it comes to clothes. i've asked for other brands, offered to pay to have them shipped. after all, i want to buy local and help the little guy out. but they say almost all of their business these days comes from selling the north face branded winter gear to teens. either way, they do give me a large discount for being a regular, and its usually cheaper than even the best online retailers; so call me what you will, i'll just be the cool guy to all the girly girls in town. :)

tophatxj
02-02-2012, 04:06
I wear my merral hiking shoes daily.

ljcsov
02-03-2012, 11:20
As mentioned by others, I fail to see what's wrong with people wearing "hiking" clothes for everyday use.

The winter rounds up herds of people wearing TNF due to the cold and blustry conditions. Without a doubt, TNF jackets keep you warm if you are walking down the street or high up in the mountain. The TNF Denali proves to be a best seller for TNF and you witness it everyday when you are out and about. Why does everyone have one? It's warm and light. I'd much rather wear it as a casual everyday jacket as opposed to a heavy and cumbersome wool jacket. Plus, unlike many other fashion based jackets, it actually keeps me warm.

As long as the outdoor clothing manufacterers continue to make innovative clothing worn by athletes in the harshest conditions that most of us will never experience, I don't think there is must room for questioning their integrity in the business.

JAK
02-03-2012, 15:31
I don't think the sort of trash I wear hiking is all that new, or fashionable.
I guess to me it is. :-)

hikerboy57
02-03-2012, 15:39
maybe functionality itself is a fashion trend. not too long ago, female commuters decided wearing heels while commuting might look good, but their feet hurt, so they opted to wear running shoes on the commute and change back to heels at work.if you think about it, would it be more practical to wear a suit ,shirt and tie in a rainstorm, or a Marmot PreCip?is it the romantic notion of backpacking or is it simply more comfortable and functional?among the wealthy ski wear was the in thing years ago. but you cant wear skiboots on the street, so they've gone to timba lans.

birdygal
02-03-2012, 15:42
I have lightweight and quick dry stuff for the trail .
but it's cotton tshirts and blue jeans everywhere else

Hiking Man
02-03-2012, 15:43
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lypxdcIbE41qz9wzuo1_400.png

jakedatc
02-03-2012, 15:57
Posted that in the last page.. try to keep up eh?

NotYet
02-03-2012, 18:18
I don't care if non-hikers wear "hiking clothes"...I just wish that the hiking clothes were being designed more for their function than their fashion. I'd be wonderful if the women's outdoor clothes were designed to be functional for backpacking and everyone one else wanted to wear it, too. That would ensure that they kept making functional clothes!!! Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find the stuff that I like...but then again, I have no fashion sense!

NotYet
02-03-2012, 18:19
I meant "It would be" instead of "I'd"....oops

Sarcasm the elf
02-05-2012, 21:29
There is one big advantage about hiking clothing becoming a fashion statement, it means that lots of high quality technical clothing is starting to make it's way into thrift shops. I just picked up a North Face puffy jacket for $50 and an pair of fleece pants for $8, if I had known about this a couple of years ago it would have saved me a lot of money on hiking clothing.

Now if we can just find a way to convince people that tents, ultralight backpacks, sleeping bags, and climbing gear is trendy as well...:rolleyes:

atmilkman
02-05-2012, 21:56
Try looking at it this way. Hikers are cool. Therefore, hikers clothes are cool. People want to be cool. People want to be or wish they could be hikers, since they can't the next best thing is to look like one. To imitate one. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Take it as a compliment.

hikerboy57
02-06-2012, 11:46
whats wrong with function? think about the usefulness of a necktie. outside of a convenient way to hang oneself from the stress of urban living, and possible alternative napkin, what use is it?and personally, id like to see more stillettos on the trail.:)

The Historian
02-06-2012, 12:17
It's not just hiking clothes. Some cycling items are commonly used by non-cyclists - the messenger bag, originally designed for bike couriers, has been upscaled beyond belief. That said, I guess we are lucky lycra shorts haven't been mass marketed yet.

atmilkman
02-06-2012, 12:53
It's not just hiking clothes. Some cycling items are commonly used by non-cyclists - the messenger bag, originally designed for bike couriers, has been upscaled beyond belief. That said, I guess we are lucky lycra shorts haven't been mass marketed yet.
Or for that matter- cammo hiking thongs for men.

GrassyNoel
02-24-2012, 00:06
I probably do more walking and being in the elements here in NYC than many people do elsewhere where they have cars, parking lots, etc. I'm happy to have well-made, warm clothing while waiting for the bus in the cold rain. Perhaps,to some of you, I might even look like a non-hiker on your average weekday...

Mrs Baggins
02-24-2012, 07:51
back in the 70s before we knew better, hiking clothes were big too. jeans and t shirts!
in defense of EMS, i have purchased quite a few private label items from them that have stood up well. the new EMS store near me has expanded their climbing gear, has a pretty good selection of packs,bags and tents and ive found every salesperson ive dealt with to have realtime experience in the backcountry.
whatll turn my head is if i see "city"people carrying water filters in lieu of their precious bottled water.with streets in NYC clearly marked and numbered N/S,E/W, they still need GPS to get around.
Lets face it. everyonewants to be one of the cool kids, and backpacking is cool.its no different than people driving 4x4s built for off road which have vnever seen dirt.

I bought one of their own Gortex jackets in 2002, my first one. I couldn't afford the $300+ ones and their label was $139 at that time. I still have that jacket and it's still as completely waterproof now as it was then.

As for the choice in womens clothing for hiking, I am sick unto death of the tiny form-fitted t-shirts that seem to be the only type REI carries. I used to buy their REI Tech-T's - 100% poly as soft as cotton, loose, boxy, comfy. Wonderful. Then they stopped carrying them because they (as a store rep told me) believed women wanted the tight form fitting shirts in the garish colors and hideous stretchy ichty fabrics. So I started buying the North Face version in Mens Small.(the REI Tech-T in Mens Small was still too big). Then THEY stopped making the shirt!! Now, when someone in my hiking group asks me where to buy hiking clothes I tell them to go to any Target, Wal-Mart, Ross', etc and go to the "Active" racks. Cheap, loose, comfy. I think even more over-sold than NF in the "outdoors" dept is UnderArmor. I. Hate. It. I hate the feel of the fabric and I am allergic to silver- the fabric is impregnated with silver nitrate and it feels like a 1000 needles on my skin. My husband can't wear it either and he's not allergic. But to the NF thing - we were in a local pub and I counted 8 NF jackets and trust me, those jackets probably never saw anything more rugged than a brick sidewalk. Kinda like those pristine super-pricey 4WD vehicles that you just know have never once been off of a paved highway.

garlic08
02-24-2012, 10:18
My wife and I went on a semi-adventurous off-trail trek yesterday up on Mingus Mt. Lingering snow, slick mud, bushwhacking, even climbed an alligator juniper tree to get to a geocache. Filthy after the hike, we looked at each other and realized we didn't have a stitch of "hiking clothes" between us--just old sweats, running shoes, old nylon windbreakers. We had a GPS to find the cache, but absolutely none of the "ten essentials" other than a nice picnic lunch. Luckily we didn't run into any people up there, or any "real" hikers with gear. It would have been so embarrassing.

There's a mile-long hike around an urban lake in the last town we lived in, in the foothills above a major city, and we used to see people come up from the city decked out in convertible trousers, Patagucci jackets, Leki poles and gaiters even, for that hike and come staggering in to the local coffee shop afterwards for refreshment. Funny.

chief
02-24-2012, 13:59
... But to the NF thing - we were in a local pub and I counted 8 NF jackets and trust me, those jackets probably never saw anything more rugged than a brick sidewalk. Kinda like those pristine super-pricey 4WD vehicles that you just know have never once been off of a paved highway.First pub patron, "Hey, what's with those weird people in the corner? Looks like they're counting and taking notes." Second pub patron, "Who knows, but I saw them earlier in the parking lot crawling under a Range Rover. I think they were looking mud or something. Really weird!"